• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game prequels that should exist

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yakuza 0 - Part 2.

There's still too much grey area to explore between 0 and 1.

Xbox One Yakuza GIF by Xbox

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Prequels are like extras to me, Yakuza Zero, Halo reach, MGS3 we’re fantastic sequels I wouldn’t mind a Breath of the Wild or Mass Effect prequel.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077

No not as Johnny Silver Hands, but remeber that cutscene at the start of the game designed to completely negate your starting faction choice and fast forward the game a year later to help explain why everyone's game works out essentially the same from that point on.

Yeah that bit, the bit that looks fun and cool where you go from literally nothing to owning an apartment with a full wardrobe and a kick ass car alongside Jackie.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A prequel to Pac-Man, where the wedge has yet to evolve. Just a lonely sad full circle rushing through corridors, full of pills but unable to eat them, haunted by ghosts of mistakes from the past.
Hey cool idea. I have a title already:

"I have no mouth and must eat balls".

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

An RE that revolves around Bravo Team right before, during, and after the Spencer Mansion incident. Getting more familiar with that team, etc.

It's honestly something I wish RE0 was. I feel like the possibilities would have been much cooler than anything we got with that. To lean more about the Bravo Team itself, play as the characters, maybe see other parts of Spencer Mansion, etc.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Hey GAF, what are some of your dream prequels in gaming?

For me:

DMC: Sparda prequel
Going all out stylish on demons and Mundus as Sparda himself would be so epic!

What about you GAF? What video game prequels would you like to play?

You already said the one I was gonna say OP. Devil May Cry 0 would be a fun ass game. Instead of automatic firearms perhaps he'd have more Bloodborne esque projectile weapons to combo off of, if not even more primitive like crossbows.

You already said the one I was gonna say OP. Devil May Cry 0 would be a fun ass game. Instead of automatic firearms perhaps he'd have more Bloodborne esque projectile weapons to combo off of, if not even more primitive like crossbows.
Well Sparda does have automatic firearms in Luce and Ombra, but the rest of his Devil Arms could be differentiated with what you said, crossbows and the like

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Mass Effect 0, where you see the inevitable destruction of Prometean power and culture against the Reaper onslaught. The final mission would have you racing against a clock to upload the Prometean knowledge to a safe location before all of your species is wiped out.

Lol, this would never fly, too much sad thoughts for special snowflakes.

Star-Lord

The Last of Us, with Joel pre-TLOU1.
How would that even work? Nothing happened to Joel whatsoever prior to TLOU1. He was just a normal living life. We saw the events unfold in the game as we played through them. A game based on Joel’s life before then would just be a life simulator, not a survival horror.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How would that even work? Nothing happened to Joel whatsoever prior to TLOU1. He was just a normal living life. We saw the events unfold in the game as we played through them. A game based on Joel’s life before then would just be a life simulator, not a survival horror.
What about the timeskip just after the prologue? They could explore that part, the start of the infection, and so on.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

What about the timeskip just after the prologue? They could explore that part, the start of the infection, and so on.
Well, that’s not exactly pre-TLOU1, if I were to be pedantic. But, yeah, I wouldn’t mind seeing the events that shaped Joel into the man we see in the main chunk of the game. Or, not exactly a prequel per se, more of a spin-off - the events of TLOU1, but from Tommy’s perspective.

Jada_Li

Banned
Already mentioned, but I too would be interested in an Horizon Zero Dawn prequel of when everything was normal and then everything goes haywire with the Faro machines. And see more into Elisbabet's and the others lives as well during that time.

Camreezie

Before the 20 years later skip about half an hour into the game. He makes reference to being on the other side of the ambushes half way through to

As a few have already said these, but I think these are slam dunks...

Mass Effect: First Contact War

Horizon game set during the machine war and start of project GAIA.

Last edited:
There were 20 unaccounted for years.

There was plenty of vague talks about the messed up stuff he and Tommy did to survive.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
And don't forget to add it to the timeline, because of course there is one. It was not an afterthought !

Downward Sheild will actually be the first and last game, as well as forming it's own timeline, and all taking place during a dream link had once in BOTW, about a dream he had at the start of ALTTP

Deerock71

And don't forget to add it to the timeline, because of course there is one. It was not an afterthought !
Well, this just deals with tween Link ditching class and learning how to snowboard on his shield. His nemesis would be the nigh-on flawless snowboarder Fo (a hot, flirty robot that's a little too perfect and creeps out the villagers), and they fight for ultimate supremacy on Death Mountain, which has a number of black diamond courses. Tired of taking ski lifts to the top, that crazy scientist fellow figures out a way to create anti-gravity, but in a HUGE lab mishap, he sends half the continent...WAIT FOR IT...skyward.

Bragr

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077

No not as Johnny Silver Hands, but remeber that cutscene at the start of the game designed to completely negate your starting faction choice and fast forward the game a year later to help explain why everyone's game works out essentially the same from that point on.

Yeah that bit, the bit that looks fun and cool where you go from literally nothing to owning an apartment with a full wardrobe and a kick ass car alongside Jackie.
Oh yeah, the part of the game we all thought we would play through that ended up being a 20-second cutscene.

Ulysses 31

Doom Eternal.

How did he go from being trapped and pulled to some place to having a sky fortress being able to warp anywhere?

arvfab

Banned
Well, that’s not exactly pre-TLOU1, if I were to be pedantic. But, yeah, I wouldn’t mind seeing the events that shaped Joel into the man we see in the main chunk of the game.
Yeah I meant his "dark years" after the prologue. It was hinted a few times that he wasn't really likeable.

Star-Lord

Yeah I meant his "dark years" after the prologue. It was hinted a few times that he wasn't really likeable.
Yeah, as I already stated, a game based around the time between the prologue and main game would be good, to see how Joel and Tommy became who we know them as. Or a game set around the same time frame, but with the focus being on the Fireflies.

Fluo

I wouldn't mind Devil May Cry prequel about Sparda's shenanigans.

Also, Dark Souls, it'd be cool to see Gwyn's Age of Fire as it starts collapsing.

1) A Fire Emblem game set in any of the background story wars talked about in the games' prologues/intermissions. By now, there's several examples, including the Scouring, the original Crusade, and the Legend of Anri the Great. Anri's would probably be interesting from a gameplay perspective since the legend makes it explicit he solo'd his quest, which sounds rather out there in the SRPG setting.
2) We got 1800's Ace Attorney. Now let's go to the 1700's and have an Ace Attorney up against the Salem Witch Trials. Or perhaps go even further back and have an Ace Attorney up against the Spanish Inquisition.
3) Seriously, Zelda, give us the REAL Imprisoning War already. Enough fakeouts, alternate timelines, and trying-our-damnedest-to-make-our-fanbase-forget-about-this-backstory.
4) Since I brought it up in another thread; make a revision to the first Street Fighter. Not exactly a full-on example here, but since the first game is so obsolete it'd basically need to be redone from the ground up, it'd work more or less.
Ninja Gaiden: Becoming Ryu Hayabusa.
I'm of the opinion that Ninja Gaiden's continuity is kind of a mess and it's better to treat the games as loosely-connected. In that regard, I'm not sure what a prequel would really bring to the table, especially when Tecmo can't be consistent on if the "modern" characters are the same as the NES-era counterparts. Or the DoA counterparts for that matter. (Yeah, Zelda has this same problem, but at least they put a key event in their timeline that people want way back in the day.)

Speaking of which, joke idea: DoA entry where all the girls are underage, so your player character gets arrested for coming into contact with them. Haaaahhhhhhh.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
1) A Fire Emblem game set in any of the background story wars talked about in the games' prologues/intermissions. By now, there's several examples, including the Scouring, the original Crusade, and the Legend of Anri the Great. Anri's would probably be interesting from a gameplay perspective since the legend makes it explicit he solo'd his quest, which sounds rather out there in the SRPG setting.
2) We got 1800's Ace Attorney. Now let's go to the 1700's and have an Ace Attorney up against the Salem Witch Trials. Or perhaps go even further back and have an Ace Attorney up against the Spanish Inquisition.
3) Seriously, Zelda, give us the REAL Imprisoning War already. Enough fakeouts, alternate timelines, and trying-our-damnedest-to-make-our-fanbase-forget-about-this-backstory.
4) Since I brought it up in another thread; make a revision to the first Street Fighter. Not exactly a full-on example here, but since the first game is so obsolete it'd basically need to be redone from the ground up, it'd work more or less.

I'm of the opinion that Ninja Gaiden's continuity is kind of a mess and it's better to treat the games as loosely-connected. In that regard, I'm not sure what a prequel would really bring to the table, especially when Tecmo can't be consistent on if the "modern" characters are the same as the NES-era counterparts. Or the DoA counterparts for that matter. (Yeah, Zelda has this same problem, but at least they put a key event in their timeline that people want way back in the day.)

Speaking of which, joke idea: DoA entry where all the girls are underage, so your player character gets arrested for coming into contact with them. Haaaahhhhhhh.
I mean, an origin story doesn't require continuity if the focus is on RYu, his coming of age and skill...relationship with his father, who died in the prologue of Ninja Gaiden Xbox. Did he have family other than that? Who was his mom, who was he trained by, what trials did he have to endure? There's a lot they can do with this, though, admittedly, storytelling isn't Itagaki's strong suit. Itagaki just needs to make it just a cool as the modern games. Leave the story telling to others.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
I mean - ya’ll saw that Peppa the Pig gameplay in that other thread? How could you not want to expand on the Peppa lore. How the talking pigs started, how they learned to dress, why they are British? That’s the answer here.

If not that, Gran Turismo 1 prequel, where you race on horse and buggies. Model A is the most expensive grail you can unlock. That’d be the JAM.

Also, in a serious answer, Dragon ball RPG (pre-Kakarot), maybe The Last Guardian, or Killzone.

Top Bottom