• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: PS+ Collection Version of Resident Evil 7 Not Eligible For Next-Gen Upgrades.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

PS5 owners will have to buy the game to get the current-gen version

The PS Plus Collection is a bundle of 19 PlayStation 4 games that PS5 owners can claim as part of their PS Plus subscription, including the PS4 version of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard.

However, IGN reports that players are unable to upgrade to the newly-released PS5 version if they’re using the PS Plus Collection version.

Instead, they have to purchase the PS5 version of the game from the PlayStation Store, which is currently $19.99 / £15.99.

You would think they'd have learnt their lesson after the FFVII fan backlash for the same thing.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Star Trek Kirk GIF

adamsapple

It only happened once with a single game before, FFVIIR. So since they are exceptions it must be a publisher choice.

More people should be raising a stink about it then, Square relented and Capcom are generally a much better publisher so this should not be the case in the first place.

yurinka

More people should be raising a stink about it then, Square relented and Capcom are generally a much better publisher so this should not be the case in the first place.
Maybe Capcom didn't do it on purpose. I assume the PS+ version is a different PSN Store SKU than the purchasable one and forgot to repeat the related paperwork or store configuration for the PS+ one.

Or who knows, maybe the PS+ contract only included native PS4 versions and not future next gen SKUs with free upgrades. Which would they would have to sign another contract which would mean Sony would have to pay again for the PS5 versions.

Last edited:

Hugare

Imagine if you dont renew your PS+ subscription. You would have to lose the RE 7 PS5 version of the game too, right? Or do you expect them to give it to you for free?

For that, Sony would also have to put in the PS+ Collection, but only available to those who have the RE 7 PS+ version of the game ...

It would be a nightmare to implement, basically

adamsapple

Imagine if you dont renew your PS+ subscription. You would have to lose the RE 7 PS5 version of the game too, right? Or do you expect them to give it to you for free?

For that, Sony would also have to put in the PS+ Collection, but only available to those who have the RE 7 PS+ version of the game ...

It would be a nightmare to implement, basically

Free upgrade =/= a new purchase added to your account.

I don't see any reason why the upgraded version would be given to the user for free if their sub service lapses out.

graywolf323

Gold Member
It only happened once with a single game before, FFVIIR. So to release the update/PS5 version for their PS+ version is a per game choice of the publisher.
I think there's been a couple of others too but FFVIIR was the biggest one before now

if they give you a free upgrade, the way PSN works is you now own the game and it's no longer identified as a game you got through PS+

at least that's how it worked with Subnautica & Dead by Daylight IIRC

No they shouldn't. It should be left up to Capcom to deal with it as they like. It's their IP.
It kinda seems like a system level thing though honestly. Isn't this basically just a free patch for a game?

It sounds like something with how PS lists their digital items. PS+ pricing fiasco was caused because they listed PS+ 30% discounts as separate digital items and tracked it until they "corrected the error." This sounds to me like the RE7 listed on PS Collection is a separately listed "free" version of the game.

adamsapple

It kinda seems like a system level thing though honestly. Isn't this basically just a free patch for a game?

Yes, its essentially a patch download that enables the next gen functionality.

Which basically means patches which may have other improvements (like fixing the notoriously bad skybox in RE7's day time segments) are being withheld.

It only happened once with a single game before, FFVIIR. So to release the update/PS5 version for their PS+ version is a per game choice of the publisher.

Sorry just to add, FFVII is not the only game.

Greedfall PS+ version also was (still is ?) not eligible for the next gen 4K/60 FPS patch.

The Game Pass version of Greedfall *was*. That's how I played it myself.

So there is definitely a system level component here as well. Cause I can't see why that games publisher would offer one service the upgrade and keep it from the other.

Last edited:

adamsapple

OP you should play games once in a while instead of looking for Sony news all day.

Playing through the next gen patched RE2make as I type this. It's still so good.

It's up to the game's publisher.

Other games have received the upgrade in the past, like Control.

In that case Control's UE was a separate SKU entirely, not an upgrade to the base game if I'm not mistaken

So that was just a case of Game Pass getting the original version and PS+ getting the Ultimate Edition.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Playing through the next gen patched RE2make as I type this. It's still so good.

In that case Control's UE was a separate SKU entirely, not an upgrade to the base game if I'm not mistaken

So that was just a case of Game Pass getting the original version and PS+ getting the Ultimate Edition.
The upgrade was for the Ultimate Edition or whatever it was called, but the upgrade wasn't out at the time of the Control + offering.

Skifi28

RE7 is already 60fps running at a relatively high resolution. I tried the PS5 version with RT and honestly, you're not missing that much if you don't upgrade.

adamsapple

Wasn't there some clowns trying to blame Sony last time for the ff7 even though it's a square game.

Seems you're trying to blame Sony again even though it's capcom. I wonder why?

There's only been a few games that have had this kind of problem, Greedfall is the only recent example where the game was on both PS+ and Game Pass at the same time, the GP version was eligible for the next gen upgrade but the PS+ version wasn't.

I think there's something of a both column A column B thing here with Capcom and Sony's back end both being the fault for this.

Swift_Star

Banned
There's only been a few games that have had this kind of problem, Greedfall is the only recent example where the game was on both PS+ and Game Pass at the same time, the GP version was eligible for the next gen upgrade but the PS+ version wasn't.

I think there's something of a both column A column B thing here with Capcom and Sony's back end both being the fault for this.
And, as was already explained to you, it's on the publisher.

SSfox

What is up with this fake propaganda article?

If there any free version of RE7 on Xbox consoles?

If Capcom don't want to offer both their games and upgrade for free then it's their business, and if you really love RE7 game was at 5 bucks many times and would just get it.

Top Bottom