• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankWza

It's okay pal. I doubt you even have VRR but you'll use it in your console wars in the DF threads. We all know that's going to happen. So predictable lol
Episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Bruh, the way the poor guy has been singled out by most of the PS fanbase here for championing VRR, it'll only be fair.

He’s not a poor guy. He basically brought it upon himself given his history. It’s why the mods gave him that tag and that’s not console warriors that did that.

As much as you wish it Riky Riky has nothing to do with the PS5 getting VRR.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He’s not a poor guy. He basically brought it upon himself given his history. It’s why the mods gave him that tag and that’s not console warriors that did that.

As much as you wish it Riky Riky has nothing to do with the PS5 getting VRR.

No shit, lol. I never called him a Sony system engineer. But the irony will be palpable when the same users who would call him out for VRR start praising the feature themselves.

ethomaz

Banned
WTF is wrong with you? What does a feature that was announced as part of the specs of a console and purported to come via a future update have to do with anyone here?
Well if you not related Rick every time you read VRR then there is something wrong here because he is basically VRR marketing guy.

It is like when you see Ronald you know it is about Mc’Donalds.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well if you not related Rick every time you read VRR then there is something wrong here because he is basically VTR marketing guy.

Exactly, you can't talk about VRR on GAF without someone tagging the poor guy in.

The difference is the other users won’t be so obsessed with VRR that they get a tag because of it.

VRR is a nice feature to have but it’s not a magic bullet. End of story.

We will see lol.

Don't play dumb. You know why people call him out for his constant use of VRR as win for XSX/S in a console comparison thread even when PS5 has a performance lead.

See, this is exactly the kind of post I said what I said lol.

-

Anyway, we've been tagging the poor guy his notifications will be blowing up when he comes online.

Don't play dumb. You know why people call him out for his constant use of VRR as win for XSX/S in a console comparison thread even when PS5 has a performance lead.

Pretty much on my screen the PS5 plays Elden Ring the best. But on a screen with VRR the XSX version will appear smoother. But I still wouldn’t call it a one sided victory with the other downsides that it has. if the PS5 gets VRR comparisons will be a little different for those with those types of screens.

Tripolygon

Banned
Well if you not related Rick every time you read VRR then there is something wrong here because he is basically VTR marketing guy.

Not really, I relate VRR with Freesync and Gsync and HDMI standards the industry is adopting. VRR does not need a marketing guy as it is a really good feature if you have a TV that supports it. It is like ALLM or HGIG, HDR, eARC.

It is another thing to associate VRR with someone using it as a console war rhetoric because one console has it and the other is getting it in a future update.
Anyway, we've been tagging the poor guy his notifications will be blowing up when he comes online.
Don't tag people unnecessarily. You can still make your point without tagging someone.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Not really, I relate VRR with Freesync and Gsync and HDMI standards the industry is adopting. VRR does not need a marketing guy as it is a really good feature if you have a TV that supports it. It is like ALLM or HGIG, HDR, eARC.

It is another thing to associate VRR with someone using it as a console war rhetoric because one console has it and the other is getting it in a future update.

Don't tag people unnecessarily. You can still make your point without tagging someone.
I really doubt it when you read VRR you don’t think on Rick… that is an automatic human behavior… but that my opinion over anymore that follow this forum.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I really doubt it when you read VRR you don’t think on Rick… but that my opinion over anymore that follow this forum.
No, not really, I have a TV from 2020 that has VRR and it is not something I dedicate any time thinking about, but I'm quickly reminded every time I enter a performance thread because it is used as console war rhetoric. It is a good feature if you have it as it reduces screen judder. Any feature that one console has another does not have is used as a console war device.

Last edited:

adamsapple

No, not really, I have a TV from 2020 that has VRR and it is not something I dedicate any time thinking about, but I'm quickly reminded every time I enter a performance thread because it is used as console war rhetoric. It is a good feature if you have it as it reduces screen judder. Any feature that one console has another does not have is used as a console war device.

That's the thing, VRR is supposed to be a set it and forget it feature. Most people wouldn't even worry about it.

But ever since we've started DF article starting to use it as a defining thing in their comparisons, it's become a hot button topic for those who can use it and those who can't.

ethomaz

Banned
He’s not championing VRR, he’s championing a feature Xbox has that PS5 doesn’t to promote series S. VRR probably looks like ass on his budget screen and probably doesn’t even use it.
He has the same TV as me I believe.
And I don’t say that as something bad in any way.
The reason he does that is his own.

