• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual wise this generation has been a disappointment, which is I have unrealistically high expectations for Spider-Man 2 graphically

Vick

Gold Member
Was it also downgraded on consoles ?
Technically it was never "downgraded" on PC, they simply ported the already compromised code post-RDO from the Console versions.

I played it on release on ps4 slim and it looked great. I am thinking about replaying it on ps5 some time
Although considerably less immediate to get it running in 1.00, Series X would be the better choice due to native 4K vs checkerboarded, particularly for you who are very sensitive to IQ. But on the other hand you're also not bothered by 30fps, so get ready to be mind-blown regardless by this game's original presentation.

This is 1.00 PS4 Pro gameplay (no Photo Mode in 1.00, some shots are first person), so you're going to get this at rocksolid framerate. And especially in pure silence, as PS4 Pro is a literal jet engine with this version.

kW7O9mH.png

hxFVE7A.png

QB4MMc3.png

T2Bh7cN.png

vQm3BIq.png

OEOXQyY.png

zs93XBF.png

scirkhT.png

cE1T5Rd.png

tQ4P9uY.png

9HKtaxB.png

yJHj8wp.png

kREXrBc.png

AiAENHp.png

Qxf8l6c.png

Best non-RT AO ever, best PBR ever, best LOD management ever.

Last edited:

Pelao

I've been looking forward for years to having a transitional generation where the graphics don't evolve much in exchange for 60fps becoming the norm, so I'm more than happy with this one.

Unpopular opinion: x360/PS3 era has been the last gen where we've seen a generational leap. Sure, then we had insane improvement on lot of graphically aspects, but the "template" for games we are still playing today has been created that gen.

When we played something like Dead Rising or Gears of War on 360 was clear them would have never worked on PS2/GC/Xbox, now you can see games of this gen ported on Switch with playable results.

I don't think we can expect these kind of leaps ever again, but at this point average graphics is so good that I hope resources are used for other things like physics and interaction.
This isn’t true… look at the RTX race car demo and tell me games won’t jump in visuals again…what game looks as that or The Matrix Awakens…?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
And? Maybe the industry is being lazy and greedy?
In this case it has less to do with greed and more to do with majority of GAF value graphics above anything else. Even thread about gameplay with reduce to people arguing about ray tracing or other crap.

In this case it has less to do with greed and more to do with majority of GAF value graphics above anything else. Even thread about gameplay with reduce to people arguing about ray tracing or other crap.
Graphics are an element. This thread is specifically about how the visuals have disappointed. No one would be complaining if games were innovating in other ways (IE: physics, vfx, simulation) but why are we buying new hardware if there’s not a big jump? Super Mario to Mario 64 wasn’t just a graphics leap it opened up new possibilities due to the tech - I’m not expecting that but I am expecting games to take advantage of new technology and innovate in some way be it visually or otherwise.

PC games all have minimum specs well below 2070 developers need to account for. Sony can solely develop for the PS5 and get way more out of it than pretty much any PC port. I can't think of many PC games that hold a candle to The Last of US 2 or Horizon Forbidden West when it comes to graphics quality, both of which were developed on the PS4
Nah what's actually happening, its that game companies prioritize a target platform (often PS5) and then phone in the rest. PC can be taken advantage of almost as much as PS5(DX12,Vulkan) and it can do sick things like running a game off of multiple GPUs without downsides. The problem is the vast majority of companes don't care to take on the additional workload of optimizing for PC, every once in awhile you get a Doom Eternal, Valorant or WoW but for the most part it makes more sense to optimize for PS over Xbox because it has more marketshare, ignore or make a potato version for Switch and let PCs massive power (mostly) take care of unoptimized PC ports.

It's a business decision and one I'm sure actual devs feel sad about but the reality is companies only have so many resources so why slave away doing crazy optimization for PC, Switch and Xbox when people will buy half assed games anyway.

PC games all have minimum specs well below 2070 developers need to account for. Sony can solely develop for the PS5 and get way more out of it than pretty much any PC port. I can't think of many PC games that hold a candle to The Last of US 2 or Horizon Forbidden West when it comes to graphics quality, both of which were developed on the PS4
Control, Dying Light 2 and Cyberpunk are also stellar looking games and they look better than those games in many ways thanks to their more advanced rendering and Ray Tracing tech.

Danjin44

Graphics are an element. This thread is specifically about how the visuals have disappointed.
That in EVERY fucking thread when new game gets announced, this was exact case when Elden Ring first showed its gameplay, all they fucking did whine about the graphics and how is not "next gen" enough but guess what....at end of the day none that fucking mattered because it was god damn fun game.

But dont worry, when Armored Core VI show off its gameplay we will be right back to people whining about graphics again because of course they do because GAF is filled with graphics whores.

I'm just fucking sick of it, if this just contained in one thread that would be fine, but no, its in every fucking thread.

Last edited:
That in EVERY fucking thread when new game gets announced, this was exact case when Elden Ring first showed its gameplay, all they fucking did whine about the graphics and how is not "next gen" enough but guess what....at end of the day none that fucking mattered because it was god damn fun game.

But dont worry, when Armored Core VI show off its gameplay we will be right back to people whining about graphics again because of course they do because GAF is filled with graphics whores.

I'm just fucking sick of it, if this just contained in one thread that would be fine, but no, its in every fucking thread.
But the people who hate on elden rings graphics are in the minority - elden ring is artistically one of the best looking games ever, it also innovated and was fresh in other ways with the open world - a game like that is immune to this type of discussion on a larger level. As is BOTW (which also had really impressive physics btw)

Madflavor

I think people need to start coming to terms with the fact that we're starting to reach the end of the road with how far graphics can be pushed. Not saying it's going to stop dead in it's tracks, but the days of Graphical Leaps are far over. Now it's Graphical Baby Steps. Games already take a crazy long time to develop nowadays, that if we ever were to arrive to another graphical "leap" I shudder to think how much longer games will take to make then.

Developers work ungodly fucking hours for years on end, to get these big AAA games out in a reasonable time. And when they do there's a minority of loud gamers complaining about shadows, lighting effects, or physics. It's not a conundrum why Game Developers and Journalists hate gamers so fucking much.

Danjin44

But the people who hate on elden rings graphics are in the minority - elden ring is artistically one of the best looking games ever, it also innovated and was fresh in other ways with the open world - a game like that is immune to this type of discussion on a larger level. As is BOTW (which also had really impressive physics btw)
I agree Elden Ring is fucking gorgeous game but when Elden Ring first showed its gameplay the thread about that game turned in to dog shit because people wouldn't shut up about its graphics.

And gonna have to suffer through that again when Armored Core VI show off its gameplay because "oh no it doesn't have raytracing" or "the graphics are not next gen enough" blah, blah, blah, blah.

Edit: Heck, I even remember people saying Elden Ring looks like PS3 game.

Last edited:
I find these takes hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Before the consoles were released and we got their specs, people were going crazy with their armchair analysis and talking like they know how game development works, “look what Naughty Dog did with 1.84tera flops on the PS4, imagine 10.2!!!” And all that bullshit, and here we are today :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Once they stop catering for the ps4 crowd and end last gen support then you’ll see some proper next gen games.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I agree Elden Ring is fucking gorgeous game but when Elden Ring first showed its gameplay the thread about that game turned in to dog shit because people wouldn't shut up about its graphics.

And gonna have to suffer through that again when Armored Core VI show off its gameplay because "oh no it doesn't have raytracing" or "the graphics are not next gen enough" blah, blah, blah, blah.

I remember that too actually. People are dumb, what else is new?

I find these takes hilarious :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Before the consoles were released and we got their specs, people were going crazy with their armchair analysis and talking like they know how game development works, “look what Naughty Dog did with 1.84tera flops on the PS4, imagine 10.2!!!” And all that bullshit, and here we are today :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Once they stop catering for the ps4 crowd and end last Feb support then you’ll see some proper next gen games.

Meanwhile I'm perfectly happy over the fact that my PS5 has a SSD and loadtimes are lightning quick.

That’s just haters tho - there are some games exempt cus they’re so good in other ways

kiphalfton

Nope. You should be demanding both. There’s no reason a game can’t look amazing and play just as good. Certain devs know how to provide both. Others completely ignore one for the other.

It’s time we start being louder when we don’t get both.
Yeah look at Nier Automata. Game had performance issues and looks like garbage. No reason, not even "budget" since some small devs have made amazing looking games and I can't imagine they had the funds too make that a possibility.

Uncharted looks amazing ofc, on PC even more
Remember ps4 to ps5 isnt some crazy power leap like it was in ps1 to ps2 to ps3, its 1,8tf to 10,2tf so best case scenario including newer gpu architecture 6x jump, and about 3-4x in cpu.

Just look how ps4's ragnarok runs/looks vs how ps5's ragnorok does, ofc there is difference, but from my pov graphical leap is smaller vs tekken 1 to tekken 3 on same first playstation.

Here again very informative digital foundry video and comparision between both versions

Edit: Sony Santa Monica are top tier dev team and u can assume they did best they could, simply ps5 isnt as strong as u think it is, if it was SSM would make game look like in fidelity mode but run it at 4k/60fps, yet they couldnt, they had to cap it at 30 or 40 with different mode, and there is no raytracing there even, so all the gpu/cpu oomph went into the meat.

Bookmarking this comment, for when the next SSM PS5 exclusive project is shown! 😀

hussar16

Downgraded? Where did you get that from?
The original reveal was a cut screen and the second one was game footage. You do know that cut scenes have a higher fidelity than gameplay yeah.
It was downgraded because they said in game footage. They were cutscenes in both trailers

PeteBull

Bookmarking this comment, for when the next SSM PS5 exclusive project is shown! 😀
just compare final game/gameplay, not fake trailer, those so often tend to look much better, recent example, and thats from sony console exclusive- was forspoken
Ps5 ofc can have better looking games than launch window/launch titles but difference wont be humongous vs something like ratchet or demons souls, i think max we can expect would be something akin to matrix demo, which would be still amazing but definitely 30fps with dips and some serious resolution downgrade, definitely something below native 1440p (ofc with some smart anti aliasing/upscaling uption, maybe fsr 2.1 or something of that sort).

What im saying is- u got demons souls running in 4k30, or 1440p 60, dont magically expect game for same ps5( not ps5 pro who could be 2 maybe even more than 2x powerful) to look visibly better and keep same fps/resolution.
There is a reason The Order 1886 back from early 2015 still looks really good to this day, 1920x800 and black bars on top/bottom of the screen, 30fps(altho very stable, measured by DF), and it being corridor shooter and not open world/sandbox, i played and enjoyed that game tho, few weeks after launch, it bombed hard so i paid like 20-25euro only ;D

And yet so called high tech graphics didn’t help me enjoy games like TLOU 2 or Horizon, meanwhile I enjoyed the crap out of games like Sekiro, Elden Ring and other FROM games even without the “high tech graphics”.
So you just enjoy From games more than other? That's just your taste.

It doesn't mean Tlou p2 is just "High tech graphics" game. It's one of the best TPS games out there.

Last edited:

Danjin44

So what’s the point of new consoles? To keep the previous generations visuals quality?
Games? Also visuals did improve, so the performance in most games but the problem for you guys is thats not "good enough". You guys have stupid high exceptions of wanting high tech graphics while also want games to come out faster.

Also complain about why AAA games dont take risk as much.

