• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking With Dinosaur GAF and other prehistoric creatures |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, jeeze. Okay, it's actually from a recreation that takes some liberties with the actual remains to provide a more complete image: http://www.bhigr.com/media/zoomslides/FightingDinos_0002-2/

Not done yet. Need to add some more details, like the raptor's other leg, separation of some of the bones (shoulder/arm). He had to compromise on some of the structure, else it will just bleed together into a blob when I'm older. He also made the tail curve, because we were running out of space and he thought it would turn out better like this.

RpXqmpD.jpg

Perspective is a little skewed here, making the raptor look really small...but not much smaller than it actually was!

Ecotic

Scientists announce they might have found a missing link in turtle evolution, Pappochelys.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2015/06/25/a-transitional-turtle-pappochelys/

And now we have even older ancestor, from 240 million years ago, called Pappochelys. It lacks the plastron, too, instead having an array of ventral ‘ribs’, called gastralia. What caught the attention of the researchers was the true ribs. They also are flattened and broadened — they look like curvy cricket bats.

It looks distinctly lizardy in the reconstructions, but when you look at the bones you get the impression of a bony box, a kind of underlying lorica segmentata.

Yo, Dinosaur GAF, a fellow Gaffer needs your help!

I'm sure we're all familiar with our mod Bishoptl. He's doing a kickstarter for a comic book called Savage Empire. We're nearing the end of the kickstarter, but it still needs a little more to succeed! Now Savage Empire is just a comic book, but if this is successful, a game is coming!!! For those that don't know, bishoptl worked on Turok for the 360/PS3. He's been toying with another dinosaur game idea for a while now. We need to get this kickstarter up for the rest to fall in place!

imaged8xgl.jpg

imagexzzzm.jpg

imageo7apa.jpg

imagevtxcb.jpg

Check this thread for more details!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055849

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sad :( Apparently San Jose has a dinosaur exhibit going this weekend on that I just found out about yesterday, but I'm already busy the entire weekend.

Mdk7

Yo, Dinosaur GAF, a fellow Gaffer needs your help!

I'm sure we're all familiar with our mod Bishoptl. He's doing a kickstarter for a comic book called Savage Empire. We're nearing the end of the kickstarter, but it still needs a little more to succeed! Now Savage Empire is just a comic book, but if this is successful, a game is coming!!! For those that don't know, bishoptl worked on Turok for the 360/PS3. He's been toying with another dinosaur game idea for a while now. We need to get this kickstarter up for the rest to fall in place!

imaged8xgl.jpg

imagexzzzm.jpg

imageo7apa.jpg

imagevtxcb.jpg

Check this thread for more details!!!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055849
Turok 2 :(

Toxi

Banned
Update, Savage Empire kickstarter is a success!!!

Oh and largest dinosaur is now an unnamed Titanosaur. It was announced last year. It's exceptionally well preserved with multiple individuals! 66-feet tall and 132-feet long! Argentinosaurus MIGHT be bigger, but it's too incomplete to say for certain. This unnamed giant is well preserved so very little guess work is needed.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/features/2015/06/29/titanosaur-argentina-huge-dinosaur/29454515/

erJcXKO.jpg
Holy God, that's a big dinosaur. Glad to hear this one's so well-preserved.

Manu

Update, Savage Empire kickstarter is a success!!!

Oh and largest dinosaur is now an unnamed Titanosaur. It was announced last year. It's exceptionally well preserved with multiple individuals! 66-feet tall and 132-feet long! Argentinosaurus MIGHT be bigger, but it's too incomplete to say for certain. This unnamed giant is well preserved so very little guess work is needed.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/features/2015/06/29/titanosaur-argentina-huge-dinosaur/29454515/

erJcXKO.jpg

That's awesome.

I wonder why dinosaurs in this region got so big. Argentinosaurus, Giganotosaurus and now this.

That's awesome.

I wonder why dinosaurs in this region got so big. Argentinosaurus, Giganotosaurus and now this.

Seriously.

I'm sure there are numerous papers on this, but is there any good, definitive research on this type of "giganticism"? Is there anything else to it, other than "big dinosaurs are hard to kill"?

Seriously.

I'm sure there are numerous papers on this, but is there any good, definitive research on this type of "giganticism"? Is there anything else to it, other than "big dinosaurs are hard to kill"?

Don't know, but there's more to dinosaur biology that'll take time to figure out. There's a Sauropodamorph that's 70+ feet as far back as the Triassic. These guys got insanely big early in their evolution. I wonder if that meant there might be a 36 feet Triassic theropod that we don't know about.

Oh, here's what someone from facebook is saying about this.

