• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: How Gyroscopic/Motion Controls can improve the Controller

Although the video is kind of on the older side (2019), it still raises many valid pros of Gyro Aiming on controllers!

Here are some of the key points:

-joystick aiming typically relies on dev. tricks like aim assist and bullet snapping to achieve more accuracy
-mouse and keyboard is more accurate for aiming because it doesn't rely on the above tricks
-gryo aiming is a "best of both worlds" approach because it combines the form factor of the controller with the aiming precision of the M&K
-gyro aiming is NOT the gimmicks like Wiimote waggle which is imprecise but has utility in games such as aiming precisely in action games, or tilt steering in racing games, or game building in Dreams, etc.

There are alot more points in the video, and I'm not even done watching it myself XD But I agree with alot of what he said, especially being able to use the Steam controller to fix sluggish-feeling controller console PC ports. You can assign M&K setups to the controller and then assign gyro aiming to the mouse input which makes a night-and-day difference with aiming, can confirm myself because I'm an avid Steam controller fan and for me, The Evil Within is essentially unplayable for me on the PS4 due to the lack of gyro aim. On PC, I got that option and my gyro aiming configuration for the Steam controller is butter smooth combined with dat 144hz screen on my gaming laptop!

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
People denying gyro’s usefulness in aiming (and more) and conflating it with Wii waggle are holding gaming back.
Even the Wii’s pointer was a better solution than dual aiming, anyway.

But now I’ll leave the stage to the dozens of people who will say dual aiming is perfectly fine because of reasons.

Last edited:

Boglin

People denying gyro’s usefulness in aiming (and more) and conflating it with Wii waggle are holding gaming back.
Even the Wii’s pointer was a better solution than dual aiming, anyway.

But now I’ll leave the stage to the dozens of people who will say dual aiming is perfectly fine because of reasons.
If a popular cross-platform game like CoD allowed gyro aiming on PS4/PS5 then I wonder if the control scheme would finally gain some traction since it would give a competitive advantage

Unfortunately even on PC getting the gyro working well often requires tweaking for each game. Sometimes there is simultaneous mouse and controller input, sometimes there isn't. Sometimes workarounds are needed, especially with non-Steam games. And in a few cases (RE7) it simply won't work no matter what I do. So universal support on consoles would be super nice, but I think it's a pipe dream at this point.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gyro aiming can improve controllers by dying in a fire, never to return. Keep it away from my games forever, thank-you.

That's a super dumb take. It's fine that you don't like it (although it is really good for fine-tuning your aim), but I don't know of any game with gyro aiming that forces you to use it (Wiimote aiming is something different, and that isn't a thing anymore anyway).

Gyro aiming can improve controllers by dying in a fire, never to return. Keep it away from my games forever, thank-you.
GlAZtUR.jpg

Top Bottom