• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vicious Circle; a cancelled arcade fighting game from Atari on the Jaguar...and other cancelled fighting games

VGEsoterica

I never celebrate a cancelled game...even in instances where you can 100% see WHY the game would have been cancelled in the first place. Vicious Circle fits that bill...as while it would have been highly interesting to see the game finished and released, once you play the prototype you can absolutely understand the writing on the wall and why the cancellation would have happened in the first place.

It's like the devs wanted to combine Killer Instinct with Mortal Kombat and hope to capitalize on the successes of those two games for their own benefit...but took the lesser parts of both series and combined THOSE together to get the "worst of both world" vs the best of them. Maybe a bit of Primal Rage 2 in their for good measure.

The game isn't without its charm or promise though...on a technical level its pretty solid for its era and the presentation of the game itself has some charm. Unfortunately the actual fighting game mechanics are just downright NOT GOOD...and that is basically the first thing you need to nail to have a fighting game become successful.

But as a history lesson on what could have been its an interesting look at a cancelled fighting game running on the Atari Jaguar arcade board. Which seemed to have more cancelled games for it than actually released games.

But GAF...what other cancelled fighting game prototypes do you have tucked up your sleeve? The Primal Rage 2's of the world

consoul

As Jaguar games go, this would have been one of the more visually impressive ones had it been completed.

As for other prototype fighters, the one I would have liked to see released is Fighting Layer 3DS. I love the original arcade version of Fighting Later and was hyped when Arika started showing off a 3DS successor.

gunstarhero

As Jaguar games go, this would have been one of the more visually impressive ones had it been completed.

As for other prototype fighters, the one I would have liked to see released is Fighting Layer 3DS. I love the original arcade version of Fighting Later and was hyped when Arika started showing off a 3DS successor.

Wow - never knew this was a thing! Love me some FEXL

Top Bottom