• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Crysis 3 Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Backwards Compatibility)

Arioco

Descripción​

Crysis 3 Remastered PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Backwards Compatibility)
VG Tech296 visualizaciones19 oct 2021
Crysis 3 Remastered frame rate comparison comparing the framerate/fps on PS5 vs Xbox Series X vs Xbox Series S all running via backwards compatibility. Subscribe for more gaming tech analysis: http://bit.ly/VGTechSubscribe The versions tested were 1.01 on PS5 and 1.0.0.1 on Xbox Series consoles. Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1760x990. Pixel counts seem to often be in the range of 1760x990 and 1920x1080 on Xbox Series S and pixel counts at 2560x1440 were rare. Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2304x1296. PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2186x1230. On PS5 and Xbox Series X pixel counts at the highest and lowest resolutions found were rare and the resolution changes often on both consoles. PS5 and Xbox Series X have improved draw distance compared to Xbox Series S which can be seen at 5:24

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1lsg5HVpCEfUq40zYoOMOdO-9WG3-nW0NGAWSQjmeEAg/htmlview

bbmas GIF by Billboard Music Awards

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Thats because PS5 has fewer tflops and the game's minimum DRS needs to be lower.
To me seems crazy that they would have to go below 1080p for this game, how old is it? It ran like shit on X360, but still that was like 0.5TF...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To me seems crazy that they would have to go below 1080p for this game, how old is it? It ran like shit on X360, but still that was like 0.5TF...
Drops on PS5 are clearly caused by engine, probably I/O, problems. No amount of DRS optimization will fix this.
Yep. This game should simply not be going under 1440p on either console. XSX's minimum shouldnt be 1080p for a PS360 game. PS5's shouldnt be below 1080p.

I bought the game on PC like 8 years ago when it came out and never played it. I will run it on my rtx 2080 at 1080p and see if it ever drops.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Thats because PS5 has fewer tflops and the game's minimum DRS needs to be lower.

In b4ban for mentioning the dreaded Tflop diffrence and causing the forum to go into a Crysis.

I think looking at this anyone interested should be getting it on PC, the question of course then being.... Can it run Crysis 3 remastered?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yep. This game should simply not be going under 1440p on either console. XSX's minimum shouldnt be 1080p for a PS360 game. PS5's shouldnt be below 1080p.

I bought the game on PC like 8 years ago when it came out and never played it. I will run it on my rtx 2080 at 1080p and see if it ever drops.
Granted it's motherfucking BC, which means you are leaving performance on the table. Because neither of the console is calling those APIs, which brought the IPC improvements over the last-gen GPUs.

I too was surprised to learn, how different the console model (even on Xbox) is in comparison to the PC model of drivers.

Arioco

Ps5 still drops

Min. 2:44

It's not an actual drop and therefore it's not related to rez or DRS. It's just the same checkpoint stutters the gane has been suffering from ever since it was originally released on PC. No matter how low you set the DRS, it will still stutter. Somehow they sorted it out on Series consoles, but the only console that I saw actually dropping franes is Series S.

In b4ban for mentioning the dreaded Tflop diffrence and causing the forum to go into a Crysis.

Mods needs to start working more to stop stupid people from derailing threads without a good reason.

Min. 2:44

It's not an actual drop and therefore it's not related to rez or DRS. It's just the same checkpoint stutters the gane has been suffering from ever since it was originally released on PC. No matter how low you set the DRS, it will still stutter. Somehow they sorted it out on Series consoles, but the only console that I saw actually dropping franes is Series S.

Game shipped without complete PS5 support, I think, it needs a day one patch.
And in general the code is still bugged and may crash. These drops are entirely the fault of the game.

SlimySnake

Mods needs to start working more to stop stupid people from derailing threads without a good reason.
Whats stupid about what I said?

And how exactly is that a derail. We are trying to determine why next gen consoles are going from native 4k to 1080p. a 4x reduction in resolution. We are trying to determine why PS5 is going even lower. This kind of fluctuation simply should not happen. That is literally the topic of the thread.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Whats stupid about what I said?

And how exactly is that a derail. We are trying to determine why next gen consoles are going from native 4k to 1080p. a 4x reduction in resolution. We are trying to determine why PS5 is going even lower. This kind of fluctuation simply should not happen. That is literally the topic of the thread.
That is literally the point of DRS. It drops to the absolute minimum on rare occasions to remain at locked 60 which both consols seem to be doing. During normal gameplay, they are somewhere in the middle of the DRS rage as intimated by both DF and VGTech. An RTX 3090 at 4K native runs at ~35fps. It's safe to say the game is a fairly demanding game.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

"Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2304x1296. PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2186x1230."
both 1296p and 1230p > 1080p

SlimySnake

not in crysis 3 case, as df found its checkpoints moments with fps drops and on ps5 its same as on ps4, its not gpu connected
"Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2304x1296. PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2186x1230."
I saw the checkpoint stutters in the video last night. Those arent drops. The game literally freezes for up to 3 seconds. They have nothing to do with the GPU.

I thought werewolfgrandma was talking about actual dips during combat. I didnt see the entire DF video so I figured I missed something.

Ps5 still drops

Last edited:

SlimySnake

That is literally the point of DRS. It drops to the absolute minimum on rare occasions to remain at locked 60 which both consols seem to be doing. During normal gameplay, they are somewhere in the middle of the DRS rage as intimated by both DF and VGTech. An RTX 3090 at 4K native runs at ~35fps. It's safe to say the game is a fairly demanding game.
The game is dropping from 4k to 1296p on Xbox and 1230p on PS5. Thats what 2.8 million pixels? All the way from 8.2 million pixels? Even Control with all its destruction doesnt flactuate this much. The game needs some serious optimization. This feels like a lazy port.

Tripolygon

Banned
The game is dropping from 4k to 1296p on Xbox and 1230p on PS5. Thats what 2.8 million pixels? All the way from 8.2 million pixels? Even Control with all its destruction doesnt flactuate this much. The game needs some serious optimization. This feels like a lazy port.
There is nothing lazy about the port. DF themselves consulted and gave feedback. They prioritized performance over resolution. And again the lower bound is reached on rare occasions.

The DRS is aggressive so that you can have a perfect 60 fps. It's always a trade-off.

Arioco

Guess he's talking about the pixel counts made by DF. It's weird that VGT hasn't found any frame below 1230p though.

You responded to W Werewolfgrandma "Ps5 still drops" with:

The PS5, the PS5 specifically, because it's weaker and needs to go to minimum resolution.
The PS5, not both consoles, just the PS5.
As expected you received a good amount of likes, is very clear what you did.
MODS!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
DF is becoming more a review channel/site. They are still the best at technical analysis, but they add the "review" part so they can interject there opinions more. Another reason for this is an attempt to try and direct the feedback and conservation. Which is a bit annoying because it means the social media discourse surrounding there videos is effecting some of them personally, which is shame for people who want unadulterated technical analysis.

I wish they would keep the technical analysis and opinions/personal tastes seperate. Because even though it may not be intended when somone adds the opinions and tastes to technical analysis videos its going to add a degree of bias.

SlimySnake

You responded to W Werewolfgrandma "Ps5 still drops" with:

The PS5, the PS5 specifically, because it's weaker and needs to go to minimum resolution.
The PS5, not both consoles, just the PS5.
As expected you received a good amount of likes, is very clear what you did.
MODS!
He was talking about framerate, not resolution. He said ps5 still dips to my post which was talking about the Xbox version dropping resolution to 1080p to maintain 60 FPS.

You seem to have completely missed the post where I pointed out how Xbox has to downscale to 1080p in order to maintain 60 FPS.

And stop crying to mods. I thought you were an ok poster. This is embarrassing.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's a current-gen aware game with enhancements over the last-gen versions.
I think a year in to this gen, they should at least package this up with the ps5 sdk. That should be the bare minimum.

They are missing out on all the rdna IPC gains. That’s 25% right there. Then there are the io enhancements that let the ps5 truly shine.

This is a brand new release. Even older games old doom, control and Metro got PS5 SKUs years after release. This is one of the few cross gen releases to not get a next gen SKU after launch. The only other game I can think of is Cyberpunk, and its console ports were the definition of lazy.

Tripolygon

Banned
I think a year in to this gen, they should at least package this up with the ps5 sdk. That should be the bare minimum.

They are missing out on all the rdna IPC gains. That’s 25% right there. Then there are the io enhancements that let the ps5 truly shine.

This is a brand new release. Even older games old doom, control and Metro got PS5 SKUs years after release. This is one of the few cross gen releases to not get a next gen SKU after launch. The only other game I can think of is Cyberpunk, and its console ports were the definition of lazy.
Still doesn’t make it a lazy port. That’s an insane claim considering how they solicited some assist from DF which they used to tune the game. The game performs well and looks really good, compared to Cyberpunk which had all kinds of issues on consoles.

SlimySnake

Still doesn’t make it a lazy port. That’s an insane claim considering how they solicited some assist from DF which they used to tune the game. The game performs well and looks really good, compared to Cyberpunk which had all kinds of issues on consoles.
Doesnt matter if they reached out to DF. What matters is what they delivered. I refuse to believe that DF didnt tell them to port the game on the PS5 SDK to take full advantage of RDNA architecture.

Doesnt matter if they reached out to DF. What matters is what they delivered. I refuse to believe that DF didnt tell them to port the game on the PS5 SDK to take full advantage of RDNA architecture.
People always get triggered whenever the word "lazy" is used to describe certain developer efforts, but what other word is there for when devs don't meet the standard minimum of the rest of industry?

Top Bottom