• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

alittlelove

Neo Member
Not sure where else to ask this question...

I finally started Steins Gate after picking it up about a year ago, but I'm finding it really hard to get through even Chapter 1. There are some interesting bits, but so far most of it features the most irritating set of characters I've had to read in a VN and a whole lot of otaku bullshit borderline harassment scenes. This game is almost universally recommended, so... what am I missing here?

Not sure where else to ask this question...

I finally started Steins Gate after picking it up about a year ago, but I'm finding it really hard to get through even Chapter 1. There are some interesting bits, but so far most of it features the most irritating set of characters I've had to read in a VN and a whole lot of otaku bullshit borderline harassment scenes. This game is almost universally recommended, so... what am I missing here?
There's a sizable amount of buildup before the really lauded part of the VN comes in. Give it some more time, the whole otaku bullshit is cut down (for the most patt) after a point.

alittlelove

Neo Member
There's a sizable amount of buildup before the really lauded part of the VN comes in. Give it some more time, the whole otaku bullshit is cut down (for the most patt) after a point.

How much more to go? I've never wanted to punch a main character more than Okabe tbh, so I'm hoping it does get better soon.

How much more to go? I've never wanted to punch a main character more than Okabe tbh, so I'm hoping it does get better soon.
Depends on why you want to punch him.

Chapter 3/4 is, as I roughly recall, where the plot starts to get interesting. The whole El Psy Kongroo shtick is going to remain throughout much of the novel (can't remember if it goes away). As for the more otaku side of things, it fades into the background once the plot gets going and only pops up in one particularly egregious scene quite late in the game.

Hexa

So I just finished Danganronpa 2's story mode, and within a single weekend like I wanted to. :p
Will do IF, Island Mode, and Usami next weekend.

Thoughts (minor spoilers):
Being in a really large location was cool at first, but as it went on it felt like it was too big and most places weren't really used. Game play wise I thought that the new additions to class trials weren't that great. Logic Dive was fine, but the Blade thing, the "improved" Hangman's Gambit, and the new climax thing were all more annoying than their alternative without any real benefit imo. Cast wise I thought it was about as good as the first game, but the daily life aspects weren't as interesting as in the previous game. The mysteries were all solid though. The overall mystery had very little even hinted at before the last chapter where everything was explained, so I think that made it feel more like things were dragging on at times. But holy hell was that one incredible ending. Took everything from the previous game and built upon it incredibly well while also taking things to a whole new level in a lot of ways. God damn...

Aizo

Banned
Hello, VNgaf. I would like some help finding a good vn.

I’d like to play one in Japanese, with most lines voiced, preferably not eroge, and on Android. Is there anything of high quality that follows those restrictions?

I haven’t played many VNs, as the themes, character designs, or plot sometimes scare me away. Something that’s not super anime in tone or performance would be nice. No moe.

If I was too strict, just in Japanese, good, and on Android.

I’d like to play one in Japanese, with most lines voiced, preferably not eroge, and on Android. Is there anything of high quality that follows those restrictions?

I haven’t played many VNs, as the themes, character designs, or plot sometimes scare me away. Something that’s not super anime in tone or performance would be nice. No moe.

Try Steins;Gate or Chaos;Head Noah.
I know for sure those are on the JP Play Store but I don't know many others.
Did the mobile 999 port get released in Japan?

BTA

I really wouldn’t reccomend C;H at all, in general but especially given the criteria, and even S;G might fit “super anime”... But I’d say S;G might work still, yeah.

999’s probably a more fitting choice despite my feelings about the mobile version, though I don’t think that’s voiced?

Just as a fair warning, those two have somewhat lackluster ports on the Android side of things. Low resolution, missing facial animations, who knows what else.

Chaos;Child is apparently a great port, but it's still rather expensive since it's new.

Just as a fair warning, those two have somewhat lackluster ports on the Android side of things. Low resolution, missing facial animations, who knows what else.

Chaos;Child is apparently a great port, but it's still rather expensive since it's new.
Hmm. :/ that's a shame especially for S;G cause Huke's art is so entrancing.

Aizo

Banned
I’ve played 999, Phoenix Wright, and Christine Love’s games mostly. Steins Gate would be in the super anime camp for me, due to the way many characters talk. I’d like to avoid those at this moment, and I actually got that for free on Japanese ps+.

Shizuka

Banshee's Last Cry.

aravuus

Banshee's Last Cry.

Oh my god. I remember lamenting the fact that this was never released for Android.

Now I've finally got an iPad and guess what? Looks like this thing never got the 64-bit update, cause I can't find it on the app store. Unbelievable.

Shizuka

Wow. I had no idea that was the English title for Kamaitachi no Yoru. Which one are you recommending? I guess all the Chunsoft sound novels would kinda fit the bill if only they had voices.

Whichever one you find, I’m not sure which ones were released for the Android in Japan. They’re all pretty good.

Oh my god. I remember lamenting the fact that this was never released for Android.

Now I've finally got an iPad and guess what? Looks like this thing never got the 64-bit update, cause I can't find it on the app store. Unbelievable.

The app has been removed months ago, which is a bummer since I was waiting for a sale myself after buying on another account that got banned by Apple.

aravuus

Whichever one you find, I’m not sure which ones were released for the Android in Japan. They’re all pretty good.

The app has been removed months ago, which is a bummer since I was waiting for a sale myself after buying on another account that got banned by Apple.

Ohh I see. I guess it makes me feel a bit better, knowing it's not just me who got fucked, it's everyone.

Well, no it doesn't.

BTA

Yeah I was racking my brain to try to remember if it was somehow used anywhere inside the game.

“Answer arcs” is kinda bad (why not just translate “chiru”?) but trying to make it more clearly tied to Higurashi’s format makes sense I guess.

Randomly popping in to say that I friggin' love Stein's Gate so damn much and even after all this time listening to the ost gives me chills.

Thinking back it almost feels like I was there in that lab.
I was so invested
in Okabe's struggle to save Mayuri and became so attached to Kurisu because through that feeling of isolation caused by the fact that nobody else was aware of what was going on, she was a beacon you could always rely on. And then when Okabe is about to finally reach his goal she casually mentions that he's about to go back to the timeline where he was spouting nonsense about her being murdered and your mind goes KAPLOW!!!
And Daru is such a bro, he's so awkward but also endearing and always comes through when it matters most.

Stein's Gate is a fucking masterpiece ladies and gentlemen.
Slow start? Embrace it, absorb every detail, take in every character's quirks, it all matters, cherish every moment and then, when it's all over, remember it fondly, like a happy memory of times gone by.

OceanBlue

I've only played a few minutes of Chaos;Child but the editing doesn't seem very amazing. Hopefully it gets better but a lot of sentences don't sound very natural.

Aters

I would appreciate it a lot if White Album 2 Closing Chapter does not introduce so many new girls. What's the point really? This is not a story about these "side characters".

Randomly popping in to say that I friggin' love Stein's Gate so damn much and even after all this time listening to the ost gives me chills.

Thinking back it almost feels like I was there in that lab.
I was so invested
in Okabe's struggle to save Mayuri and became so attached to Kurisu because through that feeling of isolation caused by the fact that nobody else was aware of what was going on, she was a beacon you could always rely on. And then when Okabe is about to finally reach his goal she casually mentions that he's about to go back to the timeline where he was spouting nonsense about her being murdered and your mind goes KAPLOW!!!
And Daru is such a bro, he's so awkward but also endearing and always comes through when it matters most.

Stein's Gate is a fucking masterpiece ladies and gentlemen.
Slow start? Embrace it, absorb every detail, take in every character's quirks, it all matters, cherish every moment and then, when it's all over, remember it fondly, like a happy memory of times gone by.

Yep... I feel the same as you -
perhaps it would be nice to go back in time and play it again but it's kind of hard to not feel a bit reluctant considering just how much of a mess that same thought leaves Okabe in haha
. It's a real treasure and such a well done, tight, and engaging story. So many memories and like you say the OST is excellent too.

Yep... I feel the same as you -
perhaps it would be nice to go back in time and play it again but it's kind of hard to not feel a bit reluctant considering just how much of a mess that same thought leaves Okabe in haha
. It's a real treasure and such a well done, tight, and engaging story. So many memories and like you say the OST is excellent too.

Brofist!

Still haven't played 0. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions and I'm worried it might ruin the whole thing for me, though I'm guessing people who say that are exaggerating.
Have you played it? I'd like to hear your opinion if you have.

Shoyz

Whichever one you find, I'm not sure which ones were released for the Android in Japan. They're all pretty good.

Might want to double-check, if not on ios11 yet. I couldn't find it some months back, but was able to redownload it sometime between ios11 beta and the official release.
Updated before remembering to play it though, 'doh. 64bit it isn't.

^Steins;Gate 0 felt a bit like an unnecessary extension and being a ~midquel doesn't have a super satisfying conclusion, but it's absolutely worth playing and enjoyable.

BTA

Hey folks. I appreciated talking to y'all about these games; if you want to contact me (particularly if a Discord does form, as I'd like to be invited), feel free to quote this post.

Otherwise I'd be interested in continuing discussion over at sites like Waypoint, maybe.

Top Bottom