• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vgtech: Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Vognerful

So PS5 very minutely outperforms XSX, but is slightly slower in loading or equal.

Bob Odenkirk GIF by The Office

Swift_Star

Banned
Since hen we started caring about 99th percentile as pinnacle of comparison?
I’m here just to watch people fight over silly stuff. Warriors need something to fight over when both machines are essentially the same. I’m more interested in games than in performance tbh.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I’m not sure what people are up here.
The framerate results are the same as Forza games that are called locked 60fps.

There is basically no issue in the framerate with 99.8x% 60fps… it doesn’t even need VRR.

Game performance should be like that.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I’m not sure what people are up here.
The framerate results are the same as Forza games that are called locked 60fps.

There is basically no issue in the framerate with 99.8x% 60fps… it doesn’t even need VRR.
Oh, you know exactly why they’re doing what they’re doing… and we know who those people are.

ethomaz

Banned
I did the math.

We are looking at a period of 3 seconds only of the whole gameplay duration.
36 frames in a 60fps game is near half a second if the drop happened constantly but it doesn’t so it is 16.66ms when it happens.

It is imperceptible.

Last edited:
Seems worse on Series consoles

Mean frame rates:
PS5: 59.89fps
Series X: 59.68fps
Series S: 57.91fps

1st Percentile Frame Rate
PS5: 54fps
Series X: 45fps
Series S: 38fps

Plus Performance RT
MEAN:
PS5: 59.79fps
Series X: 59.38fps

MINIMUM:
PS5: 49fps
Series X: 40fps

1st PERCENTILE:
PS5: 51fps
Series X: 42fps

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
And? that is more insignificant?
Yes it is basically imperceptible.

If it was constant like the 36 frames happened in sequence you could even notice I guess… one time in the whole 5.5 minutes of the states.

But sparse it is imperceptible… you won’t realize a single drop that happened in a interval of less than 20ms.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In an ideal case no game should NEED to.

I swear there's a strange sense of vitriol against VRR, as a feature, here and its puzzling lol.
I agree.
Fixed hardware games should be optimized to not need VRR (a lot of game does that).

Now in a platform like PC where you have millions of hardware combinations (the optimization is not specific like a fixed hardware) and user can change basically anything in the render pipeline VRR is a tool that helps gamers have a easy way to deal with settings.

I mean you choose the settings you want and even if the framerate is not constant you can use VRR instead to have to continue testing tuning settings to reach a locked framerate.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
In an ideal case no game should NEED to.

I swear there's a strange sense of vitriol against VRR, as a feature, here and its puzzling lol.

It's odd, they seem to be reluctant to talk about the extra modes it gives with up twice the performance in some games, I wonder why.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
As far as the results...its stress tests that some are talking about.

Stress tests were an interesting result in other analysis over the last few years too. Was interesting in CP2077. I think some photo modes for other games too.

Or are we gonna start dismissing stress tests now too....

Xbox clearly winning here it seems.

In the game it appears everything's equal, so everybody wins.

By "here", I mean on Gaf. Where only fans of one console are looking like clowns, acting as if the PS5 hands down won the comparison.
I mean....I can agree they are damn near identical....but c'mon....

Riky

$MSFT
Digital Foundry found drops in the 30fps mode,

"During missions, I saw just one drop: yes, Mr Philips strikes back, this time causing a drop to 20fps on PlayStation 5, where the impact on Series X was much less pronounced at 27fps."

ethomaz

Banned
As far as the results...its stress tests that some are talking about.

Stress tests were an interesting result in other analysis over the last few years too. Was interesting in CP2077. I think some photo modes for other games too.

Or are we gonna start dismissing stress tests now too....
Depend of the stress test.
Is the stress test is archivable via normal gameplay or so you need to setup a forced situation?

The first type is fine but the second is useless imo… maybe only interesting in a scientific way to see how the engine handles.

For example a forced case is to put several bombs around you and explode them at same time… there is basically no normal gameplay vale in that.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Explosions in GTA is not a "stress test". That is one of the fun things I do in GTA, block traffic and cause a cascading explosion. That is like saying causing an explosion in Just Cause is a stress test. It is a normal gameplay thing outside doing the story missions.

Lysandros

I find the real interesting part to be the FPS difference in performance RT mode being greater in favor of PS5 compared to perf. mode without RT. This is hardly the first time but i think it says a little something about actual RT throughputs of these machines across the games.

Bought this game last night for PS5 - $10. Funny thing is that I owned this game for Xbox 360, ps3, One , ps4, and PC and still have yet to put more than 2 hours on it. Will try a full play through this time, I love GTA4’s story

Lysandros

In 30fps yes… just one.

They found more in 60fps mode and 60fps RT mode but says it is 99% of time without drops.

Basically the same results as VGTech… the difference VGTech shows the raw stats while DF describe how the drop happened.
After watching Tom's analysis, based on his narration i got the impression that his version of GTA 5 happens to be running slightly better on XSX, he even suggested DRS uniquely for PS5's 30 FPS mode. Good old Tom, always my favorite.

ethomaz

Banned
After watching Tom's analysis, based on his narration i got the impression that his version of GTA 5 happens to be running slightly better on XSX, he even suggested DRS uniquely for PS5's 30 FPS mode. Good old Tom, always my favorite.
In the article he posted drop scenes for both.

So he basically couldn’t find anything. That’s good news to be honest.

sinnergy

Series x loads faster ? Must be loading on the CPU, as these are faster in series X. Old ass engine .. probably no hardware decompression blocks used..

Last edited:
Denying real world results and repeatedly is the definition of insanity
What are you on about? So when the Series X outperforms the PS5 (as it has many times) what do you say then? Those who think PS5 is more powerful because old graphics engines are performing slightly better are in for a shock when additional parallelization starts being used more extensively going forward.

What are you on about? So when the Series X outperforms the PS5 (as it has many times) what do you say then? Those who think PS5 is more powerful because old graphics engines are performing slightly better are in for a shock when additional parallelization starts being used more extensively going forward.

Close enough that they will trade blows in comparisons. It’s not like it’s a repeat of last gen systems. People have to keep that in mind.

Top Bottom