• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: Star Wars Jedi Survivor PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Footage is from update 3 and update 4.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Resolution Mode (Performance Mode Disabled) and Xbox Series S
15:12 - PS5 and Xbox Series X Performance Mode Enabled

PS5 in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 1536x864 and the lowest resolution found being 1152x648. PS5 in performance mode uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 2304x1296 resolution.

Xbox Series X in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 1621x912 and the lowest resolution found being 1216x684. Xbox Series X in performance mode uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 2432x1368 resolution.

PS5 in resolution mode (performance mode disabled) uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 2346x1320 and the lowest resolution found being 1728x972. PS5 in resolution mode uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Xbox Series X in resolution mode (performance mode disabled) uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being 1728x972. Xbox Series X in resolution mode uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest rendering resolution found being 1600x900 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1312x738. Pixel counts at 1312x738 were rare on Xbox Series S. Xbox Series S uses FSR 2 to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution.

In both modes PS5 and Xbox Series X render the UI at 3840x2160. Xbox Series S renders the UI at 1920x1080.

Cutscenes are letterboxed which results in a lower effective resolution during these scenes.

Cutscenes weren't included in the performance mode footage because PS5 and Xbox Series X turn performance mode off during cutscenes.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in both modes use ray-traced reflections and seem to use a form of ray-traced global illumination. Xbox Series S doesn't have a performance mode and doesn't seem to feature any ray-tracing.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in resolution mode have additional foliage and an improved LOD transition distance compared to performance mode and Xbox Series S.

Instances of camera and animation stutter was seen on Xbox Series S and in resolution mode on the other two consoles.

Performance can vary run-to-run. Performance degradation was seen during an extended play session https://bit.ly/3Wmys9R

Stats: https://bit.ly/3Nj2ngS
Frames Pixel Counted: https://bit.ly/3Vd6oFo

OHpC7Sc.png
UxiEld4.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Normally I would be all for 30 fps modes dropping below 1440p dipping around 1080p, but im just not seeing the visual upgrade here. They need to forget about the performance mode and think about improving the 30 fps resolution. Turning off RT on PC gets me 33% more performance. They should start off with that.

Maybe offer 40 fps as a performance mode with RT off.

Fbh

1152x648 and yet it usually hovers around 45-50fps with drops as low as 19fps.
I liked the first one but I'm waiting for the $20 or under price on this one (or if it shows up on Ps+)

Wow still not fixed, don’t think it will ever be, they still don’t have an option to turn off RT. Wtf.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

1152x648

And they dare to charge $70...

648p and drops to the 20s, amazing.

1152x648 and yet it usually hovers around 45-50fps with drops as low as 19fps.
I liked the first one but I'm waiting for the $20 or under price on this one (or if it shows up on Ps+)
I find comments like these misleading at worst, or disingenuous at best.

This is just not how resolutions work when it clearly says and we can clearly see its using reconstruction. To point out these resolutions as if that is how the game looks is to suggest it looks on par with say a switch game. It just doesn't.

Now we can demand more from the devs, I do, hence why I am still not buying the game, but lets not be talking about these resolutions as if anyone of you would have been able to say that is what it was running at natively if you weren't told.

Or have you never seen what a 648p native game actually looks like?

Darsxx82

Either the patches have greatly improved performance on XSX or the NXG analysis was pretty inaccurate.

The framerate matches the results claimed by DF when he said that XSX and PS5 were "pretty much the same". NXG decided that PS5 had an Up to18% advantage over XSX in performance mode and that both consoles were 30fps locked in resolution.
Could one explanation be that NXG collected XSX's framerate when XSX was affected by the bug that lose performance when playing for long periods of time?🤔

Then, NXG's mistake in terms of resolution is also confirmed. DF (the discussed Tom and Oliver) was also more accurate and only failed to figure out the slight advantage of XSX over PS5.

In essence it could be said that both versions are "basically the same". Which on the one hand is a bit disappointing because, despite several patches, the performance continues to leave much to be desired on all platforms.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

This is just not how resolutions work when it clearly says and we can clearly see its using reconstruction. To point out these resolutions as if that is how the game looks is to suggest it looks on par with say a switch game. It just doesn't.

Now we can demand more from the devs, I do, hence why I am still not buying the game, but lets not be talking about these resolutions as if anyone of you would have been able to say that is what it was running at natively if you weren't told.

star-wars-jedi-ocalaly-optymalizacja-3.jpg

The too low resolution affects the game more in motion in reconstructions.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I would agree with you if the game didn't look like shit in performance mode.

Mr.Phoenix

I would agree with you if the game didn't look like shit in performance mode.
I can't argue with either of you, because outside what I have seen in these tech review videos, I don't know much else. So to argue would be to be taking out my ass.

I have however not seen any of these tech reviews that show anything that looked as bad as this picture here.

Fbh

FSR2 isn't magic. Sure it will help the image look better than a native 648p image but the extremely low base resolution will still result in a blurry, muddy looking image (that looks even worse in motion).
There's a reason most devs aren't just rendering everything at 720p and then simply using FSR2.

Then you add the fact it's not even running anywhere near 60fps most of the time and I'm simply not seeing a product that's worth paying more than $20 for.

Mr.Phoenix

FSR2 isn't magic. Sure it will help the image look better than a native 648p image but the extremely low base resolution will still result in a blurry, muddy looking image (that looks even worse in motion).
There's a reason most devs aren't just rendering everything at 720p and then simply using FSR2.

Then you add the fact it's not even running anywhere near 60fps most of the time and I'm simply not seeing a product that's worth paying more than $20 for.
I know FSR isn't magic, in addition to videos like these and other tech sites, I also use sites like these to have a bead on how a game actually performs.

I have just not seen it look as bad as some are making it out to be anywhere. Static or in motion. And I am not defending it, I too have not bought it yet, and won't until it reaches a state I deem acceptable or gets much cheaper (whichever comes first).

Reactions: Fbh

Bojji

Either the patches have greatly improved performance on XSX or the NXG analysis was pretty inaccurate.

The framerate matches the results claimed by DF when he said that XSX and PS5 were "pretty much the same". NXG decided that PS5 had an Up to18% advantage over XSX in performance mode and that both consoles were 30fps locked in resolution.
Could one explanation be that NXG collected XSX's framerate when XSX was affected by the bug that lose performance when playing for long periods of time?🤔

Then, NXG's mistake in terms of resolution is also confirmed. DF (the discussed Tom and Oliver) was also more accurate and only failed to figure out the slight advantage of XSX over PS5.

In essence it could be said that both versions are "basically the same". Which on the one hand is a bit disappointing because, despite several patches, the performance continues to leave much to be desired on all platforms.

Devs probably cleared up some optimization/DX12 bottlenecks in patches and this bringer Xbox version to maximum theoretical performance console CPU can achieve. Both consoles have very similar CPUs so... PS5=XSX.

Banned

FSR2 was a mistake...

I bet if this was Checkerboard 900p it would look better, especially in motion. in motion this game is just eye cancer at times

swscreenzoomxlfwx.png

and while you can see the 4 ghost contours and the blurriness in this still image, what you can't see is the constant fizzling in motion

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

NXG was working off the day one patch the day after launch. VGT's notes say this is running off of patch 3 and 4 which came after NXG's analysis.

Patch 3.5 states it fixes performance issues across both PS5 and XSX so NXG's analysis doesn't apply any longer.

Last edited:

In many ways it looks worse than a 648p native game would as the FSR just can't handle the low resolution so you get tons of ghosting, shimmering and moments where stuff is occluded one second (like behind a post or something) and then suddenly not as you move the camera and the FSR just has no clue what to do and spams some random artifacts to the screen. No need to pixel peep like with DLSS 3 as it is super obvious with the naked eye in real time.

It looks sharper than 648p native sure and actually looks fine where the camera isn't moving but as soon as you move it looks a complete mess.

I play plenty of 720p stuff on the same TV and it looks blurry as hell sure but I'd take that 100 times out of 100 over the ugly mess this game gives thanks to FSR.

Here are 3 sequential frames from a capture I took from a PS5. Every frame is ugly so super obvious without pixel peeping.

DCnpbQJ.jpg

UV8YG8y.jpg

pywHWz0.jpg

It's not always this bad but it's also sometimes much much worse.

Robbinhood

Banned
I actually love the idea of next gen games running lower res and using great upscaling techniques, much smarter use of resources. 4k is such a waste. Unfortunately this game uses a shitty upscale with FSR, DLSS is so much better. I'm still dying to play this but I'll wait for a sale. Got like 5 games on deck and theres simply no time.

Darsxx82

NXG was working off the day one patch the day after launch. VGT's notes say this is running off of patch 3 and 4 which came after NXG's analysis.
I think DF reviewed the same version as NXG and found it very different result in terms of performance and resolution. Here, however, some questioned the accuracy of DF's analysis (Tom/Oliver).

The results of DF's analysis fully coincide with that of VGtech both in terms of framerate and resolution (although DF did not specify the very slight advantage of XSX in average resolution).

Personally I don't think the patches could have improved the XSX version so much compared to the PS5 version. Analysis of DF on Twitter even shows worsening compared to its previous results.

As I said, one explanation could be that NXG recorded XSX's framerate when it was suffering from the bug that worsens performance when playing for long periods of time (present in PS5 version also). But there is no explanation for the error in relation to the resolution where NXG gave figures much higher than the real ones.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think DF reviewed the same version as NXG and found it very different result in terms of performance and resolution. Here, however, some questioned the accuracy of DF's analysis (Tom and Oliver).

The results of DF's analysis fully coincide with that of VGtech both in terms of framerate and resolution (although DF did not specify the very slight advantage of XSX in average resolution).

Personally I don't think the patches could have improved the XSX version so much compared to the PS5 version. Analysis of DF on Twitter even shows worsening compared to its previous results.

As I said, one explanation could be that NXG recorded XSX's framerate when it was suffering from the bug that worsens performance when playing for long periods of time (present in PS5 version also). But there is no explanation for the error in relation to the resolution where NXG gave figures much higher than the real ones.

That's fine. Not the first time there have been discrepancies between the analysts.

Darsxx82

That's fine. Not the first time there have been discrepancies between the analysts.
Correct, and for this reason I continue to support the idea that no source should be prohibited or banned here, no matter how dissenting or erroneous they may be in their conclusions compared to the rest in one or more times.

There are many occasions where a source may not be accurate in its conclusions or analysis, but the material offered can be used to draw conclusions in different aspects.

Of course, a simple opinión.

Luipadre

In many ways it looks worse than a 648p native game would as the FSR just can't handle the low resolution so you get tons of ghosting, shimmering and moments where stuff is occluded one second (like behind a post or something) and then suddenly not as you move the camera and the FSR just has no clue what to do and spams some random artifacts to the screen. No need to pixel peep like with DLSS 3 as it is super obvious with the naked eye in real time.

It looks sharper than 648p native sure and actually looks fine where the camera isn't moving but as soon as you move it looks a complete mess.

I play plenty of 720p stuff on the same TV and it looks blurry as hell sure but I'd take that 100 times out of 100 over the ugly mess this game gives thanks to FSR.

Here are 3 sequential frames from a capture I took from a PS5. Every frame is ugly so super obvious without pixel peeping.

DCnpbQJ.jpg

UV8YG8y.jpg

pywHWz0.jpg

It's not always this bad but it's also sometimes much much worse.

Absolutely disgusting. Its like playing a game through cloud.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Patch 3.5 states it fixes performance issues across both PS5 and XSX so NXG's analysis doesn't apply any longer.

There's too much evidence pointing to the xbox being a little behind in development when games launch. I understand why they may prioritise ps5 at first but I don't think its right.

Then the xbox catches up and can often become the best performing version.

Seems like performance is more or less getting there and resolution seems to be in line with the power difference 🤔 I think?

Throws these launch comparisons out the window...I think tech sites should just wait a few weeks tbh.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
These are always so late and the excel spreadsheets are so unnecessary lol.
What is the fps here and here. it's 30. yay !

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
does it actually improves performance or just breaks more shit?

Gotta wait till someone covers the new patch I guess. I've been playing the Quality mode anyway and that was always a pretty good 30 FPS in 99% of the case. The Performance mode is way too inconsistent to be viable at the moment.

Topher

Gold Member
There's too much evidence pointing to the xbox being a little behind in development when games launch. I understand why they may prioritise ps5 at first but I don't think its right.

Then the xbox catches up and can often become the best performing version.

Seems like performance is more or less getting there and resolution seems to be in line with the power difference 🤔 I think?

Throws these launch comparisons out the window...I think tech sites should just wait a few weeks tbh.

The versions are on par with each other so not sure how Xbox is the best performing. XSX slight advantage in resolution. PS5 slight advantage in frame rate. Both seem lacking overall.

Luipadre

Gotta wait till someone covers the new patch I guess. I've been playing the Quality mode anyway and that was always a pretty good 30 FPS in 99% of the case. The Performance mode is way too inconsistent to be viable at the moment.

yeah even if im gonna play this game i wont be playing in performance mode, because the image quality looks really bad and the fps is all over the place

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

There was a patch installing when I set it to delete so might be better but FPS all over the place. I swear it high 60s when playing then drops into the 20s when I went into the bar... I got no idea what is going on but the game doesn't look that good with RT off to be running worse then Cyberpunk with RT on.

Topher

Gold Member
There was a patch installing when I set it to delete so might be better but FPS all over the place. I swear it high 60s when playing then drops into the 20s when I went into the bar... I got no idea what is going on but the game doesn't look that good with RT off to be running worse then Cyberpunk with RT on.

Well shit......I might as well just add 6 months to any release date (console or PC) when anticipating when I'll be playing games.

Top Bottom