That's because the photo of Pablo Puerta laying next to the femur is what got more popularized. I had the chance to spend some days with José Carballido, the leader Palaeontologist of the expedition, for a Symposium last year. It's an incredible finding. They found several individuals, in different grow stages (from really young specimens to fully grown ones), a bird that lived with them, theropod teeth, and fosilized surrounding plants... THEY FOUND THE COMPLETE FUCKING PALEOECOSYSTEM, and there is still a lot of things to dig up in the place. It's a fuckinhg gold mine

Manu

Don't know, but there's more to dinosaur biology that'll take time to figure out. There's a Sauropodamorph that's 70+ feet as far back as the Triassic. These guys got insanely big early in their evolution. I wonder if that meant there might be a 36 feet Triassic theropod that we don't know about.

I'm struggling to think of theropods from the Triassic. Maybe Herrerasaurus.

EDIT: Holy shit @ that edit. That's seriously amazing.

"Surrounding plants"? Not just scraps of leaves and bark? Neat if so!

Amalthea

Banned
Has anyone ever tought about collecting pictures of feathered dinosaur art pre-1995?

I have this idea from time to time because I still remember dinosaur depctions from back then that were feathered (excluding Archeopterix). Gotta see if I still have issues of Dinosaurs! that contained some of them.

My first reaction was that it looked a lot like Kosmoceratops, but they're not as similar as I first thought.

That's what I thought too.

Has anyone ever tought about collecting pictures of feathered dinosaur art pre-1995?

I have this idea from time to time because I still remember dinosaur depctions from back then that were feathered (excluding Archeopterix). Gotta see if I still have issues of Dinosaurs! that contained some of them.

I think only Greg Paul did dinosaur art with feathers before the 90s.

Also there's this.

INqpU0f.jpg

Most everyone depicted Syntarsus with feathers back when due to it being the first dinosaur ever depicted with feathers, but I can't find the original art. I do have this gross one from one of my eighties era books though:
xTQ9N9C.jpg

Avimimus is another one that you'd be hard pressed to find depicted without feathers in any era. Here's Sibbick's from the eighties.
CBbYf9P.jpg

It's, uh, not terribly accurate otherwise.

Concerning "Syntarsus" or Megapnosaurus or whatever, it's always bugged me that it gets lumped now into Coelophysis in this era of splitting everything from everything.

Guys, when are pterosaur depictions in the mainstream media going to stop looking like they came from the 1950s/Fantasia??

Pterosaurs really need their equivalent of JP1 so we can finally move away from dull colored naked scaly bird necked bat-like lizard things that snatch things out of the sky and perch on branches. It'll probably never happen...but I can dream.
:<

Guys, when are pterosaur depictions in the mainstream media going to stop looking like they came from the 1950s/Fantasia??

Pterosaurs really need their equivalent of JP1 so we can finally move away from dull colored naked scaly bird necked bat-like lizard things that snatch things out of the sky and perch on branches. It'll probably never happen...but I can dream.
You mean start looking like the came from Fantasia, right? The Right of Spring at least understood that pterosaurs pick things up with their mouths, not with their feet.

tcrunch

Hollywood will start depicting pterosaurs correctly around the same time it does something so bold as to show a raptor with more than a few token feather stubs on its head and tail.

You mean start looking like the came from Fantasia, right? The Right of Spring at least understood that pterosaurs pick things up with their mouths, not with their feet.

You're right!
I mean, despite stuff like upside down roosting, dropping take-offs, and noodle bird necks the portrayal in the Rite of Spring segment is somewhat decent considering the research they had to work with.
However, that makes it even more depressing considering that fantasia was released in the 1940s and we have access to google and stuff like pterosaur.net...

Pretty much, JP3 and JW's monster-bat pteranodons are beyond travesty.

It was honestly as ridiculous as seeing twisted monstrous versions of fish eating seabirds and chickens attacking people on screen.
They just didn't care lol

Hollywood will start depicting pterosaurs correctly around the same time it does something so bold as to show a raptor with more than a few token feather stubs on its head and tail.

T.T

Giard

I was wondering, anyone know any great dinosaur museums? My girlfriend would like to visit some one day and I'm not sure what the best ones would be.

Jaeger

I'm falling in love with the Andrewsarchus and the Entelodonts, and other prehistoric mammals. All those whales and stuff. So cool.

Yesterday I had the idea of a eagle-colored T-Rex and drew this little color sketch:

Nice! That's actually an interesting concept. Have there been any paleo-art projects that directly reference some of the diversity in modern nature and apply it to prehistoric animals? Other than something like All Yesterdays, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom