• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Elden Ring PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The sad thing is it might never be fixed :messenger_crying:
Why 1512p? Why not a 1440 floor? :messenger_weary:
Indeed. More work is needed, a more agressive DRS would likely solve the fps issues. The frame pacing issues is a engine issue, its plagued every from software game.

Arioco

The xbox one x has a considerable power advantage over the pro, one being the 12gb of ram at a much higher speed with helps with resolution considerably. Ps4 Pro gimped itself with the 8gb ram pool and for some reason a lot of devs just resort to reconstruction on that box to make life easier.

I wouldn't say this evidence proves anything about how the series x version is clearly not developed as well. Let's see where the game sits after patches, if from actually sort the mess out across all platforms.

But One X doesn't have twice as many Tflops, nor does it have twice the bandwidth. I mean, One X is clearly a beast and all, but that kind of difference is bigger than we've usually seen between those consoles even in the worst case for Pro. Can you even think of a game that shows a bigger delta than this one? Not a single one comes to my mind, to be honest. I mean, a 40ish% difference in Tflops is translating into 110-120% difference in mumber of pixels. I know some games whose rez is actually 2x on One X, but even more than that? Nope, not even previous FromSostware games. Sekiro was native 1800p on One X and reconstructed 1800p on Pro, and as a result of that huge difference in the number of pixels the game actually performed better on Pro, but the difference is bigger this time around: the difference in number of pixels is even bigger and to top it all the game performs slightly better on One X than Pro. 🤷‍♂️

Lysandros

But One X doesn't have twice as many Tflops, nor does it have twice the bandwidth. I mean, One X is clearly a beast and all, but that kind of difference is bigger than we've usually seen between those consoles even in the worst case for Pro. Can you even think of a game that shows a bigger delta than this one? Not a single one comes to my mind, to be honest. I mean, a 40ish% difference in Tflops is translating into 110-120% difference in mumber of pixels. I know some games whose rez is actually 2x on One X, but even more than that? Nope, not even previous FromSostware games. Sekiro was native 1800p on One X and reconstructed 1800p on Pro, and as a result of that huge difference in the number of pixels the game actually performed better on Pro, but the difference is bigger this time around: the difference in number of pixels is even bigger and to top it all the game performs slightly better on One X than Pro. 🤷‍♂️
Where is the quite expensive processing cost of CB reconstruction in that picture?

Arioco

Where is the quite expensive processing cost of CB reconstruction in that picture?

I know that CB is expensive, but if we factor in that computational cost in this game we have to do the same in other games that run at native resolution on One X and the same resolution but using CB on PS4 Pro. And if we do that delta between those machines is still bigger in Elden Ring than Sekiro for example, which was my main point. People complained about the lack of optimization on Xbox consoles abs it turns out that the difference between One X and Pro is bigger than it was in previous games.

And I still can't think of a single game that shows a bigger delta than this, to be honest. If you guys know one please let me known.

DJ12

PlayStation never gets love from Japanese developers.

Such poor performance on the pro.

Maybe Sony have tools coming

Oh My! The game goes all the way down to 810p and 630p on PS4 and One S. 😂 And performance is still very poor and inconsistent. No doubt the game is pushing those old machines really hard.

On the other hand I'm surprised that it's reconstructed 1512p-1800p on PS4 Pro and native 1512p-2160p on One X, which means that in worst case scenario One X is pushing more than twice the number of native pixels of Pro version. The difference is way bigger than what you would expect from the expects of each machine. And still some people complained about the lack of optimization on Xbox consoles! 🤷‍♂️

I think when the power difference is big your definitely going to see big differences between the two and it will always favor the vastly more powerful system. But when they are small with each system having their own strengths it can go either way.

However I don’t believe the game is optimized well on any platform. It certainly needed more time in the oven.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

There were a few instances where one x showed over rwive the pixel count than ps4 Pro which didn't make sense. There must have been some bottle neck in the ps4 Pro design somewhere. Red dead 2 for example.

Leyasu

Banned
Oh My! The game goes all the way down to 810p and 630p on PS4 and One S. 😂 And performance is still very poor and inconsistent. No doubt the game is pushing those old machines really hard.

On the other hand I'm surprised that it's reconstructed 1512p-1800p on PS4 Pro and native 1512p-2160p on One X, which means that in worst case scenario One X is pushing more than twice the number of native pixels of Pro version. The difference is way bigger than what you would expect from the expects of each machine. And still some people complained about the lack of optimization on Xbox consoles! 🤷‍♂️
Perhaps experience and dev environment ease helped them get the most out of the pro and one x?

The game is so inconsistent everywhere. I was going to buy this. But as I don’t think that they will patch this up, I will save my money.

Last edited:
There were a few instances where one x showed over rwive the pixel count than ps4 Pro which didn't make sense. There must have been some bottle neck in the ps4 Pro design somewhere. Red dead 2 for example.
Because the overall strength of a system is made by several elements (tflops, bandwidth, caches, latencies etc.) and not only tflops. X1X was a beast in all those things.

Arioco

Perhaps experience and dev environment ease helped them get the most out of the pro and one x?

The game is so inconsistent everywhere. I was going to buy this. But as I don’t think that they will patch this up, I will save my money.

Oh, no, believe me, it won't be patched. That's not From Software's style. xD

From games have always been like this, unfortunately. Terrible performance that never gets fixed. I guess that would require more than a simple patch, it's clear by now that the issue is in the engine itself and would need more engineering effort than a patch.

I actually don't mind since I'm not really into From games, but if you do like them just don't let the performance put you off. The critic says this y probably the best game that From has ever delivered so far, so... well, those horrible frame pacing issues are something those who like the game will have to put up with, I guess. Not ideal, I know, but maybe not a deal breaker either for someone who really likes this type of games. I think it depends, some will find the stuttering very annoying and some won't even mind. Bloodborne was a stuttering mess too (and the IQ leaves a lot to be desires, there's a ton of jaggies and pixel crawling everywhere) and it's still consider a master piece, so... 🤷‍♂️ At least IQ has improved significantly with the use of TAA.

SSfox

Cerny nailed it once again

bTACAUM.gif

I know who is and what he is capable of. But his input has nothing to do with the how this game runs on any system, PC incuded. I shouldn't have to write this.

I mean it could be running a lot worse due to the hardware. But I know the game isn’t optimized well on any platform.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He doesn't. He makes hardware that even From developers can get their games running well on it.

"Running Well" and Elden Ring don't gel in the same sentence unless you're talking about the PS4 version on PS5. :messenger_relieved:

Running a higher resolution which causes worse performance on the much stronger machine is not optimization at all lol, if anything it further proves lack of optimization.

Were it optimized it would be running the same average performance, or better, than the much weaker PS4 Pro.

Moar pixels =/= Moar optimization.

Last edited:

Arioco

Running a higher resolution which causes worse performance on the much stronger machine is not optimization at all lol, if anything it further proves lack of optimization.

That really depends on how much stronger one hardware is than the other and how large the differences in resolution and performance are.

In this case One X, which is around 40% more powerful in Tflops than Pro, is running Elden Ring at more than twice the resolution while maintaining a better frame rate overall. If anything the poorly optimized version would be PS4 Pro, if you ask me. I can't even imagine how that facts could further prove lack of optimization on One X, to be honest.

adamsapple

That really depends on how much stronger one hardware is than the other and how large the differences in resolution and performance are.

In this case One X, which is around 40% more powerful in Tflops than Pro, is running Elden Ring at more than twice the resolution while maintaining a better frame rate overall. If anything the poorly optimized version would be PS4 Pro, if you ask me. I can't even imagine how that facts could further prove lack of optimization on One X, to be honest.
1X is not maintaining a higher average frame rate, going by the Vgtech analysis the average is a little bit lower, instead they just increase their pixel count, a properly optimized version would have either an aggressive DRS solution or do you want X version also running reconstruction so it can benefit on the performance end.

And that's not even going into how the 1X version takes 41 seconds to load something that loads in 17 seconds on the ps4, it does not use any higher quality assets, only higher rendering resolution, everything else is exactly the same.

Optimization in my eyes is not just running the higher resolution it's utilizing the hardware properly to provide the best performing experience.

But maybe I'm being too critical, none of the versions of the game perform well on their native hardware.

Last edited:

This highlights how badly the XSX runs this game. It's running the game usually at the same native resolution (1512p) than X1X and performs like only 50% better with a few more details. All those tflops gone to waste.

While PS5 is actually performing quite well compared to both Pro and XSX.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don’t know what all the fuss is about tbh. I’m playing ER on quality mode on ps5 and it runs fine - I’ve not once thought about the fps whilst playing the game. I’m too busy thinking ‘why the fuck did I start this game as a wretch!?’

If you can play this in Quality mode and enjoy it, you will be able to enjoy any gaming experience ever my friend.

Jeez, they really gotta sort out that optimization. Thank the heavens for VRR on Xbox, but no way performance should be like that on Series X. Will soon begin playing it on Series X soon, but still mostly focused on Cyberpunk 2077 for now.

Arioco

Optimization in my eyes is not just running the higher resolution it's utilizing the hardware properly to provide the best performing experience.

But maybe I'm being too critical, none of the versions of the game perform well on their native hardware.

Honestly, that would be asking too much from FromSoftware. I mean, if we go by that definition they would have to develop a version of the game exclusively for each hardware, and this time they had to develop for One X, PS4, PS4 Pro, One X, PS5, Series S, Series X and PC. 😂 NINE versions!

And as you know From games don't perform well enough even if they are exclusive to one hardware the could take full advantage of. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne unfortunately proved that. 🙄

Honestly, that would be asking too much from FromSoftware. I mean, if we go by that definition they would have to develop a version of the game exclusively for each hardware, and this time they had to develop for One X, PS4, PS4 Pro, One X, PS5, Series S, Series X and PC. 😂 NINE versions!

And as you know From games don't perform well enough even if they are exclusive to one hardware the could take full advantage of. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne unfortunately proved that. 🙄

Funny how someone else made a great running souls game. I guess it shows how poor From are with tech. Doesn’t mean the games are bad it’s just that performance could be much better. Something which the Demon Souls remake proves.

Legends say that VRR fixes everything: even broken souls and lost friendships. /s
VRS tier 2 would definitely fix the performance issues on series consoles, I would not be surprised if the series s was able to match the ps5 if from did what they should have done in the first place.

VRR fixed the feels of studder, but you need a TV which supports the feature, still amazing.

Arioco

Funny how someone else made a great running souls game. I guess it shows how poor From are with tech. Doesn’t mean the games are bad it’s just that performance could be much better. Something which the Demon Souls remake proves.

Exactly, Demon's Souls Remake is the first Souls that performs as one would expect. And only because it wasn't developed by From. 😂

Arioco

Elden Ring remake on PS7 will be the fucking bomb.

And if we don't get a remake it will probably run pretty well on next gen hardware. The only positive thing I can say about leaving the frame rate unlocked is that at least the game can run at 60 fps in future consoles without any specific patch. Look at the bright side, guys. 😂

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So not exist higher resolution on ps5?

Look, we all know you have no idea what you're talking about in any subject after your hilarious 'all games can be 60fps on bravia' thread but just to further confirm it, do you actually believe that Elden Rings performance is purely because secret cerny sauce and that the PS5 is actually superior instead of ER simply being poorly optimised?

Banned
VRS tier 2 would definitely fix the performance issues on series consoles, I would not be surprised if the series s was able to match the ps5 if from did what they should have done in the first place.

VRR fixed the feels of studder, but you need a TV which supports the feature, still amazing.

yeah, but FromSoftware using VRS? ha, that would be the weirdest thing ever considering them not really using any advanced tech in their engine whatsoever.

the most modern tech they use is dynamic resolution scaling 🤣

Last edited:

Lysandros

You might want to take a look at this.

Stats:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1ZvDUvoqRyhfFLegWDcEWnf5XGslHyFYPwlKMxvvDpys/htmlview#

Last edited:
Top Bottom