• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyliethicc

Vincent Teoh is reporting via Sony that the new Sony 2022 TVs, such as the 4K OLED A90K, will have VRR at launch this spring.

He says there is also going to be a firmware update for PS5 to enable VRR.

"VRR at launch coinciding with the imminent arrival of VRR on the PS5 following a firmware update."

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Guardians Of The Galaxy Marvel GIF

Elios83

Firmware update is imminent, new TVs will support VRR at launch.
55 A95K QD-OLED model is really really tempting this year, please don't cost more than 2500$ :messenger_open_mouth::messenger_sunglasses:

ManaByte

Gold Member
this is based on infos pro journalists got at CES.

Sony's CES presentation isn't for another 7+ hours, the CES floor isn't open yet, and all people are going off of is a press release Sony just issued. This is no different than the earlier speculation.

Elios83

Sony's CES presentation isn't for another 7+ hours, the CES floor isn't open yet, and all people are going off of is a press release Sony just issued. This is no different than the earlier speculation.

Journalists have been under NDA about the CES announcements since December.
Vincent Teoh is as reputable as you can get about TVs.
When something it's just his opinion he always states it clearly in his videos. He made a pretty definitive statement here.

Last edited:

tommib

Is it true that VRR degrades the image quality? Do games need to be patched for VRR support? I know nothing about this.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Is it true that VRR degrades the image quality? Do games need to be patched for VRR support? I know nothing about this.
120Hz with VRR is known to cause some raised black levels on older LG OLEDs (C9, CX), I believe. Something about bandwidth not being high enough and compromising on gamma? Someone please check me on this.

no and no.

it doesn't degrade image quality and VRR is basically the GPU and monitor talking to each other.

without VRR think of it like this:

monitor: i am 60hz and that's all i will do
gpu: but i can only do 40fps.
monitor: i am 60hz and that's all i will do! enjoy your stuttering/input lag.

with VRR think of it like this:

monitor: i am 60hz!
gpu: ok but i can only do 40fps
monitor: ok then i will lower to 40hz for you.
gpu: thanks, ok now i can maybe manage 45fps
monitor: i will do 45hz now.

Elios83

1. Software updates on both PlayStation®5 and BRAVIA are required, and will be available by end of January 2022.

Edit: old page with last year info, mistake sorry.

Last edited:
120Hz with VRR is known to cause some raised black levels on older LG OLEDs (C9, CX), I believe. Something about bandwidth not being high enough and compromising on gamma? Someone please check me on this.
that's an issue with the displays. VRR on it's own does not affect image quality. the reason VRR has issues on LG oleds is because LG have a weird ass gamma curve tied to refresh rate. blame LG for that.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

1. Software updates on both PlayStation®5 and BRAVIA are required, and will be available by end of January 2022.

That's not about VRR. That's the auto tone mapping. The 2021 TVs already got that update.

One day I'll learn what this is and why everyone cares about it.

... but not today!
VRR = Variable Refresh Rate.

displays have a refresh rate (60, 120, and 144hz are most common at the moment) which is not the same as frame rate but they are related. say you have a TV that is 60Hz refresh rate then for a 1:1 ratio you'd want content at 60fps. that way every time the TV refreshes there is a new frame ready to go at that exact same time. if you have too high or lower a framerate against the refresh rate then you're either wasting processing power or giving yourself issues like judder/stutter/input lag (for lower)/screen tearing. for example, say you're watching a movie which is shot at ~24fps and you have a 60hz display then, because 24 doesn't divide equally into 60, it will cause a stuttering effect.

anyway, VRR is aimed at games because games run at a common framerates like 30, 60, 120fps but they don't always stick to their limits. games that target 30fps might drop to 28, 25, 23fps. games that target 60fps might drop to 55, 50, 45fps. games that target 120fps might drop to 110, 90, 80fps. if Vsync is enable on your display you will experience input lag and stuttering as frames are held over multiple Hz. if Vsync isn't enabled and framerate doesn't match refresh rate you will experience screen tearing. if your refresh rate is 60fps and a game does 40 or 70fps then you might see two frames on screen at once (which is tearing).

VRR eliminates the input lag, stuttering, and screen tearing found in games as a result of vsync or mismatched refresh rates. the display can adjust its refresh rate to match the exactly fps a game has. example, i have a 144hz monitor. if i can run a game at 144fps then there is a 1:1 ratio but it's not realistic to expect all games to run at 144fps consistently as it will sometimes drop to 110, 100, 90, 80fps. so when a game is struggling and can only manage 103fps then the display will drop from 144hz to 103hz in order to keep a 1:1 ratio. if the game drops to 68fps then the refresh rate of the display goes to 68hz.

some displays have a VRR window which is usually 20, 40, 48hz. what that means is if the framerate goes that low then the display can't match it anymore but there is a feature called LFC (low frame compensation) which essentially doubles what ever the framerate is. so if framerate is 10fps the display is 20hz. if framerate is 42fps then the TV goes to 84hz.

VRR works by having the GPU and monitor sync with each other (hence Gsync, Freesync). your GPU says here are 51 frames for ya and the monitor goes to 51hz. the next second the gpu says here are 48 frames so the monitor goes to 48hz. the next second the gpu says here are 60 frames so the monitor goes to 60hz.

Last edited:

tommib

that's an issue with the displays. VRR on it's own does not affect image quality. the reason VRR has issues on LG oleds is because LG have a weird ass gamma curve tied to refresh rate. blame LG for that.
Thanks man. All clear. Might end up upgrading from my 55XG8505 to one of the new 55 inch Bravia XR. Big might. I’m still fully happy with my TV.

kyliethicc

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

starcraft-hell-its-about-time.gif

Would be a nice bonus if after this wait some other display technologies came along for the ride, though I doubt it. Freesync rather than just VRR, 1440p, ultrawide...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wait for the official PR on the PSblog since you're so skeptical ;)

Did you even look at the link? That's an old page. I have an X90J. It got the firmware update for the PS5 auto tone mapping about a month ago. Look at that page, there is nothing talking about VRR there. It's all about the auto-settings Bravia's have for the PS5. The January 2022 date was them covering their ass. The update is already out. If you have one of the 2021 TVs, and update it, the next time you turn on your PS5 it'll detect the settings and auto-configure the HDR.

Do you even have one of these Bravias or a PS5 or are you just console warring?

Last edited:

TheFawz

Took them long enough. Hope it doesn't have issues and they also include support for 1440p soon

At this point unfortunately I guess they won't be able to do anything about the HDMI 2.1 port bandwidth being limited to 32GB compared to XSX's 40GB and GPU's 48GB

yurinka

Is it true that VRR degrades the image quality?
No.
Do games need to be patched for VRR support? I know nothing about this.
Unless Sony implements it at a sytem/OS level for everything, yes.

VRR it's basically G-Sync or FreeSync, a faster alternative to V-Sync. In PC, at OS/GPU driver level you can force V-Sync or VRR for everything, disable it for everything or to let the games to decide to use them or not.

I assume that once Sony implements this on PS5 it will be the option to force it for all games (in tvs that support VRR), but there is also the option to keep it up to the devs to make sure they don't break something in older games.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

I think you should credit the source in the title or list it as a "Rumor" instead of "News" as you have it. The way it's done looks as if this was an announcement/confirmation from Sony. Unless there's something I'm missing?

Riky

$MSFT
Seems like it is coming…
I wonder what Ricky will be talking after 🤔

Riky Riky Time for you for you to order PS5

Also good shit, VRR enables devs target higher frames, something like they did in Ratchet and Clank, but easier and with possible less input latency. Very excited what devs come with.

Ive already got a PS5, had one ages.

I'll be talking about all the apologies and backpedalling when people realise what a great feature it is.

ethomaz

Banned
Ive already got a PS5, had one ages.

I'll be talking about all the apologies and backpedalling when people realise what a great feature it is.
Not better than you know have solid framerate.
It is a bandaid feature… you need it when you are already hurt… when you are good you don’t need it.

Of course after PS5 get it you will no more make it like a god send feature better than what it is made for 👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom