• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Sony switches Twisted Metal reboot developer Lucid to first-party studio in Europe

Do you want a new Twisted Metal ?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• Dont care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jose92

[Membe

However, VGC has been told that the project has since ceased development at Lucid and, according to sources, Sony has decided to instead move the series revival to one of its first-party studios in Europe.

I guess the reception to Destruction AllStars has changed their minds.

Hmm could this be related
Maybe Not

Looks like the game director got poached with the move.

xpm5IGm.png

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I thought lucid did geometry wars 3 good, probs 2nd best game in the franchise, cant talk about ther eps5 games as i havnt played it

SSfox

I can't even find words to express how much i don't care about this, honestly there are so many better games they could have brought back but Twisted Metal? really? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz

Or is it just another thing like TLOU remake or MiB game, like those kind of games just for the sake of "MUH TV Shows X Muh Movies"? Most of this are rumours, but it's what it's looking like so far, i hope i'm wrong but huh a lot of weird decisions, in any case if all this is true actual Sony would be the most boring of all Sony era, if not the only boring one actually, but we'll see, gonna have to pray a lot now.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can't even find words to express how much i don't care about this, honestly there are so many better games they could have brought back but Twisted Metal? really? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzz

Yeah, no one asked for Twisted Metal. They already tried to reboot it with Jaffe and it bombed.

No one gives a shit about car combat games now. If they are risk averse and dont want to invest in a new IP then try rebooting Killzone, Socom or Resistance. Shooters are bigger than ever and at least those games had some success.

Man, was Destruction Allstars really that bad??
I played it for about an hour over a friend's house, and it didn't seem that bad at all.

it isn't. some site gives it a bad score, then another and then internet decides it's bad.
game looks great, cars feel like they have weight, car destruction looks good and the characters/vehicles were very different from each other.
I don't get how Rocket League gets such high praise but Destruction AS is pure shit according to some people.
In RL you are just pushing a ball in a goal and in Destruction you are destroying cars with bunch of classes with their own weapons

Or is it just another thing like TLOU remake or MiB game, like those kind of games just for the sake of "MUH TV Shows X Muh Movies"? Most of this are rumours, but it's what it's looking like so far, i hope i'm wrong but huh a lot of weird decisions, in any case if all this is true actual Sony would be the most boring of all Sony era, if not the only boring one actually, but we'll see, gonna have to pray a lot now.

.....what?

Yeah, no one asked for Twisted Metal. They already tried to reboot it with Jaffe and it bombed.

I did. I asked for this.

TM on PS3 probably would have been fine if the netcode wasnt busted for a month after launch. The game itself was pretty damn good once you got into it and understood its mechanics.

davidjaffe davidjaffe What do you know about this new game? You said they havent even talked to you, but you were a total liar about TM Ps3 so cut the shit!

Fbh

To be fair that one wasn't particularly good.
It had like 2 hours worth of single player content and a completely broken multiplayer.

But I agree, as much as I like this franchise I don't see it doing particularly well these days. I also think there's a good chance they'll try to make it more ...2022 (less 90's edge, more wacky and politically correct), so not only will they get no new fans but they'll also piss off old fans

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Seems like a good move based on the piece of shit that is destruction all-stars.

Any development of a game can have issues and not go as intended but I actually think this is a strong move by Sony to move it to another studio.

Fingers crossed the game turns out to be decent.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
To be fair that one wasn't particularly good.
It had like 2 hours worth of single player content and a completely broken multiplayer.
Some fair criticism but let's not forget that behind these flaws was a very engaging game with an incredible multilayered controls sheme and a lot of depth the the core gameplay loop.

Last edited:

Fbh

Some fair criticism but let's not forget that behind these flaws was a very engaging game with an incredible multilayered controls sheme and a lot of depth the the core gameplay loop.

For sure, but even the best gameplay in the world won't help much if you can't actually play the game.

I was super hyped for it, got the game at launch. But after around a month I just gave up and sold it because it literally felt like a waste of time. It would take me something like 15 minutes to find a working match and then half the time it would randomly disconnect me or prematurely end because of connection issues . I ended up realizing that for every hour I spent on it I got maybe 10 minutes of fun.

Another big issue was the lack of quickplay so it was all lobby based and the lobby host had to manually start the match. So more often than not you'd end up sitting in a full lobby but the game would never start as the host was AFK, then people would slowly start to leave until no one was left and you'd go find another lobby ....just to get another AFK host.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
For sure, but even the best gameplay in the world won't help much if you can't actually play the game.

I was super hyped for it, got the game at launch. But after around a month I just gave up and sold it because it literally felt like a waste of time. It would take me something like 15 minutes to find a working match and then half the time it would randomly disconnect me or prematurely end because of connection issues . I ended up realizing that for every hour I spent on it I got maybe 10 minutes of fun.

Another big issue was the lack of quickplay so it was all lobby based and the lobby host had to manually start the match. So more often than not you'd end up sitting in a full lobby but the game would never start as the host was AFK, then people would slowly start to leave until no one was left and you'd go find another lobby ....just to get another AFK host.
Again, fair criticism and basically a no go for an online focused game.

Just wanted to point out that on a gameplay level Twisted Metal for PS3 was a stellar game.

Unknown?

No one gives a shit about car combat games now. If they are risk averse and dont want to invest in a new IP then try rebooting Killzone, Socom or Resistance. Shooters are bigger than ever and at least those games had some success.
Speak for yourself and it's not like those franchises you listed would be popular either.

aclar00

If there is actually a TM in the works I hope its most similar to TM2. That was the best in the series, then followed by Black. It needs to be fast paced and light (no overly burdensome and heavy controls). I just dont see enough of us out their being interested.

They need to bring back the dpad unputs for moves such as the freeze and jump, at least as an option for us old school players.

Ive said it before, i think they just need to release an updated TM2: Online HD remix with maybe two new vehicles for and i will personally be happy...

People shitting on TM need to go buy TM Black in the PSN sale right now. That game is still fucking awesome.

It is...and its also hard as fuck. I used to breeze through the campaign in this game but I got my ass kicked revisiting it.

One thing I will say that I hope they fix: its always been lame to be 1 v 5 or however many other cars are in the match. They always just go for the player.

This right here is exactly why we can't have nice things.

bitbydeath

I think they only threw Jaffe $50 to make it.
If it were a big budget title a lot more would have been interested.

Great news, Lucid proved how incompetent they were with Destruction All-Stars.

Sony wanted to sell new IP Destruction All Stars (a multiplayer online game only) as a PS5 exclusive and for 80€/ $ while doing no promo.. Who does all this on a new platform? Yes they gave it away on PSPlus...but that alone would never work for a multiplayer game like this. They sent the game out to die.

Lucid wasn't the only ones responsible... Sony doesn't know how to handle these games. I hope they learned their lesson. Imagine if they release Factions for 80€ lmao

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Sony wanted to sell new IP Destruction All Stars (a multiplayer online game only) as a PS5 exclusive and for 80€/ $ while doing no promo.. Who does all this on a new platform? Yes they gave it away on PSPlus...but that alone would never work for a multiplayer game like this. They sent the game out to die.

Lucid wasn't the only ones responsible... Sony doesn't know how to handle these games. I hope they learned their lesson. Imagine if they release Factions for 80€ lmao
I am big sony fan, however i personally think sony's attitude at the beginning of this generation has been fcking arrogant to say the least. Increasing game prices, promising free upgrade for horizion then going back on it, selling the same game with a £10/$10 difference accross generations, and biggest of them all lying about next gen only games when they will be cross gen. And to be honest the way they treated Destruction All Stars was abhorrent sent the game to die. New IP, PS5 ex., $80, No marketing, etc.. Hopefully Jimbo has woken up now.

Last edited:
Push Square corroborates and implies it is Firesprite on it not London
It kinda makes sense to move it inhouse.
Man, was Destruction Allstars really that bad??
I played it for about an hour over a friend's house, and it didn't seem that bad at all.
It was whatever, it’s rocket league without the ball. How the game released without a racing mode is crazy. It could have been burnout with powerups.

“Sony is scared to take risk. they only want to make 3rd person cinematic action games”

“Sony wants to make a battle royal car combat multiplayer game again” - WHAT THE FUCK!!!??????Why111!!
If Twisted Metal is made for fans of the series, the game is going to bomb so hard the studio making it is going to close. IDk who greenlighted a show and game about this series. They must of had a brilliant take on the series cause I have no clue how they can pull this off.

4436886835_9798cb2400_c.jpg

Might as well make another Modnation Racer and call it Twisted Metal.

sainraja

it isn't. some site gives it a bad score, then another and then internet decides it's bad.
game looks great, cars feel like they have weight, car destruction looks good and the characters/vehicles were very different from each other.
I don't get how Rocket League gets such high praise but Destruction AS is pure shit according to some people.
In RL you are just pushing a ball in a goal and in Destruction you are destroying cars with bunch of classes with their own weapons
They messed up the destroying cars mechanic by introducing a cooldown timer and linking it specific powers of your car to be able to do so which I think kinda ruined it but outside of that, you have a point.

Sony desperately wants a GaaS type multiplayer game. And Lucid games from what they did with Destruction All-Stars probably showed them they aren't doing much.

Probably a combination of behind schedule and not great returns in terms of quality.

There is also a timetable where you want this game out in time for the show to come out to capitalize on cross-marketing. Not at all a surprise, they were fired from the game.

Many of us aren't interested in Twisted Metal, but it is important for a lot of reasons. If it is successful, Sony will be more likely to reach back into the back catalog of games. So even if we don't buy/play it, we should want it to succeed if we want a Legend of Dragoon, Syphon Filter, SOCOM e.t.c.

It kinda makes sense to move it inhouse.

It was whatever, it’s rocket league without the ball. How the game released without a racing mode is crazy. It could have been burnout with powerups.

If Twisted Metal is made for fans of the series, the game is going to bomb so hard the studio making it is going to close. IDk who greenlighted a show and game about this series. They must of had a brilliant take on the series cause I have no clue how they can pull this off.

4436886835_9798cb2400_c.jpg

Might as well make another Modnation Racer and call it Twisted Metal.
Nooo, nooo, noooo! they can make both!

Where is Modnation for PS5?

Nooo, nooo, noooo! they can make both!

Where is Modnation for PS5?
PS5 doesnt have mascot racer yet. They should of had Playstation characters in Destruction All-Stars.

I think Twisted Metal is such a bad idea. Because it wouldn’t be successful if they stay true to the original, and there will be a vocal minority that will cry to the hilltops about a different direction.

Paulxo87

all they need to do is remake tm2 and tmb and add online play. A new game is not needed or necessary. been a fan of the series for over 20 years. I miss twisted metal alliance back in the day. A remaster of rogue trip would also be my dream but it'll never happen

PS5 doesnt have mascot racer yet. They should of had Playstation characters in Destruction All-Stars.

I think Twisted Metal is such a bad idea. Because it wouldn’t be successful if they stay true to the original, and there will be a vocal minority that will cry to the hilltops about a different direction.
Every once in a generation a game comes back and is even more popular than it originally was. Twisted Metal could certainly be that. It's not for all of us and I'm certainly not interested, but you don't see me playing fortnite or rocket league either.

Top Bottom