• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR finally mainstream!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The Quest 2 has appeared to have sold millions this past holiday season. I got a quest 2 last christmas and it really is an incredible device.

The Quest 2 companion app Oculus reached #1 in the Apple Playstore Xmas day and the Day after. Steam saw record VR growth with nearly 40% of users using the Quest 2 on it's platform. All you have to do is google meta Quest 2 holiday numbers and you will see the hype it's getting.

I'm happy to see this thing catch fire and hopefully attracts more big name publishers. While there are a decent library of games to play, there are few "blockbuster" titles. Resident Evil 4 on the Quest 2 has shown that old classics can be remade anew and feel totally awesome. Doom 3 is another example how an older game can feel totally new (and creepy). Publishers can make money on porting over old titles and making new ones for a much lower budget than other platforms.

Zuckerberg is also building a Ready Player One type metaverse that could be interesting as well. VR is hitting primetime baby!

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They even have interesting controllers!

mlsx9Vn.jpg

Last edited:

Rivet

We still need more big games outside Alyx but yes, it seems it takes off now that Quest 2 has 10 million sales in a short time, so as OP said, it should bring more publishers and bigger budget games.

Quest 2 is impressive in a lot of ways. Meta is massively investing in it and it shows (try Horizon Workrooms if you can, with your real desk and real keyboard and real apps included in the VR world, that's incredible). PSVR2 is coming soon, it could be another step forward, both technically and in game content, with potentially a lot of big games.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Call it when it's @ 150 million like PS2/DS/Wii (which were still only a chunk of a much larger truly mainstream medium, gaming or whatever you wanna call it).

It's really just pr bs to call a potential 10 or so million mainstream (and pimping one product achieving that while trashing the rest like most of the media do solely for not doing the same as fast on the back of marketing and loss leading only FB $ can achieve only makes it worse for the medium).

Lol @ falling for Zuck's metaverse, it's not happening in your lifetime unless you backpedal and call everything you can do in separate games, products, web applications, etc., same as now, collectively the metaverse, which clearly isn't the matrix/ready player one like deal most people fantasize...

Not to mention all they have shown for it is a soulless, corporate, more limited version of RecRoom that doesn't hold a candle to existing social applications like VRChat/NeosVR (which cool as they are nobody tried to claim they're anywhere close to a metaverse before the term gained pr power).

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have a quest 2 and enjoy vr, but to me it doesn't feel like vr has hit "mainstream" just yet. It's coming eventually. I think the lack of companies willing to put money into AAA titles right now backs that up the notion that it's not truly mainstream yet. That and large companies like ms straight up ignore the entire vr market.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Only if they start making more “ point and click “ type of adventure games and less actiony.

LordOfChaos

Definitely looks like it's going to start the leg up of the S curve to me. But I still want to see more actual AAA games on it, not the typical on rails VR fare. I'd be fine with using it as the biggest small screen I could see with more typical controls.

I wonder when VR will be the default for new AAA games. Like it's not like we have a Halo Infinite or GoW on it.

Yes closly followed by this worthy device

wkZlf24.jpg

That's lifetime sales, the Quest 2 was announced last year. This is definitely a successful VR product for what is still a niche industry, the Quest 2 seems to have substantially moved up what success there means

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Call it when it's @ 150 million like PS2/DS/Wii (which were still only a chunk of a much larger truly mainstream medium, gaming or whatever you wanna call it).

It's really just pr bs to call a potential 10 or so million mainstream (and pimping one product achieving that while trashing the rest like most of the media do solely for not doing the same as fast on the back of marketing and loss leading only FB $ can achieve only makes it worse for the medium).

Lol @ falling for Zuck's metaverse, it's not happening in your lifetime unless you backpedal and call everything you can do in separate games, products, web applications, etc., same as now, collectively the metaverse, which clearly isn't the matrix/ready player one like deal most people fantasize...

Not to mention all they have shown for it is a soulless, corporate, more limited version of RecRoom that doesn't hold a candle to existing social applications like VRChat/NeosVR (which cool as they are nobody tried to claim they're anywhere close to a metaverse before the term gained pr power).
Where did the bad man touch you?

Romulus

I don't know if it's mainstream because there's no real defined parameter for that. 10 million in a year pretty much beats out almost every popular console ever made. You could argue the Quest 2 is doing mainstream numbers, but VR isn't there as a technology, yet. Close though.

What I do know is VR is not going anywhere and everyone that said it was dead was very wrong. 10 million in a year is fucking serious, and Sony is going balls deep with it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Pretty awesome news from a tech perspective. We may very well be on the cusp of the holodeck at some point.

Lethal01

Absolutely not. The best VR experiences are those where you get to reach into the world with your hands and manipulate objects etc. That's when it gets truly immersive. And that's mostly puzzle/adventure games. Otherwise it's just a glorified 3D screen.

Not for me, a super immersive 3D screen without having to rework fantastic game design around it or touching stuff is far better than any VR game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How do the Quest 2 compare to the Index in terms of image quality and tracking? I love my Index but the wires kinda suck sometimes.

Future is behind wireless headsets though.
I will probably buy next generation Quest, but simply because you can use it without PC.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Absolutely not. The best VR experiences are those where you get to reach into the world with your hands and manipulate objects etc. That's when it gets truly immersive. And that's mostly puzzle/adventure games. Otherwise it's just a glorified 3D screen.
cool opinion but i disagree. i much prefer seated with a controller. standing, moving around and/or using motion controllers takes me out of the experience. and it just gets old after like 20 minutes. i get way more enjoyment when im seated.

edit: go ahead keep laughing Alexios Alexios since you have nothing intelligent to say. douche

Last edited:

Superwave

Banned
It will only become mainstream if they can shrink it down to a pair of shades. Don't know if that is technically possible though. I'm not wearing mad goggles, ever, and most people will be the same.

Last edited:
cool opinion but i disagree. i much prefer seated with a controller. standing, moving around and/or using motion controllers takes me out of the experience. and it just gets old after like 20 minutes. i get way more enjoyment when im seated.
I'll never forgot a moment I had last week playing Superhot. I was dodging bullets and shooting enemies at totally different heights and perspectives, but I kept getting hit. Finally I realized I'd have to literally crouch down on the ground behind cover. When I got down behind this cabinet, I noticed that they placed two uzis down there that you couldn't easily see unless you crouched down. A light bulb went on over my head and I felt very immersed.

Both are fun, but I've already played lots of games that are best when you can move a bit.

Kev Kev

I'll never forgot a moment I had last week playing Superhot. I was dodging bullets and shooting enemies at totally different heights and perspectives, but I kept getting hit. Finally I realized I'd have to literally crouch down on the ground behind cover. When I got down behind this cabinet, I noticed that they placed two uzis down there that you couldn't easily see unless you crouched down. A light bulb went on over my head and I felt very immersed.

Both are fun, but I've already played lots of games that are best when you can move a bit.
sounds fun! but not for me. i dont want to be standing and crouching and all that. more power to you guys. im just sayin i disagree that that is where the best VR experiences are.

GymWolf

It's never gonna be REALLY mainstream until they sensibly reduce weight and size and a big improvement on the battery life.
They are just too bulky, uncomfortble, easily sweat inducing to make a breach on the hearts of the casuals or anti-vr people.

And this comes from a guy with 2 vr device that probably gonna buy a psvr2.

10 milions quest for 6 billions of people on this planet is not really mainstream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom