• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGTech: The Witcher 3 Performance Mode Xbox Series X vs Xbox One X Frame Rate Test (Backwards Compatibility)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yes, we're all tired of waiting for that TW3 next gen patch and looks like VGTech was as well.

So they decided to run this video out today. TW3 on Series X in BC mode vs One X.

And the results are pretty dang amazing on SX.

Very high resolutions and a 100% lock on 60 FPS.

The Witcher 3 on Xbox One X also has a 4K mode that runs at 30fps and reaches a higher resolution https://youtu.be/SKLIicW4XUc The resolution in the 4K mode appears to be locked to 3840x2160 on Xbox Series X

Xbox Series X running the Xbox One X version in Performance Mode via backwards compatibility uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being approximately 3456x1944 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2400x1350.

Texture filtering also seems to be improved on Xbox Series X.

Below are some example pixel counts for certain scenes on Xbox Series X and Xbox One X. Note that these figures are approximate and not necessarily representative of how the entirety of a given area will render.

Forest before White Orchard Village - Series X: 2908x1636, One X: 2176x1224
Outside of White Orchard Village - Series X: 3392x1908, One X: 2400x1350
Griffin swooping at 0:30 - Series X: 3456x1944, One X: 2400x1350
Riding through Crookback Bog - Series X: 2880x1620, One X: 2112x1188
Demanding scene at 3:07 - Series X: 2400x1350, One X: 1920x1080
Outside of Novigrad - Series X: 3264x1836, One X: 2460x1384
Novigrad Market - Series X: 3296x1854, One X: 2560x1440

Last edited:

adamsapple

Performance metrics:

PlatformsXbox Series XXbox One X
Frame Amounts
Game Frames2131119892
Video Frames2131221312
Frame Tearing Statistics
Total Torn Frames00
Lowest Torn Line--
Frame Height21602160
Frame Time Statistics
Mean Frame Time16.67ms17.86ms
Median Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms
Maximum Frame Time33.33ms66.67ms
Minimum Frame Time16.67ms16.67ms
95th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
99th Percentile Frame Time16.67ms33.33ms
Frame Rate Statistics
Mean Frame Rate60fps56.01fps
Median Frame Rate60fps60fps
Maximum Frame Rate60fps60fps
Minimum Frame Rate59fps36fps
5th Percentile Frame Rate60fps41fps
1st Percentile Frame Rate60fps39fps
Frame Time Counts
16.67ms21310 (100%)18484 (92.92%)
33.33ms1 (0%)1397 (7.02%)

Skifi28

They should have unlocked the framerate on the PS version too and called it a day, the "next gen" version has just been a mess ever since its conception.

adamsapple

Just an FYI.

The GoTY version with all the DLC included is currently on sale for only $9.99.

That's hundred + hour of content for a tenner only.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Just an FYI.

That's probably the best deal in gaming period to be honest. I happily paid full price for it on both GOG and X1, didn't regret a penny, bought the DLC's full price for both as well. That was back when I believed CDP walked on water.....I really wish I still believed that. I do have faith that they'll crawl back though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I actually started this up in story mode for the Mrs after we had watched season 2of the TV show and I was blown away with how good it looked for an old game.

Looks awesome.

I'm more interested in Raytracing, I honestly don't think anyone should have any kind of high expectations though.
Yeah, judging from what they did with Cyberpunk on next-gen consoles I'm keeping my expectations in check.

Cyberpunk however was a heavy engine, it's likely the developers will have more headroom to play with when adding graphical features like ray-tracing to the Witcher 3. At the very least i think we'll get ray-traced shadows, and at a push maybe RT ambient occlusion or some type of global illumination but I'm pushing my luck here lol

fatmarco

I remember some FUD around launch that the XSX broke the game. Was that fixed or just not true?
It's not FUD, the last One X patch broke the global illumination systems shadows, so you have hard edged circles instead of soft shadows around buildings, cave entrances etc. It's obnoxious, and it affects the Series X too as its using the One X version.

Not game breaking per se, but absolutely does sour the game having something so simple to fix (was fine before last patch) not having been fixed for what, three years?

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It's not FUD, the last One X patch broke the global illumination systems shadows, so you have hard edged circles instead of soft shadows around buildings, cave entrances etc. It's obnoxious, and it affects the Series X too as its using the One X version.

Not game breaking per se, but absolutely does sour the game having something so simple to fix (was fine before last patch) not having been fixed for what, three years?
That’s only if you don’t have a hdr screen

DJ12

Just an FYI.

I think I picked this up for £4.99 a couple of months back, so if anyone is just waiting for the patch, probably best to wait until its cheaper.

This is from the ps store, maybe its never been that cheap on the xbox store?

This is the only thing I can find, the game loads so fast the world logic can't keep up and needs a second, but other than that it looks like it's perfectly fine in BC.

I found that it only loads too fast if you have it on the Insternal SSD. I installed it on an External SSD and it was perfect; loaded really fast, but not enough to cause problems. Maybe that changed since then as I tried out a lot of games at the SX’s launch, with the Witcher being one of the more impressive ones.

fatmarco

That’s only if you don’t have a hdr screen
Is that actually true? Does that fix the glitch? I only just got an HDR screen but if that's all it takes I might retry it.

For reference for everyone else, this is the glitch (images from Era):

ZvGfTIg.jpeg

NgrnhPE.jpeg

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Is that actually true? Does that fix the glitch? I only just got an HDR screen but if that's all it takes I might retry it.

For reference for everyone else, this is the glitch (images from Era):

ZvGfTIg.jpeg

NgrnhPE.jpeg
Yes I recently just upgraded from a 1080p tv to a 4K hdr and this issued disappeared

Top Bottom