• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR opinions

RavageX

So I currently have PSVR. I was a day one adopter and I love it. I really like the active VR games (like boxing for exercise) and the only annoyance I have are with the cables and the fact I constantly have to hook up and unhook the thing if I want HDR, etc because I have an old model that doesn't allow. I have a PS5 now and I am eagerly awaiting the release of PSVR2 and that's why I haven't gotten the newer PSVR...I'm just gonna wait.

However, I was thinking of getting the Quest 2 for a couple of fitness VR apps/games. That's really all I want it for since it is wireless and I can expect less issue with getting carried away and pulling on cables. My laptop is more than VR capable so if I really wanted to I can link it up. I am perfectly fine with the 128gb version of the Quest.

Basically I am trying to figure out if it would be worth spending a little to achieve what I want. I have limited time these days, and a quick BOXVR session or something like that would be well worth it cardio-wise I believe. I don't need any motivation for VR type exercise(again my issue with PSVR is dealing with the cables).

Those of you that own the Quest 2, would it be good for a basic use such as this(with maybe the occasional PC VR game)?

Shmunter

So I currently have PSVR. I was a day one adopter and I love it. I really like the active VR games (like boxing for exercise) and the only annoyance I have are with the cables and the fact I constantly have to hook up and unhook the thing if I want HDR, etc because I have an old model that doesn't allow. I have a PS5 now and I am eagerly awaiting the release of PSVR2 and that's why I haven't gotten the newer PSVR...I'm just gonna wait.

However, I was thinking of getting the Quest 2 for a couple of fitness VR apps/games. That's really all I want it for since it is wireless and I can expect less issue with getting carried away and pulling on cables. My laptop is more than VR capable so if I really wanted to I can link it up. I am perfectly fine with the 128gb version of the Quest.

Basically I am trying to figure out if it would be worth spending a little to achieve what I want. I have limited time these days, and a quick BOXVR session or something like that would be well worth it cardio-wise I believe. I don't need any motivation for VR type exercise(again my issue with PSVR is dealing with the cables).

Those of you that own the Quest 2, would it be good for a basic use such as this(with maybe the occasional PC VR game)?
No cables is the ultimate goal. But I need to stress, that the second revision of PSVR made the cable almost a non issue. The original PSVR has a heavy cabling system that is genuinely intrusive. The revision - the cable must be at least 1/5 the girth and weight of the original, even the headphones plug and control on the headset itself, removing that additional cable.

Noting the above, I personally couldn’t care less about psvr2 having a cable, and would easily trade for it to ensure best in class image quality. If they release a wireless version later on with guaranteed iq and no latency impact - will upgrade then.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The type of games I usually play VR just feels pointless for someone like me, I rather spend my money on more games rather than on a device I'm not gonna barely use.

Man my Quest 2 has been sitting in the box in the corner of my room since last year. With my time with it I do appreciate the cordless aspect of the device for immersion; The battery life though is unbelievably bad.

Man my Quest 2 has been sitting in the box in the corner of my room since last year. With my time with it I do appreciate the cordless aspect of the device for immersion; The battery life though is unbelievably bad.
The battery, but also the cooling system. People think all it is, is installing a wireless system when that is not the only problem. Cable allows the headset to be lighter.

Last edited:

Shmunter

The battery, but also the cooling system. People think all it is, is installing a wireless system when that is not the only problem. Cable allows the headset to be lighter.
The battery on a dumb wifi headset would go a lot further than on one with the computer onboard like the quest. Could be smaller.

Fredrik

I don't believe there's a better VR device than the Quest 2 when it comes to fitness apps and games with roomscale movement.
Yeah a friend booked a huge room in an indoor sports center and brought his Quest 2 to literally run around in a VR world.

I’ve only played at home but even so I love the freedom of movement the Quest 2 gives me. I play wired to the PC too and it’s just not the same thing, every little tug on the cable breaks the immersion for me.

CS Lurker

Personally I bought my Quest 2 exclusively to play Eleven Table Tennis. I just loved the game, how close to reality it was and the freedom of not having a cable. So after 40 min playing a friend's Quest, I had to buy it just for that.