Games? Also visuals did improve, so the performance in most games but the problem for you guys is thats not "good enough". You guys have stupid high exceptions of wanting high tech graphics while also want games to come out faster.

Also complain about why AAA games dont take risk as much.
I never said I wanted games to come out faster… games should look way better this generation, bottom line. They don’t.

Danjin44

I never said I wanted games to come out faster… games should look way better this generation, bottom line. They don’t.
Other than making bunch of graphic whores on internet happy, there no real benefit spending so money and resource for high tech graphics.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So what’s the point of new consoles? To keep the previous generations visual quality?

Power, allows you to do new and interesting things with game design. There is a reason why devs are more excited about the SSD than they are the "graphical power" of the newer consoles.

The problem with folks with your mindset is that you never actually take this into account. All you see are pretty graphics and its why we get continued mediocre titles whose only saving grace are their graphics and animations - with gameplay as shallow as a puddle and narratives as interesting as watching paint dry.

Power, allows you to do new and interesting things with game design. There is a reason why devs are more excited about the SSD than they are the "graphical power" of the newer consoles.

The problem with folks with your mindset is that you never actually take this into account. All you see are pretty graphics and its why we get continued mediocre titles whose only saving grace are their graphics and animations - with gameplay as shallow as a puddle and narratives as interesting as watching paint dry.
TLOU 2, RDR2, Death Stranding, Spiderman, HFW, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Cyberpunk 2077 and GoW Ragnorak says hi. Games should have everything not just GaM3PlaY…

Some of you are analyzing graphics way too closely. Games look good. Quit putting them under microscopes, looking for blemishes.

Games are already taking way too long to make and costing so much that the industry could eventually hit some sort of crash.
The companies would have the budget if they weren’t greedy…these corporations make billions a year, but W3 DoNT hAvE Th3 BudgeT!!1!1!!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Trash game.

RDR2, Death Stranding,
Great games.

Spiderman,
Only good thing it has is its swinging mechanics.

HFW, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart,
Trash games.

Cyberpunk 2077
Mediocre game.
and GoW Ragnorak says hi.
Trash game.

Games should have everything not just GaM3PlaY…
Come back to me when you actually understand "everything".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Trash post
Lol, of course a console warrior like yourself would get triggered over a harmless opinion.

Don't you dare slander Rift Apart! and fuck RDR2! trash game...
Glad you enjoyed Rift Apart. Personally I found it lacked any of the strong, satirical/comedic writing of the PS2 titles and lacked the heart and personality of the PS3 titles. It was as bland and nonoffensive as it could be and didn't do anything to stand out from the pack. The only thing it had going for it was its graphical fidelity.

RDR2 is definitely not for everyone. But I love slower "Immersive Sim" style games, and RDR2 was absolutely that. ITs also why I loved Death Stranding.

Banned
Glad you enjoyed Rift Apart. Personally I found it lacked any of the strong, satirical/comedic writing of the PS2 titles and lacked the heart and personality of the PS3 titles. It was as bland and nonoffensive as it could be and didn't do anything to stand out from the pack. The only thing it had going for it was its graphical fidelity.

I am someone who doesn't really give a shit about how bad the story/characters/writing of a game is if I like the gameplay.
and Rift Apart on the highest difficulty is a ridiculously fun shooter with great controls and fun weapons.

it having nice RT reflections at 60fps helped too :) I love me some RT reflections

RDR2 is definitely not for everyone. But I love slower "Immersive Sim" style games, and RDR2 was absolutely that. ITs also why I loved Death Stranding.

it is that, UNTIL... you start any story relevant mission.
then it becomes more linear and less interactive than a fucking call of duty mission.
the game basically already died to me the moment I played that mission where you get out of the saloon (relatively early mission) and have to follow this dude that was an asshole to the girls you are with or some shit.
I kid you not, I walked 1 step backwards, just to see if I could talk to the girl, and the game gave me an instant game over...
then I said, ok, he ran towards the hotel, let's look for him maybe he is still on the street somewhere... and then I walked down the wrong side alley and... GAME OVER...

I tried after that to maybe find fun in the game, but the only fun in the game was trying out the physics and AI behaviour, and after that became old I fucking quit and never looked back.

It also didn't help that the game basically has the worst controls imaginable and is barely even playable in the first place due to input lag, added lag on top of the input lag due to the animation lag and phyiscs engine, and then they also added animation smoothing to such an extreme degree that you can't control your character with any resemblance of precision.
turning on first person mode helped a little, since some of the animation smoothing is not there if you do that, but then you have the issue of a narrow as fuck FOV that gave me a headache if I played it too long that way.

RDR2 to me feels like a game that is backed by some of the most brilliant coders and graphics technicians in the world (I mean the game ran at native fucking 4K on One X), but held back by some of the worst game designers and gameplay programmers.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am someone who doesn't really give a shit about how bad the story/characters/writing of a game is if I like the gameplay.
and Rift Apart on the highest difficulty is a ridiculously fun shooter with great controls and fun weapons.

it having nice RT reflections at 60fps helped too :) I love me some RT reflections

it is that, UNTIL... you start any story relevant mission.
then it becomes more linear and less interactive than a fucking call of duty mission.
the game basically already died to me the moment I played that mission where you get out of the saloon (relatively early mission) and have to follow this dude that was an asshole to the girls you are with or some shit.
I kid you not, I walked 1 step backwards, just to see if I could talk to the girl, and the game gave me an instant game over...
then I said, ok, he ran towards the hotel, let's look for him maybe he is still on the street somewhere... and then I walked down the wrong side alley and... GAME OVER...

I tried after that to maybe find fun in the game, but the only fun in the game was trying out the physics and AI behaviour, and after that became old I fucking quit and never looked back.

It also didn't help that the game basically has the worst controls imaginable and is barely even playable in the first place due to input lag, added lag on top of the input lag due to the animation lag and phyiscs engine, and then they also added animation smoothing to such an extreme degree that you can't control your character with any resemblance of precision.
turning on first person mode helped a little, since some of the animation smoothing is not there if you do that, but then you have the issue of a narrow as fuck FOV that gave me a headache if I played it too long that way.

RDR2 to me feels like a game that is backed by some of the most brilliant coders and graphics technicians in the world (I mean the game ran at native fucking 4K on One X), but held back by some of the worst game designers and gameplay programmers.

Absolutely fair points on the mission structure. That has been a massive issue with Rockstar games since GTA3 and I really wish they would fix that already. Control wise, I never had any issue. Everything felt fluid for me and I never felt like I lost control. But I also played well over 500 hours of GTA IV so that has probably gotten me more than used to modern rockstar controls.

Banned
Absolutely fair points on the mission structure. That has been a massive issue with Rockstar games since GTA3 and I really wish they would fix that already. Control wise, I never had any issue. Everything felt fluid for me and I never felt like I lost control. But I also played well over 500 hours of GTA IV so that has probably gotten me more than used to modern rockstar controls.

imo GTA4 has better controls than RDR2.
that is mostly due to the fact that the game expects less from you, so the bad controls don't really come into the spotlight as much.
GTA4 in general had so much stuff that was abandoned afterwards that should have been in GTA5 but wasn't

but IMO the only 3D game Rockstar games ever made, that actually controls really well, is Max Payne 3. somehow they managed to make a really good shooter while maintaining their physics and animation work they like to do since GTA4, and then just threw all they did with that out the window after that.

pasterpl

People need to realise that consoles released 2 years ago are no match for the latest gaming PCs and the graphics gap will be increasing (pc vs consoles), we can seee this already with powerful pc’s running games at higher res, more stable framreate and more graphical ‘fireworks”. We will see the biggest leaps in graphics on PC vs console.

Top Bottom