• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Resident Evil 7 PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update)

ParaSeoul

Resident Evil 7 on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles has two graphical settings: High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing. The High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing can't be enabled at the same time, so there are three different modes available. PS5 and Xbox Series X in all modes render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering. Xbox Series S in all modes renders at a resolution of 2560x1440 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering. A bug was found on the Xbox Series X where the frame rate would sometimes drop during the opening of the game https://bit.ly/3O2EcRd The ray tracing used here seems to be a form of RT GI and RT Reflections.

Stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w4kzoWiVYEBAOmYdtTca3dGQ2Qy54j5jAIJM955TESw/edit

Last edited:

Arioco

The versions tested were 1.000.001 on PS5 and 2.0.0.0 on the Xbox Series consoles.

The 120fps footage here was captured at 1080p.
Timestamps:
00:00 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray Tracing On
04:48 - High Frame Rate Mode On, Ray Tracing Off
09:36 - High Frame Rate Mode Off, Ray Tracing Off

Resident Evil 7 on PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles has two graphical settings: High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing. The High Frame Rate Mode and Ray Tracing can't be enabled at the same time, so there are three different modes available.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in all modes render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering.

Xbox Series S in all modes renders at a resolution of 2560x1440 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering.

A bug was found on the Xbox Series X where the frame rate would sometimes drop during the opening of the game https://bit.ly/3O2EcRd The ray tracing used here seems to be a form of RT GI and RT Reflections. Stats: https://bit.ly/3Ogd9RU Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3MPtUlS

Last edited:
Dj Khaled Fergie GIF by The Four

Jennings

I don't know about that,its not hitting the frame rate targets in any of the modes for a 5 year old game. Its in the VRR range but for future more demanding titles,probably not.
I don't care about the hard numbers if the performance differences are indistinguishable to me. When it comes to buying a lower tier system It's all about look and feel, not matching metrics. And the video proves it looks great even side by side with higher end systems.

Last edited:
I don't care about the hard numbers if the performance differences are indistinguishable to me. When it comes to buying a lower tier system It's all about look and feel, not matching metrics. And the video proves it looks great even side by side with higher end systems.
100% agree. Plus all the performance issues come from raytracing or 120fps modes. For a budget $300 console 60 fps is perfect and it handles that fantastically. It's great gamers have an affordable option for current gen.

MikeM

100% agree. Plus all the performance issues come from raytracing or 120fps modes. For a budget $300 console 60 fps is perfect and it handles that fantastically. It's great gamers have an affordable option for current gen.
I’d hardly call the performance in 120 mode an issue if you have a vrr TV.

Cocksman

This is a bit off topic a bit but how often do the RE games go on sale digitally? I have a craving to play 2 but there is no way I’m paying 40 bucks for it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is a bit off topic a bit but how often do the RE games go on sale digitally? I have a craving to play 2 but there is no way I’m paying 40 bucks for it.

Very often. On Xbox they're on sale every other week.

On topic. RE engine games are very well optimized but then again this game was a decent 60 FPS on base PS4 as well, it should have done great now too.

gamer82

If it's anything like RE2 it's native 4K with reconstruction used for RT effects.

By the way, wow at this difference:

Compared to RE2 and RE3 RT here completely transformed the game. Looks much, much better.

to me the ps4 textures looked sharper , Mia's janky hair damn they need to work on hair textures in their games , it seems they have thrown a warmer pallet on the ps5 game. I'm not a big fan of warm picture but thats just me.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Literally the same performance on both PS5 and XSX. Same resolution. Same frame rates. Where did you find the advantage for Xbox?

I guess he is talking about the mighty power of thy holy 12 Teraflops translating to ~1.4% higher FPS in the 120 FPS mode...

Exactly, that huge performance delta in the 120fps mode. 😆

Series x flexing its muscle in 2022. 😄

avin

The PS5 drops a few frames here and there, whereas XSX holds 120 nearly all the time. The exception is at 9:18 in the video, or shortly after, when the XSX drops to 118, and the PS5 drops to 106. So at most ~10% delta, going by the single instance I saw.

avin

Last edited:

Lysandros

The PS5 drops a few frames here and there, whereas XSX holds 120 nearly all the time. The exception is at 9:18 in the video, or shortly after, when the XSX drops to 118, and the PS5 drops to 106. So at most ~10% delta, going by the single instance I saw.

avin
The actual is average is provided in the data sheet, it's 118.14 FPS vs 119.77 FPS which is a ~1.4% difference. The minimums are ~6% apart.

niBt1bQ.jpg

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Great performance on all hardware everything considered. I could never get too far into this game, creeps me out.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If it's anything like RE2 it's native 4K with reconstruction used for RT effects.

By the way, wow at this difference:

Compared to RE2 and RE3 RT here completely transformed the game. Looks much, much better.

I can't really tell what's supposed to be better, here on my phone's screen.

lachesis

I am very happy with the updates. It runs very smooth and somehow it feels like there's a bit more depth in some parts. The original entrance pathway area with that orange-greenish area felt so monochromatic, but on PS5, it somehow feels slightly more natural looking with different colors going on.

Mia, still scares shit out of me all the time though. (Her original video saying "haaaai honey" was actually my first jumps scare of the game)... that teeth look kinda weird.

avin

The actual is average is provided in the data sheet, it's 118.14 FPS vs 119.77 FPS which is a ~1.4% difference. The minimums are ~6% apart.

The averages are what a player experiences, and it's fine if that's your point. It isn't mine. The majority of the time in the video is spent at 120 Hz, so I don't know how much headroom these boxes have above that, and that's what I'm trying to get at. The minimums on the sheet are more interesting, but I can't tell they're from like-for-like situations, and what it would mean if they weren't.

Going by the only like-for-like situation I think I see, where both boxes are below maxed out, I come to "at most ~10% delta" on this engine. It's one data point only, but it's my best guess.

And yes, the difference is small. Moving on.

avin

Last edited:
Top Bottom