• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vikings: Valhalla first trailer NETFLIX (Set 100 years after original)

cormack12

Gold Member
EXPECT SPOILERS FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES

Set 100 years after the events of Vikings, Valhalla stars Sam Corlett as Leif Eriksson, the famed explorer who, according to Viking lore, sailed to North America five centuries before Christopher Columbus. (Though, in the flagship series, Floki [Gustaf Skarsgard] and Ubbe [Jordan Patrick Smith] journeyed there a century before even that.)

Vikings: Valhalla will chronicle the adventures of other legendary Vikings from history, including Freydis Eriksdotter (Frida Gustavsson) Harald Hardrada (Leo Suter), and the Norman King William the Conqueror, a descendant of Rollo (Clive Standen). Rounding out the cast are Laura Berlin as the ambitious Emma of Normandy, Bradley Freegard as the Danish King Canute, Johannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Harald’s half-brother Olaf; David Oakes as the English counselor Earl Godwin, Caroline Henderson as the Kattegat Jarl Haakon, Pollyanna McIntosh as the Danish Queen Ælfgifu, and Asbjorn Krogh Nissen (Bron) is Jarl Kåre.

Peggies

Gold Member
Hell yeah!

All In Meme GIF

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Vikings: Valhalla will chronicle the adventures of other legendary Vikings from history, including Harald Hardrada (Leo Suter), and the Norman King William the Conqueror,

I'll give them Harald Hardrada as he was a king of Norway at the end of the viking age, but saying William the Conqueror was a viking is really pushing it.

Anyway, hard pass from me. Vikings is probably the most historically inaccurate TV series ever made. This looks to be keeping that tradition.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'll give them Harald Hardrada as he was a king of Norway at the end of the viking age, but saying William the Conqueror was a viking is really pushing it.

Anyway, hard pass from me. Vikings is probably the most historically inaccurate TV series ever made. This looks to be keeping that tradition.
They aren't saying that William the conqueror was a Viking but that it will follow famous vikings and also the Norman king.

Great Hair

Banned
Enjoyed the first 4 seasons more than Game of Thrones, but then they replaced the cast with nobodies for season 5 and ... to this day, I'm pissed about it. I did not watch it when it aired for the first time, no clue what happened between season 4 and 5 ...

This one looks like a scholar pretending to be tough viking with pubes as a beard. That´s already a no go. Travis Fimmel was just the perfect fit for the role.

tough idc GIF

I don't understand this. Most of the cast in the first four seasons were ALSO "nobodies" initially. I had no idea who the actors playing Ragnar, Ecbert, Rollo, Floki, or Lagertha were before I watched this show.

That is correct, but out of the water pretty much every character except "former king" were good, fit the role. Finding out they made a season 5 with different people was a shock. Prolly because of it, i never really accepted the change.

It´s like changing everyone from Friends, and replace them with new ones.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I need this to tie in with The Last Kingdom and AC:Valhalla for a viking nerdsplosion :)

So I take it we will see the battle of Hastings? First ep or end of season 1?

Batiman

Banned
I got into this show really late. Started watching it last year. Started off great but slowly got boring as it went on. Still decent overall though

Enjoyed the first 4 seasons more than Game of Thrones, but then they replaced the cast with nobodies for season 5
I don't understand this. Most of the cast in the first four seasons were ALSO "nobodies" initially. I had no idea who the actors playing Ragnar, Ecbert, Rollo, Floki, or Lagertha were before I watched this show.

I, like probably about 90% of the fans of the show, thought the show lost a serious amount of presence and charisma when Ragnar, Ecbert, and Athelstan were done after Season 4 (obviously Athelstan was done before that...). But I still think the show had some merit and some intrigue after that: Ivar was a captivating character, the actor did a great job with the material, and the whole "Rus Viking"/medieval Russia storyline was kind of cool.

The rest of the sons of Ragnar did pretty well with what they had to work with, too. I think the way they exhibited one dimensional but "heightened/exaggerated" aspects of Ragnar was really well done:

- Bjorn was the tough, warrior-king Ragnar.
- Ubbe was the "young," exploration and farm based Ragnar. He fucking looked a lot like young Ragnar, too.
- Hvitserk was "lost"/drugged out Ragnar
- Ivar was of course the cunning, ruthless Ragnar, the one Ragnar most saw as his direct successor. A lot of episodes with Ivar were fun, the dude had god-tier military strategy.

Anyway point being that not all was lost after Season 4. There were a lot of great moments even if the attention had to be scattered across Ragnar's sons instead of being solely focused on him.

bitbydeath

- Bjorn was the tough, warrior-king Ragnar.
- Ubbe was the "young," exploration and farm based Ragnar. He fucking looked a lot like young Ragnar, too.
- Hvitserk was "lost"/drugged out Ragnar
- Ivar was of course the cunning, ruthless Ragnar, the one Ragnar most saw as his direct successor. A lot of episodes with Ivar were fun, the dude had god-tier military strategy.
And Sigurd, the emotionally invested one?

Armorian

Banned
Entire Vikings Series and Lost Kingdom
God of War 2018
Vinland Saga 2019
Assassin's Creed Valhalla 2020
God of War Ragnarok 2022
Vikings: Valhalla 2022

Seems like overdose of norse things

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes! I couldn’t get myself to finish the last season due to Ivar pissing me off beyond measure.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Entire Vikings Series and Lost Kingdom
God of War 2018
Vinland Saga 2019
Assassin's Creed Valhalla 2020
God of War Ragnarok 2022
Vikings: Valhalla 2022

Seems like overdose of norse things

This is what happens when people complain about too much World War II centric media.

j0hnnix

It's vikings , I'm in. One small scene threw me off in the trailer but I'll wait before I make my assumptions of the show.

Hari Seldon

I'll give it a shot. I fell off on Vikings after Ragnar died. Lost Kingdoms is amazing throughout all the released seasons so far.

RaptorGTA

Is the original Viking worth watching? I remember when it first came out and it seem like a weird knockoff of Game of Thrones. Then heard it was better. How does it hold up overall?

NickFire

Is the original Viking worth watching? I remember when it first came out and it seem like a weird knockoff of Game of Thrones. Then heard it was better. How does it hold up overall?
It holds up well and actually just finished recently. There is a point where the story somewhat shifts and became less interesting to me, but I would still recommend the entire series.

Anyway, hard pass from me. Vikings is probably the most historically inaccurate TV series ever made. This looks to be keeping that traditi
EXPECT SPOILERS FROM THE ORIGINAL SERIES

Set 100 years after the events of Vikings, Valhalla stars Sam Corlett as Leif Eriksson, the famed explorer who, according to Viking lore, sailed to North America five centuries before Christopher Columbus. (Though, in the flagship series, Floki [Gustaf Skarsgard] and Ubbe [Jordan Patrick Smith] journeyed there a century before even that.)

Vikings: Valhalla will chronicle the adventures of other legendary Vikings from history, including Freydis Eriksdotter (Frida Gustavsson) Harald Hardrada (Leo Suter), and the Norman King William the Conqueror, a descendant of Rollo (Clive Standen). Rounding out the cast are Laura Berlin as the ambitious Emma of Normandy, Bradley Freegard as the Danish King Canute, Johannes Haukur Jóhannesson as Harald’s half-brother Olaf; David Oakes as the English counselor Earl Godwin, Caroline Henderson as the Kattegat Jarl Haakon, Pollyanna McIntosh as the Danish Queen Ælfgifu, and Asbjorn Krogh Nissen (Bron) is Jarl Kåre.

Hopefully they go into more depth on the brutal slavery side of the Vikings instead of kidnap a Priest who actually loves the slave life.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hopefully they go into more depth on the brutal slavery side of the Vikings instead of kidnap a Priest who actually loves the slave life.

Highly doubt it. For that they'd need to go down the historical accuracy route, but I can't see them doing that. That's already clear from the trailer.

It's a real shame as well. No lies here, but a TV series/film based on the viking age that was as historically accurate as possible would be a hell of a lot more entertaining.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks cool. I loved the first 4 seasons of Vikings. One of my favorite shows ever. Travis Fimmel was too good though and when Ragnar died I lost interest pretty quick.

Top Bottom