• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR players - do you also have a problem with sweating bullets while playing games in a standing position?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Before you make any assumptions, I will admit that I am fairly overweight. However, it's not about overexerting myself because I do exercise six times a week for about 40-60 minutes per day, and I can do regular daily activities without breaking a sweat.

But for some reason, whenever I play something in VR, even if it's a game with fairly low amount of movement aside from arms, I'm literally pouring buckets. It's almost as much as when I'm doing 40 minutes of intense cardio on a stationary bike. I played about 3 hours of Battle Sister today and after a while I could feel sweat dripping from my elbows and a wet carpet under my feet. It's crazy.

I'm just wondering if this is common or if I'm at least not alone in this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

I don't think I've ever not sweat my ass off playing VR.

Having played through Half-Life: Alyx I was constantly having to take a break every few hours, fighting my will to want to keep going and having so much fun over the fact that I was very sweaty and gross.

It is what it is, my mother has her own VR setup and she's a very athletic and in shape person and she sweats her ass off playing shit too.

You naturally release a lot of heat from the top of your head and if you have a giant heat generating screen and straps and shit covering your head and face...there's not much you can do about it.

Don't sweat it, just have fun. And keep a towel close.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Username checks out.

I only played VR twice and one time was seated with twin joysticks in Overload and the other was standing and moving a lot with Gorn, I'm a waif of a man who weighs 125 pounds and I was sweating like hell with the latter but even the former I was quite het up so I think its normal.

Off-topic: If you're exercising that much are you actually losing some of the excess weight? Seems like you should be on the way to a good healthy weight if you've also been watching your calorie intake. My flatmate was morbidly obese and doing really well at his diet, had lost a lot, but 2 months ago he fell off the diet and almost instantly put it all back on, he's not in a good place mentally... I say that because I encourage you to lose the weight if you can mate, you'll be so much happier in life generally.

Crayon

Nah but i don't sweat much until I'mm doing something pretty intensive like actually working in the heat.

If im playing a bunch of beat saber, it does get a little foggy in there so I take off the light shroud and then it's just a lil hot under the headband.

Thaedolus

Yeah, Index gets pretty warm stuck to my face. In the summer, even in my cooler downstairs where my setup is it can be pretty warm in standing games. Especially ones that require lots of movement like Beat Saber. In the fall/winter it’s not much of a problem though, because unless I turn on a space heater downstairs it feels like an ice box.

There’s a reason people have fans that insert into the front of the Index and run off the USB port.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Username checks out.
lmao, true
I only played VR twice and one time was seated with twin joysticks in Overload and the other was standing and moving a lot with Gorn, I'm a waif of a man who weighs 125 pounds and I was sweating like hell with the latter but even the former I was quite het up so I think its normal.

Off-topic: If you're exercising that much are you actually losing some of the excess weight? Seems like you should be on the way to a good healthy weight if you've also been watching your calorie intake. My flatmate was morbidly obese and doing really well at his diet, had lost a lot, but 2 months ago he fell off the diet and almost instantly put it all back on, he's not in a good place mentally... I say that because I encourage you to lose the weight if you can mate, you'll be so much happier in life generally.
Yeah, I've been watching my calorie intake recently and it just started to pay off. I'm making steady progress towards losing that excess weight.

It's like the main reason why I was so surprised that I was sweating this much with so little effort put into the game because aside from still having that excess weight, I probably haven't been in such a good form in years.

ZoukGalaxy

To be honest, no, it doesn't happen to me.

The only time I'm sweating is for game like CREED (PS VR) when you are really immersed and starting to punch a little too much ^^

boxing match GIF by Circa Survive

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I most definitely couldn't play VR in the summer, its too damn hot with it on. Depending on the game though, i could work up a bit of sweat and exercise. I only can play in hour intervals though before my face starts feeling irritating

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm a slim dude (1'80 m, 72 kg) and some games like Pistol Whip or Until You Fall make me sweat like a pig.

I also get tired with games that make me stand still for some reason. Maybe it's the tension of the game translating to my muscles? Dunno.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It depends on the headset. I was fine playing 7 hours straight of alxy in oculus cv1.
I was not ok doing the same in rift s or quest

spawn

The only time that I was sweating a lot are in these VR boxing games like Creed or Knockout league. Sometimes my feet start to hurt with games that have you standing in one spot and I would prefer to use a stool or sit on the sofa just for comfortability

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly if you find yourself sweating bullets I would get that checked out, might be lead poisoning. On the brightside you could always rebox and sell the bullets, just don't tell people where they came from.

Top Bottom