• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Novels Community Thread | A Little Something for Everyone

jonjonaug

If nobody makes a discord in the next couple minutes while I'm grabbing posts I will even if it's quick and dirty.

Meh, I'll do it. PM me for invite links.

EDIT: PMs are once every ten minutes so it may be slow

EDIT again: If you PM me your discord ID I can just send it to you directly over that

jonjonaug

Turns out I can't message you over Discord if you're not in a shared server (or if you are, you have your settings set to block non-friends).

You can also try PMing Jazz if I can't get to you on Discord and things are taking a while.

killatopak

Gold Member
Turns out I can't message you over Discord if you're not in a shared server (or if you are, you have your settings set to block non-friends).

You can also try PMing Jazz if I can't get to you on Discord and things are taking a while.

are they the settings on privacy and safety? I set them to accept everyone.

Edit: I got added,

jonjonaug

I believe at this point I've gotten around to everyone who's asked for an invite either through PMs or through Discord or through the thread. If I missed you, or if there's someone not on the server you think should be on there, please send me a PM or message me through Discord.

Ancirawr

I'd love an invite too! I've loved reading comments here even though I'm often too shy to post because I'm still a junior :X I'll send a PM too :)

Mathrin

Just picked up 999 and VLR on PS4 for £19 and started 999. I had it on. A flashcart a good 6 or 7 years ago and never appreciated Graphic Novel Games. Obviously given my avatar that all changed for me with Danganronpa.

I’m so so late to this party (especially given all that’s gone down) but I’m psyched to see how the other side of Spike Chunsoft goes!

decisions

Just picked up 999 and VLR on PS4 for £19 and started 999. I had it on. A flashcart a good 6 or 7 years ago and never appreciated Graphic Novel Games. Obviously given my avatar that all changed for me with Danganronpa.

I’m so so late to this party (especially given all that’s gone down) but I’m psyched to see how the other side of Spike Chunsoft goes!

I don't like VLR or ZTD nearly as much but 999 (PS4 ver.) is without a doubt one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. Enjoy it!

Mathrin

I don't like VLR or ZTD nearly as much but 999 (PS4 ver.) is without a doubt one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. Enjoy it!

Resurrection ahoy.

I would agree with you completely. Not played ZTD yet - but I am not enjoying VLR anywhere near as much as I did 999. Infact, the puzzles seem deliberately obtuse to increase playtime, is opposed to making the story coherent. I've actually given up on it now as I just couldn't get myself to like it.

Compare that to 999 where the voice acting was utterly top notch and the whole ending was just fantastic.

NovumAngel

Banned
A couple of VN's have popped up on Steam for anyone still around:

This one is currently only in Chinese/Japanese but they're supposed to be adding English/French soon

NovumAngel

Banned
^^ Cool, I'll check these out! Did you like these games?
Haha sorry I haven't played these games, I just posted them for anyone else reading the thread.

A couple came out this week if you are a Vita gamer, Root Double was released on the US PSN, and Hakouki Edo Blossoms was released on Tuesday in the US and tomorrow in EU.

JohannCK

I didn't know this was releasing today, but Urban legend : Shin Hayarigami – Blindman has been added to the app store. Horror VN that's supposed to be good and it only cost €3.09.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iplay.blindEng&hl=en

Shin Hayarigami is bad.

I'm a fan of the original Hayarigami games, and they actually did manage to get Shin Hayarigami 2 somewhat right, but Shin 1 is an absolute disaster.

You might be able to enjoy it more if you know nothing about the other games- It's not supposed to be horror but an X-Files style suspense investigation series with urban legends instead of aliens as the main theme- But even if you ignore its association with the rest of the series it's still pretty bad as a standalone game because most of the "horror" is "look, gore!". There's no mystery elements at all because the answers to all of the questions are either something that the player has no chance of guessing until it's revealed or straight up nonsense. They also advertised it as involving urban legends before release but it has almost nothing to do with urban legends at all, instead just having generic serial killers and a zombie apocalypse.

Also those app releases sell the routes of the game separately, and each route is pretty short (it's been some time since I played it but they're maybe 2-3 hours each IIRC).

In Japan the entire game (consisting of nine routes) can be bought used on Amazon for 1200 yen (€9).

Last edited:

NovumAngel

Banned
Hello
yeah i've played those. Im looking for a more traditional VN
Sent from my Motorola RAZR
How about the science adventure series? (Steins;Gate, Chaos;Child, etc.)
Root Letter wasn't too bad.
There's a PsychoPass VN that was on Plus a couple of months ago, I didn't like it too much but others thought more highly of it.

Last edited:

wei123

Neo Member
Hi everyone! I've recently joined this community and am surprised to see that there are so many visual novel fans out here, considering that visual novels are a niche medium. I've played quite a fair share of visual novels so if you want any recommendations, you can ask me :)

P.S Here's my vndb list of all the visual novels I've played/am playing/stalled.

Since Vita is getting Muv-luve is there much that would be lost due to censorship ?

Also I'm finishing If my heart had wings and I've got to say that one has really good writing and story for a more romantic vn.

wei123

Neo Member
Since Vita is getting Muv-luve is there much that would be lost due to censorship ?

Also I'm finishing If my heart had wings and I've got to say that one has really good writing and story for a more romantic vn.
If the Vita version will be like the Steam version, there will be one H-scene removed (not really important) and another H-scene having completely redrawn CGs due to the somewhat disturbing nature of it. Besides those 2 scenes, everything else is uncensored, including the gore.

NovumAngel

Banned
If the Vita version will be like the Steam version, there will be one H-scene removed (not really important) and another H-scene having completely redrawn CGs due to the somewhat disturbing nature of it. Besides those 2 scenes, everything else is uncensored, including the gore.
How is it in terms of nudity? It's the only thing I'm on the fence about it atm

wei123

Neo Member
Not much. The 18+ version only has 2 scenes while the all-ages version has none

My apologies. This is for Muv Luv Alternative, which is the sequel to Muv Luv.

The prequel,Muv Luv, is split into 2 story arcs: Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Unlimited. If I can recall correctly, both arcs have 1 h-scene each for each route but the scenes aren't important so the all-ages version removes those scenes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
My apologies. This is for Muv Luv Alternative, which is the sequel to Muv Luv.

The prequel,Muv Luv, is split into 2 story arcs: Muv Luv Extra and Muv Luv Unlimited. If I can recall correctly, both arcs have 1 h-scene each for each route but the scenes aren't important so the all-ages version removes those scenes.

How did they handle the specific H-scene in Alternative? I remember that one being a very horrifying shock seeing and it worked to the benefit of the game. Never got to play the all-ages version (though I played both for Extra/Unlimited and I can't say that the H-scenes added anything to the game as a whole).

wei123

Neo Member
How did they handle the specific H-scene in Alternative? I remember that one being a very horrifying shock seeing and it worked to the benefit of the game. Never got to play the all-ages version (though I played both for Extra/Unlimited and I can't say that the H-scenes added anything to the game as a whole).

I never played the all-ages version in Alternative but from what I've read online from people who've played it, they simply blacked out the scene, with the event still happening and audio still intact.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

There is absolutely no nudity in the PS Vita version, nor in the steam version at that unless you purchase the patch separately.

The only thing that comes close is pilot suits that are veeeery body-fitting :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom