• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VG247: Xbox at E3 shows it finally has games, but is still struggling to match Sony in terms of wow factor.

WoodyStare

But the Xbox showcase definitely sent shockwaves to Google and Amazon. They must be thundering in rage and trembling with fear on their clouds.
Yup. At this point, once MS update their servers to Series X, and add a GamePass tier with Ubisoft+, I don’t see much of a reason for the other two to even bother. They’re not even in the same league at this point.

More games have been sold on the PS4 compared to any other platform in the history of gaming.

You need to have a ridiculously advanced level of mental gymnastics to somehow spin this as if the opposite is the case.

So big congrats for that truly all-important skillset. 🤡
Again, never said anything in any way related to your response - you’re on fire…

My only point is not every Sony exclusive is ‘game of the year’, ‘the best game ever’, or an ‘underrated classic’ as portrayed by some. Hence my backhanded compliment that Sony fans are masters of hype, hyperbole and overreaction. It’s actually really impressive when the hive mind jerks into action… Xbox lags way behind on that score.

And the studios werent bought last year. Please stop with the COVID excuse, that would put you back maybe one or two months tops, not years.
So then what's Gran Turismo 7 and God of War Ragnarok's excuse? Both were listed as 2021 titles and now they are 2022 with no release date in sight.

Kagey K

Banned
that's still pretty subjective. some might find ratchet's fill the screen with everything approach "wow" worthy, others may find Horizon's photorealistic recreation of Mexico "wow" worthy. both can be true.

what's also true is how awful a metric "wow" is as any sort of measurement. truth is, either the games look fun or not. both look fun, both are a win for gamers.
I can tell you objectively that plenty of posts in this thread made me shake my head and say "wow." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This thread certainly has the WOW! factor.

NEbeast

Whoaaa, wait a second, your including an addon/expansion game, and 2 games nobody cares about? Basically all you really have worth talking about is demon, ratchet, and horizon and returnal. Gow and gt aren't until 2022, if you are ok with those, you should be fine with all the 2022 ms stuff.
You have had the Medium.

Topher

Gold Member
Whoaaa, wait a second, your including an addon/expansion game, and 2 games nobody cares about? Basically all you really have worth talking about is demon, ratchet, and horizon and returnal. Gow and gt aren't until 2022, if you are ok with those, you should be fine with all the 2022 ms stuff.

This line that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is just an "addon/expansion" is about as cringe-worthy as the "xbox has no games" line. And both are factually not true. I don't understand why these falsehoods are repeated over and over.

I would argue the Horizon Forbidden West 15 min State of Play was pretty much almost as good by itself as most of the E3 conferences anyway

Honestly I wouldn't mind another state of play that spends 15 minutes showing us a game. I enjoyed the Ratchet and Horizon SOPs quite a lot.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sony has a wow factor because people and journos themselves give them free pass whenever they show CGI/cinematics/in-engine cut-scenes, but when someone else does it it's "where's the gameplay!", "show us the gameplay!", "that's not a gameplay!". Well, where's GoW Ragnarok gameplay? Oh right, there's none, actually they didn't show anything at all other than a splas screen. And it's delayed. And it's a cross-gen. And it's not even called Ragnarok, it was just a placeholder name. And yet, it's enought for some to have enought jizz in their pants to impregnate 100 women... It's not a "wow factor" at all, just blind fanboyism, hypocrisy and double standards. I could go on and on with examples where Sony didn't show the actual gameplay for a very long time, when they revealed titles with nothing but CGI/cinematics, years before the actual games were ready to be shown,but hey, if that's what makes people excited then be it.

Neil Young

Strange take to have when you know MS has the wow factor megaton of Elder Scrolls in their back pocket. Yes, but I want it NOW!! But Covid is not an excuse!! The people saying this, have you tried to do ANYTHING during the pandemic? There were delays for everything.... getting an appliance in your house fixed, buying a piece of furniture, getting certain items at the store, taking your pet to the vet....on and on. But gaming...no excuse. A job that requires in person collaboration and office resources to function at peak level.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Strange take to have when you know MS has the wow factor megaton of Elder Scrolls in their back pocket. Yes, but I want it NOW!! But Covid is not an excuse!! The people saying this, have you tried to do ANYTHING during the pandemic? There were delays for everything.... getting an appliance in your house fixed, buying a piece of furniture, getting certain items at the store, taking your pet to the vet....on and on. But gaming...no excuse. A job that requires in person collaboration and office resources to function at peak level.
Games are also massive... and offices weren't really setup to do testing from a server w/ game streaming.

They are starting to do more of that, but it's all coming late. Imagine how much time game devs spent just downloading updates to the asset base lol.. we all complain about patch sizes, now imagine if to do your job right you had to constantly patch your code.

Companies like MS basically didn't let any of their employees come in either; most game studios are similar sorts of companies too.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Lots of people saying starfield was a CGI trailer, but was it? Is that confirmed? It didn't look CG at all. You could watch the lods and shadows pop in.
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

Hezekiah

Banned
Certainly a quantity over quality approach, clear for everyone to see, but isn’t that the whole point of a subscription service? Quantity.
Definitely been there approach of late - if you can keep making announcements about new GamePass titles, people will look at the volume of games for a cheap price and think about value first and foremost.

I do think they will need their bigger name games in 2023 and beyond to hit the ground running. The bottleneck that most people have is time - loads of people have a backlog even when buying games outright. The stumbling block for most people is having the time available to play their games, so they want to spend it on top class games that really interest them regardless of cost.

Zeroing

Banned
What games do? Just wondering since I'm also looking for something new.

Now I love Charlie, but seriously it didn't look CG at all. You can literally watch the shadows pop in and the lods change. You don't do that for pre rendered CGI.
People were expecting more in terms of length, I guess…

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Now I love Charlie, but seriously it didn't look CG at all. You can literally watch the shadows pop in and the lods change. You don't do that for pre rendered CGI.
Yeah. I'm noticing a new trend that people are starting to call every in-game or in-engine cinematic, CGI now. No matter the platform or fanbase.

Where as old school, CGI is pre-rendered video not running in real time and usually not built in the game's engine.

Judging from the comments…

xbox finally shows some games after a gen without any quality and now

Its Sony all of a sudden its Sony whos behind yall are Hilarious lolll.

without Microsoft buying Bersethda that Conferance was flat.. Starfield saved MS, MS still has yet to put out its own games from in house that’s quality.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony has a wow factor because people and journos themselves give them free pass whenever they show CGI/cinematics/in-engine cut-scenes, but when someone else does it it's "where's the gameplay!", "show us the gameplay!", "that's not a gameplay!". Well, where's GoW Ragnarok gameplay? Oh right, there's none, actually they didn't show anything at all other than a splas screen. And it's delayed. And it's a cross-gen. And it's not even called Ragnarok, it was just a placeholder name. And yet, it's enought for some to have enought jizz in their pants to impregnate 100 women... It's not a "wow factor" at all, just blind fanboyism, hypocrisy and double standards. I could go on and on with examples where Sony didn't show the actual gameplay for a very long time, when they revealed titles with nothing but CGI/cinematics, years before the actual games were ready to be shown,but hey, if that's what makes people excited then be it.

At some point, game play has to be shown, but God of War Ragnarok was just revealed last year. Starfield was revealed three years ago. In fact, Starfield was announced three months after the last God of War was released in April 2018.

And yeah, you may not like it, but God of War brings a shit-ton of "wow factor". It always has and considering the massively popular reception the last game received, why would anyone be surprised?

So if you think Sony just gets a "free pass" then that's your opinion, but I think there needs to be some perspective on God of War and its timeline.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This line that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is just an "addon/expansion" is about as cringe-worthy as the "xbox has no games" line. And both are factually not true. I don't understand why these falsehoods are repeated over and over.

Wait, so your argument is that Miles is a full game? It's not priced as a full game but your saying it is a full game? Please explain why it wasn't full price. I too get tired of the falsehoods being spewed......next your going to tell me Astro is a full game too......

MonarchJT

Banned
Sony is the one that showed a logo .... i mean a logo .... and people gone excited about it.....lol

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Starfield
Stalker 2
FH5

And all on Gamepass day 1.

When I see people paying 70 bucks for multiplats that run better on Xbox and are free on Gamepass makes me go wow.
I've been mostly playing on Playstation since Playstation 4. I love both XSX and PS5. I've always had both consoles every gen. Now that I've covered that bit, I have to say the following about your comment:

•Gamepass: Games on Game pass aren't free. They're rented for as long as you like on the service until no longer available. If you like, after, you can buy the title, likely by then at a solid discount. It's a great value for titles on Gamepass. If you want day 1, that is a per title ? only known at each titles launch. There are a lot upcoming that were shown that are, even if multiplat, but let's not pretend that every multiplat is a day 1 Gamepass title. It's a tremendous value so long as there are games you are interested on there.
• Let's not assume anything about what does and doesn't run better on either system. I'll even add that "runs better on..." is usually a bunch of caveats like, sharper resolution on ____ with smoother play on ____ at the moment. Things change all the time and title to tile.
• I am hyped for FH5, look fwd to MS Flight Simulator on XSX since it'll run better than on my aging PCs, Am really curious about Starfield and Redfall.. and other games. I'm also looking forward to exclusives PS offers in the future, yes, at $70 or on sale later. I am having a blast with Ratchet & Clank for example.

For the first time in a while, both consoles have a lot to offer either now and/or coming #soon. Both systems are worth having. XBOX's games will soon be starting to trickle in. Sony needs to unlock their M.2 SSD. Neither thing are here now now.

I'm also hyped that with Cross Platform becoming more and more common, it doesn't matter which console you buy on, with multiplats. Play where you want to play. It's your money, spend it how you like.

Just my opinion.

Topher

Gold Member
Wait, so your argument is that Miles is a full game? It's not priced as a full game but your saying it is a full game? Please explain why it wasn't full price. I too get tired of the falsehoods being spewed......next your going to tell me Astro is a full game too......

Of course MM is a full game. I played it and got the plat trophy with over 30 hours. How is that not a "full game"? What does price have to do with it? Was Hellblade not a "full game"?

Last edited:

Three

Since most people love their third-person over the shoulder movie games, yeah, the article is right, Sony will wow more people. It's easier to do that with amazing graphics and a simple story than with gameplay.
Funny considering there was little to no gameplay at the microsoft event but CGI trailers about the characters and story. So everyone should have been wowed, right?

Some xbox fanboys can't admit that sony makes good games so they have this no gameplay/walking sim bullshit because you happen to walk in the game. Then they turn around and fawn over the graphics of a game where you're just staring out a plane window for almost the entire game.

THE DUCK

Of course MM is a full game. I played it and got the plat trophy with over 30 hours. How is that not a "full game"? What does price have to do with it? Was Hellblade not a "full game"?

Last I checked Sony ALWAYS charges full price for premium AAA full games. Obviously they didn't think that was the case here.

In my opinion it does not need to match Sony. Xbox is always known more as a Multiplayer focus so expecting them to Match Sony single player focus games is not the right way also don't expect Sony to match Xbox Multiplayer games it goes both ways.

Hezekiah

Banned
Not really. HFW doesn't even come close to starfield.

So far we had teaser. then video of engine game. Its higher level of hype than elden ring.

I am not looking down on HFW, but it doesn't come close to these 2 title. Elden ring has souls fans, while Starfield has rpg fans. Both these people are anticipating these 2 games.
Is this a joke? We haven't seen any gameplay, nor does anyone know what it's actually about. Not to mention Fallout 4 and 76 were both a buggy mess on release, and the latter was plain shite.

Looking at your posts like this one, and the one where you claim you cant tell the difference between Spiderman, God of War and Uncharted, I'm convinced you're on some kind of wind-up mission 😁.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Last I checked Sony ALWAYS charges full price for premium AAA full games. Obviously they didn't think that was the case here.

