• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking With Dinosaur GAF and other prehistoric creatures |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny thing is, Ceratopsians had very strong jaws. There are speculations such as them eating bones for calcium needed to regrow horns to eating meat when it's available. Flesh eating Triceratops.

glK0pQ0.jpg

Oh adn this tribute to Charles R Knight with Yutyrannus.

Paleogaf, I really think this video needs to be added to the OP!!

"Which Dinosaurs Had Feathers?"

(As far as I can tell) It's a very well researched video that was an extensive collaboration between the youtuber who runs the channel and paleontologist/biologist/paleoartist such as Jon Conway and many others.

Thanks for the video. It is very informative, but man, I find that guy annoying. He's not much of a speaker; he pauses frequently, stumbles on pronunciations and uses poor grammar.

And despite going on about how objective he is for several minutes, he's actually very pro-feathers and quite sneery and superior about it. The "rubbing it in" attitude about dinosaurs having feathers is the least useful way to help correct the popular view of dinosaurs. It also makes it less likely that people will accept objective data on the topic.

Makes you wonder why there's artwork of a flesh eating Styracosaurus in the first place, lol

It's actually the same reason I brought up the flesh eating ceratopsian. Research into the teeth and jaws shows they're pretty strong for herbivores. It really makes you look at ceratopsians in a different light, right?

It's just random speculation at this point. A lot of herbivores have been observed in eating meat.

True story: my friend's adult green iguana - which are considered exclusively herbivores, as adults - ate a small fence lizard that I'd just caught when I put them together. Now, who knows what it was thinking. "I'm being fed", maybe. Or maybe it was just curious. After all, it may never have seen a lizard that size before. I'm not suggesting that iguanas routinely eat animals, but that one ate a lizard with no hesitation.

Anyway, that incident has always made me wish that the Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park would've eaten Lex instead of sneezing on her. "Veggiesaurus"...unless it gets curious?

Manu

It's actually the same reason I brought up the flesh eating ceratopsian. Research into the teeth and jaws shows they're pretty strong for herbivores. It really makes you look at ceratopsians in a different light, right?

It certainly would be an interesting twist on the current "peaceful herbivore" image of ceratopsians.

Very interesting, really.

How have I missed this topic for so long? Hrm.

Anyway, I thought it'd be pertinent to share this project I did... three years ago now (shit), where I did one hundred simple drawings of different dinosaur species in a year. I used it kind of as a learning experience to teach myself how to draw dinosaurs properly. I later drew ten birds at the end as well, and redid a few of the uglier earlier ones. A couple of the depictions are now out of date, and some of my earlier drawings are much rougher and have worse anatomy than my later ones, though.

I haven't earnestly drawn many dinosaurs since then though. Maybe I should start up again.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Anyway, I thought it'd be pertinent to share this project I did... three years ago now (shit), where I did one hundred simple drawings of different dinosaur species in a year. I used it kind of as a learning experience to teach myself how to draw dinosaurs properly. I later drew ten birds at the end as well, and redid a few of the uglier earlier ones. A couple of the depictions are now out of date, and some of my earlier drawings are much rougher and have worse anatomy than my later ones, though.

I haven't earnestly drawn many dinosaurs since then though. Maybe I should start up again.

They look great! Interesting with some interpretations, like Spinosaurus with a bigger back rather than an actual sail.

Not a fan of the droopy tails on the theropods, but otherwise it's excellent! I especially love the colors!

Did you color them with photoshop? I really need to learn to use digital art tools.

I had a feeling that DA account was yours. :)

It's been like a decade since I've drawn dinosaurs with any regularity. Not artistically, mind you; I mostly did skeletal reconstructions back in the day, but my productivity just fizzled out over the years. I had a hard drive full of skeletals and references that's now in storage, and I regret not keeping up with the work. Perhaps one of these days I'll remedy that, but in the meantime I've been content to live vicariously through Scott Hartman.

Thanks for the comments, and yeah, the color was just photoshop. The colorations were the things that I spent a lot of time fretting over. Believe it or not, it's kind of hard to come up with one hundred unique colorations. Regarding the tails I definitely remember having a hard time fitting a lot of them on pages, as I originally drew them all in a small drawing pad, so there's a lot of drooping tails and tails too short for their bodies.

So new paper confirms we're entering the 6th great extinction. Basically confirms what was in the OP. I wonder what kind of animals will take over once we go extinct?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
So new paper confirms we're entering the 6th great extinction. Basically confirms what was in the OP. I wonder what kind of animals will take over once we go extinct?

Roaches and kitty-cats. Yup. Roaches can survive anything, and cats are SUPER adaptable. As an animal that manipulating humans into domesticating it (because of its cuteness) to kill rats, it's still very instinctual with hunting, hiding, and just surviving. The freakish stories of zombie cat and mattress cat show just how durable an animal they are. Not to mention they live pretty much everywhere on earth (or can if they can get to those remote islands) and breed all throughout the year. They may not be a dominant species necessarily, but one that I'm sure will be around for a long long time. (We're probably going to screw things up for ourselves anyways, cause $$)

Thanks for the video. It is very informative, but man, I find that guy annoying. He's not much of a speaker; he pauses frequently, stumbles on pronunciations and uses poor grammar.

And despite going on about how objective he is for several minutes, he's actually very pro-feathers and quite sneery and superior about it. The "rubbing it in" attitude about dinosaurs having feathers is the least useful way to help correct the popular view of dinosaurs. It also makes it less likely that people will accept objective data on the topic.

Yeah, I agree.
The host is a middling speaker at best, and it's quite clear that he has a bias towards feathers (which I wouldn't care about if he hadn't made a huge point about not being biased in his comment section).
However, the information is really good and it comes from credible sources

Plus it actually gave me a much, much clearer picture of the non-coelurosaurian theropod groups and how feathers relate to them in the grand scheme of things.

The OP is already overloaded with info. Not sure if I can fit more.

Think of the feathers Cow, do it...do it for them!
:,<

I know it's old work and I know how artists can feel about looking at our old work (BLECK!!) but great job, Green Mamba!
I like the accuracy, diversity, and speculation on display.

Africanus

Cool!

edit: Recent fact I Found out....Dimetrodon was not a dinosaur!

Dimetrodon is often mistaken for a dinosaur or as a contemporary of dinosaurs in popular culture, but it went extinct around 40 million years before the appearance of the first dinosaur in the Triassic period. Generally reptile-like in appearance and physiology, Dimetrodon is nevertheless more closely related to mammals than it is to any living reptilian group, though it is not a direct ancestor of any mammals

This creature was the focus of an entire ACT Science part on the last one I took.

Also, very interesting thread! Finding out birds were dinosaurs a few years ago retroactively made my pet chicken experience even better.
Contrary to popular belief, the chicken was quite smart. It operated this electronic game I had , learned how to fly skillfully (although short distance and as skillful as a chicken can be), could fetch and retrieve, amongst other tasks.

Oh yeah, I just remembered, Balaur bondoc is no longer a dromaeosaur, but an avian now. At least that's according to the newest cladistic study.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...etrapod-zoology/feed+(Blog:+Tetrapod+Zoology)

I'm not 100% convinced.

Any particular reason why?

Some were questioning the dromaeosaurid interpretation even early on, and as the authors of this study point out, Balaur as a dromaeosaur is a highly aberrant form, (which is not necessarily unprecedented), but its morphology doesn't seem so bizarre for a paravian. Looking through the paper, I think their case is amply justified.

Link to the (open-access!) paper for those interested: https://peerj.com/articles/1032/, and Emily Willoughby's wonderful life restorations:

Amalthea

Banned
If we weren't still stuck with this 18th century bullshit then Aves might not even be a class anymore.

I'd rather be stuck with powdered wigs instead.

squall23

My favourite piece of fiction about dinosaurs:

In Nekketsu Saikyo Gosaurer, dinosaurs were the original guardians of the Earth in that they were able to overcome their instinct of eating each other and defend Earth from an invasion from an intergalactic AI machine empire.

Yes, it makes no sense how dinosaurs were able to defeat an empire of giant robots, but they did it.

I read the other (drunk) dinosaur thread.
Can someone post some information regarding the Pterosaur?
They look too ridiculous to me, how did they include they actually look like that?

They look too ridiculous to me, how did they include they actually look like that?

Same here. I'd love to see more of them. The recent development of them being good walkers, or at least the Pterodactyloidea, and being good flyers is very interesting to me. They are essentially winged convertibles lol.

True story: my friend's adult green iguana - which are considered exclusively herbivores, as adults - ate a small fence lizard that I'd just caught when I put them together. Now, who knows what it was thinking. "I'm being fed", maybe. Or maybe it was just curious. After all, it may never have seen a lizard that size before. I'm not suggesting that iguanas routinely eat animals, but that one ate a lizard with no hesitation.

Anyway, that incident has always made me wish that the Brachiosaurus in Jurassic Park would've eaten Lex instead of sneezing on her. "Veggiesaurus"...unless it gets curious?

Actually it's almost guaranteed that some herbivorous dinosaurs, and the ceratopsians are good candidates, ate some flesh. Modern day herbivores, with cows and deer being particularly well documented, supplement their diets with meat on occasion. Heck, you can pretty easily find Youtube videos of deer and cows eating grounded birds.

Toxi

Banned
What part exactly do you think looks ridiculous?

The quadrupedal stance has been known about for quite some time. Pterosaurs had powerful front limbs and walking feet, making it the easiest way for them to move around. They lacked grasping feet, so they couldn't perch like many modern day birds.

If you mean Hatzegopteryx's long neck and enormous head, that's just because those traits are known from its relative Quetzalcoatlus. The neck was made of few bones, making it rather stiff.

Same here. I'd love to see more of them. The recent development of them being good walkers, or at least the Pterodactyloidea, and being good flyers is very interesting to me. They are essentially winged convertibles lol.

There are older theories that pterosaurs never landed or something like that. It's ridiculous to think that these creatures wouldn't be able to handle themselves on the ground.

The size of the biggest ones is mindblowing.

File this under "dino-related": if you haven't checked out the Bish-produced SAVAGE EMPIRE Kickstarter campaign, please do--10 days away from the end and a few grand away from their goal:

SAVAGE EMPIRE is "Jurassic Park" meets "Black Hawk Down" in graphic novel format. The story is one of a massive earthquake in the Los Angeles area, triggered by government experiments with time travel. As portals open to ancient worlds, the original apex predators enter our time, and the leader of a rescue squad must balance her responsibilities inside the danger zone against the presence of a mysterious mercenary assigned to her team.

Chuckie

Just found out today that in Leiden, The Netherlands they have a T-Rex in the Naturalis museum (amongst other fossils and some die casts). It's 200 kilometers from where I love, so fairly easy to go to.

A warning my dinosaur loving friend... the T-Rex in Naturalis isn't there yet. It will be on display from September 2016.

Can't wait for it though. Really close to my home too!

Nikodemos

Ah, Darren Naish. Thought I'd recognised the name. He has co-authored All Yesterdays along with Conway and Kosemen, and blogs for Tetrapod Zoology.

And Emily Willoughby's artwork is excellent. The sexual dimorphism is a particularly nice touch.

More people are looking at the power of a Triceratops bite. Being bitten by a Triceratops might be just as bad as being bitten by a T.rex.

9wHThdl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom