• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Elden Ring PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Arioco

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2688x1512.

Pixel counts at 3840x2160 are very rare on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode.

PS5 in Frame Rate Mode seems to have a resolution advantage over the Xbox Series X. As an example, during the opening scene of the game the PS5 renders at approximately 3093x1740 and the Xbox Series X renders at 2880x1620. However, there are scenes in the game where both PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a resolution of 2688x1512 such as scenes with a lot of vegetation on screen.

Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1792x1008. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 are very rare on Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode and pixel counts at 1792x1008 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode.

The only resolution found on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode.

PS5 running the PS4 Pro version of the game renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 and appears to use a form of checkerboard rendering to reach this resolution.

All three consoles appear to dynamically change shadow quality in Prioritize Quality Mode. An example of this can be seen here on Xbox Series X https://youtu.be/akvmW0NIvKo Redced shadow quality was noticed more often on Xbox Series X than PS5
https://bit.ly/3pq39vF Shadow quality in both modes is also lower quality on Series S than the other two consoles.

Motion blur appears to dynamically turn on and off on all three consoles in Frame Rate Mode. An example of this can be seen here on PS5 https://youtu.be/uOMEFyuKZU4 Motion Blur seems to be disabled less often on PS5 than the Xbox Series consoles. In rare cases the motion blur can also turn off on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1WSNzC-xVP695JnKYssic6fBHPWwIRKv2f_18WDF5Tkc/htmlview

Last edited:

Venom Snake

Gold Member
In the opening scene PS5 has 15% more pixels and 20% higher frame rate than Series X.

what the hell?
fcdae9.jpg

Lysandros

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode use a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 2688x1512.

Pixel counts at 3840x2160 are very rare on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Frame Rate Mode.

PS5 in Frame Rate Mode seems to have a resolution advantage over the Xbox Series X. As an example, during the opening scene of the game the PS5 renders at approximately 3093x1740 and the Xbox Series X renders at 2880x1620. However, there are scenes in the game where both PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a resolution of 2688x1512 such as scenes with a lot of vegetation on screen.

Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1792x1008. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 are very rare on Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode and pixel counts at 1792x1008 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Frame Rate Mode.

The only resolution found on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.

Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode.

PS5 running the PS4 Pro version of the game renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 and appears to use a form of checkerboard rendering to reach this resolution.

All three consoles appear to dynamically change shadow quality in Prioritize Quality Mode. An example of this can be seen here on Xbox Series X https://youtu.be/akvmW0NIvKo Redced shadow quality was noticed more often on Xbox Series X than PS5
https://bit.ly/3pq39vF Shadow quality in both modes is also lower quality on Series S than the other two consoles.

Motion blur appears to dynamically turn on and off on all three consoles in Frame Rate Mode. An example of this can be seen here on PS5 https://youtu.be/uOMEFyuKZU4 Motion Blur seems to be disabled less often on PS5 than the Xbox Series consoles. In rare cases the motion blur can also turn off on Xbox Series S in Quality Mode.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1WSNzC-xVP695JnKYssic6fBHPWwIRKv2f_18WDF5Tkc/htmlview

Very useful informations about the motion blur and shadow differences across the versions.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Seeing PS4 version on PS5 with BC at a stable 60 fps from DF's video, I kind of regret getting the PC version

Don't get me wrong, the visual on PC is nice, but I can't stand the Stutter-Ring (even with a 6800 XT)

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The good news at least there doesn't seem to be any screen tearing on consoles which is a good thing.Other than that it's pretty meh on performances, can anybody tell me on what engine it is running ?

VG Tech

Neo Member
In the opening scene PS5 has 15% more pixels and 20% higher frame rate than Series X.

what the hell?
PS5 and Series X both render at 1512p during the opening clip in the video. The opening scene of the game is a different area which can be seen here and during the opening scene of the game PS5 and Series X both run at just under 60fps.

Sorry for the confusion. I've updated the description to hopefully clarify this.

assurdum

Banned
PS5 and Series X both render at 1512p during the opening clip in the video. The opening scene of the game is a different area which can be seen here and during the opening scene of the game PS5 and Series X both run at just under 60fps.

Sorry for the confusion. I've updated the description to hopefully clarify this.
So not exist higher resolution on ps5?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

what the hell?
Phyre engine, which I presume is still used, was/is created by Sony. Which makes pretty much all games which are based on this engine run better on PS HW. Which also contains EGO engine, which is based on that.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

what the hell?

this has never been seen before and just shows how bad the ports are in general. The Xbox version has not been shown much love from software, there is absolutely nowworld where it makes sense that the series x should have both a lower resolution and framerate.
plus the slower loading shows how bad this game is technically.

I still bought it on all three platforms and I think it’s one of the best games ever made lol.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
this has never been seen before and just shows how bad the ports are in general. The Xbox version has not been shown much love from software, there is absolutely nowworld where it makes sense that the series x should have both a lower resolution and framerate.
plus the slower loading shows how bad this game is technically.

I still bought it on all three platforms and I think it’s one of the best games ever made lol.
Not true at all eh.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Phyre engine, which I presume is still used, was/is created by Sony. Which makes pretty much all games which are based on this engine run better on PS HW. Which also contains EGO engine, which is based on that.
Are you sure it is the Phyre engine ?Because I can't find it on their wikipedia page.You seem pretty informed so might be a bit more up to code thank wiki since they say that the last game using Phyre came out in like 2018.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

You just took away so many people's biggest talking point. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

M1chl

Are you sure it is the Phyre engine ?Because I can't find it on their wikipedia page.You seem pretty informed so might be a bit more up to code thank wiki since they say that the last game using Phyre came out in like 2018.
I presume, that it's based on the same engine as DS3 (since the moving to another engine would be quite costly), DS3 also run better on PS. Maybe it has some fancier name now, but it's 100% based on this codebase.

Also this is not a fault by anyone, it's just a situation, I am trying to steer shit.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I presume, that it's based on the same engine as DS3 (since the moving to another engine would be quite costly), DS3 also run better on PS. Maybe it has some fancier name now, but it's 100% based on this codebase.

Also this is not a fault by anyone, it's just a situation, I am trying to steer shit.
Oh I wasn't insinuating anything, I was just curious about which engine was used I even posted about it earlier in the thread.Because it barely feel like the engine got upgraded since DS1 and was wondering if it was about time to change it(either by a new iteration or by just picking another).
But yeah I haven't seen Dark souls mentionned in the Phyre wiki (but it was the french version and may have not been up to date ... at all).
Maybe Phyre offer them a great artistic liberty but technically it seems ancient.

M1chl

Oh I wasn't insinuating anything, I was just curious about which engine was used I even posted about it earlier in the thread.Because it barely feel like the engine got upgraded since DS1 and was wondering if it was about time to change it(either by a new iteration or by just picking another).
But yeah I haven't seen Dark souls mentionned in the Phyre wiki (but it was the french version and may have not been up to date ... at all).
Maybe Phyre offer them a great artistic liberty but technically it seems ancient.
Maybe it's ancient but it has a very good physics support in sense, that you can do, in editor, animation which respect inertia and stuff like that. It was done back then to show power of SPE of Cell. Maybe one of the reason, why Codemasters based their EGO engine on that. The physics is done by Havok, however the engine have it incorporated on very fundamental level. I saw it myself, due to like 3 devs who was working previously with Codemasters were also in Warhorse and not that I understand anything about animation, but I was told "it's hard to do something like this, within the engine editor, anywhere else". Probably at this point even Unreal can do such things (presumably), however moving devs to another engine is always painful process, so all in all I think it's Phyre or at very least some fork of that engine. With improved graphics renderer.

Yeah but the dynamic nature of DRS means it can vary frame to frame on every console.

Not a blanket "15% higher" like the first post and most replies are going to focus on.

Digital Foundry said something similar to be honest. I'm sure they try their best to compare similar scenes and while it isn't perfect it can give us an idea of the DRS advantage that each platform has with the game. Like with other titles when a system pulls ahead most of the time they do mention it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Maybe it's ancient but it has a very good physics support in sense, that you can do, in editor, animation which respect inertia and stuff like that. It was done back then to show power of SPE of Cell. Maybe one of the reason, why Codemasters based their EGO engine on that. The physics is done by Havok, however the engine have it incorporated on very fundamental level. I saw it myself, due to like 3 devs who was working previously with Codemasters were also in Warhorse and not that I understand anything about animation, but I was told "it's hard to do something like this, within the engine editor, anywhere else". Probably at this point even Unreal can do such things (presumably), however moving devs to another engine is always painful process, so all in all I think it's Phyre or at very least some fork of that engine. With improved graphics renderer.
Thank you you brought very interesting insight.I figured that changing engine would be a pain in the ass but I wondered if the pros outweighted the cons...Based on your response not so much apparently.So thanks again.

Cherrypepsi

Oh, good. Thought you were talking about the opening scene of the video.
thanks for clarifying, and welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The good news at least there doesn't seem to be any screen tearing on consoles which is a good thing.Other than that it's pretty meh on performances, can anybody tell me on what engine it is running ?
They are VSynced.
Look at the frametimes… there is no weird framerate outside the mean… it is what VSync does… it is 16.67, 33.33, 50, etc ms.

Arioco

don't underestimate a japanese dev completely botching an Xbox port lol

To be fair From is yet to release a well optimized game on any platform. I honestly don't know what's wrong with those guys, but their games always have terrible performance and are a stuttery mess for one reason or another. And what's even worse: they never bother to fix it. 7 years later Bloodborne continues to suffer severe frame pacing issues. I could forgive the dropped frames in heavy scenes and the shitty IQ because the art direction is so good, but the uneven frame pacing is a real pain in the ass I just can't put up with.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It was started by a miss understanding that the video creator said needed to be clarified. One in which you took offense to and began your "defense".

Reiterating what the video author said shouldn't be offending or defending in any way, I'm sorry you feel that way.

It started as Phyre engine, from the PS3 times, can't be considered a Sony's engine anymore after all these years and modifications by From.

Banned
To be fair From is yet to release a well optimized game on any platform. I honestly don't know what's wrong with those guys, but their games always have terrible performance and are a stuttery mess for one reason or another. And what's even worse: they never bother to fix it. 7 years later Bloodborne continues to suffer severe frame pacing issues. I could forgive the dropped frames in heavy scenes and the shitty IQ because the art direction is so good, but the uneven frame pacing is a real pain in the ass I just can't put up with.

they have an engine their team is versed in and that makes it easy for them to release relatively content rich and well deigned games at a decent budget.

I think that's the issue really. they don't want to change engines because they have one that works for them even tho it has obvious issues.

but that's most devs these days. look how Bethesda refuses to use a new engine, resulting is absolutely dogshit games like Fallout 76, which was clearly not even remotely a type game that the engine they used was able to support... but hey forced that online only, shared world game design into that engine anyways.

with FromSoftware it's similar, but not quite tbh. Bloodborne for example pushes the hardware a lot, and the only real issue their tech had in that game was that uneven framepacing, which is kinda ridiculous that it hasn't been fixed tbh, but given the density of geometry and detail in that game, paired with a temporal stability due to barely any noticable pop-in, I'd say it is absolutely not a bad showing for a PS4 title.

with Elden Ring they have more issues because that open world design is a bit much for that engine I think.

M1chl

It started as Phyre engine, from the PS3 times, can't be considered a Sony's engine anymore after all these years and modifications by From.
We don't know which modifications are those, even looking at the screens video, it's clear, that there wasn't some major improvement over DS3 for example.

Arioco

Oh My! The game goes all the way down to 810p and 630p on PS4 and One S. 😂 And performance is still very poor and inconsistent. No doubt the game is pushing those old machines really hard.

On the other hand I'm surprised that it's reconstructed 1512p-1800p on PS4 Pro and native 1512p-2160p on One X, which means that in worst case scenario One X is pushing more than twice the number of native pixels of Pro version. The difference is way bigger than what you would expect from the expects of each machine. And still some people complained about the lack of optimization on Xbox consoles! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

what the hell?

Edit: Thanks V VG Tech for clarifying.
both render at 1512p during the opening clip in the video

Not to mention reduced shadow quality and that motion blur seems to be disabled more on XSX. Does VRR fix these?

Legends say that VRR fixes everything: even broken souls and lost friendships. /s

Congratulations, you get a slightly better looking and performing turd (turd performance wise, not the games quality)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Oh My! The game goes all the way down to 810p and 630p on PS4 and One S. 😂 And performance is still very poor and inconsistent. No doubt the game is pushing those old machines really hard.

On the other hand I'm surprised that it's reconstructed 1512p-1800p on PS4 Pro and native 1512p-2160p on One X, which means that in worst case scenario One X is pushing more than twice the number of native pixels of Pro version. The difference is way bigger than what you would expect from the expects of each machine. And still some people complained about the lack of optimization on Xbox consoles! 🤷‍♂️

The xbox one x has a considerable power advantage over the pro, one being the 12gb of ram at a much higher speed with helps with resolution considerably. Ps4 Pro gimped itself with the 8gb ram pool and for some reason a lot of devs just resort to reconstruction on that box to make life easier.

I wouldn't say this evidence proves anything about how the series x version is clearly not developed as well. Let's see where the game sits after patches, if from actually sort the mess out across all platforms.

Top Bottom