They did the same thing with Uncharted Lost Legacy. It was a shorter game than Uncharted 4 and thus a lower price, but that doesn't mean it isn't a "full game" at all. And last time, I checked an "add on" needed something else to be added on to. Both of those games were fully stand alone.

wolffy71

Banned
Sony is still king on big single player campaigns. MS might have these games in development but the dont have gameplay ready to show us yet so in terms of right now, Sony still has a big advantage there. That said MS has nice variety of games almost all on gamepass, so to me it was a great showing. A lot of quality just not that huge showstopper like GOT.

Maybe that showstopper is Halo. But Halo is gonna get a ton of value in MP and there's a percentage of people that aren't really competitive and wont score that aspect highly.(Halo fans will of course)

Spidey Fan

Banned
Is this a joke? We haven't seen any gameplay, not does anyone know what it's actually about. Not to mention Fallout 4 and Las Vegas were both a buggy mess on release, and the latter was plain shite.

Looking at your posts like this one, and the one where you claim you cant tell the difference between Spiderman, God of War and Uncharted, I'm convinced you're on some kind of wind-up mission 😁.
My original point was how people are hyped for this game. nothing more. Plus bethesda games are always buggy, but they do their job with the world. You do whatever the FK you want to do. sadly, we dont get games like these. I just want to roam around, and not bother with main mission. or story.

For spiderman, god of war and uncharted were from the combat. They felt the same feelings. If I played uncharted, i will expect the spiderman enemies to act like that, same for god of war. and them being linear story aside of spiderman, doesnt help my immersion for the game.

Sony is the one that showed a logo .... i mean a logo .... and people gone excited about it.....lol

I think people are more excited due to how good the first game was more than anything. The logo is just confirmation that they are making a sequel to a well received GoW game. It probably won't be trash.

THE DUCK

They did the same thing with Uncharted Lost Legacy. It was a shorter game than Uncharted 4 and thus a lower price, but that doesn't mean it isn't a "full game" at all. And last time, I checked an "add on" needed something else to be added on to. Both of those games were fully stand alone.

I love lost legacy, but this was not a full game, it was a expansion/add on. Spider man even more so since it's using most of the same assets, at least lost legacy was visiting new locals.

Also, if they gave you 3/4 of a burger (2 bites missing), and charged you $3.75 instead of $5.00, would you still call it a full burger? Not likely.......

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I think people are more excited due to how good the first game was more than anything. The logo is just confirmation that they are making a sequel to a well received GoW game. It probably won't be trash.
cmon we can build excuses for everything ....Bethesda games are among the most famous and critically acclaimed in the world .... the same would be true for them.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
My original point was how people are hyped for this game. nothing more. Plus bethesda games are always buggy, but they do their job with the world. You do whatever the FK you want to do. sadly, we dont get games like these. I just want to roam around, and not bother with main mission. or story.

For spiderman, god of war and uncharted were from the combat. They felt the same feelings. If I played uncharted, i will expect the spiderman enemies to act like that, same for god of war. and them being linear story aside of spiderman, doesnt help my immersion for the game.
You definitely sound like the minority lol.

If Starfield is any good I might get it, but currently I know nothing about it. Horizon I definitely will buy because I've played the first one, it's a big open world (with side quests and errands, and the ability to roam and hunt), and a ton of weapons and approaches toward combat. And it's Guerilla Games which means it will be a technical showcase - one thing we know isn't the case for Bethesda.

cmon we can build excuses for everything ....Bethesda games are among the most famous and critically acclaimed in the world .... the same would be true for them.

I haven't seen a StarField before but I have seen Elderscroll games. I kind of know what to expect from Elder Scrolls 6 but I can't say the same for StarField. With God of War I know what the sequel will be like based off the first game. However that new Sony Bend IP I have no idea what it's going to be like.

Hopefully that makes more sense on why people are excited for God of War Ragnarok.

Top Bottom