• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGTech] Halo Infinite Series X|S & Xbox One X|S Frame Rate Test (Tech Preview)

sendit

I didn't expect this to be hard to follow, but let me lay it out: Team Sony being (falsely) concerned about the XSS holding back next gen makes zero sense in a Halo Infinite thread (and also makes zero sense otherwise, but that's a different topic). Halo Infinite is an Xbox exclusive.
Light Up Skirt GIF

It doesn't look bad at all but let's not pretend it's a graphics powerhouse. It's a technical preview and it needs to be treated as that but it had some really visible problems: asset and texture streaming and foliage pop-in mostly.

For MP in a Halo game it's a graphics powerhouse. I don't even take anything serious that tries to seriously argue that fact because I never expected MP in Halo to look this good this soon.

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you have any evidence of this especially in a Halo Infinite thread? Do you think Halo Infinite is stunted by the XSS? Do you realize all Xbox games will be on PC and the XSS outclasses many PCs on the market right now? This is a world where the Steam Deck can play all PC games yet the XSS is the bottleneck? Something doesn't add up.
When a poster in a Halo thread can’t stop mentioning other non Xbox gaming devices....

You know that thread has went to shit.

I think you're confused..

You seem to be mentioning Sony and PlayStation an awful lot in a thread about the analysis of an Xbox exclusive game.

Why bring them up, seemingly out of the blue, in the first place? Only to point fingers to everyone who's replied to you and state that they are the ones derailing.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Does not make any sense at all. He called criticism of Series S concern trolling by Sony fans, gets reminded that its not just Sony fans who dislike the S, and then he responds with a post that suggests any response to HIS VERY OWN CLAIM is thread bbbbderailing. That makes no sense at all.
This is low effort gaslighting. Every single guy I mass quoted on page 2 is a known Sony warrior (and I didn't even quote all of them). Then you came in and "explained" how PS5 and XSX owners don't like the XSS because it holds back the big boys. That's when I pointed out that this explanation makes no sense with regards to Halo Infinite, which is an Xbox exclusive (and also a cross gen game). There is no valid reason why a Sony warrior would be so incredibly concerned with the XSS resolution in Halo Infinite. They're trolls :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Shmunter

This is low effort gaslighting. Every single guy I mass quoted on page 2 is a known Sony warrior (and I didn't even quote all of them). Then you came in and "explained" how PS5 and XSX owners don't like the XSS because it holds back the big boys. That's when I pointed out that this explanation makes no sense with regards to Halo Infinite, which is an Xbox exclusive (and also a cross gen game). There is no valid reason why a Sony warrior would be so incredibly concerned with the XSS resolution in Halo Infinite. They're trolls :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Only xbox fans are allowed to criticize a 2021 underpowered console?

In an industry where lowest common denominator more often than not dictates the software produced.

It is only staunch xbox fanboys that don't allow themselves to criticize anything with Xbox logo on it more like it. Get real!

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT

In an industry where lowest common denominator more often than not dictates the software produced.

It is only staunch xbox fanboys that don't allow themselves to criticize anything with Xbox logo on it more like it. Get real!

This game is on Xbox One original, so all the fake concern about Series S is simple trolling.

I'm glad you mentioned lowest common denominator. You can explain why when every Xbox game hits PC the XSS is the issue when there are tons of PCs out there with worse specs? The Steam Deck can play all PC games but the more powerful XSS is the problem? What sort of logic is this? Get real as you say!

dcmk7

Banned
It's an analysis thread, for one of the biggest franchises in gaming.

And you're upset because people pointed out a very low resolution number? Why isn't that discussable anyway?

As people have mentioned only person derailing seems to be you, with this nonsense that you've deliberately orchestrated. Bizarre.

Last edited:
So now it's a comparison thread? Why all the resolution talk? We're talking about a WIP game (it's not even a beta) we are not seeing the finished product, resolution is irrelevant at this point as everything will change.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ahhh I remember the days when 120 FPS was but a pipe dream on consoles…60 FPS was almost unachievable on anything outside of franchises That committed to taking the hit. Now we are delivering 900p/1080p with next gen features at 60 FPS On a Console that costs 300 Dollars and people are now moving the goal posts to 120 FPS.

what are other examples of titles on all consoles at 60fps? I think the big boys are hitting 1440p and in one case an internal res of 1080p at 60fps with drops in frame rate then upscale to higher resolutions.

this is also an online multiplayer game that is delivering these stats, not a single player experience….but here we are attacking the little box that could.

you go series s, anyone with a little sense knows you are putting in work.

Last edited:

twilo99

~1440p/~120fps on VRR capable display is best case scenario for the Series X for the most part.

Something tells me that the X can hit even higher refresh rates if they unlock it and let the user set the res to 1080p if desired. For some games, such as the one discussed here, 165fps @ 1080p might be the way to go.

Last edited:
400$ 10tf and RDNA 1.5 PS5 performs better on majority of games against xbox sx(500$, RDNA 2, 12TF). not a bad of the gimp 🤡 🤡 🤡
There's no use man. They just ignore everything until there is a "win" then they come out with a grand parade, chin up in the air... "I told you. 1.5... no match for 2.0. 10 is no match for 12" :messenger_tears_of_joy: I've been saying it this whole time, it's going to be a back and forth thing this whole generation. Sometimes it'll be the PS5, other times it'll be the Series X. I see a lot of flip flopping this generation... There will be time when it's "resolution" that matters. Then next time it'll be "use your eyes, it looks better no matter the res" then at time it's going to be "frame rate" is king. Gold medal worthy mental gymnastics!

twilo99

Cross gen development sucks & a 10gig 4tf next gen system also sucks. It's nothing but suck!

Help me understand this argument. Are you saying that ms flight sim, halo infinite, the new forza, etc. would all be much better games if the series S didn't exist? Because from what I've seen thus far, the series S hasn't held back a thing, unless I've missed something?

Shmunter

Help me understand this argument. Are you saying that ms flight sim, halo infinite, the new forza, etc. would all be much better games if the series S didn't exist? Because from what I've seen thus far, the series S hasn't held back a thing, unless I've missed something?
It’s what we don’t know or what could have been that inherently is the core issue. Many years to go in this gen.

Mr.ODST

Ohhh the irony of a Sony fanboy.

I was heavily critising the Series S and only bought one because I was working away for a long time and didn't want to miss out on playing Halo, Infinite and some other titles.

Ended up playing the whole of Outriders in 60fps and it looks great, Fallout 76 at 60fps and more, it does what it needs to do, If I want to play quick MP games like Apex, Warzone etc even at a friends the console literally fits in a very small bag.

Before the Sony bellends start posting again, I thnk the PS5 DE is better value than the SS but the SS isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I was heavily critising the Series S and only bought one because I was working away for a long time and didn't want to miss out on playing Halo, Infinite and some other titles.

Ended up playing the whole of Outriders in 60fps and it looks great, Fallout 76 at 60fps and more, it does what it needs to do, If I want to play quick MP games like Apex, Warzone etc even at a friends the console literally fits in a very small bag.

Before the Sony bellends start posting again, I thnk the PS5 DE is better value than the SS but the SS isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.
Where’s the irony?

Series S is great option for those who tight on budget and play on 1080p screens. 120option is for high end machines and enthusiastic gamers.
Then tell me two things:
Why does the series S cost as much as the series X once you upgrade the storage to match?
And why is the 120fps option offered on this device?

Certainly someone at MS did not have the insider information you have.

Series S, please kill it out of mercy MS. It’s not even a year in, imagine 4 years down the track.
lol why? If you bought a XSS for 120 FPS on next-gen games, then you're simply doing it wrong. May as well stick to 60fps considering that most TV's in the world aren't capable of 120 to begin with. That's like buying a Ford Focus and expecting it to perform like the GT.

Last edited:

Concern

Then tell me two things:
Why does the series S cost as much as the series X once you upgrade the storage to match?

"Why" are you so concerned about a console you don't own, on an ecosystem you have no interest in? And "why" do you insist on derailing for your console warring?

All this over a budget console lol.

Then tell me two things:

Answer 1 - When you use optional or additional hardware on any system or console, the price will go higher.

For example. My friend bought a 700$ PC, then i who own seriesX buy 2 external SSDs, now my Series X cost as much as my friend PC but its not as powerful as my friend PC. Im not bitching about it. I know what i invested in and i don't expect seriesX to become a PC.

Series S is 300$ console. Now if you buy extra additional hardware for it then obviously price will go up. Same goes for any console or PC or even a car lol. I can make my car as costly as Ferrari if i keep adding stuff to it or keep making modifications n all lol.

Answer 2 - We all like options, both in real life and in video games. Series S offers 120fps in selected games. Now if you are using it then you should expect cut backs in fidelity. 120fps option are designed for pure frame rate perspective on consoles. You don't have to use it. Just an option for those who got 1080p 120hz monitors or 1440p 120hz monitors.

So your criticism for Series S is pointless. You just hating on little guy just for sake of it.

Last edited:
"Why" are you so concerned about a console you don't own, on an ecosystem you have no interest in? And "why" do you insist on derailing for your console warring?

All this over a budget console lol.
"I don't love my favorite console. I just hate yours." Words to live by.

Very abstract :)

So you actually have no idea and just guessing?
They have NEVER had a concrete explanation as to why the XSS is a problem. It just insults their sensibilities. It is especially funny seeing the XSS offer more games at 120fps and more features than other consoles that cost more. The XSS should be at the bottom of the pile yet it is doing things no one thought it could do. For the money it is clearly the best value. Games + console will always beat a console alone.

I really don't get it.. its cheap, it works, and I don't see how it will make developing new games for it any worse than any other console out there.

Once games are purely made for Series consoles with new upscaling technology. You will see Series S showing even better results .

I mean its already beating One X now almost every department except resolution and its cheaper than One X.

Go play Ascent on One X then Series S. You will not go back to One X. Same goes for Halo infinite beta

Last edited:
I have a series x , but for series s to really make a difference it needs to be 250ish to really attract people on a budget 300 is closer to PS4 digital which is vastly superior , but 250 and now we are talking

Once games are purely made for Series consoles with new upscaling technology. You will see Series S showing even better results .

I mean its already beating One X now almost every department except resolution and its cheaper than One X.

Go play Ascent on One X then Series S. You will not go back to One X. Same goes for Halo infinite beta
Yep, the One X is a complete turd compared to the XSS. Loading times alone make it unplayable.

I have a series x , but for series s to really make a difference it needs to be 250ish to really attract people on a budget 300 is closer to PS4 digital which is vastly superior , but 250 and now we are talking
It's interesting you say that because the PS5 DE is already $100 more than the XSS. Isn't 400 to 300 a bigger difference than 300 to 250? You already can get the XSS AND Game pass for the price of just a system elsewhere. How is a 400 box with no games a better deal? Unless you don't plan on playing any games. We'll have to set aside the fact that XSS is far easier to obtain. You can't beat something with nothing.

Last edited:

sendit

It's interesting you say that because the PS5 DE is already $100 more than the XSS. Isn't 400 to 300 a bigger difference than 300 to 250? You already can get the XSS AND Game pass for the price of just a system elsewhere. How is a 400 box with no games a better deal? Unless you don't plan on playing any games. We'll have to set aside the fact that XSS is far easier to obtain. You can't beat something with nothing.

Agreed. Who would pay $100 more for a less capable machine when you can play on the XSS at 540p.

Mr Moose

PS+ collection. You're welcome.

DragonNCM

You are right about value of SS, on paper PS5 digital is better bang for the buck in every aspect .........BUT PS5 CAN'T PLAY MS EXCLUSIVES & Doesn't HAVE GAMEPASS.
That thing people need to understand, it is not about how much POWER you have in hardware but is all about games you can play on it.
Xbox SS is right on spot with 300$ price for upcoming holydays as will be 200$ cheaper then big brother.
More dedicated hardcore gamers will take PS5 or Xbox SX but a lot of people will get Xbox SS as lower budget option for their kids or even as second console
& there are people WHO DON'T FUCKING care about 4k,120fps,raytracing,VRR " THEY JUST WANA PLAY."
For me as I look at it it is win/win situation because I can play best of the gaming industry at lower cost ,400$ PS5 & Xbox SS 300$ + gamepass.

PS+ collection. You're welcome.
PS+ requires an additional cash investment on a system that is already more expensive. If you argument is that you can get more by paying more that isn't noteworthy. The XSS is about getting more for LESS money.

Agreed. Who would pay $100 more for a less capable machine when you can play on the XSS at 540p.
I wasn't unaware all XSS games ran at 540p. You should make a thread with your detailed technical analysis. Also you said the optimal word 'play'. $400 doesn't get much play time on other devices.

Last edited:

sendit

PS+ requires an additional cash investment on a system that is already more expensive. If you argument is that you can get more by paying more that isn't noteworthy. The XSS is about getting more for LESS money.

I was unaware all XSS games ran at 540p. You should make a thread with your detailed technical analysis. Also you said the optimal word 'play'. $400 doesn't get much play time on other devices.
Agreed. I think we can conclude that being poor sucks.

Mr Moose

So does Series S with XBLG and GamePass, silly. Anyway this is off topic.

dcmk7

Banned
I was unaware all XSS games ran at 540p
These extreme dips are happening more and more regularly.

For a console that's expected to last the entire generation it certainly seems to be struggling to run these next gen features. Even on cross gen games...
look at Doom Eternal, RT had to be dropped entirely.

When considering bang for buck, it's a difficult sell on a technical scale. And it might be the reason why it's so in stock across Europe.

But if you're happy with your purchase then not sure why you're so concerned with what others think.

Everyone is entitled to opinions after all.

yamaci17

These extreme dips are happening more and more regularly.

For a console that's expected to last the entire generation it certainly seems to be struggling to run these next gen features. Even on cross gen games...
look at Doom Eternal, RT had to be dropped entirely.

When considering bang for buck, it's a difficult sell on a technical scale. And it might be the reason why it's so in stock across Europe.

But if you're happy with your purchase then not sure why you're so concerned with what others think.

Everyone is entitled to opinions after all.
it doesn't matter if it happens regularly or not.

. i never see any actual series s users complaining about valhalla, medium, this one and countless other games that usually runs at or below 720p

this tells us that the upscaling trickey they use do decent enough job that people are not disturbed by the graphics

at that point of enlightment, you understand that it is pointless to scorn at low resolutions (as i did countless other times back then. some users would probably remember me very strongly. i did a 180 turn because I changed my perspective on the topic after analyzing the discussions with a more sympathetical approach. biggest determinator on my thoughts happened when a friend of mine casually asked me if xbox series s was worth it or not. he had a 1080p screen and he doesn't even know about frames/resolutions and stuff. naturally i said it was worth every penny and he's happy ever since

now back to the topic, as some other users said, most of series s demographic will really have a 1080p tv. and those 1080p tvs tend to have 60 hz. in the topic of halo, we're talking about a brutal 120 fps mode. as has been said countless other times, its a tough job. u can't simply expect 900/1080p 120 fps. it is impossible. it needs literally tech wizardry, and there's no need for that, games won't be designed around series s. games will be designed around ps5/sx. the game hits 1200-1440p at 120 fps on sx? then they will push it to the market. series s will have to adapt

Top Bottom