• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 3 Remake PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

But just to make sure, I never said you cant post what u want, i did not try and armchair mod, I simply stated my opinion that performance threads should be about performance discussion.

Honestly I’ll let the admins decide that. If it’s ok to tie in console features into performance discussions then ilk continue if not then I’ll stop. I don’t have the power to tell people what they can or can’t say it’s up to someone else to do that.

Banned
Again no VRR doesn't fix drops below 48 fps whatever it's his range. Series X can trick it forcing 120hz but this not because "VRR" has wider range but because XSX can force 120hz in all games in a system level which has nothing to do with normal VRR.

the Series X has a natibe range of 40hz to 120hz

with Low Framerate Compensation you can go really low ;)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Again no VRR doesn't fix drops below 48 fps whatever it's his range. Series X can trick it forcing 120hz but this not because "VRR" has wider range but because XSX can force 120hz in all games in a system level which has nothing to do with normal VRR.

Series X's VRR range goes to 40hz.

PS5's VRR range limits at 48hz.

assurdum

Banned
Series X's VRR range goes to 40hz.

PS5's VRR range limits at 48hz.
Again it's not that I'm questioning. VRR works when you stay in an acceptable range, when you goes from 60 to 50, 40 and 30 fps, fluctuation in the control responsiveness still remain.

Last edited:

RobRSG

Xbox supports Freesync, and this is the reason why it has a wider range. Pure VRR goes as low as 48hz, nothing to do with 120hz. It is a different standard all in all.

93xfan

Banned
I don't follow you. I find incredibly stupid use 4k CBR with RT with such perfomance on console I literally don't understand why capcom didn't opted yet for lower resolution and still persist in this way.
I was joking. I’d be all for lowering the frame rate for a stable performance. This thread not existing would be no loss to me

assurdum

Banned
You can spin as much as you want. It doesn’t change the facts.

Xbox can handle a wider range due to Freesync.
So why you don't use 60hz with VRR indeed to force 120hz. Lets see how magically will fix drops below 60 fps such "wider" range of freesync.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

So why you don't use 60hz with VRR indeed to force 120hz. Lets see how magically will fix drops below 60 fps such "wider" range of freesync.

? Older 75hz monitors with FreeSync work fine with Xbox series, your VRR range is typically 48 - 60 on those. 120hz is in no way a requirement for VRR.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ah...oh well. It was showing your contributions to this thread. Every single post except for one has been on this "issue". And ironically, even that one talks about controllers.
Well if thats how you want to see it, theres nothing I can do.
Sorry you feel this way.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
? Older 75hz monitors with FreeSync work fine with Xbox series, your VRR range is typically 48 - 60 on those. 120hz is in no way a requirement for VRR.
You should educate yourself and go to check why XSX can fix fps drops below 50 fps. It's just thanks forcing 120hz which duplicate 40fps. Without that trick, freesync can't fix fluctuation so wide. Who said otherwise simply lie or don't know how effectively work.

I already tell you Ricky: get a life, you are a sad pathetic fanboy without real argument which never engage a serious discussion in his whole post history. A fart in the wind is more useful than your presence in a forum.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

You should educate yourself and go to check why XSX can fix fps drops below 50 fps. It's just thanks forcing 120hz which duplicate 40fps. Without that trick, freesync can't fix fluctuation like that.

You should educate yourself better first, because FreeSync can and does function without forcing 120fps output. As does Xbox. LOL

What do you think FreeSync on 75hz displays is, some kind of joke by AMD? There are panels that run native at 40fps now on the market (even a few at 30fps - they use some strobe techniques to avoid decay), I don't know what else to tell you.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Again it's not that I'm questioning. VRR works when you stay in an acceptable range, when you goes from 60 to 50, 40 and 30 fps, fluctuation in the control responsiveness still remain.

Removing the visible judder that comes from the game and display not running on the same refresh is one of the two big things VRR is for, the other is eliminating screen tearing.

Most games have a hard time hitting 60 FPS as it is, that's why some developers are using 40hz locks on 120hz cause hitting 40FPS is a lot less stressful on a device than hitting 60.

You should educate yourself and go to check why XSX can fix fps drops below 50 fps. It's just thanks forcing 120hz which duplicate 40fps. Without that trick, freesync can't fix fluctuation like that.

Freesync works just as well on Xboxes when running on HDMI 2.0 devices as well, where the max bandwidth is 4K/60hz.

The VRR range doesn't change because of that. The VRR range is dependent on the display and if the system supports it.

Last edited:

RobRSG

You should educate yourself and go to check why XSX can fix fps drops below 50 fps. It's just thanks forcing 120hz which duplicate 40fps. Without that trick, freesync can't fix fluctuation so wide. Who said otherwise simply lie or don't know how effectively work.
Perhaps if it didn’t I would question myself, but it does. I think you need to have access to an Xbox and see for yourself, dude.

assurdum

Banned
Perhaps if it didn’t I would question myself, but it does. I think you need to have access to an Xbox and see for yourself, dude.
I'm not questioning XSX VRR range I just said technically VRR can't fix drops below 48 fps. I really invite some people to read more documentation about how work VRR or Freesync. I'm not saying it's better without it, it still helps to mitigate the judders perception, but leave pass the idea it can fix whatever fps issue with wider drops, it's totally wrong.

Last edited:
What the hell happened in here? This thread is all fucked up. I already have these on PS4 so PS5 for me, maybe ill give it a spin today.
sorry barack obama GIF by NowThis

Yeah I’m not going to continue this. I already left this thread in a pretty bad state.

DaGwaphics

I'm not questioning XSX VRR range I just said technically VRR doesn't fix drops below 48 fps. I really invite some people to read more documentation how work VRR or Freesync. I'm not saying it's better without it but lets pass the idea it fix fps with wider drops, it's totally wrong.

This is just wrong. Will you still notice pacing issues if you are bouncing around all over the place, sure. But, even in the 40s (with the right display) the output is still being synced with the refresh rate, meaning no tearing or issue with displaying the image and no input lag from vsync buffering (VRR is still fully functioning and doing its job).

adamsapple

I'm not questioning XSX VRR range I just said technically VRR doesn't fix drops below 48 fps. I really invite some people to read more documentation how work VRR or Freesync.

It works, it's well documented.

Watch the first few minutes of this video, this guy shows it in action that the VRR mode works when the frame rate is above 40 (he actually says the Xbox VRR range is 39hz) even when the system is running in 60hz mode.

Keep in mind, LFC (low frame rate compensation) doesn't even work unless the system is set to 120hz mode, so in this example he is showing that the VRR is working in the 40hz range even *without* LFC.

That's why DF and such say the Xbox has the better implementation of VRR. It has a broader range of coverage.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You think ? The game runs about 8% faster on XSX vs PS5 in this game. It's a win, but very small.

But there are still others recent games with a lead on PS5. For instance Wreckfest, about 20% better performance on PS5 in similar scenes according to DF (~50fps vs 60fps).

The biggest recent release? Elden Ring with again a ~20% performance advantage (res + fps) on PS5 in some scenes.

I'd say things didn't improve for Xbox at all this year.

Wreckfest.....idjnt native on xbox and elden ring was buggered on launch but drastically better now.

Like John from DF mentioned it's xbox taking the lead in comparisons but it doesn't really matter too much. It should be and the gaps not that large anyway.

Banned
But there are still others recent games with a lead on PS5. For instance Wreckfest, about 20% better performance on PS5 in similar scenes according to DF (~50fps vs 60fps).

Wreckfest on Series X is a backwards compatible game not a native game like on PS5

in back compat mode the GPU loses all the IPC gains of RDNA2 and basically functions like a 12TF GCN gpu, which can be an up to 30% loss in performance going by tests on GCN vs RDNA pc GPUs

The biggest recent release? Elden Ring with again a ~20% performance advantage (res + fps) on PS5 in some scenes.

I'd say things didn't improve for Xbox at all this year.

there was a recent patch that basically brings the SX version on par with PS5. loading is vastly sped up and Framerates are more stable as well.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It's good that this isn't a repeat of RE2. Those lows could really go low :
XOUxQ95.png

But like it was said countless times, RT mode would benefit from some form of DRS for RE2 and RE3.
Woah that's major!

I asked this about the other games and I'll ask it again for this.

Do both versions use 3D audio? Because that's a significant advantage if one version doesn't.

DaGwaphics

Woah that's major!

Yeah, when the split screens look absolutely nothing alike, that's a sign of a good, trustworthy comparison right there. If they had used a complete black screen on PS5 they might have even gotten it a bit higher.

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF

Stats for this video have the RT mode with a minimum framerate in the 30s for both.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Yeah, when the split screens look absolutely nothing alike, that's a sign of a good, trustworthy comparison right there. If they had used a complete black screen on PS5 they might have even gotten it a bit higher.

Ryan Gosling Lol GIF
Aww did my reply to his post bother you?
It's a pretty significant drop on XSX no matter how much you try and spin it away.

DaGwaphics

So can you match the low he posted from GAMEPLAY with the PS5?

If you honestly think you can maintain a 48fps average with 18fps lows and a max fps of 30fps, that's on you. Clearly that graph doesn't hold water. XSX would need some 16ms frames in order to make that average happen, something seems off there. Looks like the graph has 60 frames on it too, which just makes it impossible.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If you honestly think you can maintain a 48fps average with 18fps lows and a max fps of 30fps, that's on you. Clearly that graph doesn't hold water. XSX would need some 16ms frames in order to make that average happen, something seems off there.
So I guess the answer is no you can't.
Your type likes to try and change goal posts so I will not acknowledge the rest of this post.

Top Bottom