• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Diablo 2 Resurrected PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Test

Allandor

horrible optimization, horrible port
yes. Blizzard titles were never highly optimized titles. Even Diablo 2 at release had high hardware requirements for that time and look of the game.
Really a shame that they didn't include the Glide-Version of their D2 renderer for the classic view. It looks much more awful than it would with the original code. I wonder why they did that.

Btw, I can't play Diablo 2 resurrected on my RTX 3070 at 120FPS (1440p) locked while watching netflix on my 2nd monitor. Went back to the rock solid 60 and the GPU is almost silent.

Last edited:
Who won?
Resolutions seems the same for the big boys.
And dropped frames are less than 1% recorded on both.
200.gif

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

manfestival

1440p
FAdENOvXIAk-RVP

2160p
FAdEStOXsAo4zxm
I am kinda surprised by the gap between the 6800/6900xt and the 3080 at 1440p. Considering how well AMD has done comparatively speaking for rasterization at 1440p. However, I know the point of this was to show how absolutely trash the optimization is for diablo 2 resurrected.

yamaci17

yes. Blizzard titles were never highly optimized titles. Even Diablo 2 at release had high hardware requirements for that time and look of the game.
Really a shame that they didn't include the Glide-Version of their D2 renderer for the classic view. It looks much more awful than it would with the original code. I wonder why they did that.

Btw, I can't play Diablo 2 resurrected on my RTX 3070 at 120FPS (1440p) locked while watching netflix on my 2nd monitor. Went back to the rock solid 60 and the GPU is almost silent.
well they have overwatch on consoles. that game runs on a rock solid smooth 60 frames without any stutters, hitches at a native 1080p with no drops in resolution on a... ps4. believe me, overwatch would never run that smooth and with that resolution on an equivalent PC

overwatch should and would be much more demanding than diablo 2 resurrected. yes it looks good, but its not a fully fledged 3d complex world with 12 player skirmishes alongside with tons of particles, effects of various weapons and abilities... lets see how good overwatch 2 will run on PCs and consoles. i bet it will only run on nextgen devices with dynamic 4k dropping to 1080p at 60 fps with similar visuals to overwatch 1 lmao

it is clear that they did a whack job here to hide behind dynamic resolution. i hope they can solve it out

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Anyone playing this on console is going to have a bad time anyway so who wins is irrelevant.

One of my favourite games of all time, but it does not translate to consoles well and really makes you appreciate Diablo 3 a lot more and how many QOL changes they made. Diablo 2 just doesn’t hold up in 2021.

Before playing it it was a day one buy for me on Xbox. After playing it it’s a deep discount buy on PC only.

Skifi28

1440p
FAdENOvXIAk-RVP

2160p
FAdEStOXsAo4zxm
Boy, is that not representative of the actual experience. When you run around fighting an enemy or two sure, but when there's an actual fight going on with tons of enemies and effects its not even half that. I was watching somebody with a 3080 and it was dropping to 80fps at 1440p.

Last edited:
Anyone playing this on console is going to have a bad time anyway so who wins is irrelevant.

One of my favourite games of all time, but it does not translate to consoles well and really makes you appreciate Diablo 3 a lot more and how many QOL changes they made. Diablo 2 just doesn’t hold up in 2021.

Before playing it it was a day one buy for me on Xbox. After playing it it’s a deep discount buy on PC only.
I can't agree with you there Socks. It clearly misses some of the quality of life features 3 had but I've been having a blast. It really does some things better than 3. The runeword stuff is quite nifty.

twilo99

I am kinda surprised by the gap between the 6800/6900xt and the 3080 at 1440p. Considering how well AMD has done comparatively speaking for rasterization at 1440p. However, I know the point of this was to show how absolutely trash the optimization is for diablo 2 resurrected.

Yes, the amd cards do very well at 1440p overall, this game is not the norm it seems.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I can't agree with you there Socks. It clearly misses some of the quality of life features 3 had but I've been having a blast. It really does some things better than 3. The runeword stuff is quite nifty.
did you play the original back in the day? It might be fine in the early stages, but when you get to higher levels and especially higher difficulties it will be horrible. Diablo 2 is a game that you need to play with the inventory open at higher levels and casting all of your spells in quick succession. On pc you can do that because the inventory is only half the screen, and the spells are cast by simply pressing the number button on the keyboard. On console it’s a full screen inventory and there’s no way to quickly cast multiple spells. Potion use is also going to be impossible on higher levels and difficulties on console.

I saw a great review of this the other day basically saying it’s a relic of the past and I agreed with every word. I’m glad they’ve re released it so it’s easier to play on pc, but it makes Diablo 3 even better playing 2 nowadays.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
did you play the original back in the day? It might be fine in the early stages, but when you get to higher levels and especially higher difficulties it will be horrible. Diablo 2 is a game that you need to play with the inventory open at higher levels and casting all of your spells in quick succession. On pc you can do that because the inventory is only half the screen, and the spells are cast by simply pressing the number button on the keyboard. On console it’s a full screen inventory and there’s no way to quickly cast multiple spells. Potion use is also going to be impossible on higher levels and difficulties on console.
On console you got hot keys and using the dpad for using belt slot items.

It might not cover every spell, but you got around 6-8 hotkeys for spells and perks and belts hold I think 4-12 items which for now in my 8 slot belt is all health potions.

MrFunSocks

Banned
On console you got hot keys and using the dpad for using belt slot items.

It might not cover every spell, but you got around 6-8 hotkeys for spells and perks and belts hold I think 4-12 items which for now in my 8 slot belt is all health potions.
I believe on the console you need to switch to the spell with the hot key and then press the cast button though, right? On pc it was simply press button to cast.

in regards to potions, good luck when you’ve used all 8 potions and are fighting Diablo. On pc again you just click to run somewhere and then using mouse just right clicked (iirc) on a potion in your inventory to use it. Can’t do that at all on console.

I saw a great review of this the other day basically saying it’s a relic of the past and I agreed with every word. I’m glad they’ve re released it so it’s easier to play on pc, but it makes Diablo 3 even better playing 2 nowadays.
Absolutely. Played the game back in early 2000s way too much. The atmosphere and music of 2 really sets the tone. I haven't had any real difficulties adjusting to the controller input. They made some thoughtful shortcuts to add mana potions to the belt or give one to the merc. I have my most used spells on the face buttons and right trigger. Left trigger spells are for things I only use occasionally. Town portal, shields, and battle shouts. It has a learning curve and it lacks the refinements of the newer game but it still holds up quite well. It just needs individual loot and an easy way to trade and it would be perfect. Oh and early stamina drain sucks. 😢

MrFunSocks

Banned
Absolutely. Played the game back in early 2000s way too much. The atmosphere and music of 2 really sets the tone. I haven't had any real difficulties adjusting to the controller input. They made some thoughtful shortcuts to add mana potions to the belt or give one to the merc. I have my most used spells on the face buttons and right trigger. Left trigger spells are for things I only use occasionally. Town portal, shields, and battle shouts. It has a learning curve and it lacks the refinements of the newer game but it still holds up quite well. It just needs individual loot and an easy way to trade and it would be perfect. Oh and early stamina drain sucks. 😢
I'm glad that you can enjoy it, but it's absolutely not for me. I'll buy it on PC and play it here and there, but having played it again after 10+ years really makes me appreciate diablo 3 even more, which is hilarious because of all the flak Diablo 3 copped for not just being a copy of diablo 2 but with fancy graphics. I'll admit I was one of the people that was unhappy with some of the "console-izations" that they made at the time, but came to really appreciate them even on PC. I "beat" diablo 3 on PC and XB1 multiple times.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

you should give diablo 3 on switch a try

Seems OK to me, apart from the Series S version. The Switch version too looks blurry as hell but at least all consoles have a pretty steady frame rate.

There really should be an option in all versions of the game to not only run one version of the game rather than running both in unison. I'm going to guess though that it was never their goal and to achieve that now could require a pretty hefty working, hopefully I'm wrong though and it is added at some point.

I believe on the console you need to switch to the spell with the hot key and then press the cast button though, right? On pc it was simply press button to cast.

in regards to potions, good luck when you’ve used all 8 potions and are fighting Diablo. On pc again you just click to run somewhere and then using mouse just right clicked (iirc) on a potion in your inventory to use it. Can’t do that at all on console.
You can use a potion on console by hovering over the pot and holding the A button down. It's pretty quick. I've always seen little after images of potions on your belt even if it isn't in the belt. It's not so bad.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You can use a potion on console by hovering over the pot and holding the A button down. It's pretty quick. I've always seen little after images of potions on your belt even if it isn't in the belt. It's not so bad.
The problem is that getting to the potion is a lot more tedious and time consuming on consoles vs PC. The main problem is not being able to control your players movement and attacks and the inventory at the same time like you can on PC.

Last edited:

Allandor

you should give diablo 3 on switch a try
Diablo 3 is old already (from 2012). Switch should not really have a problem to run it ;)
It was also released on xbox 360 and PS3, so well optimized ... not really.

Last edited:

Moonjt9

I’m having a blast on ps5, but yeah there’s no reason this shouldn’t be 4k/60 locked. Poor showing by the devs.

Macattk15

The game is really difficult to run properly even on PC, much more than it has any right to be anyway. These results are not surprising.

Is that why my 3080 sounds like it's gonna take off? Sheesh. Didn't think a top down game would push it like it does.

Md Ray

Is that why my 3080 sounds like it's gonna take off? Sheesh. Didn't think a top down game would push it like it does.
It makes sense. Kinda reminds me of the statement Mark Cerny made: "It's counterintuitive but processing dense geometry typically consumes less power than processing simple geometry". The higher the power consumption, the more heat it will generate therefore louder fan noise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom