• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Personally could careless. VRR via Freesync I have on my Xbox Series X (my setup is simple):

1. 2021 Neo QD-LED (Samsung

My setup is simple.

1. 2021 Samsung QN90A (QD-QLED) has everything besides Dolby vision. ALLM, Game mode optimizer, VRR via Freesync (Freesync Premium Pro) HDR1000, HDMI 2.1, BFI, etc. It has next to even LG C1s OLED one of the lowest input lag even outside of game mode. Also being a non OLED it has a much higher onscreen brightness (nearly 1600 nits peak brght).

As for console I use the Xbox Series X. With a recent 2TB SSD Seagate expansion (ontop of the 1TB internal). So 3TB total an then a simple subscription to Gamepass. I DL game, update...an then this specific TV was built in relationship w Microsoft directly (collab between Samsung n microsoft) to allow the TV to adjust the Series x on the fly. HDR settings, 1440p support, VRR (via Freesync not HDMI) and it.works for many games...i really dont even care about 120hz support despite it bein highly touted for this gen. I just want to see even 1440p [or native 4k w scaling n features like.DLSS) with 60FPs locked (in performance modes) with HDR and VRR enabled which reduces screen tearing. I have seen 4k w scaling(1800p or w/e) /60 fps/HDR/VRR or 1440p/60fps/HDR/VRR. Some.kinks to.work out but mostly works on almost.almost all titles...even DF has showcased this for s majority of titles (AC Valhalla, backwards compat w many current titles like No Mans Sky, Metro, etc)

So it may not be some groundbreaking be all end all feature but it does work an from what Ive seen so far I havr no complaints. Then again what I know is limited. I like the features like quick resume, game mode optimizer, VRR Premium Pro via Freesync an 1440p support that Series X has had for awhile. Hell even last gen One X had VRR (i think isnt there 2 options like Forum VRR an Freesync Premium Pro.

All i know is ps5 supports VRR via HDMI but for whatever reason hasnt enabled the feature which I assume is bc their Bravia line of XR televisions (both OLED an LED) have yet to begin rolling out the features for these Tvs.
chair table GIF by South Park

ethomaz

Banned
Not to burst anyone's bubble of hope here for VRR to come in the next firmware update I'm in the latest Beta and there is no VRR feature in sight. I've checked everywhere and if anyone wants to take a 2nd look be my guest but I do not see anything as far as VRR goes as a feature being added in the next update.
The Beta add things with updates.

Not to burst anyone's bubble of hope here for VRR to come in the next firmware update I'm in the latest Beta and there is no VRR feature in sight. I've checked everywhere and if anyone wants to take a 2nd look be my guest but I do not see anything as far as VRR goes as a feature being added in the next update.
VRR doesn't need to be in the beta.It is called beta for a reason,to test some features.VRR doesn't need testing at all on the GPU(console)side,means the PS5.VRR only needs testing on the panel side(TV,MONITOR)because there are many different panel types with different technology and SOC's.The most work is done by the panel,the GPU just sends the signal from the hdmi board.VRR will come very soon,probably in the next stable major update by the end of March.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
i hope this comes soon enough so we can shut about it and go back complain about the lack of folders.
You can pin the games you want in the Dashboard.
I don’t know if Folder is really that useful.

For me folders are to archive games like the game you won’t play anymore you put on folder… I delete them instead.

Last edited:

Shmunter

This makes no sense. If you need to patch it in the game, it's a different thing. Gsync and Freesync are hardware features. If your GPU and your display support it, they do it hard while you just watch.

I don't even understand how a software implementation would work.
It’s not so crazy. Games are all running at 60hz for all intents and purposes. Internally their framerate may vary, but for the system to know that - it has to be informed somehow. If the api’s weren’t there from the beginning then there is no reason to think VRR will be universal.

FingerBang

It’s not so crazy. Games are all running at 60hz for all intents and purposes. Internally their framerate may vary, but for the system to know that - it has to be informed somehow. If the api’s weren’t there from the beginning then there is no reason to think VRR will be universal.
I've never heard of games running at different framerates internally and externally, it makes sense. I guess then the question becomes: Is that enforced by the OS or is it done on a game by game basis?

Because in the first case VRR would just work. If that's enforced by the game, then a patch would be needed. I have no experience developing on consoles, but I also want to believe that Sony devs would future proof their stuff for something they knew was coming and that the magic API that enforces the 60fps refresh rate allows it for being variable if VRR is active.

Shmunter

I've never heard of games running at different framerates internally and externally, it makes sense. I guess then the question becomes: Is that enforced by the OS or is it done on a game by game basis?

Because in the first case VRR would just work. If that's enforced by the game, then a patch would be needed. I have no experience developing on consoles, but I also want to believe that Sony devs would future proof their stuff for something they knew was coming and that the magic API that enforces the 60fps refresh rate allows it for being variable if VRR is active.
It may be all hooked up to vblank or something. Problem is were Sony previous API’s monitoring it for useful information such as framerate?

Thing is, console games bring in the SDK api’s into their executables at time of compile, they don’t call on the underlying system later from my understanding. This ensures a standalone, always working binary that doesn’t have the risk of breaking with new system/api/SDK version.

This may not be wholistic, and may not be as stringent as it once was, no idea. Bait if it is, and no VRR usable info was included in the SDK at the time of compile, the game may not support it.

Saucy Papi

It may be all hooked up to vblank or something. Problem is were Sony previous API’s monitoring it for useful information such as framerate?

Thing is, console games bring in the SDK api’s into their executables at time of compile, they don’t call on the underlying system later from my understanding. This ensures a standalone, always working binary that doesn’t have the risk of breaking with new system/api/SDK version.

This may not be wholistic, and may not be as stringent as it once was, no idea. Bait if it is, and no VRR usable info was included in the SDK at the time of compile, the game may not support it.
Does this go back to Sony not having an abstraction layer on their side? Because Microsoft just updated their OS and it worked. Granted, they may have updated their layer as well but we may have just not heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom