• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game Soundtracks need to make a comeback

What musical genres do you want to see more of in modern AAA gaming?

• Rock

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Pop

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Hip-Hop/Rap

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Metal

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Jazz/Swing

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Ska

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Drum and Bass

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Chiptune

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Orchestral

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Electronic

Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters

SpokkX

i agree… most AAA games have boring hollywood soundtracks (uncharted, cod, horizon zd/fw etc) or unremarkable (elden ring, returnal)

There are a few exceptions these last years: Halo infinite ost is glorious and is really melodic. Ff7 remake was good (… but it is really remixes)..

Give me music like castlevania, metal gear (1-3), mega man, mana games etc

… Nintendo still delivers in this area however - almost every game still has great music

SpokkX

This was the one western game of late that even had a 'character theme' that I can think of. And it was really good.

This is a perfect example of…

The PROBLEM with modern game music. Keep this crap in your Tom Cruise movies please. Next thing you will say ass creed has amazing soundtracks too?

CosmicComet

This is a perfect example of…

The PROBLEM with modern game music. Keep this crap in your Tom Cruise movies please. Next thing you will say ass creed has amazing soundtracks too?
This is absolutely nothing like most soundtracks in other western games like god of war, which just have filler ambience.

That was a title drop worthy hummable melody.

I am surprised FF14 has still not been mentioned considering that's got such a high quantity of great tracks I am unsure which ones to post here as an example.

But here is a handful. Enjoy gaffers

One of the main themes

One of the standard area themes

One of the standard battle themes

One of the boss themes

And even chiptune tracks

kevm3

There are some generic soundtracks, especially that ambient stuff... but I feel like soundtracks have been as good as they've ever been. Triangle Strategy has one of the best osts I've ever heard as well as Octopath Traveler. Destiny Child is made by the people who are making Project Eve and although it is a mobile game, it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Mainstream games are trying to be more and more like interactive movies. Soundtracks are understandably going to be more movie-like as a consequence.

You’re not going to get what you’re looking for in most AAA games.

CosmicComet

There are some generic soundtracks, especially that ambient stuff... but I feel like soundtracks have been as good as they've ever been. Triangle Strategy has one of the best osts I've ever heard as well as Octopath Traveler. Destiny Child is made by the people who are making Project Eve and although it is a mobile game, it has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

I have no idea what Project Eve is but that song was awesome. So jazzy and upbeat. Reminds me of the first Ju Jutsu Kaisen ending credits theme.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

listening to that gave me heavy gran turismo vibes

saintjules

Out of all the soundtracks I've heard over the years I've never heard something so diverse as Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha's. It's absolute brilliance in every form.

Why do games and soundtracks go backwards as they progress through time for a franchise?

Last edited:
Out of all the soundtracks I've heard over the years I've never heard something so diverse as Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha's. It's absolute brilliance in every form.

Why do games and soundtracks go backwards as they progress through time for a franchise?

7c6.jpg

Jinzo Prime

Seriously, look up "Mario Kart lick" on Youtube. Lots of love for the skillful jazz instrumentation on display by the band Dimension on that track. Xenoblade has a track called "Shadow of the Lowlands" by Yasunori Mituda and real music group ANÚNA that is haunting and beautiful. Mick Gordon invented a sub-genre of metal for Doom and a 'Heavy Metal Chior' for Doom Eternal. Look up Mario Odyssey behind the scenes for the OST. Luncheon Kingdom's theme is played on f'ing spoons and forks!

Don't you dare say videogame music is dead when so much passion and talent is put into so many tracks I love. You just have to look in the right places (and buy a Switch lol!)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

just reviving this thread to say that Shredder's Revenge and Neon White are the type of music i'd want in a game. Tee lopes is a fucking mastermind

Didn't know there else to put this, but...

... I checked my Spotify just now, and the Tekken soundtracks are all gone. Not sure if it's a "just me" probablem, but I don't think so because soundtracks from other game developers that I listen to are there just fine.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I checked my Spotify just now, and the Tekken soundtracks are all gone. Not sure if it's a "just me" probablem, but I don't think so because soundtracks from other game developers that I listen to are there just fine.
YEESH. Rip, dude. hope this is temporary and they get back up sooner than later

YEESH. Rip, dude. hope this is temporary and they get back up sooner than later
Yeah really.

Do you (or anyone reading this) know if this sort of unavailability of previously available tracks is something that happens from time to time?

EDIT: I don't like YouTube because of all the ads. (They really are very intrusive). If the Tekken (specifically, Tekken 2) tracks are truly gone from Spotify, I'd have to buy the CDs on eBay, which -- when I last checked 3 years ago -- were going for $30 each.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah really.

Do you (or anyone reading this) know if this sort of unavailability of previously available tracks is something that happens from time to time?

EDIT: I don't like YouTube because of all the ads. (They really are very intrusive). If the Tekken (specifically, Tekken 2) tracks are truly gone from Spotify, I'd have to buy the CDs on eBay, which -- when I last checked 3 years ago -- were going for $30 each.
theyre going for over a hundred bucks now
for the older games at least

theyre going for over a hundred bucks now
for the older games at least
Holy shit, just checked and... Yup. RIP to me indeed 😂

The only options left are sign up for the YouTube service (which I refuse to do) or... Sail the high seas. Which I in general don't like doing, especially for stuff like this that SHOULD be easily available.

I remember when GTA 1 had an original soundtrack back in 3400 B.C. back in the olden days. Especially when you went in the standard Blue Car "HEY BABY WOOOO! OUTTA SIGHT!"

Now it's celebrities and licensed stuff.

Top Bottom