• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vgtech: Grand Theft Auto 5 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

Arioco

I wonder if Sony could offer a default software model of VRS ready to be implemented in the engines without significant effort in their GDK.

I think that's exactly what they're going for. It wouldn't make much sense if each dev had to create its own VRS implementation from the ground up. I think they'll offer their solution to every dev like they did with checkerboard rendering and then it's up to the devs whether they want to make use of it or don't make use of it (or even create their own solution if it better suits their needs). But who knows...

sendit

Seems worse on Series consoles

Mean frame rates:
PS5: 59.89fps
Series X: 59.68fps
Series S: 57.91fps

1st Percentile Frame Rate
PS5: 54fps
Series X: 45fps
Series S: 38fps

Celebrate The Last Of Us GIF by Naughty Dog

John Wick

The insinuation was that the devs gimped the PS5 version on purpose so that it's "best on Xbox". Them going out of their way to implement haptic feedback and adaptive triggers is evidence to the opposite. They also explicitly said they wanted to implement VRS2 on all consoles.
Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are part of the PS5 SDK. All PS5 devs have access to this automatically. Where as VRS2 would require a certain amount of work.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers are part of the PS5 SDK. All PS5 devs have access to this automatically. Where as VRS2 would require a certain amount of work.

PS5 doesn't support VRS2 on a hardware level but developers can work around it via software methods to achieve same or similar-ish results as needed.

As for why the PC version doesn't support VRS who can say. Even Halo: Infinite doesn't support VRS on PC, DF would like it to but for whatever reason it doesn't. Maybe the developers don't feel the same need to claw back performance like they do on consoles, on PC.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

Seems alot closer than i was led to believe by the other video. Practically identical. I personally noticed some minor shadow differences but i cant technically tell you which one is better, so at that point does it matter?

Question to you VRR folk, do you give up anything for VRR or is it free? I ask because with a framerate of 99.82% locked at 60, is it really necessary?
It depends on the TV. VRR looks great on my LG C1 but looked terrible on my x900h.

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers still require work, see Elden Ring. VRS2 is not possible on PS5, they'd have to build a software solution but that'd likely be a shitload of work.

sendit

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers still require work, see Elden Ring. VRS2 is not possible on PS5, they'd have to build a software solution but that'd likely be a shitload of work.
...Using any API requires work. It isn't plug and play. The point is, which I think you're missing. Is the availability of the feature. No amount of software work can replicate what the Dual sense provides.

For example, this new Xbox controller isn't something you can replicate at the software level:

xAktt1s.jpg

Last edited:

John Wick

They will downplay anything their console doesn't have, you only have to see how tragic the software VRS is on Metro and how performance is all over the place on Black Ops to see it doesn't hold a candle to Tier 2 VRS on Doom Eternal and Gears 5.
Even id said so and DF too in their comparison, we've been through this many times.
Yes your right but let me know when VRS2 helps the SS?
Your 12 months have long passed

5SJUIk4.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom