• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] New Mario Kart 8 track DLC (priced at $25) appears to be taken from mobile f2p Mario Kart Tour

Mozza

Same here, i rather follow the official channel getting my info straight from the horses mouth.
Also Nintendo's previous dlc offerings for MK8 are from the same quality as the base game, id rather give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.
More content is always welcome, even more at this price, would love them to just port the Arcade tracks as well.

So what is the issue? Getting to play remade tracks on actual Switch hardware - the micro transaction or save money and just play them on a mobile phone?

I think I'm out of the loop with this one.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have no issue with $25 for 48 proper tracks. It's the bs spoon feeding of them over 2 years in a weak attempt to get get more subscribers for the rip off expansion pass. Add to that poor ports adds insult to injury. Sounds like you'd be happy if they charged $99 and drip fed to you n64 graphics over 8 years, it just wouldn't matter to you since it says Nintendo on it.
Man they're just a game company, chill down lmao, your life or anyone else's life isn't gonna get ruined because they decided to do business in a manner or another lmao, I don't even have time to play all Nintendo games let alone to worry about shit like this.

BTW, I'll be getting the pack mostly for the N64 remade tracks tho they don't look to the same standard as Princess Peach Castle remake in MK8, I think the reason for this to be so spred is mostly to engage some people to the online subs since it seems to be a quicker conversion.

Mozza

Man they're just a game company, chill down lmao, your life or anyone else's life isn't gonna get ruined because they decided to do business in a manner or another lmao, I don't even have time to play all Nintendo games let alone to worry about shit like this.

BTW, I'll be getting the pack mostly for the N64 remade tracks tho they don't look to the same standard as Princess Peach Castle remake in MK8, I think the reason for this to be so spred is mostly to engage some people to the online subs since it seems to be a quicker conversion.
Without a doubt the N64 tracks are awesome, and Choco Mountain is one of my all time best courses. :)

Orbital2060

Is it Switch only? Ive still got my WiiU hooked up :lollipop_grinning:

The previous DLC is a nice price on the WiiU, might get that and these new tracks if they are cross gen.

Mozza

Is it Switch only? Ive still got my WiiU hooked up :lollipop_grinning:

The previous DLC is a nice price on the WiiU, might get that and these new tracks if they are cross gen.
I think they have forgotten about the Wii U, would be awesome if they did extend the package to the Wii U though.

Banjo64

cumsessed
They are pretty decent on the mobile game anyway, but do look to have been improved on the Switch anyway, but I will wait until I see them for myself, I have the Switch online expansion so they are included anyways.

Maps look brilliant.

jigglet

Banned
Don't really give a fuck if it's asset lifting from the mobile game as long as it's new content to 8 and that price is easily worth it. Can't roast minimal work if I'm barely paying for the tracks individually.

Barely? Dude, we’re talking $0.50c a pop. Enjoying your caviar there on your golden throne?

(On a serious note what a pathetic article, trying to create controversy out of anything these days)

Last edited:
Only difference i see is resolution upgrade ( textures are published at higher resolutions and then downgraded for mobile so even that was already existing) and some slight lighting improvements otherwise its a direct lift. It clashes really badly...but the worst part is there is already existing textures in mario cart 8 such as the grass and cliff textures, wall materials they could just re-use...and easily adjusted within the shader to change the tones for some of the new levels. This is absolute minimal effort

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Also I think it actually makes sense to release these tracks over a longer period. It ensures all the tracks get their time in the sun and the community isn't overwhelmed by a sudden monster drop of content. They could even do small reveals on a monthly basis or whatever for each track that will be included in the upcoming wave.

I think overall it's a smart way of going about the release of this DLC. Obviously if the content was smaller in scope a drip feed release schedule like this would've not been warranted.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I don't know if these tracks come from the mobile game or not, but they sure look ugly. Fangame ugly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom