• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game prequels that should exist

EDMIX

Cyberpunk 2077

No not as Johnny Silver Hands, but remeber that cutscene at the start of the game designed to completely negate your starting faction choice and fast forward the game a year later to help explain why everyone's game works out essentially the same from that point on.

Yeah that bit, the bit that looks fun and cool where you go from literally nothing to owning an apartment with a full wardrobe and a kick ass car alongside Jackie.

The way that opening was rushed, it felt like a whole ass game was scraped to make CP2077 fit Johnny Silver.

You just meet Jackie, be like "Here is a montage of yo friendship instead of actual fucking content" lol So who knows what all that was, I feel it likely really was cut content. A prequel might as well be what the game should have been in the first place with you actually doing street kid stuff instead of a fucking speech tree option.

Show how he gets in gangs, hustling aka street kid stuff, meets Jackie.
Show how he gets into big corpro tech stuff....meets Jackie lol

So I'm not shocked you stated 2077 as I feel most of us are all questioning the game that could have been when they did that fast forward shit. That game had too many problems, missing features, content etc for me to buy that was simply a "montage" for lolz

EDMIX

How would that even work? Nothing happened to Joel whatsoever prior to TLOU1. He was just a normal living life. We saw the events unfold in the game as we played through them. A game based on Joel’s life before then would just be a life simulator, not a survival horror.

nah, they means the 20 years in between, like when Eugene, Tommy, Marlene and him were Fireflies.

As someone that beat the game 15 times trust me, everyone forgets that intro if it was some years.

You play Sara, she wakes him up to give him a gift, Tommy comes, the whole world is going crazy with zombie bites....things happen to Sara.

20 years later....

Game starts, you and Tess link up.

They are referring to that 20 years later gap. Even I forgot that when I replayed it before The Last Of Us 2 came out and I was like "oooohhhh yea" A whole war happens between FEDRA, Fireflies, WLF etc. I prequel can fill in lots of shit.

Last edited:
Ninja Gaiden: Becoming Ryu Hayabusa.

images
There already is a story for that

I want a retelling of mario and luigi getting lost in some pipes while plumbing in brooklyn and ending up in the mushroom kingdom .....with actual interesting designs and not the same bland mickey mouse design they used for 25 years.

* screw that yoshis island baby stuff...marios a middle aged italian bro from Brooklyn

NahaNago

Yeah, a devil may cry starring sparda is what I want as well. I always get confused on which dmc or DmC is that devil may cry game. Final Fantasy X prequel makes sense. A final fantasy 7 prequel that isn't crisis core but follows the story of Cloud. Just a straight up Final Fantasy 8 prequel instead of the flashbacks we get in FF8.

Spaceman292

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077

No not as Johnny Silver Hands, but remeber that cutscene at the start of the game designed to completely negate your starting faction choice and fast forward the game a year later to help explain why everyone's game works out essentially the same from that point on.

Yeah that bit, the bit that looks fun and cool where you go from literally nothing to owning an apartment with a full wardrobe and a kick ass car alongside Jackie.
That stuff is explained in the first cutscene. You live with Jackie's mum, shoot some people and wheel and deal and stuff and get money. What else do you need to know?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
images
There already is a story for that
Nah Nah Nah....That story seemed kinda concurrent. I'm talking like 12 year old Ryu Hayabusa, kicking bamboo trees with his shins and doing splits between rock crevices under a waterfall type shit. His father is thought to have died in the opening cutscene of NES Ninja Gaiden, but if you played through the game, the Jacquio actually enthralls his dad, and after beating the first part of the boss fight, Ryu finds out his dad was under The Jacquio's control. The fight breaks whatever hold he had Ryu's dad and in a final effort to save Ryu, his dad steps in the way of a energy blast that I assume finally finishes him off.

I don't know what happens after that, BECAUSE I CANNOT BEAT THE JACQUIO.

Literally part of the reason I bought a switch. Shit is impossible.

Last edited:
Nah Nah Nah....That story seemed kinda concurrent. I'm talking like 12 year old Ryu Hayabusa, kicking bamboo trees with his shins and doing splits between rock crevices under a waterfall type shit. His father is thought to have died in the opening cutscene of NES Ninja Gaiden, but if you played through the game, the Jacquio actually enthralls his dad, and after beating the first part of the boss fight, Ryu finds out his dad was under The Jacquio's control. The fight breaks whatever hold he had Ryu's dad and in a final effort to save Ryu, his dad steps in the way of a energy blast that I assume finally finishes him off.

I don't know what happens after that, BECAUSE I CANNOT BEAT THE JACQUIO.

Literally part of the reason I bought a switch. Shit is impossible.
I did that on one continue when i was 10..i prob couldnt anymore though. I think what you really want is a prequel game about Ryus dad.

Honestly what id love is a game that continues the 2D universe and storyline

I mean, an origin story doesn't require continuity if the focus is on RYu, his coming of age and skill...relationship with his father, who died in the prologue of Ninja Gaiden Xbox.
You mean the final cutscene of the NES game, right?
For that matter, Ryu's home village was burnt down in the Sega Master System Ninja Gaiden, yet no remnants of that are in the Xbox game.
See, this is why I said the continuity was a mess. Tecmo's attempts at melding the two together - especially attempting to retcon someone as having been Irene all along in spite of having NOTHING in common with her - just make more questions than answers.

Boss Mog

With the new Uncharted movie focusing on younger versions of Nate and Sully I wouldn't mind an Uncharted prequel featuring an early adventure of Nate and Sully.

qiqiqiiq

I recently played the Guardians of the Galaxy game and a lot of characters describe different events that sound way cooler than the ones you play, so yeah let me play that instead.

Fbh

If Sony ever goes back to Killzone I actually wouldn't mind seeing a prequel.

The buildup to the conflict that's the primary focus of the games is actually more interesting than the stuff we get to see/play

Top Bottom