• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Cyberpunk 2077 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Just for clarity, I did spot it and highlighted it in my analysis.

Samurai GIF

Nice

Last edited:

Markio128

Blimey, folk will fight tooth and nail on here to try and prove their bit of plastic is better than another’s haha.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm talking about Cyberpunk, somebody is wrong as nobody but VGtech mentioned it in this new patch.

Terrible way to look at it, Riky. None of the analysts are "wrong", they are testing sample sizes and reporting their findings. It's not as if any of them definitively claimed VRS was absent, they simply didn't spot it. The limitations of sample testing should go without saying, especially for something as highly variable as a video game.

onQ123

The examples all show xbox with a higher res, so it's obviously not totally wrong. But Series x goes lower than ps5 and doesnt have a higher limit like Tom claims.

Also, rt Mode, Series X needs a lower res to maintain the framerate. This doesn't tally with the paper specs. Xbox should perform better with rt. I wonder if we'll ever find out what the issues are.
The only real issue is people not understanding GPU specs & thinking that compute FLOPS is everything.

Riky

$MSFT
We had this conversation before Riky, I'm not going to go digging again to find something I have already shown you before.

You didn't show me last time, just a link to the PC specs. There is nothing about Series consoles and DF confirmed the first third party game to use Tier 2 VRS was Doom Eternal.

Lets go over the numbers again.

resolution:
  • Streetkid Start - PS5: 2062x1160, Série X: 2062x1160. ( 0.00% )
  • Corpo Start Building - PS5: 2656x1494, Série X: 2744x1544 ( 6% )
  • Outside Tom's Diner - PS5: 2506x1410, Série X: 2631x1480 ( 9% )
  • Near Police Station - PS5: 2435x1370, Série X: 2560x1440 ( 9% )
  • Kabuki Entrance - PS5 2176x1224, Série X 2304x1296 ( 10% )
framerate:
  • Ps5: 98% at 60 fps
  • Xbox SX : 96% at 60fps

That's what I keep saying.
The SeX's resolution advantage is being so small and momentary that is meaningless, and when t has this "advantage" onscreen it's dropping more frames. If you have a VRR TV good for you, but still, where is the performance advantage? Is this performance advantage being used intelligently?

Ray tracing Resolution:
  • Ps5: 2368x1332 ~ 1440p
  • Xbox SX: 2304x1296~ 1440p
Ps5 with 6% over the SeX, now this is inexplicable, this is the situation where the SeX should simple brute force over the PS5.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It does not work like that, I did my analysis in less than 12hrs.

Dynamic solutions are, Dynamic so you can only count what you get.

As for VRS and FSR, again more time I would have studied it more, but they may have it on Series consoles, they may not. VG tech could have seen it or assumed it was in as PC had this added also. (Both Local RT shadows, VRS and FSR).

All this info is just good data, use it, ignore it, ask question, discuss around it, but do not bite the hand(s) that feed.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.
I'm not criticising you, I'm talking about the trolls who claimed they can easily see Tier 2 VRS during gameplay and how bad it was, I've played through Gears 5 and Doom Eternal on Series consoles and never seen anything at all.

Now if this patch does use it and it's that obvious that even people pixel counting still images didn't spot it then it proves just how effective it is.

Last edited:

tommib

Lets go over the numbers again.

resolution:
  • Streetkid Start - PS5: 2062x1160, Série X: 2062x1160. ( 0.00% )
  • Corpo Start Building - PS5: 2656x1494, Série X: 2744x1544 ( 6% )
  • Outside Tom's Diner - PS5: 2506x1410, Série X: 2631x1480 ( 9% )
  • Near Police Station - PS5: 2435x1370, Série X: 2560x1440 ( 9% )
  • Kabuki Entrance - PS5 2176x1224, Série X 2304x1296 ( 10% )
framerate:
  • Ps5: 98% at 60 fps
  • Xbox SX : 96% at 60fps

That's what I keep saying.
The SeX's resolution advantage is being so small and momentary that is meaningless, and and it has this "advantage" onscreen it's droping more frames. If you have a VRR TV good for you, but still, where is the performance advantage? Is this performance advantage being used intelligently?

Ray tracing Resolution:
  • Ps5: 2368x1332 ~ 1440p
  • Xbox SX: 2304x1296~ 1440p
Ps5 with 6% over the SeX, now this is inexplicable, this is the situation where the SeX should simple brute force over the PS5.
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I seriously doubt the Series consoles use VRS and both DF and NXgamer missed it? I think he might be getting confused if it uses FSR.

We clearly know what it isn't, Tier 2 VRS.

And how am I seeing people claim PS5 is resolution and fps winner when the average framerate edge is less than 1fps in favor of PS5 with a consistently lower resolution?

And see those minimum framerates? It shows you PS5 has drops at 60fps every bit as big as what is rarely found on Series X. This is how you do testing, you don't check isolated one off scenes, you take results across the spectrum because areas where one may fair better, it may not fair so well in another situation. It's why I like VGTECH's methodology better.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Do devs ever explain why the PS5 performs better when the other console is more powerful?

GHG

Gold Member
Do devs ever explain why the PS5 performs better when the other console is more powerful?

Why should they? It's not their fault that some people were fooled into believing that a theoretical peak TF number is the only thing that matters.

We even had a developer from Crytek explain why it's not the most important thing but he was promptly hounded and silenced.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why every time that PS5 ever so slightly outperforms XSX in a RT mode, people treat it as some form of existencial crisis, or an event of very mysterious and inexplicable origin nearly 1.5 years into the generation?

But it doesn't outperform it, what are you taking about lol

Darsxx82

And none of you could tell the difference in resolution until someone on the internet told you
Surely as difficult as detecting, without a framerate counter, the difference between 56fps vs 53fps or 47fps vs 44fps on very specific occasions in the most intense moments (both versions maintain 60fps the vast majority of the time including shooting confrontations)

But we all know what the goal is here... to find a winning version even if it's 0.6% framerate difference or 5-10% higher resolution impossible to detect for 99'998% of people 🤗

GHG

Gold Member
Damn man some of y'all are relentless, here you go same phone under different lighting and a steadier hand lol.

Bonus duck donuts.

img-20220221-wa0003i6kun.jpg

There used to be a Duck Donuts here in Dubai but Covid killed them :( . They were so good.

Fuck, now I'm hungry.

ethomaz

Banned
You're seriously saying playing at lower res and half the framerate is better?
Tearing is basically the first non-go issue in my book.
After blurry IQ.
60fps gameplay but 30fps cutscenes.
Fluctuation in Framerate (either 30 or 60 not solid).
Resoltuion.
Low Framerate.

I can play fine 30fps games so yeap it just needs to be solid.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There used to be a Duck Donuts here in Dubai but Covid killed them :( . They were so good.

Fuck, now I'm hungry.
Oh you're from Dubai fam?

I'm also a middle eastern boy who now lives in the US, I haven't been to Dubai in years but I really want to go back there to see how much it's changed over the last 5 years.

Reactions: GHG

NXGamer

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.
I'm not criticising you, I'm talking about the trolls who claimed they can easily see Tier 2 VRS during gameplay and how bad it was, I've played through Gears 5 and Doom Eternal on Series consoles and never seen anything at all.

Now if this patch does use it and it's that obvious that even people pixel counting still images didn't spot it then it proves just how effective it is.
Sorry, my mistake and I apologies for the misunderstanding.

ethomaz

Banned
I can't be remembering wrong but others games already showed RT running better on PS5.
In any case both consoles handles RT way different from each other.

PS5 is free to devs do whatever they wanted, the way/path they choose.
Series are limited to what you can do with DXR.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
But it doesn't outperform it, what are you taking about lol

They think if they say it enough it becomes true. But the only like for like scenes posted show a constant resolution advantage for Series X in performance mode and the framerate is 98% Vs 97% but one has VRR anyway.

Lysandros

I can't be remembering wrong but others games already showed RT running better on PS5.
In any case both consoles handles RT way different from each other.

PS5 is free to devs do whatever they wanted, the way/path they choose.
Series are limited to what you can do with DXR.
Indeed the difference in FPS (same resolution) was pretty large in favor of PS5 in Ghostrunner featuring RT reflections. Dying Light 2 is another more recent example but the difference was much more 'academic' according to Vgtech stats.

As to handling RT differently, you mean higher clock speed vs more (slower) intersection engines, like more bounces generated per ray vs more ray cast?

S
"Kabuki Entrance - PS5 2176x1224, Series X 2304x1296 Near Police Station - PS5: 2435x1370, Series X: 2560x1440 Outside Tom's Diner - PS5: 2506x1410, Series X: 2631x1480 Corpo Start Building - PS5: 2656x1494, Series X: 2744x1544 Streetkid Start - PS5: 2062x1160, Series X: 2062x1160"

He gives you the figures in like for like scenes.
So how PS5 wins? Lol

ethomaz

Banned
Indeed the difference in FPS (same resolution) was pretty large in favor of PS5 in Ghostrunner featuring RT reflections. Dying Light 2 is another more recent example but the difference was much more 'academic' according to Vgtech stats.

As to handling RT differently, you mean higher clock speed vs more (slower) intersection engines, like more bounces generated per ray vs more ray cast?
Not about clocks.
It is about how you code your RT.
In DXR you are limited to use the way DXR do... you can't choose another path even if it can be faster.
In PS5 it is low level so you can do what you want.

Said that the PS5 API way require more work... with DXR you do things easier... that is evidente in doing multiplatform code... it will run in PC, Series X, Seriex S, etc.
PS5 code will only run on PS5 but it gives devs freedom.

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

CYBERPUNK for series x and ps5 are upgraded versions of Ps4 pro/Xbox one x. If this game was made from the ground up for next gen the performance would be much better than what was released.

Lysandros

Not about clocks.
It is about how you code your RT.
In DXR you are limited to use the way DXR do... you can't choose another path even if it can be faster.
In PS5 it is low level so you can do what you want.

Said that the PS5 API way require more work... with DXR you do things easier... that is evidente in doing multiplatform code... it will run in PC, Series X, Seriex S, etc.
PS5 code will only run on PS5 but it gives devs freedom.
About the differences in APIs/integration then, i see. Thanks.

Top Bottom