• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR needs a Gamepass subscription

Fredrik

It’s the perfect fit. With mostly smaller experimental titles it would help out a ton to have access to a bigger library and get people to dare to experience VR and try out games they don’t usually play that could turn out fit them perfectly in VR. Would probably get more devs to jump in as well.

I keep getting spammed by Meta to use some 30% off code that’ll soon expire. It’s not enough to get me to try out some small title I might drop in a couple hours or less.

So where are the VR Passes?

Sony should do it on PS+ Premium
Meta should do it on their rumored Quest Pass
Apple should do it on Apple Arcade
And Microsoft needs to do it through Gamepass PC/Ultimate

Three

It’s the perfect fit. With mostly smaller experimental titles it would help out a ton to have access to a bigger library and get people to dare to experience VR and try out games they don’t usually play that could turn out fit them perfectly in VR. Would probably get more devs to jump in as well.

I keep getting spammed by Meta to use some 30% off code that’ll soon expire. It’s not enough to get me to try out some small title I might drop in a couple hours or less.

I think Oculus announced one. Anyway, PS+ offered VR titles in the past and I'm sure over time they will at some point again.

Fredrik

I think Oculus announced one. Anyway, PS+ offered VR titles in the past and I'm sure over time they will at some point again.
Afaik it’s still just a rumour. And the day 1 strategy everybody here hates needs to be applied or it’ll stumble and fail since the market is so small. Just add it to the top tier subscription plan and include 3 months for free in the box for all headsets and I think minimum 50% enthusiasts would stay subscribed as long as new games arrive each month, and would be like living ads from all the increased talk on boards and social.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Where’s the catch? This seems perfect at least for anyone using a PC compatible headset.

Is the games library limited? Found a review where they said some bigger titles were excluded, useful for new VR gamers but not anyone who has already started building a library.

Last edited:

Markio128

Well there’s a trigger-worthy title if I ever saw one OP 😂
I mean, MS is literally one of the corps not interested in VR, yet you refer to gamepass.
Anyway, I’m sure those providing VR will also provide some games within their own subscription services at some point.

Been using Viveport for a while and it's a cool way of exploring a bunch of different lesser-known games and apps, even if there are hardly any big-hitters there.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
They have free 20 minute demos on a lot of quest games. Makes it really easy to try something if you’re interested but don’t want to commit. That’s a pretty fair deal as far as software goes these days. I wouldn’t hate a gamepass, but I’d rather try whatever I want for free and pay to “own” the things I like, so I would love to see this expanded further. I wonder if it’s an opt in thing for the devs?

Fredrik

Well there’s a trigger-worthy title if I ever saw one OP 😂
I mean, MS is literally one of the corps not interested in VR, yet you refer to gamepass.
Anyway, I’m sure those providing VR will also provide some games within their own subscription services at some point.
The word Gamepass is used all the time to refer to gaming subscription services, can’t allow yourself to get triggered that easily. And to be fair I said PC/Ultimate to highlight Microsoft’s PC branch where they absolutely should have VR games.
Anyway you’re right maybe we’ll see VR games pop up later on subscription services, I just think it would be better to have it there right now to better increase the hype. Hopefully we’ll see Meta roll out their service at the Quest 3 launch.

Been using Viveport for a while and it's a cool way of exploring a bunch of different lesser-known games and apps, even if there are hardly any big-hitters there.
Cool I’m interested to try it, I saw that there is a free trial.

Last edited:

Paasei

That will only ruin it even more. The typical mediocre games that you only play cause it’s on gameplay will then commence. Not an issue for me, I don’t really care much about VR.

Fredrik

They have free 20 minute demos on a lot of quest games. Makes it really easy to try something if you’re interested but don’t want to commit. That’s a pretty fair deal as far as software goes these days. I wouldn’t hate a gamepass, but I’d rather try whatever I want for free and pay to “own” the things I like, so I would love to see this expanded further. I wonder if it’s an opt in thing for the devs?
Free demos are nice, would be great to have that for everything.
But I like having access to the full experience of a whole library of games for a set price. I get that I don’t actually ”own” anything but I don’t care as long as I have access to the games, also makes it less likely that I’ll cheap out and skip potential great games because of low/mid review scores or high price.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
VR is dead. Companies should move on and not force it. You can’t force people to buy 3D TVs and you can’t force them to buy VR and the answer from the public to the technology is clear. Just move on.

Fredrik

Are there any PSVR2 Games included in Extra?

I think this idea in general isn´t so bad at all.
There is a VR category in the game catalogue showing 16 games for me on Premium, they’re all for PS4 though so I assume it’s PSVR1 games, don’t have a PSVR2 yet so can’t check if anything works.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I would pay a ps+ VR "version". It would save me some money instead of buying the 7 or 8 VR games I'm interested. (7 or 8 for now... The list increases every month).

Fredrik

VR just needs more AAA games. I’d pay full price for another Alyx in a heartbeat
How about a couple AAA games per year to buy, and a big pool of smaller experimental titles free to play through a subscription library?

Personally I don’t enjoy spending even $30 on an obvious lower budget game I’m not sure I’ll even play after the first session. But if the gameplay idea is cool I still want to experience it. Does that make any sense? I just want meatier VR experiences if I’m gonna pay for it, so for now I’m mostly sitting on a fence waiting for bigger titles to arrive while playing older titles like Skyrim VR and Assetto Corsa.

Fredrik

Counter point:

GamePass needs VR titles + Xbox supports Oculus
Well yeah that too, but MS is a sleepy head regarding Xbox and VR so they should at least jump into VR properly on PC where they already have headset support and a couple of their VR games. Maybe they need Valve’s approval if they have locked up the games to SteamVR?

No it doesn't. It needs solid AAA titles with big budgets like HL Alyx. Issue is that VR is still too niche, still to expensive and those 2 things alone is what making devs scared of making big investments on development.

Fredrik

I would dream for this but I think the time of being associated with Meta/Facebook is long gone...and that deal is dead.
Could just have general PCVR headset support like on Windows. Make sure Virtual Desktop works on it and they’ll have wireless VR just like that. Everything is already set, the Xbox OS is some variant of Windows anyway. But they’re sleeping.

Wasn't Meta revealed to have this very thing in the works on a software update?

Fredrik

Wasn't Meta revealed to have this very thing in the works on a software update?
Saw you tagging me there but that service is the same old grow your own library thing 2 games each month. That’s not what I want. The Viveport talked about earlier is more my thing, 1000+ games right away, $10/month. I think I’ll give it a try.

hlm666

Gamepass has had games with VR support, I played no mans sky, tetris and of course flight sim through gamepass. But if you want something totally about VR it's actually been a thing for a while.

Nah, VR needs bigger, better AAA games. $70 is fine, as long as they're worth it.

But, we need fewer reasons for these boring, tiny "VR experiences" that have no meat on the bone or point other than, "oooh look, 3D".

Last edited:

Crayon

With where VR is at right now, I think it's a better bet that people willing to buy headsets are willing to buy games.

Fredrik

Nah, VR needs bigger, better AAA games. $70 is fine, as long as they're worth it.

But, we need fewer reasons for these boring, tiny "VR experiences" that have no meat on the bone or point other than, "oooh look, 3D".
But until bigger devs are kind enough to bother making those better AAA games worth $70 we’re stuck playing smaller dev no meat on the bone games. I’d rather try out those bite-sized games I don’t know if I’ll enjoy through a subscription than pay for them individually.

But until bigger devs are kind enough to bother making those better AAA games worth $70 we’re stuck playing smaller dev no meat on the bone games. I’d rather try out those bite-sized games I don’t know if I’ll enjoy through a subscription than pay for them individually.
Ok, I'd rather not have any more monthly subscription bills. Especially, for stuff I wouldn't care to play otherwise.

Fredrik

Ok, I'd rather not have any more monthly subscription bills. Especially, for stuff I wouldn't care to play otherwise.
If you could get 1000+ games at $10/month - Can you not see the upside from that compared to buying the same games for $30 a pop?

If you could get 1000+ games at $10/month - Can you not see the upside from that compared to buying the same games for $30 a pop?
The games out I'm not buying. I prefer buying games I want instead of renting whatever happens to be given.

1000 games a month means absolutely nothing. I can't play 1000 games in a month and the vast majority are games I wouldn't even if I could.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

They need to subsidize the hardware, so people can pay a reasonable amount monthly for a new quality headset instead of dropping $500-$1000 all at once - just like phones.

Griffon

Another of those stupid threads about how "renting games for life is awesome".

youll-own-nothing-e1630394408764.jpg

Fredrik

The games out I'm not buying. I prefer buying games I want instead of renting whatever happens to be given.

1000 games a month means absolutely nothing. I can't play 1000 games in a month and the vast majority are games I wouldn't even if I could.
It’s not about playing 1000 games in a month, it’s about having a bigger selection of games to choose from, and not having to buy them individually just to check if something you’re slightly interested in is actually your thing. The barrier of entry is lower. Would be perfect for VR since so much is experimental shovelware if I can be that harsh, feels like having a Wii at this point, the AAA games are rare unicorns.
And even if you just end up playing one single game it’ll still be cheaper than buying at full price.

Don’t you use Netflix, HBO, Disney+, etc? Or Spotify? Same thing, but no compression loss.

Top Bottom