• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Capcom says players gave its first $70 game ‘a moderate reception’

dragons-dogma-2-h-1024x576.jpg

Dragon’s Dogma 2, which was released on March 22, is the Japanese company’s first game to carry the increased price point that has been adopted by many publishers this console generation.

The game sold over 2.5 million copies during its launch month and surpassed three million sales by late May, according to Capcom.

In a newly published translation of its latest earnings Q&A session, the company was asked about the performance of the game and to discuss its strategy for pricing software going forward.
“This title was given a moderate reception from players and achieved 2.6 million units in sales as of the end of March 2024,” it said. “Regarding pricing for future game releases, we will determine prices after carefully assessing user response and considering the rising cost of development.”

It wouldn’t be too much of a surprise if Capcom started releasing more $70 titles, given its president reportedly said last September that he believed games should cost more to buy.
“Personally, I feel that game prices are too low,” Haruhiro Tsujimoto said during the Tokyo Game Show, according to Nikkei. “Development costs are around 100 times higher than they were in the days of the Famicom (NES), but the price of software hasn’t risen so much.

“There is also a need to raise wages in order to attract talented people. Given that wages are rising across the industry as a whole, I think the option of raising unit prices is a healthy form of business.”

We're in crazy times when 3 million sold is a "moderate reception"

Budgets are out of control
It was their big end of fiscal year game. It's being judged against the likes of MH World, Rise, RE2 Remake, etc. But, it's not like Capcom expected more than 5 million. I think 5 million would've been like, considered spectacular, for example. If they release DLC and do some promotions, it'll eventually hit 5-7.5 mil range.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Game launched riddled with stupid DLCs and ran like shit. "Moderate reception" is way too optimistic.

Top Bottom