I just remember him when read VRR and that is normal.

Chukhopops

Some really weird and pathetic obsession displayed here, Jesus.

I’m curious what will happen once the feature is out, will third parties start pushing higher resolutions at the cost of some high 50s framerate drops (which are irrelevant once VRR is enabled)? I still think first party games will target 60 fps locked but for the rest it’s going to be interesting once the tech is available everywhere.

Some really weird and pathetic obsession displayed here, Jesus.

I’m curious what will happen once the feature is out, will third parties start pushing higher resolutions at the cost of some high 50s framerate drops (which are irrelevant once VRR is enabled)? I still think first party games will target 60 fps locked but for the rest it’s going to be interesting once the tech is available everywhere.

Well the differences in framerate could be due to the hardware itself. I guess we have to wait and see if anything changes.I personally don’t believe that devs are ignoring performance on the XSX due to VRR.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Well the differences in framerate could be due to the hardware itself. I guess we have to wait and see if anything changes.I personally don’t believe that devs are ignoring performance on the XSX due to VRR.
I don’t mean in the context of XSX vs PS5. My point is, if you can push 60 fps locked at a resolution of x you can increase the resolution and have below 60 fps in rare scenarios. It gives a lot of flexibility basically.

So I’m curious whether third parties in particular will change their optimization strategy once the patch is out. I still think first parties will target 60 fps locked.

I don’t mean in the context of XSX vs PS5. My point is, if you can push 60 fps locked at a resolution of x you can increase the resolution and have below 60 fps in rare scenarios. It gives a lot of flexibility basically.

So I’m curious whether third parties in particular will change their optimization strategy once the patch is out. I still think first parties will target 60 fps locked.

Well only to those with VRR sets. The ones without it can end up having a bad time. I don’t think developers are going to ignore that group to be fair.

Duchess

I fear when VRR is patched on PS5 Rick will cease to exists and be forgotten in GAF.
Nah, he's like gaming's Candyman.

You just gotta mention "Series S", "performance", and something about lack of ray tracing, and he'll pop right up.

If you're after Darkmage, just be a bit more direct and say no fuckers wants to buy that console, due to lack of features :)

(speaking of thing hanging around on shelves, the Series X has been in stock on Amazon UK now for well over 24 hours ...)

Nah, he's like gaming's Candyman.

You just gotta mention "Series S", "performance", and something about lack of ray tracing, and he'll pop right up.

If you're after Darkmage, just be a bit more direct and say no fuckers wants to buy that console, due to lack of features :)

(speaking of thing hanging around on shelves, the Series X has been in stock on Amazon UK now for well over 24 hours ...)

Oh jeez we are not going to stop seeing that Series S pushing the PS5 comment right?

:messenger_fearful:

adamsapple

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I fear when VRR is patched on PS5 Rick will cease to exists and be forgotten in GAF.

That is not something cool :(

Yeah Neogaf woudnt be the same without Riky ( As much as I like him lauging and empathying my comments from the opposite side lol ).

Plus theres probably gonna be VRR comparison videos, he’ll be around haha

ethomaz

Banned
How do you compare VRR?

:messenger_sad_relieved:
In the console side not sure because VRR is not done there… console just send the data/signal.

On TV you can compare… LG has issues with color and gama when using VRR… Sony old TVs received a bad VRR support with a lot of issues…. new Sony TVs (2021) seems to have the best VRR implementation so far… at least the one with less issues if any.

In the console side not sure because VRR is not done there… console just send the data/signal.

On TV you can compare… LG has issues with color and gama when using VRR… Sony old TVs received a bad VRR support with a lot of issues…. new Sony TVs (2021) seems to have the best VRR implementation so far… at least the one with less issues if any.

This is going to be very annoying then if it’s mostly dependent on the screen.

Venuspower

LG has issues with color and gama when using VRR

I have not seen a color issue yet. But the gamma issue you are talking about affects all OLED Panels sold by LG Displays. Simply because it is a hardware problem. And does not just affect OLEDs, but all panel types across all manufacturers. However, it is too hard to see on LCDs due to the worse black levels compared to OLEDs. The problem is simply that only a static gamma curve is used. For VRR, however, it actually has to be dynamic.

Samsungs QD-OLEDs should have the same problems unless the problem has already been fixed there.

€: Here is an example of the flickering issue with a Samsung LCD TV:

ASUS monitor:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom