• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame Cross-Promotions

So I was walking around the local mall here and stumbled upon this new collaboration between Diablo Immortal x BK.

omVz7f3.jpg

What stood out to me is that this is the first time I can recall a *Western* made videogame being promoted in this way in Japan. Happens all the time with Japanese IP's, whether it was Dragon Quest themed chicken nuggets at LAWSON, Dragon Ball energy drinks, Final Fantasy collabs every time a new game drops or myriad more. Other Western *non-gaming* IP get similar treatment, most recently Minions had a limited time flavour at Baskin Robbins (or "31" as it's known here) to promote the latest movie, Disney collabs are always popular.

I imagine a Japanese marketplace with an ever-increasing shift towards mobile gaming (yes, it's depressing) made something like this possible. I am curious about similar gaming cross-promotions in other regions of the world. Anything that really stood out or that you found particularly interesting? Pics/media links are very much welcome!

Last edited:
Not sure if this is what your looking for, but this was a crazy promo..

Absolutely what I'm looking for, thanks for sharing, I'd never seen it before lol. I'm particularly interested in other regions though, this stuff is commonplace in Japan but I don't recall seeing similar stuff during my years living in Canada and Europe.

Mr Hyde

Not technically a video game but it is Final Fantasy and it was directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi. The main character Aki of Spirits Within movie, featured in Maxim magazines Hot 100.

VmMACfW.jpg

I remember Lara Croft did plenty of these collaborations too, with various non gaming magazines.

And here is cereal company Kelloggs doing a Super Mario promotion.

iWLqSXt.jpg
I knew this thread would bring back some long forgotten memories. When I was a kid in Canada I distinctly remember Super Mario Bros 3 gummies being sold in the supermarket, same pic of Mario in his tanooki suit flying through the air plastered on the box. What's more, they were actually quite delicious lol.

And the Maxim pic you posted reminded me of Lara Croft having something similar in one of these mags 👍

EDIT: oh shit, found a pic on IMGUR, ah nostalgia

https://imgur.io/r/nintendo/wVQPBnd

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I knew this thread would bring back some long forgotten memories. When I was a kid in Canada I distinctly remember Super Mario Bros 3 gummies being sold in the supermarket, same pic of Mario in his tanooki suit flying through the air plastered on the box. What's more, they were actually quite delicious lol.

And the Maxim pic you posted reminded me of Lara Croft having something similar in one of these mags 👍

EDIT: oh shit, found a pic on IMGUR, ah nostalgia

https://imgur.io/r/nintendo/wVQPBnd

Threads like these are very fun. I always raise my eyebrows every time I see video games outside their natural habit.

Top Bottom