• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Hands-On: PlayStation VR2 is a Leap Forward in Comfortable, Immersive VR

GymWolf

Being comfortable is the most underrated aspect of a good headset.

I tried like 4 different headset and none of them was "comfortable", i have more curiosity for this aspect than the various oled screen, hdr and shit.

Why are you starting yet another thread about this? We have at least 2 other active threads praising psvr2.
What Do You Think Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

It's being compared to quest without saying quest for some reason. Like the demand for wireless is great but a comparable setup is like a $1300 vive pro 2 with a $349 wireless module. Then it's PS5+PSVR2 vs quest+free gaming pc.
Besides the obviously not really free super expensive 2000 dollar plus gaming pc (for comparable visuals) aaaand the comparable specs headset of 1000+ dollars it’s only reasonable to complain about a 950 price tag which gives you a ps5 digital + the headset.

I guess the pc master race people are furious they have to pay triple the money for a comparable experience so to copium with it you imagine you have the epic pc already and imagine the Quest 2 is comparible to the PSVR 2 package.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
To be fair, the vr market is potentially much larger than "people who own a ps5". It's part of the reason many people bought a quest 2 - the low total entry point. On the surface you could argue the "market" is hundreds of millions of people, as opposed to 30 million.
It almost makes more sense for them to do it the way they did than the way you are asking for.

Not for PSVR2, it's not! That's my point. It's stupid to bring up the cost of the PS5 when speaking about PSVR2, when presumably anybody that buys it would be using it to also play PS5 games too. The PSVR2 market will never be bigger than the amount of PS5s. That's all Sony cares about.

They don't care about non-gamers getting into VR. If they really did, they'd put out PC drivers for the headset at launch and would be pushing it that way. They aren't. PSVR2 is for PS5 owners and them only. It's their only true target audience.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not for PSVR2, it's not! That's my point. It's stupid to bring up the cost of the PS5 when speaking about PSVR2, when presumably anybody that buys it would be using it to also play PS5 games too. The PSVR2 market will never be bigger than the amount of PS5s. That's all Sony cares about.

They don't care about non-gamers getting into VR. If they really did, they'd put out PC drivers for the headset at launch and would be pushing it that way. They aren't. PSVR2 is for PS5 owners and them only. It's their only true target audience.

That may be Sony's target, but no matter what it still limits its ability to sell. And as a reviewer who potentially doesn't own a ps5, it makes sense that they would review it from thier point of view, not yours.

Crayon

How do you know if Allen Wen and the rest of his team own a ps5? (He says "we" in the article) Obviously someone felt it had a high cost combined with the console.

$950 is a super good price.. Not saying that is a mass market price. Far from it. But if you want to match that you arer looking at a $1000+ headset alone. Then you need a pc to run it and it's going to be a whole lot more than $400.

That said, I do not think a significan number of people are going to have zero interest in a ps5 and consider getting it just for vr2. People on the fence of buying a ps5, sure.

THE DUCK

Do you factor in the cost of a TV when purchasing a console?
Since 99.9% of the potential market already has one, no need. What percentage of the potential billion electronics consumers who might consider a psvr2 own a ps5 again?

THE DUCK

$950 is a super good price.. Not saying that is a mass market price. Far from it. But if you want to match that you arer looking at a $1000+ headset alone. Then you need a pc to run it and it's going to be a whole lot more than $400.

That said, I do not think a significan number of people are going to have zero interest in a ps5 and consider getting it just for vr2. People on the fence of buying a ps5, sure.

For what it is vs other headsets right now, you can make the arguement that it's a good price. I wasn't arguing that nor was it the point brought up, which was the idea that they would include the cost of the ps5.
And agreed definately not a mass market price. I suspect that was really what the article was trying to convey with the price comment more than anything.

Crayon

For what it is vs other headsets right now, you can make the arguement that it's a good price. I wasn't arguing that nor was it the point brought up, which was the idea that they would include the cost of the ps5.
And agreed definately not a mass market price. I suspect that was really what the article was trying to convey with the price comment more than anything.

Yknow I've seen people making somme outlandich predictions for the sales of this thing. Like this is not going to do anywhere near quest numbers. If they did 5 mimllion with the first one, 10 mimllion for this one would be great and I don't see any more than that happening. A 3-500 dollar console is almost more of an appliance these days as long as you play any games at all. Nobody trips about needing a $500 tv or microwave. A $550 headset is a way way different prropostion even if you have the money.

If they can get to 5 million though, that might double the high-end vr userbase. If they get to 10, then that changes the landscape completely. That makes bigger budget games far more viable. So imo 10 mimllion would represent a raging success.

midnightAI

Since 99.9% of the potential market already has one, no need. What percentage of the potential billion electronics consumers who might consider a psvr2 own a ps5 again?
I think you are way overestimating how many people will want PSVR 2 who don't want or had no intention of buying a PS5, but that's not the point, my point is why bring it up, its really obvious you need a PS5 just like its obvious you need a TV to play a PS5.

99% (completely made up figure) of all people buying a PS5 for the PSVR2 wont 'just' be buying it for the PSVR2, they'll be buying it for flat screen gaming also.

You don't see articles and YouTube videos whenever a new console comes out that then says 'once you factor in the cost of the X console and a TV you are looking at over $1000', because its a stupid thing to say.

mckmas8808

Banned
I think you are way overestimating how many people will want PSVR 2 who don't want or had no intention of buying a PS5, but that's not the point, my point is why bring it up, its really obvious you need a PS5 just like its obvious you need a TV to play a PS5.

99% (completely made up figure) of all people buying a PS5 for the PSVR2 wont 'just' be buying it for the PSVR2, they'll be buying it for flat screen gaming also.

You don't see articles and YouTube videos whenever a new console comes out that then says 'once you factor in the cost of the X console and a TV you are looking at over $1000', because its a stupid thing to say.

And NOBODY does this when it comes to the latest GPU that gets released every year. Nobody seems to find the need to "remind" people that once you by that new hottness GPU, that you'll also need to buy a corresponding PC to put it in (and then add those dollars up).

I still think this is gonna crash and burn spectacularly. I hope sony releases sales numbers and are specific about them. Will be interesting to see.

The people that want HIGH END VR have two options:

1. Get a PS5 and PSVR2 for $1000 (or $550 if they already have a PS5).

2. Get a high end VR PC headset and a high end gaming PC for $2000+ (or, maybe only $400+ if they already have a high end PC)

It really is that simple. PSVR2 is not expensive for HIGH END VR. And it will be the LARGEST MARKET for HIGH END VR.

THE DUCK

Yknow I've seen people making somme outlandich predictions for the sales of this thing. Like this is not going to do anywhere near quest numbers. If they did 5 mimllion with the first one, 10 mimllion for this one would be great and I don't see any more than that happening. A 3-500 dollar console is almost more of an appliance these days as long as you play any games at all. Nobody trips about needing a $500 tv or microwave. A $550 headset is a way way different prropostion even if you have the money.

If they can get to 5 million though, that might double the high-end vr userbase. If they get to 10, then that changes the landscape completely. That makes bigger budget games far more viable. So imo 10 mimllion would represent a raging success.

I'm not sure 10 million would be considered a raging success by anyone, but for an add on it would be a lot. That said, with those kind of numbers I doubt there would be any profit in it, feels like Sony is just making sure they have the foot in the door should vr explode. (Which seems unlikely until hardware evolves a lot more) It also feels like it's Sony's pet project, which isn't a bad thing for us gamers.

THE DUCK

That's a reasonable point that the ps5 has value in other areas that aren't mentioned in that article. Still I just think thier point was the total price of entry, which isn't invalid vs other vr options. Of course the psvr2 is better though.

THE DUCK

2. Get a high end VR PC headset and a high end gaming PC for $2000+ (or, maybe only $400+ if they already have a high end PC)

It really is that simple. PSVR2 is not expensive for HIGH END VR. And it will be the LARGEST MARKET for HIGH END VR.

I can't disagree with this, other than you may actually be low on the pc side, can you even get a pc headset with oled and eye tracking? Is it Feb 22nd yet?

Crayon

I'm not sure 10 million would be considered a raging success by anyone, but for an add on it would be a lot. That said, with those kind of numbers I doubt there would be any profit in it, feels like Sony is just making sure they have the foot in the door should vr explode. (Which seems unlikely until hardware evolves a lot more) It also feels like it's Sony's pet project, which isn't a bad thing for us gamers.

That's a good way to look at it. A company making something cool even if there isn't money in it (yet) is something I'll take.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Me : i don't think i am going to bother until the price drops....

Also me : ... fine , in at launch because i need to play Rez again and hope they somehow, accidentally on purpose, added a bunch of new Area X style levels....

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

$399 Digital only PS5 is also an option… sure it is “only” $100 less, but it is not nothing :D.

Also, yes as someone else said, OLED + eye tracking + HDR… especially the last bit: glassless 3D like the 3DS and VR bring lightning to another level… HDR takes a massive step forward for me for so many games.

Last edited:
$399 Digital only PS5 is also an option… sure it is “only” $100 less, but it is not nothing :D.

Also, yes as someone else said, OLED + eye tracking + HDR… especially the last bit: glassless 3D like the 3DS and VR bring lightning to another level… HDR takes a massive step forward for me for so many games.
Also, the HDR will be correctly implemented in all the game as all of the screens are the same with the same config. So it will look much better than average HDR because there is only 1 config/display to develop for.

Top Bottom