• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waht is your favourite MH weapon and why.

What is your favourite MH weapon\weapons

• Greatsword

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Longsword

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Switch Axe

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Charge blade

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Insect glaive

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Hammer

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Sword & shield

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Dual blades

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Hunting horn

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Lance

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Gunlance

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Light bow-gun

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Heavy bow-gun

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Bow

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

GymWolf

So fellow hunters, what is your favourite weapon\weapons in MH? (3 choice max)
Remember that you can chose a weapon from a particular mh iteration like rise or world or the one with the anime moves since capcom like to interchange stuff with their weapons.

Mine (all from mh world) are:

lance because it's super precise, you stay in the monster face all the time like a boss (although super skilled players stay close to the mob with every weapon really), it has the easiest counter to pull off, the super defense move, the best shield and the ass-rape run (with jump) when the monster try to escape, i like the paradox of being the slowest weapon but with the fastest run and jump on command without need for a ledge.

Gun-lance, it has great shield, precision and all the exploding cool stuff like wyrmstake and wyvern thingy, also the shell that ignore hard parts, aaaand 3 distinctive playstyles.

Switch axe, i like the moveset, the concept of a double weapon, the sword to ignore armour, the phial damage and the gran boom finale.

Special mention for the bow, agile, powerfull and the special move is just pure bliss when you hit a monster for all his lenght (that sound effect of repeated heavy hits is just sexy)

Right now i'm trying the greatsword and long sword, they are cool but the moveset are a bit too simple maybe? I mean i can't pull off a long sword counter to save my life but for the rest they are pretty straight forward.

Since i'm at home after the small surgery i had yesterday, today i'm gonna try the insect glaive for the first time, always liked the insect thingy, although i have shit aim in mh for some reason and i'm pretty shitty at aerial combat, a big part of the IG.
I kinda wanna try the charge blade but every guide i saw make my brain hurt like a documentary about pronouns.

Edit: fuuuck can some mode fix the what in the title please and thank you?!

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hammer because the learning curve is different from other weapons. As one of only two that focuses on blunt damage and therefore a different side of the monster most people are used to the weapon is all about how to effectively tell what attack a monster is going to make and dodge... as your at its head, every big hit or special attack will be heading your way and you can't just dodge.

You also need to work out the lows in the monsters attack patterns so that you can heavily punish them in the opening you do have. Overall its less about learning the weapon and more about learning the monster's. Plus it's nice to break the parts that other classes tend to struggle with due to blunt damage.

GymWolf

Hammer because the learning curve is different from other weapons. As one of only two that focuses on blunt damage and therefore a different side of the monster most people are used to the weapon is all about how to effectively tell what attack a monster is going to make and dodge... as your at its head, every big hit or special attack will be heading your way and you can't just dodge.

You also need to work out the lows in the monsters attack patterns so that you can heavily punish them in the opening you do have. Overall its less about learning the weapon and more about learning the monster's. Plus it's nice to break the parts that other classes tend to struggle with due to blunt damage.
Shit you make me sound like a caveman noob dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Aren't many weapon based on that concept?!

I'm trying the GS and LS and both weapons are easy to learn and the hard part is to know the monster to evade and attack fluidly to have a constant damage output.

I think that at least half the weapons are based on that concept.

What are the struggling parts? like horns? because from my experience if you have some type of attack that ignore the bounce from hard parts like the sword in the switch axe, the shells in gunlance the special attacks of the LS, the special move of the bow, the counter of the lance etc. you can destroy them kinda easily. (but maybe with the hammer is super easy, never tried myself)

So the hammer is almost useless if you don't hit the head constantly?

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pretty obvious I think

nySKcACuRLjq.png

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Greatsword. I’ve spent countless hours using it so it’s my default in every game. I also enjoy the Longsword, Gunlance and Hammer.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Charge Blade, or Chad Blade, as it's the most versatile one imo, being good at offense, defense, repositioning yourself by just attacking and having the option to use both weaker and faster attacks and slower and stronger attacks.

It also goes boom when you release the charge.

Charge Blade. I love how technical it feels, and the build-up to the final huge damage hit. The additions in Rise were also really fun to mess with, especially the chainsaw mode

Haggard

Banned
Nothing beats a bow or a light bowgun.
Extremely mobile and absurd dmg with high utility via coatings/ammunition-types.
That being said, getting up close and personal and clobbering a monster with a hammer is great fun, too. Or the stylish slashing with a Longsword or or or.....

Probably easier to say which weapons I don`t like:
Sword and Shield, Lance, Hunting Horn, Switch-Axe and Insect glaive.

GymWolf

Pretty obvious I think

nySKcACuRLjq.png

Greatsword. I’ve spent countless hours using it so it’s my default in every game. I also enjoy the Longsword, Gunlance and Hammer.
I'm trying to learn the GS right now so every hint from veterans is well accepted.

I already know the basics like tackle to skip the first 2 level of charge etc., gimme some juicy new stuff please.

GymWolf

I've only played one MH (world) and the greatsword is my favorite weapon of the ones I tried. I like that you can block with it and that every big swing makes you commit. It's like swinging a big dick, which I lack. :messenger_pensive:
DO you use the block? i though it was super unreliable so i really never used it...

Do you have some block jewels in your build to improve the blocking?!

P.s. ok now i remember a guide saying that block eat your sharpness like a deviljho eats a jagras.

Last edited:
DO you use the block? i though it was super unreliable so i really never used it...

Do you have some block jewels in your build to improve the blocking?!

P.s. ok now i remember a guide saying that block eat your sharpness like a deviljho eats a jagras.
No jewels. I just use it as a desperate measure when I OOF my way through a swing and think I left myself open to an attack. I dodge way more than I block, for sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm trying to learn the GS right now so every hint from veterans is well accepted.

I already know the basics like tackle to skip the first 2 level of charge etc., gimme some juicy new stuff please.
Puh, I'll try 10k+ hours of GS into a single post :lol: wish me luck!

But before I start, MHR, GU or World?

GymWolf

Puh, I'll try 10k+ hours of GS into a single post :lol: wish me luck!

But before I start, MHR, GU or World?
World, but don't waste too much time on me, i'm kinda good but light years away from a super technical player, so avoid any super hard stuff please, i don't wanna waste your time with stuff that i'm never gonna be able to pull off. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yoshichan

World, but don't waste too much time on me, i'm kinda good but light years away from a super technical player, so avoid any super hard stuff please, i don't wanna waste your time with stuff that i'm never gonna be able to pull off. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Don't worry, World it is - gimme a few minutes to make a post out of this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Shit you make me sound like a caveman noob dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Aren't many weapon based on that concept?!

Sort of, the best way to put it is that a majority of attacks come from the monsters head, most hunters will therefore attack from the side or rear. There is a little more leeway for avoiding attacks for other weapons as attacks tend to hit directly infront for big damage, especially the breath attacks. In solo obviously any class has to put up with this but for group hunts (which I believe is how Capcom intends people play) you don't get at many openings unless you know exactly what the monster will do at all times and will be punished harshly for not, more so with hammer than any other weapon, hunting horn is debatable because there mechanics can effectively be pulled off without hitting the head, however a good HH will focus the head as well.

What are the struggling parts? like horns? because from my experience if you have some type of attack that ignore the bounce from hard parts like the sword in the switch axe, the shells in gunlance the special attacks of the LS, the special move of the bow, the counter of the lance etc. you can destroy them kinda easily. (but maybe with the hammer is super easy, never tried myself)

There are some monsters that have double break points, and obviously all parts gain more HP the more hunters you have, most monsters will die before you break all the parts unless your using the correct weapon on the correct part, you need too much additional damage to get the break otherwise.

It also means monsters people find irritating like Diablos will lose there horns early with a hammer user around, drastically lowering the danger from his horn sweeps for example.

So the hammer is almost useless if you don't hit the head constantly?

Yes and no, but K.O damage requires on hitting the head. Hammers deal alot of K.O damage meaning you can enjoy a fair few bonus trip's with a hammer doing its job, giving a great opening for the hunter team to get in solid damage.

Hammer also deals exhaustion damage which means monsters will become fatigued much quicker, again allowing for more openings.

Don't get me wrong the weapon itself is mechanically very easy to play, however the incredibly limited attack range, slow attack speed and fact you do your best work directly infront of the most dangeroues part of a monster without the ability to block is the reason you find hammer at the bottom end of weapon usage stats in the playerbase.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Sort of, the best way to put it is that a majority of attacks come from the monsters head, most hunters will therefore attack from the side or rear. There is a little more leeway for avoiding attacks for other weapons as attacks tend to hit directly infront for big damage, especially the breath attacks. In solo obviously any class has to put up with this but for group hunts (which I believe is how Capcom intends people play) you don't get at many openings unless you know exactly what the monster will do at all times and will be punished harshly for not, more so with hammer than any other weapon, hunting horn is debatable because there mechanics can effectively be pulled off without hitting the head, however a good HH will focus the head as well.

