• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture writer ranks all 213 Beatles songs

Megatron

A lot of love for While My Guitar Gently Weeps in here. Looks like we rate it well above the 32 it gets on this list.

I like you. That song makes me feel happy like few others can. It's bright and powerful and beautiful and sounds incredible.

My thoughts exactly. It's one of the few songs that can still make me feel like the world is beautiful, I know that sounds super fucking corny but it's true lol.

MisterR

I mean, I know I'll see agree with a lot of these picks, but let's pick some of my favorite lesser-known Beatles songs—

Well then, he's goes all in.

(No Beatle is playing on "Eleanor Rigby" either, you idiot, and you put that one at #9.)

As for the top pick, the ending crescendo and piano chords is probably one of the best endings to a piece of music, ever, but I'm not personally a fan of "A Day in the Life" insofar as everything that comes before it.

His list is poorly written garbage. Reads like a list of best Beatles songs by somebody who hates the Beatles.

Ok so I laughed out loud when I read this comment on Helter Skelter:

"The trouble with too many of his compositions is that they turn in on themselves; they have no meaning outside of the actual song"

Wat. Why should every piece of art or a song have an easily recognised external "meaning"? How about just being a great song? Why does everything have to be so overanalyzed in the sense that you have to find a meaning that you can put into words? Yeah, this writer really hates McCartney...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My thoughts exactly. It's one of the few songs that can still make me feel like the world is beautiful, I know that sounds super fucking corny but it's true lol.
Oh no, not at all, it isn't corny or cheesy or anything. Sometimes you need that extra dose of optimism to carry on, and this song is perfect for that. It's like injecting serotonin straight into your veins, with those guitars and harmonies and synth that instantly make you smile. Those are the most perfect 3 minutes ever recorded.

Most people do. Especially those that had to listen to his various boring ballads.
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs. What's wrong with that?

The line: "little darling, I feel the ice is slowly melting" has legitimately made me tear up. The understated tenderness and beauty of "Here Comes the Sun" is really something.

This acoustic version George did on SNL is breathtaking: https://youtu.be/_4B9orDIScA

Never going to agree with another person's list of Beatles songs, but it's still fun to read the reasonings.

I think Blackbird is the best song ever written, While My Guitar at #2 and A Day in the Life at #3

I agree with Blackbird and A Day in the Life. Now put also Eleanor Rigby there.

PillarEN

Eleanor Rigby and Dear Prudence in the top 10.

Alright alright alright.
Dear Prudence is probably my favorite at this time. Though Tomorrow Never Knows also is a key one to me and it sits nicely at 12th.

I got no beef with this list. Different from mine as it should be, yet some general agreements.

All you need is love
Here comes the sun
Yesterday
Let it be
You never give me your money

I think those are my top five in no particular order.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I Want You (She's So Heavy) at No. 132 is bullshit, the song is one of the reasons why doom metal is a thing. It's the one Beatles track I keep on my iPod shuffle, after finding one of the early Abbey Road CD releases in a charity shop.

#1 is a great song. But Penny Lane is schmaltzy pop featuring the worst of McCartney's tendencies, and Strawberry Fields is an excellent song that was ruined by overproduction on the record (check out the demos of that song, so much better).

My top 5 is probably:

1. Happiness is a Warm Gun
2. Fixing a Hole (IMO McCartney's best song)
3. Nowhere Man
4. We Can Work It Out
5. A Day in the Life

PillarEN

#1 is a great song. But Penny Lane is schmaltzy pop featuring the worst of McCartney's tendencies, and Strawberry Fields is an excellent song that was ruined by overproduction on the record (check out the demos of that song, so much better).

My top 5 is probably:

3. Nowhere Man
4. We Can Work It Out
5. A Day in the Life

Not surprised that I picked 3/5 from Sgt Pepper's. Maybe not my favorite album to listen to, but it's the Beatles at the peak of their writing and production game.

Actually you have 2 from Sgt. Peppers and 2 from Rubber Soul (We Can Work It Out being recorded but left off of Rubber Soul)

Figgles

In My Life and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are 1 and 2. The rest of the top 10 would be impossible for me to choose.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The line: "little darling, I feel the ice is slowly melting" has legitimately made me tear up. The understated tenderness and beauty of "Here Comes the Sun" is really something.

This acoustic version George did on SNL is breathtaking: https://youtu.be/_4B9orDIScA
That's a great version, and it just made me smile like a fool on the bus. Thanks for sharing it.

Eleanor Rigby and Dear Prudence in the top 10.

Alright alright alright.
Dear Prudence is probably my favorite at this time. Though Tomorrow Never Knows also is a key one to me and it sits nicely at 12th.

I got no beef with this list. Different from mine as it should be, yet some general agreements.
"Dear Prudence" is mind-blowing. On paper it's so simple, yet it's not. With every verse it slowly grows in intensity and instrumentation, and after the final chorus it becomes quieter again, ending exactly like it started. I love that song!

Damaniel

Banned
Imagine believing it isn't Here Comes the Sun or Norwegian Wood.

Agreed. Maybe not #1 and #2, but damn near the top for both.

shes leaving home at 204???

WRONG

should be at least top 20

Nope. That song is the only thing keeping Sgt Pepper's from being the most perfect record ever produced. Maybe it doesn't belong at the bottom of the list, but it certainly doesn't belong near the top.

PillarEN

I don't mean to shit on Paul (as I don't have it out for any of the Fab Four), but I once read somewhere on the net that starting with Revolver, Paul shifted into writing lyrics for the audience of grandmothers. It gave me a chuckle, but I can't shake it sometimes that really it almost does feel that way.

Moppeh

Banned
Kudos to the writer for doing this. I have trouble even ranking just their albums, ranking all their songs would be nigh impossible for me.

Did this motherfucker really put Dig a Pony at 209?

The segue from when "I Want You" is crescendoing into this mix of sonic overload and awesomeness which unexpectedly stops right in the middle of it leaving everything somewhat unresolved, to then go right into "Here Comes the Sun" is the best music thing ever.

I don't mean to shit on Paul (as I don't have it out for any of the Fab Four), but I once read somewhere on the net that starting with Revolver, Paul shifted into writing lyrics for the audience of grandmothers. It gave me a chuckle, but I can't shake it sometimes that really it almost does feel that way.

I think it's more that after hearing the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds album, Paul realized the Beatles could do whatever they wanted instead of just doing rock n' roll tracks. And I think his natural preference is for pop songs. Lennon was always the rock n' roll guy. He kept Paul's baroque and sappy tendencies in check, but Paul also made the Beatles much more than a rock n roll band.

it sucks breh

I like the minor key version. Kind of turned it into a good drinking song.

I like the minor key version. Kind of turned it into a good drinking song.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F476361%2F762dc674-c799-49ab-b3c8-096a0109db3d.jpg

I think if I am going to do a "best of" Beatles list, I have to do it two ways.

List 1: Their biggest accomplishments; songs that had significant musical invention, or whose release was a big deal

1. A Day in the Life (longest ever chord, mixing orchestral music with rock, the nadir of their most important album and a great blend of John + Paul working together)
2. Strawberry Fields Forever (crazy spliced-from-two-takes master track, rich with instrumentation and ideas)
3. Tomorrow Never Knows (playing loops like they are instruments, drone+rock)
4. I Feel Fine (first use of feedback)
5. All You Need is Love (first pop song broadcast simultaneously around the world via satellite)

List 2: My personal favorites; songs I'm not tired of, love unconditionally, and never skip.

1. She Said, She Said
2. I'm Only Sleeping
3. Mother Nature's Son
4. Here Comes the Sun
5. We Can Work it Out
6. With a Little Help From My Friends

65-67 John Lennon songs are just fucking incredible. His contributions to Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's, and the singles adjacent to those albums, are legitimate contenders for the best rock music ever made. He didn't do a single song during those three albums that I don't like, which is nuts.

I think the Abbey Road medley, but particularly the Carry That Weight section would be my favorite Beatles song

I never give you my pillow
I only send you my invitation
And in the middle of the celebrations
I break down

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight

emag

Apropos of this thread/list, I listened to Love again on Spotify today and was reminded of how catchy and fun even the more banal Beatles songs, like The Word, are.

The number of songs I actively dislike could probably be counted on one hand (Run For Your Life is certainly one of them, along with Maxwell's Silver Hammer and some of John's experimental work). That's quite an accomplishment when the library is 200+ songs deep.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

My top 5 is probably:

3. Nowhere Man
4. We Can Work It Out
5. A Day in the Life

Wow someone else gets it.

Griss

Well, he nailed number 1 but it was an easy one. I like the fact that he put the Abbey Road medley all in a row, and I like that it made the top 30. Fucking love the second half of that album. And the whole thing, really. Ranking the songs is pretty much a fools errand so I'll just say regarding the albums from their classic period:

1. Abbey Road
2. Revolver
3. Sgt. Peppers
9001. The White Album

Top Bottom