• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Cyberpunk 2077 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

BigLee74

All those wrong narratives (and others like 12tf will inevitably be better than 10tf based on very different PC GPUs benchmarks) created and maintained by Digital Foundry in several articles, discord or twitter before the release of the consoles. Let us never forget about that.

Chance would be a fine thing 😂 Half of this forum have been banging this tiny little tedious drum endlessly for the past year.

assurdum

Banned
I really don't know how to break it down for you any further other than redirecting you to my initial comment.
Such parameters are dictated to the hardware specs. It's evident there isn't enough grunt to push the UE5 on XSX significantly higher than the ps5 parameters. It's always like this in multiplat engine.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Here’s a Performance mode screen for the real Cyberpunk 2077 fans out there.
XLIYf9v.jpg

I finally was able to play the PS5 version earlier today at my brother's. I honestly couldn't tell much difference between the two. There were a few drops on both, but neither was better or worse than the other by any significant margin.

It's no surprise that the best way to play this game is on the Series X with VRR. PS5 really dropped the ball with that feature. It's not the end all, be all of features, but it's made the Series X the defacto comparison winner in just about every game so far this gen.

TheHTIC

Neo Member
Maybe something is wrong with me or my standards aren't high enough but I got it for 10.00 and played it on my X1X and I had fun wit the game. I was thinking about replaying it on my SX or PS5 but I'll never get to my backlog if I do.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yes the higher and lower bounds are the same, but we were talking about the pixel counts, and working out an average with them
For an average (or even more for a mean) to be statistically meaningful we'd need more than 5 samples (7, if counting peak/bottom).
And the whole methodology of how pixel counting works makes it nigh impossible to compute averages since they need to look for cases where Temporal-sampling breaks down (can't really do arbitrary sampling, and it's too costly to do a lot of frames anyway).

This has been an on-going problem with DRS - it's one of the good reasons why DF suggested they wanted to move away from pixel-counting.

It's no surprise that the best way to play this game is on the Series X with VRR. PS5 really dropped the ball with that feature. It's not the end all, be all of features, but it's made the Series X the defacto comparison winner in just about every game so far this gen.
I honestly fail to see how that's the case when you need a very specific television type to even leverage the feature.

As without it, we have enough evidence of the results and they tend to not favor the X. I think devs should just go for resolution parity at this point because no one's going to notice a couple hundred pixel difference when actively playing, but they will see AND feel 10 less frames of motion per second especially during intense sequences.

Darsxx82

I honestly fail to see how that's the case when you need a very specific television type to even leverage the feature.

As without it, we have enough evidence of the results and they tend to not favor the X. I think devs should just go for resolution parity at this point because no one's going to notice a couple hundred pixel difference when actively playing, but they will see AND feel 10 less frames of motion per second especially during intense sequences.
There are, and not a few but quite the opposite, games with higher resolution in XSX and also the same or even in some cases even better framerate. So I don't understand that "developers should"...

It is as simple as understanding that no matter how similar and equal XSX an PS5 may be, there is always some difference or circumstances that makes it difficult or even impossible to achieve absolute parity. Starting with different development tools and software, base plataform, I/O diferences, OS diferences,....

And no, here we are not talking about 10fps difference LOL 😂. We are talking about versions that in the vast majority of the time are stable 60fps on both consoles and only in certain specific areas and extreme situations is the framerate affected. And when this happens, of course there is no 10 fps on average in favor of PS5, not even close as can be seen in the Stats. Another thing is that at a very specific moment you can see those 10fps... like others where XSX works several fps better than PS5. It's more situations of 2-5 fps difference at ~50 fps ranges that return to 60 fps fairly quickly. At that point, the Studio can understand that there is no need to spend more resources on optimizing and achieving parity because the experience they offer on both platforms can already be classified as "the same" even if in a forum of enthusiasts we are aware of who It has 1 fps more or less or when 100-50p more resolution is noticed. Believe me, it is as difficult or more to notice a difference of 55fps vs 52fps than 10% more resolution. Even more so if when those drops always coincide at the moment to quickly go to 60fps the vast majority of the game time.

That is, that "developers should seek resolution parity for framerate parity" does not hold and is more complicated.

avin

One console is pushing a few more more pixels on average but - and perhaps for that reason - seems to drop a few more frames at stress points on average. I don't see how it's reasonable to declare a winner based on these data, yet many people seem to have managed it.

avin

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They both drop frames so anyone claiming the one without VRR is "better" is asinine. Get better TVs and you don't have to argue about nonsense performance differences, or at least you won't as soon as Sony gets off their asses and enables it.
For minor discrepancies, which again for console titles we should demand developers lock the framerate better (40 FPS mode on 120 Hz TV’s feels like a better use than framerate fluctuating between 30 and 60 Hz), but sure it can be great for 120 FPS modes and even fluctuating between 90 and 120 FPS. Once the feature is available on PS5 it will stop being used to mace excuses one way or another as it cannot be something people war on. The point that will stay is that console games ought to be better optimised.
Then again people complained about people Morning software updates were hurting game quality at launch with similar arguments about people complaining over reliance on VRR for fixed specs closed boxes game consoles to fox framerate issues is not a good trend in and of itself… so we will see.

VRR on many TV’s still bring gamma issues (OLED in particular) and if the framerate wildly fluctuates so does the game speed which may or many not be noticeable depending on the framerate (fluctuations around 120 Hz are a lot less noticeable than fluctuations between 30 and 60 FPS).

One console is pushing a few more more pixels on average but - and perhaps for that reason - seems to drop a few more frames at stress points on average. I don't see how it's reasonable to declare a winner based on these data, yet many people seem to have managed it.

avin
DF also like to do it. It's funny Medium was better on the PS5 thanks only to resolution ;)

Darsxx82

Not according to NXgamer's analysis, that's the other way around there.
According to NXG too
-XSX and PS5 have the same resolution range in performance mode
-No drop under 1440p in RT mode
-XSS is 1440p locked
-Framerate is almost identical with PS5 advantage in areas of driving and XSx in shooting. ...

The thing is that you try again to make believe that they (DF, VGT, NXG....) are only wrong or are credible in the parts that suit your narrative.🤔

Last edited:
According to NXG too
-XSX and PS5 have the same resolution range in performance mode
-No drop under 1440p in RT mode
-XSS is 1440p locked
-Framerate is almost identical with PS5 advantage in areas of driving and XSx in shooting. ...

The thing is that you try again to make believe that they (DF, VGT, NXG....) are only wrong or are credible in the parts that suit your narrative.🤔
They are all right and all wrong. My post from other thread showing the huge variance in performance from play to play
A little example of the extreme variables in framerate analysis in this game.
TojSlHJ.jpg

69k2F4W.jpg
practically identical run thru and huge difference in performance measured.

Tripolygon

Banned
Why even argue about shit you can easily verify yourself?

PS5 version loads from anywhere between 7 to 15 seconds depending on where you are loading into.

DaGwaphics

This is a DRS game, thus the resolution isn't what is causing any frame variances, outside of maybe a split second for the scaling. Most Xbox games are more closely linked to their PC counterparts than the PS5 version, thus you see bugs that exist on PC make their way into the Xbox version (the stutter in Control UE at launch, etc.) People are arguing hardware when this might just be a bit of a DirectX issue with this engine or a CPU scheduling issue, etc.

People trying to make the differences here into something of note looking desperate at this point. LOL

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So I finally broke my 2077 cherry and started playing this on SX.

Just off the top I'm thankful that more and more games are adding the option to disable things like Chromatic Aberration, Motion Blur etc.

The IQ is pretty crisp once you turn off those IQ degrading effects, even Depth of Field can go in my book.

Performance has been incredibly solid in my first few hours and even if there are any drops, I can't feel any loss in response cause of VRR.

Seems to be a pretty good upgrade compared to how it was before from what I've seen.

svbarnard

Banned
So how does cyberpunk 2077 compare to PC ultra on series X? Would you say they visually look about the same?

Is there anyone here who plays cyberpunk 2077 on series S, how does the aiming feel on the controller? I'm playing cyberpunk on Xbox One and the aiming feels kind of wonky using the default settings.

(Thanks to @Topher for taking the time and formatting the text for better reading).

PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2368x1332. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Ray Tracing Mode.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on PS5 in Performance Mode.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2062x1160. Pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

Below are some example pixel counts for certain scenes on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. Note that these figures are approximate and not necessarily representative of how the entirety of a given area will render.

Kabuki Entrance - PS5 2176x1224, Series X 2304x1296
Near Police Station - PS5: 2435x1370, Series X: 2560x1440
Outside Tom's Diner - PS5: 2506x1410, Series X: 2631x1480
Corpo Start Building - PS5: 2656x1494, Series X: 2744x1544
Streetkid Start - PS5: 2062x1160, Series X: 2062x1160

The Xbox Series consoles appear to be using VRS.

FSR appears to be used to upscale the image to 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S. The UI resolution is also rendered at 3840x2160 on PS5 and Series X in both modes and 2560x1440 on Series S.

Ray Tracing Mode adds Ray Traced Local Shadows. Ray Tracing Mode also improves Screen Space Reflections quality and also seems to improve Ambient Occlusion quality.

There aren't any selectable modes on Xbox Series S.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1rSH0G75kNKFVGbXOBC7nOMn9bLfGrTTjAmbwcuQy9r8/htmlview

The video is titled as a "frame rate test" and you're summary does not mention frame rate once? Instead you wrote only about resolution. Why? What were the frame rate results?

DukeNukem00

Banned
So how does cyberpunk 2077 compare to PC ultra on series X? Would you say they visually look about the same?

Is there anyone here who plays cyberpunk 2077 on series S, how does the aiming feel on the controller? I'm playing cyberpunk on Xbox One and the aiming feels kind of wonky using the default settings.

Of course the visuals dont look the same. Cyberpunk doesnt run on ultra on consoles nor does it employ the vast array of ray traced features that PC has. Its ok on current gen consoles, but its about the last game you want compared against PC

Last edited:

Arioco

The video is titled as a "frame rate test" and you're summary does not mention frame rate once? Instead you wrote only about resolution. Why? What were the frame rate results?

Excuse me, are you blind or something? Don't you see where I left a link to the stats with the exact frame-rate metrics for anyone to see?

And please bear in mind my texts are only summaries, not exact transcriptions of 15-20 minute long videos, ok? If someone wants to know all the details they just have to click on play, that's why I provide the video too.

Mr Moose

They copied the info from the video, that's where summary comes from and gives a link to the results.

Click show more in the video link, the Google docs link posted above or watch the video.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I have the PS5 version and the 60 fps mode looks like shit compared to PC ultra. I didnt try the 30 fps mode too much.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Excuse me, are you blind or something? Don't you see where I left a link to the stats with the exact frame-rate metrics for anyone to see?

And please bear in mind my texts are only summaries, not exact transcriptions of 15-20 minute long videos, ok? If someone wants to know all the details they just have to click on play, that's why I provide the video too.
god-of-war-kratos.gif

I'm kidding your post was a great summary...

Hugare

Game looks great. It uses High/Ultra settings.

But it looks last gen compared to PC due to Ray Tracing. I consider RT to be essential for this game.

I finished it on my PS4 and PS5, but playing it on my PC with RT makes it look totaly different.

Enjoy the game for what it is on consoles, but be aware that when you play it on PC, you'll have a different experience entirely

Just finished the game recently on PS5. Very fun, haptics are great with gun and driving. Only issues is crashing sometimes. Just make sure to save each time before a mission.

svbarnard

Banned
I'm playing on Xbox One and of course I'm playing controller with the default settings, it is really hard to aim, like it feels very wonky to aim. I'm thinking about upgrading to a series S. Can't anyone here talk about the aiming on the controller?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

No, the difference is night and day. I actually had to play some of it on Series X yesterday as my PC is temporarily out of reach of my TV and damn boy, it's a last gen game in comparison.

Hugare

I'm playing on Xbox One and of course I'm playing controller with the default settings, it is really hard to aim, like it feels very wonky to aim. I'm thinking about upgrading to a series S. Can't anyone here talk about the aiming on the controller?
Oh boy, you are having the worst Cyberpunk experience possible

At low framerates this game is a mess in terms of gameplay. Aiming becomes impossible.

At a locked 30 fps its already not great, but playable enough. At sub 30 it's maddening

Series S would get you a locked 30 FPS with MUCH better visuals. It's a good experience.

60 FPS on next gen consoles would be ideal, but you would still have a great time on the S

Last edited:

intbal

I have it for One X. I only played a couple of hours before deciding to wait for a "definitive edition" (that will probably never come). Yes, I remember the aiming being very imprecise.

Top Bottom