• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR TV for PC gaming

Looking to get a new VRR TV and I have some questions, currently I have my gaming PC in my living room so I have both monitor and TV close to each other.
I do all my gaming on the monitor though (144Hz freesync) because the input lag on my TV is atrocious (36 ms at 60Hz).

I'd like to do some couch gaming as well so I need some recommendations for a good VRR TV with low input lag and atleast 120Hz refresh rate.
I've heard about issues with gamma flickering on VRR TVs, is that still an issue and how does it work? Do I have to lock the frame rate or something?
And finally I'm wondering if you can duplicate a VRR signal. Can I get a to both the TV and monitor to use VRR at the same time, or will it only work for one at a time?

I have a HDMI 2.1 cable and a 3080 Ti so I got the hardware covered already.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Its gotta be a TV that supports G-Sync or at least Freesync Premium or else its garbage for 60hz gaming due to the 48hz lower limit of the HDMI Forum VRR implement (like on Sony sets).

If you're outputting 120hz then 48hz-120hz is a fine range I'd guess but I don't know how non G-Sync compatible TVs work with nvidia cards, I don't know if/how Freesync Premium and/or Freesync Premium Pro works with nvidia cards either, so probably best to just avoid Sony for VRR gaming unless its only PS5 and not XS or PC.

Last edited:

Banned
new LGs and Samsungs are the premium gaming TVs, they have by far the lowest latency (Samsung's newest are damn near PC monitor latency) and both have very good VRR capabilities, supporting 1080p, 1440p and 2160p without issue should you want to lower resolutions (some modern games still have no resolution sliders after all 😩)

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
LG OLEDs are the GOAT. Do it.
I love them, but they arent. It took Samsung a single try to make a better OLED consumer TV. Still awesome though, but if I was replacing my OLED today it would 1. Samsung, 2. Sony and 3. LG.

KaiserBecks

I love them, but they arent. It took Samsung a single try to make a better OLED consumer TV. Still awesome though, but if I was replacing my OLED today it would 1. Samsung, 2. Sony and 3. LG.
Which Samsung TV are you talking about? This isn‘t supposed to sound snarky, I‘m genuinely interested.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Which Samsung TV are you talking about? This isn‘t supposed to sound snarky, I‘m genuinely interested.
The S95B QD-OLED. Next year when we get the expanded sizes it'll be the absolute #1 for all size ranges until LG starts producing QD OLEDs or Mini LED arives at the consumer price and size level

Last edited:

Banned

if you want gaming Features, especially for a PC, Sony is a no-go tho.

Sony TVs do not currently support some resolutions. and VRR also aren't supported on every resolution.
the reason the PS5 can't do VRR at 1440p for example is because their TVs literally do not support that

here
Sony A95K
poWdWzN.jpg

VRR
45W1Mam.jpg
byMNXPT.jpg

(1440p is weird on this TV, some older and cheaper models don't support it at all)

Samsung S95B
TI47D2N.jpg

VRR
sbyECUX.jpg

LG C2
94aGmVz.jpg

VRR
gWSh7Ks.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member

Sony TVs do not currently support some resolutions. and VRR also aren't supported on every resolution.
the reason the PS5 can't do VRR at 1440p for example is because their TVs literally do not support that

here
Sony A95K
poWdWzN.jpg

VRR
45W1Mam.jpg
byMNXPT.jpg

(1440p is weird on this TV, some older and cheaper models don't support it at all)

Samsung S95B
TI47D2N.jpg

VRR
sbyECUX.jpg

LG C2
94aGmVz.jpg

VRR
gWSh7Ks.jpg
If I got the Sony, It would 100% be run at 4k/120/4:4:4 by my PC. I see no reason it would ever be in any other mode.

But I also would never get the Sony because I hate Android TV. But I still recgonise they do a better job with LG's panels then LG does themselves.

Last edited:

Banned
If I got the Sony, It would 100% be run at 4k/120/4:4:4 by my PC. I see no reason it would ever be in any other mode.

But I also would never get the Sony because I hate Android TV. But I still recgonise they do a better job with LG's panels then LG does themselves.

well the issue is that some games are still to this day omitting in-game resolution sliders.
so in some instances you might be forced to lower the screen output resolution to reach your desired framerate, in which case you'd have issues on Sony TVs.

which is why for PC especially an LG or Samsung are by far the better choice.
in an ideal world you'd have it set to 4k120hz at all times of course, but that's not realistic on PC imo.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

here
Sony A95K
poWdWzN.jpg

VRR
45W1Mam.jpg
byMNXPT.jpg

Samsung S95B
TI47D2N.jpg

VRR
sbyECUX.jpg

LG C2
94aGmVz.jpg

VRR
gWSh7Ks.jpg

Realistically, are you buying a 2-3k+ TV to play games at 1440? I know I don't.

The Sony is better than the Samsung and the LG for picture quality, only thing I don't like it's it only has 2 hdmi 2.1 ports.

Last edited:

Banned

The Sony is better than the Samsung and the LG for picture quality, only thing I don't like it's it only has 2 hdmi 2.1 ports.

if you play on a PC, yeah, 1440p will come up as something you might want to use.

if the game has no internal res scaling settings and you want high framerate you might want to switch to 1440p.

also if you have a 1440p PC monitor that you also use and you wanna switch between both on the fly (which is what I do for example) having a common resolution is very helpful and keeps issues away like werird scaling of windows elements and Desktop icons moving around etc.

Last edited:
I think as long as you get something with at least Freesync Premium then you should be ok. I picked out a Philips OLED as it has that and is also on Nvidia’s Gsync certified compatibility list, so will LFC down to like 24Hz/fps. Works great with my 2080ti as I can still try to hit higher framerates, but if not there’s always GSync to mop things up so I don’t notice the drops as much.

The VRR flicker I did notice a few times on loading screens when I first got the TV, but it was something you could actually calibrate away on this set so I don’t see it anymore.

I’d say give Panasonic & Philips a look too, but that’s region dependant these days so you may not be able to get their sets where you are

Looking to get a new VRR TV and I have some questions, currently I have my gaming PC in my living room so I have both monitor and TV close to each other.
I do all my gaming on the monitor though (144Hz freesync) because the input lag on my TV is atrocious (36 ms at 60Hz).

I'd like to do some couch gaming as well so I need some recommendations for a good VRR TV with low input lag and atleast 120Hz refresh rate.
I've heard about issues with gamma flickering on VRR TVs, is that still an issue and how does it work? Do I have to lock the frame rate or something?
And finally I'm wondering if you can duplicate a VRR signal. Can I get a to both the TV and monitor to use VRR at the same time, or will it only work for one at a time?

I have a HDMI 2.1 cable and a 3080 Ti so I got the hardware covered already.
Isn’t the s95b capable of supporting 144hz?

new LGs and Samsungs are the premium gaming TVs, they have by far the lowest latency (Samsung's newest are damn near PC monitor latency) and both have very good VRR capabilities, supporting 1080p, 1440p and 2160p without issue should you want to lower resolutions (some modern games still have no resolution sliders after all 😩)
S95b also supports 144hz

The input lag is terrible on Sony’s, vrr has wonky support, lack of hdmi ports, and when it comes ot picture quality it’s movies and tv shows where it’s better on games it doesn’t look as good as the s95b

Zug

Been using a LG G1 65 as a monitor for the past 6 months. Gsync is working good, picture is perfect, no signs of burn in at all (using default LG maintenance features and a black screen saver).
The only negative thing so far would be the power consumption, the thing really sucks a lot of watts.

Just glancing through the thread but any issue with resolution support is easily resolved by adding a custom resolution in CRU or whatever. Support might vary if scaling is left to the TV*, but if you scale via the GPU the output itself will always remain at the native resolution.

*my LG CX will scale arbitrary resolutions just fine though. I have 1620p and 1800p added using display scaling and it's just fine. Even arbitrary refreshes below 120Hz work— I have my HDMI 2.0 pushing 70Hz @ 4K 4:4:4 with reduced blanking

Edit: also my recommendation is always an OLED unless you're in a really bright room. People talk about brightness but in general the brightness you achieve is going to be significantly higher than the average TV with the exception of all-white images, it's just not going to be as dazzling (or perhaps 'blinding') as a premium HDR-supporting LCD. Burn-out is an issue for specific use cases where the same image is on the screen over a loooong period and especially where that is for a disproportionate amount of its use. It's not really an issue for most people at this point but for some it still could be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom