• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game companies you worry about?

Kokoloko85

Playstation - So so many mistakes in the last 4 years. Games have been amazing but they were all planned and started developing before these issues. After God of War Ragnarok, We’ll see what other stupid decisions Jim and Herman have been making when it comes to 1st party and 3rd party exclusives… I have a feeling its not gonna be good.

Nintendo - They are always 1 step away from Doom. Hybrid is the way for them, if they go for another home console only, it won’t end good for them.
And for their next hybrid they won’t have cheap Wii/Wii U games to port and make huge amounts of profit. They will need to do a bit more next gen and advance from there Gamecube/Wii/Wii U/Switch levels of minimal power upgrade.
Or they will go down the gimmick route again, and that could end up super good like the Wii or super shite Like the Wii U/Gamecube/N64 ( I love those consoles but commercially they didn’t do well enough for Nintendo )

Rockstar - Yeah 1 new game in like 13+ years. Not good for us gamers

Konami - Yo wheres the games at

Kokoloko85

Nintendo. I know this isn’t a popular opinion or something that’s even said often, but I personally believe they are doomed.

Nintendo is always 1 step away from disaster lol.
They have to be real careful next gen, they could go down the drain. or cement themselves as the Disney of video games where. Atm the die hard fans like myself will buy another mistake like the Wii U, but the everyday fan wont.
There not at that Apple/Disney level yet with there install base

Yeah pretty much all of them.

Sony's price hike on base games and recent hike on consoles is straight up anti consumer. They are desperate to get into MP gaming which means mtx. Any sense of brand loyalty from customers has been tossed out the window. The next 10 years could see a big shift for sony.

MS have the most consumer friendly offering but that's only supported by buckets of cash. Gamepass is still great but not as hot as it was especially with Sony's version and the fact that 1st parties may be day on but MS clearly have no intention of having 1st party output like Sony. Its becoming more obvious that gamepass is a shortcut to fuel mtx. Blizzard are one of the trendiest companies out there and MS seem fine with that and want them to join the family. I suspect jo changes will be made to blizzard if anything there monetization practice will be adapted across MS studios.

EA are fucked and live off 2 franchises, one of which has lost a lot of steam. They are scum.

Square are just lolz. Though I'm glad to hear them go back to Japanese games focus, the fear of nft/blockchain garbage is real.

Capcom will save us all! Only company making the games we ask for at a high level of quality.

DaGwaphics

I see this like people "worrying" when their favourite football team sells a good player or some shit, nobody is gonna lose sleep over this.

Also pretty bold to troll that while writing on an enthusiast gaming forum to begin with, don't you think?

I post on an enthusiast forum because I enjoy the medium and enjoy seeing the opinions of other users. And, to play armchair business man and maybe do some light trolling, of course. LOL

Not so much to worry about things, but like you said the word was probably used loosely here.

spons

Gold Member
Nintendo, for the sole reason that I have no idea how they can possibly follow-up to the Switch. Is it going to be backwards compatible? Maybe. If not, they have to start from scratch again unlike Sony and Microsoft. Yet if they don't, they can go AMD or with any other SoC, although leaks have shown they're working on DLSS support. With that in mind, they're probably going to play very safe - a Switch 2, with iterative hardware and full support for OG Switch games. But that worked like absolute ass for the Wii U, so good luck with that. All of it seems very conflicting.

Wohc

Banned
But that worked like absolute ass for the Wii U, so good luck with that. All of it seems very conflicting.
The Wii U was a marketing disaster. Many people thought it was just a midgen update for the Wii and not a new console. If they name it Switch 2 they shouldn't have those problems

I can't say I'm worried about any of them.

I was concerned about Rockstar but I have long gave up on them as it's so obvious what their direction will be with GTA VI. They were one of the best studios out and I really don't care about them anymore.

Also I suppose CD Projekt Red. I really hope they can recover from the backlash they got with Cyberpunk 2077. Personally, I thought it was a great game and the hate was overblown. I've played far worse games. I'm excited for the next Witcher game but some people will forever hold onto their anger of Cyberpunk and wish nothing but failure on CDPR.
They switched to Unreal Engine 5, so that means more people are familiar with the engine and they also have Epic games support so I suppose they can employ anyone and that person can start working on Witcher 4 out of blue. It may be good or not, it depends. Will see, I guess.

They switched to Unreal Engine 5, so that means more people are familiar with the engine and they also have Epic games support so I suppose they can employ anyone and that person can start working on Witcher 4 out of blue. It may be good or not, it depends. Will see, I guess.
True, that is encouraging. Red engine was fine for Witcher 3 and previous games. They tried to scale it up with Cyberpunk but you can see the limitations. Moving to UE5 will be a huge boost for them. With all these "remastered" and "remake" UE5 videos that anybody can make then yeah it's more accessible and it will be easier to hire people. That's not really what I was concerned about though. I hope people give CDPR a chance again when Witcher 4 comes out. I know a lot of people like Witcher so will be more forgiving but we all know what's coming after Witcher 4 and that's the Cyberpunk sequel.

GymWolf

I post on an enthusiast forum because I enjoy the medium and enjoy seeing the opinions of other users. And, to play armchair business man and maybe do some light trolling, of course. LOL

Not so much to worry about things, but like you said the word was probably used loosely here.
Of course, this is like another topic where people read other people opinions like many others, no one lose sleep over this shit, at worse we can be "worried" for some aspects of our favourite hobby but it really stops there.

DeepSpace5D

Aroused The Office GIF

True, that is encouraging. Red engine was fine for Witcher 3 and previous games. They tried to scale it up with Cyberpunk but you can see the limitations. Moving to UE5 will be a huge boost for them. With all these "remastered" and "remake" UE5 videos that anybody can make then yeah it's more accessible and it will be easier to hire people. That's not really what I was concerned about though. I hope people give CDPR a chance again when Witcher 4 comes out. I know a lot of people like Witcher so will be more forgiving but we all know what's coming after Witcher 4 and that's the Cyberpunk sequel.
It means even without original team which knew RED Engine in and out and new people struggled with it Witcher 4 may turn the tide on UE5. But will see, no day one buy from me without watching videos and proper honest reviews. I was one of those people which bought Cyberpunk day one without watching anything- because I trusted CDPR, never again. Hopefully there was a huge backlash in Poland and I could even return my opened disk copy so that was nice. And even if I didn't have my recipt and somehow I lost it, I could send the disk directly to CDPR and they would return my money.

Last edited:
I also worry about Rockstar but I'm not waiting for GTAVI, RDR3 would be nice though. We will see.

Any news on Dan's new studio?
Just the the name of the studio called "Absurd Ventures". No updates on what project they are working on. Meanwhile at Leslie's new studio, they released their teaser for "Everywhere". Getting a Ready Player One vibes from looking at it.

Labadal

SEGA and Atlus.

What do I worry about? Their shitty DLC practices.

SMTV DLC was greedy. Yakuza LAD job DLC was greedy. Soul Hackers 2 DLC is super greedy. Lost Judgment Season Pass felt too overpriced.

At this rate, I will not get their games until they go on sale. It's sad that it happens to game releases that I am really interested in.

Top Bottom