• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual wise this generation has been a disappointment, which is I have unrealistically high expectations for Spider-Man 2 graphically

ckaneo

I thought we were off to a decent start with Demon Souls (probably could be done on a PS4) and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart (ray tracing, fur, clarity, tech), but the more games I see the more I am disappointed. I am talking pure visuals here. We arent even getting locked framerates lol. Horzon looked great as well, but I feel like I am still waiting for that next generation leap. Spider-Man 2 I think (hope) will be that game. Isnt releasing on PS4, will have raytracing, studio that has already produced a decent looking PS5 game, and the best selling first party game from PS4 guaranteeing an unreal budget/man power. Are my expectations too high? Man I don't even care if Spiderman 2 is 30fps only. Show me something.

Maybe ray tracing is a pain to implement and its eating resources? Certainly kills overhead on the PC without upscaling. Man I'll even take cartoony games. DokeV looks amazing but will no doubt be downgraded on consoles.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
coming from the gen of Knack 2 it was always gonna be a steep hill to climb
9TZ65xi.jpg

PS5 is equivalent to 2070 or 2070S, you are not going to see incredible leaps unless you want the games to run at upscaled 1080p with unstable 30 fps lol
PC games all have minimum specs well below 2070 developers need to account for. Sony can solely develop for the PS5 and get way more out of it than pretty much any PC port. I can't think of many PC games that hold a candle to The Last of US 2 or Horizon Forbidden West when it comes to graphics quality, both of which were developed on the PS4

Crayon

You should indeed be watching spiderman 2. Though I'm not bothered much by it, I know what you are talking about. If spiderman 2 can't do it, we'll likely be waiting for closer to the end of the gen for something else to. Spider-man on ps4 looked as good as anything for a minute there and they were ahead of the curve 2 years ago with ratchet, which is one of the best looking games now.

Whatever they show is going to look good. I'm even willing to bet it will look better than anything else. But it might not deliver the punch you are looking for. And if they can't do it, naughty doge or gorilla would only be able to do so much better. They'd have to leapfrog insomniac and I don't think that's going to happen.

PC games all have minimum specs well below 2070 developers need to account for. Sony can solely develop for the PS5 and get way more out of it than pretty much any PC port. I can't think of many PC games that hold a candle to The Last of US 2 or Horizon Forbidden West when it comes to graphics quality, both of which were developed on the PS4

This is correct. Stop thinking in terraflops, and remember we are talking about a subjective visual impact here. Forbidden west on a ps4 has a lot more of that than forspoken running at 8k.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont mind games taking long to make tbh
And I dont mind graphics is not "high tech", if the art direction is good then I'm more than happy, this is why I love the visuals in FROM games despite not being high tech.

In fact I rather devs focus their resource and time on actual game rather than graphics, the novelty of impressive tech last maybe hour for me, at end of the day the actual gameplay that will keep me playing.

Last edited:
Just make a pc.

If Spiderman is true next gen, it will look less sharp and dense than Horizon Forbidden West.

Ray tracing, next gen geometry, physics etc will eat up a lot of render budget that Horizon FW had.

Chukhopops

That's what happens when you have to develop for low spec PCs and the Series S.
Series S must have been a big factor in the decision to make Ragnarok and Forbidden West cross-gen.

Also on topic the focus on performance mode instead of pointless graphics whoring has actually been the best part of current gen.

Sadly I don’t expect this to last especially for console exclusive games, forced 30 fps is going to come back unfortunately.

Last edited:

Crayon

That's what happens when you have to develop for low spec PCs and the Series S.

Yes, and while there is room for games that target higher, it's not a lot.

Everyone should get used to it, it's not that big a deal. Videogames are better than ever. Just get some perspective that the baseline is going to continue to move up, and there is always going to be way better hardware available that is a little frustrating to see unused.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sometimes I wonder how people managed to play games during the 360\PS3 gen. lol modern games look good, but they haven’t crossed over to that uncanny valley level yet. The large scale stuff like Hogwarts looks good, but to me the facial structures of the characters and their reactions need a lot of work. I’m more blown away by architecture or landscapes. Nintendo shows off fun landscapes at a fraction of the power with stuff like Breath of the Wild. To me, a lot of it is passable, but I’d rather have a good game than max out a console. The police station in RE2:Remake looks amazing to me. It just seems like we were a hundred steps ahead with the PS4/XBO, but it still isn’t passable. Maybe I’m not getting down the specifics or I don’t care about leaps and bounds.

The way certain missions and systems work inside these games. It takes a game with far less power to separate the constant comparisons between the games.

I don’t think we’ll ever get another 2D to 3D jump. The tech demos look great, but they can already make stuff like PT on current gen consoles. That’s good enough for me. That’s realistic enough for me.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder how people managed to play games during the 360\PS3 gen. lol modern games look good, but they haven’t crossed over to that uncanny valley level yet. The large scale stuff like Hogwarts looks good, but to me the facial structures of the characters and their reactions need a lot of work. I’m more blown away by architecture or landscapes. Nintendo shows off fun landscapes at a fraction of the power with stuff like Breath of the Wild. To me, a lot of it is passable, but I’d rather have a good game than max out a console. The police station in RE2:Remake looks amazing to me. It just seems like we were a hundred steps ahead with the PS4/XBO, but it still isn’t passable. Maybe I’m not getting down the specifics or I don’t care about leaps and bounds.

The way certain missions and systems work inside these games. It takes a game with far less power to separate the constant comparisons between the games.

I don’t think we’ll ever get another 2D to 3D jump. The tech demos look great, but they can already make stuff like PT on current gen consoles. That’s good enough for me. That’s realistic enough for me.
VR kinda feels like that jump tbh

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah I can’t consider VR just because I don’t have one. I have this knee jerk reaction that makes me think VR is nothing but oddly placed objects. Like those late 90’s/early 00’s VR games in the arcade where your camera control went with your movements. I realize there’s Alyx and other gems in VR. To me, we’ve had similar experiences over time and the big transition to this VR world is just cherry picking games.

supernova8

Banned
I thought we were off to a decent start with Demon Souls (probably could be done on a PS4) and Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart (ray tracing, fur, clarity, tech), but the more games I see the more I am disappointed. I am talking pure visuals here. We arent even getting locked framerates lol. Horzon looked great as well, but I feel like I am still waiting for that next generation leap. Spider-Man 2 I think (hope) will be that game. Isnt releasing on PS4, will have raytracing, studio that has already produced a decent looking PS5 game, and the best selling first party game from PS4 guaranteeing an unreal budget/man power. Are my expectations too high? Man I don't even care if Spiderman 2 is 30fps only. Show me something.

Maybe ray tracing is a pain to implement and its eating resources? Certainly kills overhead on the PC without upscaling. Man I'll even take cartoony games. DokeV looks amazing but will no doubt be downgraded on consoles.

The other kicker is that we aren't even getting significantly more complex games (e.g. AI) to make up for the underwhelming visuals.

Also while I agree that raytracing is probably killing performance, we probably need it and need this generation to be the cross-over gen where consoles start to support raytracing. I think that's the only way it becomes standard. Then with PS6 and whatever Xbox ends up being called, we might actually see some proper hardcore raytracing.

Yeah I can’t consider VR just because I don’t have one. I have this knee jerk reaction that makes me think VR is nothing but oddly placed objects. Like those late 90’s/early 00’s VR games in the arcade where your camera control went with your movements. I realize there’s Alyx and other gems in VR. To me, we’ve had similar experiences over time and the big transition to this VR world is just cherry picking games.
Tbh VR is still not ready imo. Yes there’s Alyx but it’s one of like, 3 high quality games. And it’s kinda in a league of its own. That jump will eventually happen I think once they can get it to be a standalone no wires experience with that level of fidelity across the board for more than just one game. But we probably won’t be there for a while.

Playing a game like Alyx though is like peeking into a version of the future though it’s kinda nuts

DaGwaphics

I still think we will see a lot of advancements by the end of the gen, the CPUs and fast Storage are going to come into play eventually.

In pure polygons and pixels, things will be sharper and more detailed but you could still do a PS4/X1 version and be okay with it on that front. Even as tired as that hardware was, we reached a point where on a scene per scene level there was enough there to get the job done. You aren't going to see moves like PS1 > PS2/Xbox > PS360 again because the starting point was already good and it is harder to tell the difference between good and great than it is poor and good. Even RT, which can be super impressive at times, is just a lighting effect where in almost every situation you could have done the game without the RT.

To me the next-gen will ultimately be more free flowing game worlds (thanks to the SSDs) and better physics and more complicated/intricate AI setups (both enemies and just more "living" elements) thanks to the CPUs. We'll get better textures and more detail and all that too, but nothing that could not have been toned down on PS4/X1 and still looked good.

Everyone has their own expectations though, mine have always been on the lower side. I'm still impressed by the UE5 city sample though and all the detail that had (even if most of it is totally unnecessary).

Last edited:
If you weren't impressed by Horizon then Spiderman 2 probably won't do much for you
IMO Ratchet and Demon's Souls are much, much more impressive than Horizon.

The Last of Us Part 1 is the only game since those two that has impressed me but none has even remotely beat them.

shit! i just realize that, yes....i could see one of the latest Avatar movies could be the first feature length blockbuster movie to be in VR.

is the next logical step for James Cameron to rape-minds

Crayon

That's right. Were like in the bronze age of vr right now. Bot the hardware and software is limited. And you have to push your coffee table out of the way. But if you want to see something really new then that's where to look. GT7 has good graphics but trapping them on a rectangle... very limiting in it's way.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'm sorry but soooooo sick of whining about graphics in every fucking GAF thread and then you guys whine about why AAA games take so long to make.

Yep. We have long since passed the point where graphics mattered. What matters now is strong art direction, which we are getting amazing looking games aplenty. Games like FUGA, 13 Sentinels, Gravity Rush 2, Astrobot, Pentiment, etc.

People need to learn to play games that aren't strictly AAA mindless shallow experiences whose only claim to fame is "graphical fidelitY" which means nothing as the next game that comes out would beat it regardless.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yep. We have long since passed the point where graphics mattered. What matters now is strong art direction, which we are getting amazing looking games aplenty. Games like FUGA, 13 Sentinels, Gravity Rush 2, Astrobot, Pentiment, etc.

People need to learn to play games that aren't strictly AAA mindless shallow experiences whose only claim to fame is "graphical fidelitY" which means nothing as the next game that comes out would beat it regardless.
Also the fact majority of “graphical fidelity” all boils down to making the visuals more “realistic” which in my opinion mostly mean making the visuals dull as fuck.

Top Bottom