• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: "If Xbox can't beat PS5 this holiday, I'm not sure it ever will"

I'm no console fanboy. I don't have either of the next gen consoles, and truth to be told, it's more likely I buy the PS5 first. But Halo Fucking Infinite. Bitches, bow to thee.
I own everything and Halo Infinite is gonna take up alot of my time across XBOX and PC. I love how these ecosystems are blending together. Really cool stuff

Wizz-Art

Lol chill out. I was literally just messing about and having a laugh. You gotta admit though, your point was kind of silly.
If you think about it's really not, a bunch of grown man cheerleading how many sales their favourite multi-billion or even trillion dollar company makes, and nothing of that money will end up in their pockets. Knowing that, makes this behaviour even more odd.

jigglet

Banned
I own everything and Halo Infinite is gonna take up alot of my time across XBOX and PC. I love how these ecosystems are blending together. Really cool stuff

I'm going to play Infinite on PC, but I plan on buying all consoles anyway. Fuck fanboy shit. Buy them all.

And you're right, Microsoft is nailing it.

They are selling a product. It's called Gamepass.

Yes and also other products that are just as important like xbox series s/x. All of it matters to them. Not just gamepass subs. That's my point. Do you honestly believe Microsoft doesn't care about their own hardware sales? So it doesn't matter to them whether they sell 10m or 100m? of course they do! You bet your ass they will try to sell more series consoles than they did 360 and break their own records. I think they will too with the size of their first party now.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They are selling a product. It's called Gamepass.
For some strange reason, people have a hard time admitting that Microsoft cares about hardware sales.

When you buy a PS console, Sony wants you to buy their games and subscribe to their services.

When you buy an Xbox, Microsoft wants you to do the exact same thing.

Yes and also other products that are just as important like xbox series s/x. All of it matters to them. Not just gamepass subs. That's my point. Do you honestly believe Microsoft doesn't care about their own hardware sales? So it doesn't matter to them whether they sell 10m or 100m? of course they do! You bet your ass they will try to sell more series consoles than they did 360 and break their own records. I think they will too with the size of their first party now.
For some strange reason, people have a hard time admitting that Microsoft cares about hardware sales.

When you buy a PS console, Sony wants you to buy their games and subscribe to their services.

When you buy an Xbox, Microsoft wants you to do the exact same thing.
Console sales only matter as a means to sell Gamepass. Of course someone who buys a console is more likely to buy Gamepass, so Microsoft of course does care about console sales. Console sales are not the ultimate measurement of success though. Times have changed.

If you think about it's really not, a bunch of grown man cheerleading how many sales their favourite multi-billion or even trillion dollar company makes, and nothing of that money will end up in their pockets. Knowing that, makes this behaviour even more odd.

Cheering it on is a bit pathetic but you know what humans are like. Passion can get the better of people. Nothing wrong with honest discussion though.

rubenburgt

I think console wars and supporting billion dollar companies are stupid, but I do hope Xbox outsell the playstation.

I know Sony like to say "for the players", but I think this is a load of BS. Censorship, bad (store) servers, refused having crossplay for a long time. Sony really could use a good wakeup call. I dont know why players are so loyal to this company, but you sony-fanboys really shouldn't be praising this company.

jigglet

Banned

I say, if you want to cheer this shit on, put your money where your mouth is - invest in the company you support. Don't just talk the talk. That's what I did once, even though it nearly fucking ruined me (fuck you Nintendo). It taught me not to financially back the company you're a fanboy of. I learned my lesson. Many here have not. If you truly believe this shit, lay down the dollars. And not just a few thousand bucks - put in everything you got. I want to see the big dollars. Six figures. Seven figures. Then and only then I will believe your shit.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So you gave a link to a thread where somebody announced a game got 6 million players, your point being?
Grown men cheerleading. It's a thing. Don't be so selective now.
I think console wars and supporting billion dollar companies are stupid, but I do hope Xbox outsell the playstation.

I know Sony like to say "for the players", but I think this is a load of BS. Censorship, bad (store) servers, refused having crossplay for a long time. Sony really could use a good wakeup call. I dont know why players are so loyal to this company, but you sony-fanboys really shouldn't be praising this company.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Last edited:
Console sales only matter as a means to sell Gamepass. Of course someone who buys a console is more likely to buy Gamepass, so Microsoft of course does care about console sales. Console sales are not the ultimate measurement of success though. Times have changed.

Of course it isnt the ultimate measure. I agree and I ain't saying that. What I'm saying is Microsoft do want to sell as much hardware as they possibly can. That's all.

I say, if you want to cheer this shit on, put your money where your mouth is - invest in the company you support. Don't just talk the talk. That's what I did once, even though it nearly fucking ruined me (fuck you Nintendo). It taught me not to financially back the company you're a fanboy of. I learned my lesson. Many here have not. If you truly believe this shit, lay down the dollars. And not just a few thousand bucks - put in everything you got. I want to see the big dollars. Six figures. Seven figures. Then and only then I will believe your shit.
I have around 15 grand in MSFT, but not because of Xbox, so it kinda doesn't count 🤭

Wizz-Art

Cheering it on is a bit pathetic but you know what humans are like. Passion can get the better of people. Nothing wrong with honest discussion though.

Passion being the key word here, that's the oddest thing of all to me.

Look, I enjoy playing games and pay for it like every other form of entertainment really but gaming in general brings out the most heated discussions about how much a very rich company is or isn't selling. That isn't really a thing anywhere else in the entertainment buisness, I found out through GAF over a decade ago that sales are a very big thing apparently for ordinairy customers and ever since, I found it really odd that someone could care so much about it.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I have around 15 grand in MSFT, but not because of Xbox, so it kinda doesn't count 🤭

Fuck it mate, you've earned the right to talk. $15k is small but it's a seat at the table. All the rest of these fuckers that only paid $499 to participate, their opinion means shit.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Console sales only matter as a means to sell Gamepass. Of course someone who buys a console is more likely to buy Gamepass, so Microsoft of course does care about console sales. Console sales are not the ultimate measurement of success though. Times have changed
No one said console sales are the ultimate measure of success. It's like you guys just have this line ready to copy and paste whenever console sales are mentioned.

It's rather dumb to say Microsoft doesn't care about console sales when they're SELLING and producing millions of Xbox Consoles. It doesn't matter if their main objective is to sell you Game Pass, they STILL care about console sales.

There's no way around it.

If Xbox owners are outpacing other platforms when it comes to GP subscribers and you want to rapidly increase the number of subscribers, then you're going to need to sell the Xbox console.

Not caring about console sales means you don't bother manufacturing a console and putting it on the market. You care because it not only brings in Game Pass subscribers but it also produces software sales and Xbox Live subscriptions.

People just have to admit that they do care about console sales.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Look, I enjoy playing games and pay for it like every other form of entertainment really but gaming in general brings out the most heated discussions about how much a very rich company is or isn't selling. That isn't really a thing anywhere else in the entertainment buisness, I found out through GAF over a decade ago that sales are a very big thing apparently for ordinairy customers and ever since, I found it really odd that someone could care so much about it.
Probably has something to do where the industry itself became very sales focused and flaunting to the consumers ever since the crash. Every company has had their hand in drumming up their base with it.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Probably has something to do where the industry itself became very sales focused and flaunting to the consumers ever since the crash. Every company has had their hand in drumming up their base with it.
I think your absolutely right about that. Like they (the companies) know it will keep engagement levels high and they feed off of it. The tribal nature of it is like this primal urge deep inside of us. You want to belong, you want your choice to succeed and all that.

The thing is, with or without the vocal passionate 'cheerleading' those companies will survive anyway one way or the other, they're simply too big and diversified to fail.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think your absolutely right about that. Like they (the companies) know it will keep engagement levels high and they feed off of it. The tribal nature of it is like this primal urge deep inside of us. You want to belong, you want your choice to succeed and all that.

The thing is, with or without the vocal passionate 'cheerleading' those companies will survive anyway one way or the other, they're simply too big and diversified to fail.
I think the industry flaunting sales, etc., had a lot to do with the vast majority of developers were independent back in the day. Hell, most games were self-published as well. So, one brand had to show how much they so, essentially the install base, to incite developers to make their games for said platform. It was also one of the only metrics at the time to show your success, long before revenue and stonks have reached the normie masses.

They literally had to sell themselves to devs/pubs like toy makers had to sell themselves to toy stores.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Still following me around, kinda pathetic really. Still talking about GT Sport and DriveClub in an Xbox thread because you're upset because you weren't aware of some the 'extras' being sold in FH5 which I suggested were a waste of time?

DriveClub sales were announced here in 2015.

Xbox doesn't give out hardware and sales numbers now, we get given other metrics, no sales or profit figures. I don't get why you're getting so triggered about this fact.
You were the one being triggered by Microsoft giving the number of players when Sony has done the same thing on multiple occasions. Calm down.

Lognor

Banned
D9Q8oT6XkAENWZn

By the time Sony released this, GTS already had sold 8 million. The fact that you call "niche" to a series that sold a total of +80 million copies just shows how detached from reality you are. Gran Turismo has always been a very strong seller.

GTseptembersales.png
This is not a source. It's an estimate. It's wrong. Provide official numbers. Not this garbage

Aenima

This is not a source. It's an estimate. It's wrong. Provide official numbers. Not this garbage
"With sell-through sales totaling 80.4 million units worldwide*, Gran Turismo has become an international sensation, with strong followings in Europe and North America in particular. It burst onto the video game scene in 1997, steadily evolving alongside the PlayStation® console, and continues to promote the enjoyment of driving to people of all ages all over the world.
*as of May 5, 2018"

https://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

So much niche.

As for GT Sport, only recent oficial data shared was by Kazunori Yamauchi in a interview where he says the game reached a mark of 9.5 million players. The game was never on PS+ or PS Now so its not too hard to believe that around 8 million copies sold is possible.

The data i shared in the previous post, that you are calling trash, was created by a hedge fund company. Not by some crybaby on an internet forum.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
With sell-through sales totaling 80.4 million units worldwide*, Gran Turismo has become an international sensation, with strong followings in Europe and North America in particular. It burst onto the video game scene in 1997, steadily evolving alongside the PlayStation® console, and continues to promote the enjoyment of driving to people of all ages all over the world.
*as of May 5, 2018

https://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

So much niche.
Dude. From that site it looks like we are talking about at least 14 GT titles, dating back 24 years! And over 80% of those sales are from more than 10 years ago. GT used to be the king of racers. Not anymore. Not even close. Closed circuit racing games are not close to being as popular as they were in the 90s. Cool that you still like them. The vast majority of racing fans have moved on. Moved on to games like Forza Horizon.

Hezekiah

Banned
You were the one being triggered by Microsoft giving the number of players when Sony has done the same thing on multiple occasions. Calm down.
Calm down - when you're following me around across the forum 😂😂😂.

Microsoft doesn't give any hardware or software sold numbers. Sony and Nintendo do. Is it that hard for you to wrap your thick skull around this. Get a grip lol.

its competition that does it. just like in sports. its all beyond meaningless yet grown ment will go crazy over their team of choice. i've seen men in their damn 50's racially abusing players from other teams. i try to just have fun with it and not take it too serious. its pretty fun to rile up fanboys and watch them lose their shit!

Wizz-Art

its competition that does it. just like in sports. its all beyond meaningless yet grown ment will go crazy over their team of choice. i've seen men in their damn 50's racially abusing players from other teams. i try to just have fun with it and not take it too serious. its pretty fun to rile up fanboys and watch them lose their shit!
Yeah you can compare it with that, same kind of passion at least when I think of it. Yet the argument in sports is never my team sells more seats then yours, I've never heard somebody who made such an argument, it's always about the players and how the team is better then the other team(s) because ....*argument*.

Last edited:
Top Bottom