There are some monsters that have double break points, and obviously all parts gain more HP the more hunters you have, most monsters will die before you break all the parts unless your using the correct weapon on the correct part, you need too much additional damage to get the break otherwise.

It also means monsters people find irritating like Diablos will lose there horns early with a hammer user around, drastically lowering the danger from his horn sweeps for example.

Yes and no, but K.O damage requires on hitting the head. Hammers deal alot of K.O damage meaning you can enjoy a fair few bonus trip's with a hammer doing its job, giving a great opening for the hunter team to get in solid damage.

Hammer also deals exhaustion damage which means monsters will become fatigued much quicker, again allowing for more openings.

Don't get me wrong the weapon itself is mechanically very easy to play, however the incredibly limited attack range, slow attack speed and fact you do your best work directly infront of the most dangeroues part of a monster without the ability to block is the reason you find hammer at the bottom end of weapon usage stats in the playerbase.
I'm probably gonna try the hammer too during these days (tried briefly before but never liked the moveset or fun\quirky factor)

How do you work with mostly flying mobs like the dragons? i already hate them with traditional weapons so i can't even imagine how annoying they are when the head is the main target.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

Analog stick
- Make sure to always have the left analog stick the opposite side of the monster in order to perform a superman jump. SMJ has full i-frames (invincibility-frames) and will allow you to get out of situations.

GS dash
- Stun value of the dash (that you previously mentioned) is worth ~50, which is almost equal to Hammer charge lvl 3 slamdunk. In other words, use this OFTEN - not only as a way to maneuver yourself past GS charges but also as a way of making enemies
- The GS dash is the only -oh shit- button that GS-users have. Use this if you want to reduce damage of the upcoming monster attack by 80 (!) percent. Yes, that's right. By dashing, you not only pass through the monsters fireballs, groundslam, headbutt - but you also reduce the damage by a huge amount.
- The GS dash allows you to pass through monster roars. This is INSANELY important to 'master' as the GS can really capitalize on having those free 3-4 seconds. Use this time to jump to lvl 3 and punish the crap out of the monster.

Guard
Don't believe the haters. The guard is actually a decent option from time to time. Use this when you have no other options. Which options are there then? If you can't superman jump (see above) and if you can't GS dash - then guard! Understand the fact that you can go from unsheathed weapon to guard in a single frame so use this to your advantage when you want to change directions (360 degrees, no restrictions!) and guard. Note however that guarding completely fucks the durability of your GS.

True Charged Slash
Aka the most broken move in the entire franchise. I don't need to tell you how broken this is once knowing how to use it - HOWEVER, something many people don't know is that the first attack in the TCS NEED to land on an enemy in order for the second attack (the strong one) to become even more powerful. So always make sure to land BOTH attacks so that the last and final attack becomes absolutely bonkers.

These are just basics of the basics but feel free to ask any questions if there are any!

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm probably gonna try the hammer too during these days (tried briefly before but never liked the moveset or fun\quirky factor)

How do you work with mostly flying mobs like the dragons? i already hate them with traditional weapons so i can't even imagine how annoying they are when the head is the main target.

Its hard to describe you start to understand as with any weapon what time is good to get hits in. Flashbombs are of course always useful, and this allows you to build K.O damage which keeps the monster on the ground for longer as well once they fall out the air. Also if a monster is fatigued it won't be flying, so the fact hammer does exhaustion damage is a real boon here.

So while the likes of your classic irritating (I'm in the air too long) rathalos varient can be annoying, surprisingly the monster I always have the most trouble with is Deviljo, this is largely because how much he moves his head and also how tall he is meaning alot of my attacks can never reach it anyway. I end up smacking him in the legs for alot of the fight waiting for a a knock down so I can lay into his head and get another K.O stun on him.

Outside of that terrain, you can charge up a hammer attack and leap off a cliff for a good chunk of damage if it hits, also the sliding spin hammer of doom is a solid way to hit enemies you would not otherwise.... of course with Rise and the wirebug much of these issues are rendered obsolete due to the vertical height of the wire bug hammer attacks.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Hammer is just absolute beast mode, if something flies just find a ledge or a slope or a wall to jump off of.
The thing with hammer is that you are actually very agile, because of the lack of block and the short range.
You can roll out of attacks quickly and sheathing is actually very fast, so you can superman dive when needed on reaction.

And there's nothing better than that feeling of chain ko'ing a monster.

I’m gonna be honest I only really like Monster Hunter when I can play it on a tv on console.The first game I played was Tri on the Wii and I started out with Sword and Shield and long Sword because they seemed the most basic (and Greatsword is too slow for my style).

I was doing well until I got to Barioth. I decided to try out Hammer figuring it would help against it’s armor, and ended up really liking that too. I rocked those three for all of Tri. I tried getting into the PSP/3DS games, but playing on a handheld after playing Tri with a Wii pro controller killed my motivation to dedicate myself to any of them. I didn’t get 3Ultimate even though I had a WiiU because I already played the crap out of the Wii version and didn’t want to buy it again.

So the next game I really sunk my teeth into was World, and goddamn every weapon is super fun in that. Whether it’s Screw attacking with the hammer, goin full anime with the long blade, doing sick status effect-inflicting air combos with the Sword and Shield, or becoming an attack helicopter with the Glaive, World is just fun to play and each weapon feels viable. Then again I never got/played Iceborne so I’m not sure how it is now.

Kacho

Gold Member

It’s so hard to explain when it’s all feeling. It’s like second nature to me now.

Always be rolling after hits.

Always be charging when you can. Charged hits are absolutely devastating.

Learn to shoulder charge to avoid incoming hits (hard to master).

GymWolf

Yeah i'm kinda doing all of this with the GS already (i'm strangely learning at a faster pace with this weapon), but i was not aware that tackle reduce the damage of 80%, holy shit that's a lot, i always shit my pants when i use it against strong attacks like diablos charge.

Learning the timing of tackling through roars is gonna be rough tho.

Do you guys use focus skill to shorten the charge?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Longsword, I love parry in any game, its feels good to pull off and LS has become ultimate parry weapon.

Last edited:
I like Insect Glaive. It's fast and mobile, I like aerial combat and infinite combos. The Kinsects aren't that great, but they do offer some different options for slightly different playstyles. The other weapon I use most is Sword and Shield.

I've tried some other weapons as well, but most are too slow or cumbersome for me. Lance and Gunlance appeal to me conceptually, but just feel sluggish and unresponsive to me. I like the idea of ranged weapons like Bow and HBG/LBG but I hate managing and replenishing the dozens of different of ammo types, as well as changing loadouts all the time. I used hammer for a while in World, and Hunting Horn in Rise, but I prefer the faster weapons I mentioned before.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yeah i'm kinda doing all of this with the GS already (i'm strangely learning at a faster pace with this weapon), but i was not aware that tackle reduce the damage of 80%, holy shit that's a lot, i always shit my pants when i use it against strong attacks like diablos charge.

Learning the timing of tackling through roars is gonna be rough tho.

Do you guys use focus skill to shorten the charge?
Focus skill is so nasty. I definitely have a few load outs that stack it because it feels borderline OP.

Greatsword is so satisfying dude. Seems slow and clunky at first but when it clicks you will be wrecking everything with ease. Great for part breaking as well. Definitely worth the time investment IMO.

Sgt.Asher

Gunlance, ever since i started in 3U. Finding a moment to set off wyverns fire feels great. I do hope the artillery god skill comes back. Just stop nerfing certain aspects of the weapon.

I really liked lance in 4U with evasion stacked, but the evade distance was nerfed severily in world and now gunlance is better at that. It's the same in rise.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Dual Blades. I love finessing the monsters and the contextual attacks are fantastic. It's typically not the best weapon for most situations but I always feel so slow with other weapons. I like the speed, the responsiveness and the potential for both aerial attacks and comboing on the ground.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Switch axe is what I used in Rise. I don't remember if I tried them all or not, but the switch axe is the one that I liked the most.

GymWolf

A question for GS users, is the tackle the fastest way to cancel the third hit of the big combo? like when i'm in charge for the third attack but i want to immediately cancel the animation, is there anything faster than tackle?

rubenburgt

Insect glaive.
I always try different weapons in every new MH game, but I always falls back to insect glaive.

The buffs, the mobility and the combos are just amazing and fun.

Vandole

I love my bow and arrow, and I don't apologize for that. Send me out with a couple large bomb barrels, some poison coating and a good bow, and I'm going to have a fun hunt. Definitely not the easiest weapon in the world to solo with, but fighting solo in monster hunter is it nearly as fun anyway.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Insect Glaive. Fun to fly around, do lots of chip damage, and dodge most attacks.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I use the long sword in pretty much all the older titles I played. Starting with World I mained the Hammer and did so in Rise as well.

It's simple, high damage, and good mobility all in one.

Lance but it feels clunky in Rise so I went with my second love, Hammer. Maybe I'll switch to HH when Rise releases on PC. Those invincibility frames with Performance feels really good.

Top Bottom