• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking away from Amazon. What other online retailers do you recommend?

Amazon does some not so nice things, and it's probably better that they don't have a monopoly. At least that's how I feel about the company. I'd get into the details about those not so nice things, but some of them get kind of political. Either way, you can consider yourself to be on the left, right, or independent and still find plenty of issues with how they run their business.

I've disliked many of the things Amazon has done for years, but I've always used them anyway because it's not like I can make a difference or anything. And that may be true, but I think if I really do feel that way, it seems hypocritical for me to continue using them without looking for alternatives. I don't plan to stop using them entirely for things I can't find anywhere else, but I'd like to drastically reduce my purchase habits when it comes to that site. I think if more people would at least reduce their use of Amazon, it could help a lot of other businesses.

That brings me to the question at hand. What online retailers other than Amazon have you had good experiences with? What do they sell? How is their customer service? How competitive is their pricing? How much do you have to purchase for free shipping? I don't care if they're big business like Best Buy or Macy's, specialty online only retailers like Monoprice, or even smaller more niche retail sites. If you've had good experiences with an online retailer, I'd like to hear about it.

Last edited:

ScythD

I don't know if it's any better from a political perspective, but Walmart's online interface is improving.

Quasicat

I just don't buy things online.
Shop at local stores. They can order anything you can get online.
There is a Kroger Marketplace about 15 minutes from here and I like them. I try to keep it as local as possible and rarely buy things online…except for my LEGO sets since the closest LEGO store is over an hour away.

Best buy is solid on games with free shipping. Wal mart and target are options also. Depends on what you want to order really.

I dont buy anything from Amazon anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I only use Amazon to buy things not readily available in stores. I might use Amazon once a year. Sometimes none.

I dont shop online much anyway, although if it's something big like a TV I did it online so it can be delivered.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Amazon is my 1st choice when trying to find something. If that doesn't work out then it's eBay. Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't know any other online retailer (UK) that is a big as those two for buying almost anything.

I'll often visit the likes of John Lewis, Argos, Currys, etc if I know exactly what I'm looking for or trying to find a good deal. Most of my stuff is from Amazon but I got my Switch from eBay, my PC parts from Scan, TV from John Lewis, PS4 from GAME, bike from Halfords.

reksveks

Is Google busting unions?

All big companies don't like unions, the best we can hope is that they don't get too aggressive with their union busting movements

OP do you still use google, they are more eviler than Amazon.
I struggle with the comparison.

Google monopolistic harms groups but not so much against their employees (more so against consumers and also advertisers*).

Amazon monopolistic tendencies harms some of their employees and other companies. I struggle with the fact that work conditions do suck but Amazon pay alot higher than their competitors.

*no one really gives a fuck but its the one area that regulators are able to go against

Also I wouldnt judge (hopefully you ain't) if the OP is trying to cut out one monopoly.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Walmart, Target, etc. I've been transitioning to buying shit in-person again whenever possible. I really only use Amazon if there are steep discounts or in cases of emergency.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
If you're in the US and they're in your area, Costco. No scandals that I am aware of, they treat their employees well, and they have a large selection for many items. Downside is it requires a membership (probably cheaper than Amazon Prime at this point).

I've had mostly positive experiences with Amazon. In fact when it comes to returning items they're very very good and a few times they just let me keep the product instead of the hassle of returning it and still issue a refund.

The only issue I have with them is the way they ship their video games. They don't even put games in a bubble envelope and just a cheap envelope. That's a great way of breaking a disc or even a cartridge but other than that it's been positive.

eBay is my other go-to and I use it a lot for ordering stuff especially video games because third party sellers seem to do a better job of shipping them. Plus you can get all the older games on there.

Last edited:

JayK47

I stopped buying physical goods from Amazon last September and everything else in November when my prime ran out. I have switched to Ebay mostly, trying to stick to saved favorite sellers, since some sellers literally just drop ship from Amazon. Target and Walmart could be alternatives, but they are not much better than Amazon really. I have found that most brick and mortar stores have shifted their inventory because of Amazon. So they tend to have items that are harder to buy like clothing or similar. Shop your local hardware or car parts stores for those items. A ton of items can be purchased directly from the manufacturer as well.

Susurrus

I used to use Best Buy online a lot for games, movies, etc. They are overall more expensive, but have some really good sales from time to time. But they killed the Best Buy Elite program that I was getting free shipping from, and they don't seem to ship to store for free (you can do pickup if they have it in stock, that's it), so I haven't really gone back to shopping there.

I do have Prime, and it renewed right before the price increase so I got lucky on timing there, but I will likely cancel it before it renews again.

I've used Walmart and Target a few times. My wife uses Uniqlo and Nordstrom Rack occasionally.

SegaShack

I used to use Best Buy online a lot for games, movies, etc. They are overall more expensive, but have some really good sales from time to time. But they killed the Best Buy Elite program that I was getting free shipping from, and they don't seem to ship to store for free (you can do pickup if they have it in stock, that's it), so I haven't really gone back to shopping there.

I do have Prime, and it renewed right before the price increase so I got lucky on timing there, but I will likely cancel it before it renews again.

I've used Walmart and Target a few times. My wife uses Uniqlo and Nordstrom Rack occasionally.
Bestbuy killing Elite has made me stop using them forever. No idea what's wrong with them.

Reallink

Bestbuy killing Elite has made me stop using them forever. No idea what's wrong with them.

Amazon has more than 200 million people paying them an average of $160/year ($140 billed annually or $180 billed monthly) for what has become (post Covid) free 3-5 day shipping on select items and a video service most of them have never even logged into. Worst Buy saw an opportunity to get that at that cheese by peddling their grifter warranties while taking advantage of console and GPU shortages. Nothing wrong with them, they're just capitalizing (pun intended) on the retarded population at large. I'm sure they've got 10's millions of people paying them $200/yr for fake 1 year warranties (Total Tech runs concurrently with MFG warranties, have to pay another $200 to get the real 1 year warranty) and free shipping on the 1000% markup phone charger and USB cable they ordered 9 months ago. Can't knock the hustle. People are flush with cash and dumb as fuck.

Last edited:

Nydius

One of the few things I do agree with my crazy leftist relatives on is their belief that there's "no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism". They're not really wrong. You don't like Amazon's practices, which I understand, but you're not going to find anyone who behaves better while offering a broad range of goods, especially in the online shopping space.

They're all pretty crap with regard to their practices and if you go all the way down the rabbit hole by considering the implications of each and every item you purchase, you'll go insane.

Amazon for buyer's protection. Best Buy will try to fight returns for any online purchases until they exhaust all the options to prevent the customers from doing so.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can find a good deal on eBay.

Maybe try googling the product you want and buy directly from a company's website? I've been doing this for shampoo.

One of the few things I do agree with my crazy leftist relatives on is their belief that there's "no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism". They're not really wrong. You don't like Amazon's practices, which I understand, but you're not going to find anyone who behaves better while offering a broad range of goods, especially in the online shopping space.

They're all pretty crap with regard to their practices and if you go all the way down the rabbit hole by considering the implications of each and every item you purchase, you'll go insane.
Which is why when I see people (especially left leaning ppl) boycotting any companies for whatever reason I cannot fathom their noble stupidity. What about all those things you don't boycott? Your food, your phone, your car, your clothing? Unless you live off the land entirely isolated from society out the middle of nowhere, you can't escape using product that probably has exploited someone somewhere in order for it be as conveniently accessible and relatively affordable as it is in your hands, countless times throughout every day of your life.

Nydius

Which is why when I see people (especially left leaning ppl) boycotting any companies for whatever reason I cannot fathom their noble stupidity. What about all those things you don't boycott? Your food, your phone, your car, your clothing?
Several years back after one of the reports about Nike contractors and child labor, one of my half-sisters sent out a group e-mail to all of us with a link to the story and big paragraph rant about how she'd never buy Nike products again. But she forgot that she had her "Sent from my iPhone" signature line on by default.

I couldn't resist.
I replied: "Just wait until you learn about the suicide nets on the roof of Foxconn where your iPhone is made."

She didn't speak to me for a month. :ROFLMAO:

Several years back after one of the reports about Nike contractors and child labor, one of my half-sisters sent out a group e-mail to all of us with a link to the story and big paragraph rant about how she'd never buy Nike products again. But she forgot that she had her "Sent from my iPhone" signature line on by default.

I couldn't resist.
I replied: "Just wait until you learn about the suicide nets on the roof of Foxconn where your iPhone is made."

She didn't speak to me for a month. :ROFLMAO:
We're kind of all screwed when it comes to cell phones. Either google or apple, and both of them have issues. Not buying Nike is way easier, and if a smaller sporting goods company gets the sales, at least you're supporting competition.

There's a difference between judging other people for the products they use, and you yourself choosing to give your money to someone other than the largest companies in existence, at least when you can. If your sister didn't speak to you for a month after that, she should get better at defending her values and not being critical of others when they disagree with her.

SegaShack

Amazon has more than 200 million people paying them an average of $160/year ($140 billed annually or $180 billed monthly) for what has become (post Covid) free 3-5 day shipping on select items and a video service most of them have never even logged into. Worst Buy saw an opportunity to get that at that cheese by peddling their grifter warranties while taking advantage of console and GPU shortages. Nothing wrong with them, they're just capitalizing (pun intended) on the retarded population at large. I'm sure they've got 10's millions of people paying them $200/yr for fake 1 year warranties (Total Tech runs concurrently with MFG warranties, have to pay another $200 to get the real 1 year warranty) and free shipping on the 1000% markup phone charger and USB cable they ordered 9 months ago. Can't knock the hustle. People are flush with cash and dumb as fuck.
What you are saying is probably what their CEO believes, but in real life I don't know anyone giving Bestbuy 200 a year. They don't even offer 1/10000th of the products Amazon has. Bestbuy is out of their minds to think this will work besides for a few desperate CPU/GPU fans.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The only thing keeping me using Amazon is the easy returns. Like my wife will buy 10 different sizes of clothes and return 9 of them. But there is just so much fake knockoff garbage on there that I have cut back my purchasing a HUGE amount. I was looking to buy a new water filter for my fridge. They don't have the actual named brand filters, just endless Chinese knockoffs with fake reviews. Too much of that site is fake dubious products. Target and Walmart ecommerce is getting to be the same thing. Only the stuff actually sold in stores is worth the risk of buying.

Top Bottom