• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Cyberpunk 2077 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

assurdum

Banned
is the ray tracing on both consoles identical or is one pushing higher res ray tracing reflections or anything like that? not watched the video yet as in work
From what we know is identical. Reflections doesn't use raytracing though.

Last edited:
images-3.jpg

DJ12

Same here. Maybe Sony's engineers opted out because they felt like it wasn't worth it
I think it's there is ps5, it is actually a really useful tool when paired with eye tracking, which psvr2 has. So seems silly to not include it when it's already part of rdna 2.

Outside of that edge case though, it needs to die.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Those people who claimed they could see Tier 2 VRS on Doom Eternal when DF and NXgamer can't spot it pixel counting a still image🤣🤣

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The examples all show xbox with a higher res, so it's obviously not totally wrong. But Series x goes lower than ps5 and doesnt have a higher limit like Tom claims.

Also, rt Mode, Series X needs a lower res to maintain the framerate. This doesn't tally with the paper specs. Xbox should perform better with rt. I wonder if we'll ever find out what the issues are.

The lower bound difference between the two is less than 40p, calm down lol. Hope people here are smart enough to realize just because one dips 40p lower in one instance doesn't mean it's always lower.

The Perf mode readings show that even in the same bounds there's always variances. Like DF said, the SX seems to generally have higher average resolutions.

Kabuki Entrance - PS5 2176x1224, Series X 2304x1296
Near Police Station - PS5: 2435x1370, Series X: 2560x1440
Outside Tom's Diner - PS5: 2506x1410, Series X: 2631x1480
Corpo Start Building - PS5: 2656x1494, Series X: 2744x1544
Streetkid Start - PS5: 2062x1160, Series X: 2062x1160

Interesting to note VGTech catches the game go all the way up to 2160p when neither DF or NX did.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I now have more than 10 hours on the PS5 version from an old PS4 save and haven’t seen any screen tearing or frame rate issues. It plays great and it made me reappreciate the game. There are random, rare and short stuttering loading issues in long sessions. I had one crash as well but the game is constantly saving.

I’m at the point of no return and will probably finish it today. For everyone on the fence, PS5 offers a smooth experience with great weapon dualsense implementation and the ambient sound effects - for when Johnny appears - coming from the controller are also a cool mindfuck.

Recommended.
yeah, I’m loving the game too. Awesome on both. The duelsense features sound cool :)

ethomaz

Banned
RT Mode is the one to play even with he low resolution that will make things hard on 4k TVs.

But no tearing and solid performance makes this mode the best one here… of course that can change if they fix these issues in Performance Mode.

PS5 keep the trend alive even against RDNA2’s VRS.

Last edited:

adamsapple

it’s amazing news, if VRS is so good that we’ll educated tech analysis peeps can’t spot it. Bodes we’ll for the future.

Yeah, the difference in T1 and T2 VRS is tangible if implemented properly (see Gears Tactics, ~15% performance gain with no perceptible visual downgrade).

RT Mode is the one to play even with he low resolution that will make things hard on 4k TVs.

But no tearing and solid performance makes this mode the best one here… of course that can change if they fix these issues in Performance Mode.

The RT effects in this game are barely notable. Sacrificing double the performance for that ?

Nah Performance mode is easily the way to go here on consoles.

60 FPS and higher dynamic resolution over RT shadows every day.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Arioco Arioco

would you mind formatting the OP text a little bit ? It's a jumbled up pile right now.

Arioco Arioco Here it is if you want to replace the text in the OP

PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2368x1332. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on PS5 in Performance Mode.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

Below are some example pixel counts for certain scenes on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. Note that these figures are approximate and not necessarily representative of how the entirety of a given area will render.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using VRS.

FSR appears to be used to upscale the image to 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S. The UI resolution is also rendered at 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S.

Ray Tracing Mode adds Ray Traced Local Shadows. Ray Tracing Mode also improves Screen Space Reflections quality and also seems to improve Ambient Occlusion quality.

There aren't any selectable modes on Xbox Series S.

Edit: Seems if you copy the text from YouTube into notepad first and then into the forum, it will maintain its formatting.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, the difference in T1 and T2 VRS is tangible if implemented properly (see Gears Tactics, ~15% performance gain with no perceptible visual downgrade).

The RT effects in this game are barely notable. Sacrificing double the performance for that ?

Nah Performance mode is easily the way to go here on consoles.

60 FPS and higher dynamic resolution over RT shadows every day.
Tearing and not solid 60fps is what it makes it lose.

Said that is close to be solid on PS5… 98% 60fps… Séries X struggle a bit to hold it with 96% 60fps.

I’m not happy with the lower resolution in RT mode… below 1440p makes things hard on 4k TVs.

Last edited:

Lysandros

The examples all show xbox with a higher res, so it's obviously not totally wrong. But Series x goes lower than ps5 and doesnt have a higher limit like Tom claims.

Also, rt Mode, Series X needs a lower res to maintain the framerate. This doesn't tally with the paper specs. Xbox should perform better with rt. I wonder if we'll ever find out what the issues are.
As a general law or principle? Based on?..

sinnergy

Not to be a troll , because this is not a bad thing.

It’s probably because the engine is 6 years old, if not older . The PS5 is perfect for this , as it would run these engines faster .. because of the clocks .

If you use more parallel instructions instructions heavily outcomes would probably be different. Unless we are starting to see new engines only for next-gen , we can be sure .

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

It’s probably because the engine is 6 years old, if not older . The PS5 is perfect for this , as it would run these engines faster .. because of the clocks .

If you use more parallel instructions instructions heavily outcomes would probably be different. Unless we are starting to see new engines only for next-gen , we can be sure .
If all PS5 should be better for newer engines… even AMD changed all GPUs to fast and narrow following what nVidia is doing for a decade already.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

You're seriously saying playing at lower res and half the framerate is better?

XSX drops the lowest usually in areas CPU limited.

Exactly, seems SX has slitghtly better performances at GPU level with overall higher resolution (but 5% is clearly not a game changer), but yes it seems with the CPU is limiting on SX in the areas where it is more demanding. And that's interesting because that's not the first time we see such situation.
But overall, it is so similar between the two, as it the case for 99% of the games we have seen on these consoles and (I'm pretty sure) as it will be the case in the futur.

adamsapple

There's barely a difference between the two any way, SX has a slightly higher average resolution and PS5 has a slightly higher average frame rate. The VGTech video actually makes the performance difference between the PS5 and SX Performance mode lower than what DF recorded.

If you own a VRR device, you get the best of both worlds.

Regardless you're getting the best version of the game on consoles till date.

NXGamer

I'm talking about Cyberpunk, somebody is wrong as nobody but VGtech mentioned it in this new patch.
It does not work like that, I did my analysis in less than 12hrs.

Dynamic solutions are, Dynamic so you can only count what you get.

As for VRS and FSR, again more time I would have studied it more, but they may have it on Series consoles, they may not. VG tech could have seen it or assumed it was in as PC had this added also. (Both Local RT shadows, VRS and FSR).

All this info is just good data, use it, ignore it, ask question, discuss around it, but do not bite the hand(s) that feed.

Lysandros

Exactly, seems SX has slitghtly better performances at GPU level with overall higher resolution (but 5% is clearly not a game changer), but yes it seems with the CPU is limiting on SX in the areas where it is more demanding. And that's interesting because that's not the first time we see such situation.
But how do you explain the state of 30 FPS RT mode in this context then, do you still think it's mostly CPU bound? Besides, PS5 has also it's advantages on GPU side.

Last edited:

Bluntman

The problem seems to be DirectX Raytracing. DXR 1.1 is much better and faster than DXR 1.0 but still a very limited and stiff API.

Sony uses their custom solution which leaves devs with more freedom to extract performance - for example LOD phases don't need to be set before casting rays.

I guess that's why Spider-man's raytracing performed so well.

Last edited:

CobraAB

In before the meltdowns.

Poor df raising these warriors hopes.

PS5 the version to play.

Stats don't lie.

Not even having the "saviour" that is vrs enabled can bring the series x performance up to the ps5s standard and the crutch of having vrr available leads to poor performance to a good percentage of xbox owners without a vrr TV.

Got to be a reason why ps5s drs works and it maintains its framerate for the most part while the series x goes higher and suffers for it.

I wonder if MS have put out a directive to have a higher resolution at the expense of framerate.
Because Mark Ceany. 😉

Hahaha you dumb shits use stats from a very dynamic game to say someone was wrong or right or one is better than the other when they are less than a % different in pretty much every scenario. Hahahaha. NXGamer NXGamer showed that if you fire 5 extra bullets at a piece of glass you lose 5 more fps. Omg you Warriors sometimes are too much.
Pretty much the same thing from the Farcry 5 thread: ‘OMG Digital Foundry and VGtech got slightly different numbers, one of them must be totally wrong!”

Makes even less sense in this game when even the crowd density is basically RNG.

adamsapple

Said that is close to be solid on PS5… 98% 60fps… Séries X struggle a bit to hold it with 96% 60fps.

98% is solid but 96% is "struggling".

I swear you guys are too much sometimes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But how do you explain the state of 30 FPS RT mode in this context then, do you still think it's mostly CPU bound? Besides, PS5 has also it's advantages on GPU side.

A less than 40p difference in one dynamic instance is not an advantage and they both run the RT mode 100% locked.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I’m not happy with the lower resolution in RT mode… below 1440p makes things hard on 4k TVs.
I’m sorry mate, but you are on crack if you think a 30fps 1440p mode beats out a 60 fps mode at almost the same or higher resolution with some drops from 60fps in intense scenes.

if you have a decent display hooked up to your Xbox console then the performance mode is a no brainer.

Last edited:

Roberts

I’ve been playing for about 30 hours in perf mode now (on XSX) and noticed frame drops maybe 3 or 4 times. RT mode with its barely noticeable graphics improvements and imput lag just isn’t worth it.

Leyasu

Banned
The problem with these variable res counts is the fact that in order to declare anything decisive would be to count every frame.

There’s no guarantee that the results wouldn’t be reversed in a similar scene somewhere else in the game. This isn’t just about people claiming a win for PlayStation, it is applicable to xbros too

Last edited:

Arioco

Arioco Arioco Here it is if you want to replace the text in the OP

PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2368x1332. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on PS5 in Performance Mode.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

Below are some example pixel counts for certain scenes on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. Note that these figures are approximate and not necessarily representative of how the entirety of a given area will render.

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using VRS.

FSR appears to be used to upscale the image to 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S. The UI resolution is also rendered at 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S.

Ray Tracing Mode adds Ray Traced Local Shadows. Ray Tracing Mode also improves Screen Space Reflections quality and also seems to improve Ambient Occlusion quality.

There aren't any selectable modes on Xbox Series S.

Edit: Seems if you copy the text from YouTube into notepad first and then into the forum, it will maintain its formatting.

Thanks you so much dude, I'll do it right away. I see it just fine but it seems like some people have trouble reading the copy&pasted from YouTube, I don't know why.

Again, thanks a lot. 👍
Arioco Arioco

would you mind formatting the OP text a little bit ? It's a jumbled up pile right now.

Of course, no problem at all. 👍

adamsapple

I’m sorry mate, but you are on crack if you think a 30fps 1440p mode beats out a 60 fps mode at almost the same or higher resolution with some drops from 60fps in intense scenes.

if you have a decent display hooked up to your Xbox console then the performance mode is a no brainer.

They think a 2% drop from 100% consistency is a deal breaker, a really weird thought process.

Most people will take the performance mode in a heartbeat but I guess there's always some oddballs.

tommib

They think a 2% drop from 100% consistency is a deal breaker, a really weird thought process.

Most people will take the performance mode in a heartbeat but I guess there's always some oddballs.
The tech comparisons are to blame as well. These analysis focus precisely on these drops as a “big event” and it has conditioned gamers to go by a live or die by the fps sword mentality. Absurd, yes, but there’s a lot of people making money on YouTube because of this.

Top Bottom