Of course I play other games too, I already paid for the hardware after all. Being wireless changed everything for me. There's no going back.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
You are technically correct, in the sense that PSVR2 is not currently available.
PSVR2 looks to be a very nice headset for PS5 users, but not a good headset for fitness games. Let's say you want to exercise/play in a separate room than your livingroom. With PSVR2 that would involve moving your headset, PS5, and a TV into that space. You want to bring it while you travel? Same deal.

Now for stuff like GT7 and white-indian-girl-canoe simulator...it should be great.

Last edited:

Olimbox

Neo Member
I have a quest 2 and I love the versatility. I use it in bed every evening to remote play ps and xbox games, watch netflix, stream games from pc and vr games.

But be careful with the cost. Out of the box it's a relatively cheap headset, but not so comfortable.
Once you start to buy a new strap, better with battery, replace the soft face pad with something more confortable and washable ( you will sweat a lot with fitness apps), and adaptive lenses if you wear glasses, the cost will be quite high.

EekTheKat

For me oculus + steam was pretty much 80-90% of all VR titles that I was interested in. And given Steam does work fairly well with a Quest 2 it wasn't really a hard choice to adopt one - especially at that price point and how available it's been.

The tradeoff with Quest 2 vs something like an Index is down to convenience of wireless vs. somewhat less accurate and laggy tracking - which is sort of a your miles may vary sort of deal.

What sold me on Quest 2 was Virtual Desktop however. Virtual Desktop on Quest 1 sold me on wireless PC VR as a thing. The developer of Virtual Desktop made some pretty damn big improvements on the Quest 2 that massively improved the experience so far.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
don't think the technology is fully there yet. i had a rift s and it was so blurry with tunnel vision. the headset had to sit a certain way for it to be completely in focus but of course with a headset you're moving about so it was getting knocked off focus all the time. even when it was in focus the resolution was quite low and i couldn't make out some text. maybe newer models have fixed it and have higher resolution and fov.

the cables need to go completely. i know there are models without it so i suppose that's not much a problem. the other thing was that your controls are only limited to hand/arm movements and buttons. i think for VR to be fully immersive you'd need leg straps kinda like nintendo does for switch in ringfit and switch sports. or even better a sensor like the old xbox kinect. something like that and you could have full body movement.

but the biggest thing holding VR back is the games or lack of games! i don't know what it's like now but the biggest games were Alyx, Skyrim, Fallout, No Man's Sky, and Elite Dangerous. I know Flight Sim has VR now. but most of the VR games were cheap trash. Before I sold my headset all I was playing was beat saber. if VR is to really be successful there simply needs to be more VR games.

personally, i also want more options. oculus seems to be the most popular but facebook can go fuck themselves. the Index is good i hear but really expensive. i know Apple is working on a headset but that'll be just to hook up to your iPhone/iPad probably. it could be great but not for serious gaming. I want to see Sony take PSVR more seriously and if MS would get into VR that would be great.

chixdiggit

Sounds like the Quest 2 is the exact headset you are looking for.

Beechos

Yes not having to deal with the 500 wires that psvr needs for it to work is worth it alone. If you just want it for fitness you wont even need a pc. Theres some great fitness apps that have beat saberish gameplay. Only thing im dissappointed about so far with the quest 2 is the gaphics have barely improved, im tired of n64 lvls of graphics.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PSVR2 looks to be a very nice headset for PS5 users, but not a good headset for fitness games. Let's say you want to exercise/play in a separate room than your livingroom. With PSVR2 that would involve moving your headset, PS5, and a TV into that space. You want to bring it while you travel? Same deal.

Now for stuff like GT7 and white-indian-girl-canoe simulator...it should be great.

Dont forget having a wire on the PSVR2 also means it is not ideal for vr workout. That's dangerous

Klik

Well Quest 2 is already almost 2 years old. Honestly i can't wait for PSVR 2 but even if im buying PCVR i would probably wait for something new. VR is improving so quick that there would be lot of improvement in those 2 years.

Also i don't think 1 cable connection would be that much of an issue..

Romulus

Im most excited about PSVR2 with its rendering saving tech + closed box optimization. Seeing what devs did with Hitman and re7 blew my mind considering how garbage the ps4 hardware is.

Yes. Not to mention, If you have a capable PC and Router you can play games wirelessly from your PC

Last edited:
I would never buy a VR headset locked to a console marketplace of games. The best experiences will always be on PC. PSVR doesn't even have Google Earth VR which is an amazing experience. There's much more to VR than just games.

Quest 2 works well for this, but I’m of the opinion it needs multiple comfort upgrades if you’re going to exclusively use it for fitness.

Sweat in VR can be uncomfortable, especially for a headset that gets as hot as the Quest 2. Get one of those fake leather facial interfaces so it’s easy to wipe clean when you’re done. The foam ones get nasty with accumulated sweat.

The battery strap or some other method for putting weight on the back of the headset makes it more comfortable to move your head around quickly. Out of the box it’s front-heavy and swinging your head around doesn’t feel great.

chixdiggit

Quest 2 works well for this, but I’m of the opinion it needs multiple comfort upgrades if you’re going to exclusively use it for fitness.

Sweat in VR can be uncomfortable, especially for a headset that gets as hot as the Quest 2. Get one of those fake leather facial interfaces so it’s easy to wipe clean when you’re done. The foam ones get nasty with accumulated sweat.

The battery strap or some other method for putting weight on the back of the headset makes it more comfortable to move your head around quickly. Out of the box it’s front-heavy and swinging your head around doesn’t feel great.
It does now ship with a rubbery type face seal.
A headset upgrade is mandatory though. You can find great ones for $50. The stock headstrap really is garbage.

hlm666

The quest 2 for the price is such a no brainer if you want in now.

Unfortunetly psvr2 needed to come out this year to capitalise on it being the best of the best. Meta will have cambria out this year with eye and face tracking plus better lenses (pancake instead of fresnel) reducing the thickness of the hmd and the controllers will have there own cameras so they can track themselves and not lose tracking in headset dead spots and also have full colour passthrough high res cameras for AR applications. It will still be a good vr device but it's not going to be cutting edge when it releases next year.

RavageX

I appreciate all the feedback folks, Im gonna go ahead and get it, I can get about $70 off so I'll probably go ahead and get a different strap/battery addon. Saw one highly reviewed at about $90 for both.

At length my exercises with it would be at an hour a day, so if the battery lasts at least that long its fine.

This im hoping will help me with the days where I just dont have time for my normal routines.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I appreciate all the feedback folks, Im gonna go ahead and get it, I can get about $70 off so I'll probably go ahead and get a different strap/battery addon. Saw one highly reviewed at about $90 for both.

At length my exercises with it would be at an hour a day, so if the battery lasts at least that long its fine.

This im hoping will help me with the days where I just dont have time for my normal routines.
The Quest 2 battery lasts about 2hrs for gaming, so you don't really need another battery.

Quest 2, last I checked, had been shipping with VRCover face cushion since last year, so you don't really need a different face cushion. *EDIT* Looks like they ship with a silicone cushion cover instead of the VRCover cushion now.

While you should get at least a headstrap cushion, you don't need the expensive or fancy ones. I have this headstrap cushion from a different brand, but it looks like the exact same thing and only cost $12. That's how much you need to shell out to have a good experience.

If you plan on going full blast on something like Beat Saber on Ex+, then I'd recommend some grips, too. These are sold under different brand names, mine were "CNBEYOUNG". They run about $18 and the way the little hoops secure the grips onto the controller halo make them a better choice than most other grips.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I gotta admit - the "bring a keyboard* into VR" feature is kind of cool. Apple keyboard is recognized by Quest 2 and it's able to render an approximation of the keyboard inside the headset.

*only the Logitech K830 and Apple Magic Keyboard seems to be recognized at this time.

Of note - when you type the headset turns on this partial pass through mode where you can see your hands in black and white hovering over the keyboard that's rendered in the headset.

Put that together with their hands tracking and it all sort of works. Of course it's nowhere near as precise as a mouse currently but it's somewhat functional as a stand alone internet device that can run multiple apps.

Gotta try the sanctioned sideloading a bit later, and maybe look into how mouse tracking works (if it's there at all).

Honestly I would just set up a 2 minute alternating 1 minute timer on my phone and shadow box. If you really want to feel the workout get a heavy bag as well.

Top Bottom