• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be very annoying then if it’s mostly dependent on the screen.
From what I understand how it VRR signal is handled is all dependent on the TVs and the picture processing capabilities they have, the signal going out is standardized in lates HDMI spec so it is no longer proprietary (like FreeSync)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have not seen a color issue yet. But the gamma issue you are talking about affects all OLED Panels sold by LG Displays. Simply because it is a hardware problem. And does not just affect OLEDs, but all panel types across all manufacturers. However, it is too hard to see on LCDs due to the worse black levels compared to OLEDs. The problem is simply that only a static gamma curve is used. For VRR, however, it actually has to be dynamic.

Samsungs QD-OLEDs should have the same problems unless the problem has already been fixed there.

€: Here is an example of the flickering issue with a Samsung LCD TV:

ASUS monitor:

yup nailed it. Every single display has some flickering when using g sync or free sync, it’s just oled shows it more due to infinite blacks.

the thing is you only really notice it on loading screens, it’s really nit as bad as people like to try and make out.

Riky

$MSFT
He’s not championing VRR, he’s championing a feature Xbox has that PS5 doesn’t to promote series S. VRR probably looks like ass on his budget screen and probably doesn’t even use it.

So triggered 😹. Looks great on my screen, everyone will see soon enough, just check that box when it's turned on, you'll thank me later.

Markio128

I can’t wait until I get a VRR enabled TV so that I too can defend the shortfall in my console‘s and/or developers ability to provide a smooth framerate.

Last edited:

FrankWza

If there is any justice in this world, the OT announcing the VRR update releasing on PS5 will have a thanks to Riky Riky .

:messenger_smiling:
Get a vvvvrrrrrroom you two.
Glove Penetration GIF

Last edited:
yup nailed it. Every single display has some flickering when using g sync or free sync, it’s just oled shows it more due to infinite blacks.

the thing is you only really notice it on loading screens, it’s really nit as bad as people like to try and make out.
Exactly. I can't remember who it was (maybe panjaev?) but there's a guy here who turns off VRR because he's afraid of image artifacts. Complete overreaction tbh.

Riky

$MSFT
The problem with that is, I don’t want to play Dying Light 2, but thanks anyway.

But if you did, you'd want the version with a higher framerate, framerate is king after all.

Who would defend the shortfall in a console‘s and/or developers ability to provide the smoothest framerate.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
From the member that “joined”4 months ago.
Get a vvvvrrrrrroom you two.

200.gif

I can’t wait until I get a VRR enabled TV so that I too can defend the shortfall in my console‘s and/or developers ability to provide a smooth framerate.

That's the thing, you won't have to. You can just set it on once and forget about every noticing performance dips and tearing, until the next DF article comes out :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

adamsapple

I don’t notice them now. I’m too busy enjoying playing the game.

I don't know which game you're specifically talking about, but that's the beauty of it. It'll work on all games unless there is a specific issue preventing it from working ala Halo Infinite's 120hz issue.

Markio128

I don't know which game you're specifically talking about, but that's the beauty of it. It'll work on all games unless there is a specific issue preventing it from working ala Halo Infinite's 120hz issue.
I’m currently playing Elden Ring, GTAV (both in fidelity mode) and GT7 and I haven’t noticed any drops or tears. That’s after completing HFW (fidelity), where I also noticed no drops or tears. Elden Ring has received the most criticism regarding frame rates out of those games, but I don’t recall one single time when the frame rate has entered my mind whilst playing.

adamsapple

I’m currently playing Elden Ring, GTAV (both in fidelity mode) and GT7 and I haven’t noticed any drops or tears. That’s after completing HFW (fidelity), where I also noticed no drops or tears. Elden Ring has received the most criticism regarding frame rates out of those games, but I don’t recall one single time when the frame rate has entered my mind whilst playing.

If you didn't notice any drops in ER, more power to you. But there are drops in it, that's a factual thing.

Markio128

If you didn't notice any drops in ER, more power to you. But there are drops in it, that's a factual thing.
Maybe the ER quality mode runs relatively stable on the PS5, I couldn’t tell you, but I haven’t noticed any perceptible blips. I’m trying to recall a game I’ve played this gen that dipped noticeably…. There was Dirt 5 (PS5) for a short time, but that turned out to be a bug that was patched - then, WRC10 also had a few dips before it was patched. Essentially, frame rates haven’t really been an issue this gen, for me at least, especially compared to previous console gens. I think I may have shown more appreciation for VRR back in the N64 days, but we didn’t know better then and we just lived with it.

ethomaz

Banned
Indeed we are
What are Nintendo pure fanboys called? I guess Im half one of those too lol
I’m not sure worldwide but in Japan Nintendo’s fanboys are called Pigs.

Ninpig.

Some calls them Ninbuta from Buddha because Nintendo fans threads the Nintendo’s creator as Buddha.

But in Japan PlayStation fans are called Cockroaches… and Xbox fans are called Perverts.

Last edited:
I’m not sure worldwide but in Japan Nintendo’s fanboys are called Pigs.

Ninpig.

Some calls them Ninbuta from Buddha because Nintendo fans threads the Nintendo’s creator as Buddha.

But in Japan PlayStation fans are called Cockroaches… and Xbox fans are called Perverts.
family guy dancing GIF

Why the heck pervert’s ?

ethomaz

Banned
family guy dancing GIF

Why the heck pervert’s ?
This is is the pic they use…
I don’t know the background behind the name but I will try to search.

06_xbox.png

I know it is “chikan” in Japan that in English translate to “gropers” (it translate to something like “tarado” em Portuguese so I used “pervert” but checking now the right word is “gropers”) and it is just not for Xbox fans… not Microsoft or Windows.

Edit - I found the reason.
When they were interviewing the people on launch Xbox day in Japan at stores the first guy to be interviewed was buying a game called Ryoujoku Chikan Jigoku and he said that was planning to buy a Xbox.

After that several novels and game related to Chikan started to launch on Xbox and the nickname started to be used from others fans bases to base Xbox fans.

PS. Chikan is the act of abuse women on metro/train.

Last edited:
This is is the pic they use…
I don’t know the background behind the name but I will to search.

06_xbox.png

I know it is “chikan” in Japan that in English translate to “gropers” (it translate to something like “tarado” em Portuguese so I used “pervert” but checking now the right word is “gropers”) and it is just not for Xbox fans… not Microsoft or Windows.

It’s just so weird. Don’t really see how being an Xbox fan connects with that.

ethomaz

Banned
It’s just so weird. Don’t really see how being an Xbox fan connects with that.
I updated.

The reason is because the first person interviewed at the Xbox launch was buying a Chikan game and after that Xbox received a lot of Chikan games like light novel and romance simulators.
He was buying a game with that cover:

images

Edit - I found an English article: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/why-xbox-fans-are-called-gropers-in-japan/

Most aí found was either Japanese or Portuguese so I did not post them.

Last edited:
I updated.

The reason is because the first person interviewed at the Xbox launch was buying a Chikan game and after that Xbox received a lot of Chikan games like light novel and romance simulators.
He was buying a game with that cover:

images

Edit - I found an English article: https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/07/why-xbox-fans-are-called-gropers-in-japan/

Most aí found was either Japanese or Portuguese so I did not post them.

Ok that makes more sense to me. Funny how it all started and thanks for doing the research.

Yeah we can move on from framerate and on to resolution, enjoy.

A lot of people are going to be disappointed that the two are going to be extremely close. It’s going to be sad to see people bring up all sorts of excuses when the two are extremely close to each other.

But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing since both are extremely well designed consoles.

Maybe the ER quality mode runs relatively stable on the PS5, I couldn’t tell you, but I haven’t noticed any perceptible blips. I’m trying to recall a game I’ve played this gen that dipped noticeably…. There was Dirt 5 (PS5) for a short time, but that turned out to be a bug that was patched - then, WRC10 also had a few dips before it was patched. Essentially, frame rates haven’t really been an issue this gen, for me at least, especially compared to previous console gens. I think I may have shown more appreciation for VRR back in the N64 days, but we didn’t know better then and we just lived with it.
Do you know of WRC10 fixed the gamma issue that was in wrc9 on ps5 where it was too dark, especially in cockpit view? Also, do you know if the handling is just as twichy on a controller as wrc9? I gave up on that game due to those things.

Markio128

Do you know of WRC10 fixed the gamma issue that was in wrc9 on ps5 where it was too dark, especially in cockpit view? Also, do you know if the handling is just as twichy on a controller as wrc9? I gave up on that game due to those things.
I’m struggling to remember to be honest because I haven’t played it for a couple of months. I don’t recall any gamma issue. Funnily enough, I actually preferred WRC9 to WRC10, so take from that what you will.

twilo99

Every game on a VRR capable machine should ship with unlocked frame rate. Why cap games at 60fps at all when you have VRR capability?

Still no news? Saw a bunch of new posts and expected something.

They might go for a "per game basis" for their version of VRR, its a standard/system wide thing, but I guess the latest rumor is that Sony is doing something special.

Last edited:

Rayderism

Something I worry about is that once PS5 does get VRR, devs will get sloppy and future games will be screen tearing all over the place, and they will just be like, "Just use VRR to fix it.....everyone's TV's has VRR, right?"

Banned
Something I worry about is that once PS5 does get VRR, devs will get sloppy and future games will be screen tearing all over the place, and they will just be like, "Just use VRR to fix it.....everyone's TV's has VRR, right?"

have you not witnessed last gen games? devs do that without VRR too :D but now we have a weapon to fight their shitty optimization with! imagine playing Elden Ring without VRR! the only option to have a decent experience then would be playing the PS4 Pro version on a PS5... not the greatest of options

Kerotan

Every game on a VRR capable machine should ship with unlocked frame rate. Why cap games at 60fps at all when you have VRR capability?

They might go for a "per game basis" for their version of VRR, its a standard/system wide thing, but I guess the latest rumor is that Sony is doing something special.
What's special about a per game basis?

Lognor

Banned

Per game basis and something special does not sound good. Why can't they just do it like Microsoft? It just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom