• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Esoterica - Martian Gothic : Unification | Survival Horror on Mars on PS1

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Martian Gothic is a very unique survival horror video game. It's one part Resident Evil and one part Resident Evil Zero...but it's wholly unique in it's own right. It's one of those retro gaming experiences that you need to play to understand! But it's definitely a PS1 era survival horror hidden gem!

Did you ever wonder what Resident Evil would be like if it has MORE puzzles and LESS combat? Well if so....here it is! Martian Gothic is very similar to Resident Evil Zero with the swappable playable characters except here it's done even better! It's classic survival horror gaming with a deep puzzle game element to it! Either way it's legit awesome and super obscure. Retrogaming win!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Martian Gothic: Unification is one of the more fascinating survival horror titles I've played. For all the wrong reasons.

A fever dream feels appropriate in describing my experience with Martian Gothic.

It's one of the many Resident Evil clones that popped up in the late 90s to early 2000s. Resident Evil on a Mars base is its unique spin. It's intriguing, engaging, plenty atmospheric with interesting ideas.

Of course, interesting ideas depend on the execution. Well, the execution of Martian Gothic is interesting, to say the least. Most of it is not positive.

Yet I can't help but be fascinated by Martian Gothic. Not in the sense that "it's so bad it's good". More about a small team biting off more than they can chew. They tried to write cheques they couldn't cash. Both from a figurative and literal standpoint - this would be the final game by developer Creative Reality. They shut down after its release.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Prelude
02:56 - Game Intro & The Three Amigos
06:23 - The Combat of Martian Gothic
08:15 - Limited Inventory Madness
11:37 - The Puzzle Logic of Martian Gothic
15:08 - The Near Game-Ender
16:03 - In Praise of Martian Gothic
19:57 - In Conclusion

Played a part of this game when I was actively looking for survival horror games...I vaguely remember it, not well enough to recall it but I do remember playing it

Top Bottom