• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walking With Dinosaur GAF and other prehistoric creatures |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbel

150922104639_1_540x360.jpg

Endures months of winter but has no feathers?

Veelk

Banned
The Dinosaur Lords by Victor Milán

51Z0ZYqfZHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's basically 14th century Europe with Dinosaurs in a Game of Thrones kind of atmosphere. And yes, it includes magic. I've only read the first few chapters of it, and I'll do a full write up of it later, but so far the prose has been actually very fluid and easy to read. If this guy was GRRM's protege, I wouldn't be surprised.

Amalthea

Banned
I start to believe there wasn't really a dinosaur fad in the 90's but that the fad was to actually care about dinosaurs and not some schlock popculture caricatures like in every other decade befor and after.

Mdk7

It's basically 14th century Europe with Dinosaurs in a Game of Thrones kind of atmosphere. And yes, it includes magic. I've only read the first few chapters of it, and I'll do a full write up of it later, but so far the prose has been actually very fluid and easy to read. If this guy was GRRM's protege, I wouldn't be surprised.

Can't wait for the write up!

Jaeger

Thanks to fiction and a general lack of knowledge with the average person, there is lot of misinformation on this now instinct species of Canis. So, as one of the resident animal lovers here at GAF I once again feel the urge to help educate people of this. Plus, learning about animals both alive and extinct is just plain fun most of the time!

tBZy12i.jpg

- Dire wolves (Canis dirus) probably looked just like Gray wolves in most cases. Alot of artist renditions usually draw the dire wolf drastically different than what they (and in some cases any other Canis species) actually looked like. But, for the most smart their appearance outside of being slightly larger and more muscular was the same as that of the Gray wolf (Canis lupus lupus). They do not have pointed ears, or one of the numerous other interesting takes on wolves (both extinct and living).

- Dire wolves were not much larger than the average Gray wolf. They were actually on average shorter than the Northwestern wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis). Not to say they were small, because modern wolves like the Gray wolf are quite large. Just not the Game of Thrones' sized beast were see on one of TV's most popular series.

- Dire wolf pups and young adults did not look just like your modern dog. This is something else that we can thank GoT for. In the first season all of the Stark children's Dire wolves are portrayed by a Nordic spitz-type dog called the Northern Inuit Dog. Just like modern Gray wolves, Dire wolves' pups were most all born gray, brown and black. With small round ears. By Seasons 2 it appears they did use real wolves (or perhaps wolfdogs) that were digitally manipulated to appear larger than normal.

- Dire wolves may not have been as smart as the modern Gray wolf (which is a highly intelligent animal). Their brain cases were not as large as the Gray wolves' are. This may have been one of the components that led to their demise, with their Gray wolf being the smarter and faster species and thus survived and out hunted their larger relatives.

Thanks to fiction and a general lack of knowledge with the average person, there is lot of misinformation on this now instinct species of Canis. So, as one of the resident animal lovers here at GAF I once again feel the urge to help educate people of this. Plus, learning about animals both alive and extinct is just plain fun most of the time!

tBZy12i.jpg

- Dire wolves (Canis dirus) probably looked just like Gray wolves in most cases. Alot of artist renditions usually draw the dire wolf drastically different than what they (and in some cases any other Canis species) actually looked like. But, for the most smart their appearance outside of being slightly larger and more muscular was the same as that of the Gray wolf (Canis lupus lupus). They do not have pointed ears, or one of the numerous other interesting takes on wolves (both extinct and living).

- Dire wolves were not much larger than the average Gray wolf. They were actually on average shorter than the Northwestern wolf (Canis lupus occidentalis). Not to say they were small, because modern wolves like the Gray wolf are quite large. Just not the Game of Thrones' sized beast were see on one of TV's most popular series.

- Dire wolf pups and young adults did not look just like your modern dog. This is something else that we can thank GoT for. In the first season all of the Stark children's Dire wolves are portrayed by a Nordic spitz-type dog called the Northern Inuit Dog. Just like modern Gray wolves, Dire wolves' pups were most all born gray, brown and black. With small round ears. By Seasons 2 it appears they did use real wolves (or perhaps wolfdogs) that were digitally manipulated to appear larger than normal.

- Dire wolves may not have been as smart as the modern Gray wolf (which is a highly intelligent animal). Their brain cases were not as large as the Gray wolves' are. This may have been one of the components that led to their demise, with their Gray wolf being the smarter and faster species and thus survived and out hunted their larger relatives.

Oh shit. This is going to be the GoT fanbase's "feathers". What have you done?

Jaeger

Lol! You guys. :p

That's true about it being fictional in their world. They even purposely write the name out "Direwolves" versus Dire wolves, but it just gives the wrong impression to the public. And over the past few years people have been buying Spitz type dogs in droves not being prepared at all to take care of them, and most end up abandoned or put down. It's ridiculous.

With that said, I would love to see a big budget documentary on this guys with CG proper. And that not budget stuff we usually get. Could you imagine a Doc with the CG quality of Jurassic Park?

wlqc2a.gif

Amazingly preserved juvenile Chasmosaurus found.

chasmosaurus.png

chasmoart.jpg

This juvenile Chasmosaurus is an adorable 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) in length, and would have weighed less than 100 kilograms (220 pounds). It’s so young that its vertebrae had not properly fused, its limbs were not fully articulated (joined up), and it had a particularly short snout. Due to its ornamental opening being fully enclosed by a single bone, scientists have deduced it is likely a species called Chasmosaurus belli.

This is a beautiful specimen.

I saw The Titanosaur at the AMNH today. It was amazing! It's now the world's biggest dinosaur mount out there! I'll post some pictures when I get home.

qVgDjjD.jpg

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is a beautiful specimen.

I saw The Titanosaur at the AMNH today. It was amazing! It's now the world's biggest dinosaur mount out there! I'll post some pictures when I get home.

qVgDjjD.jpg

That photos has a great dynamic pose of it, and really shows off the scope of its size. I saw the video earlier of them constructing it. It really is crazy to see big dinosaur skeletons in person, though. The sheer size of them...

The pictures are dark because it's taken in the theater section of the museum. This is now the world's biggest dinosaur on display. It's even bigger than the Argentinosaurus mount. Still, there are paleontologists that believe Argentinosaurus is bigger. Problem is, it's so incomplete it's hard to say how big it was. This new unnamed Titanosaur has over 80 bones and a couple of specimens for us to get a more accurate calculation on the size.

The Tully Monster had a spine!

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/307-million-year-old-monster-fossil-identified-at-last/

To their surprise, they discovered that the animal appeared to have a backbone. Previously, scientists had toyed with the idea that it might be an invertebrate related to today's snails. The hints of a skeleton, combined with the structure of the animal's gut and mouth, revealed parallels with today's hagfish and lampreys. Like hagfish and lampreys, Tullimonstrum has a jawless mouth lined with teeth.

Welp, I'm buying that asap.

I've been off and on this for the past two years now. It's a bit generic but I really should finish it already. I've got too many books lined up.
tcanyonrko5p.jpg

Amalthea

Banned
Never backed a crowdfunding project before, not even Bloodstained, despite Castlevania being my favorite 3rd party gaming franchise.

Got the 3 pack, I'm so weak...

And I think a seperate thread for this might be ok. There have been already enough threads of other Kickstarter projects.

Parch

How did I miss this thread? That's a great OP.

Our knowledge of life on earth evolves as much as life itself. Keeping an open mind is critical as we learn more and fine tune what we've already know or assume. It's a fascinating combo of science and history.

BTW, I just finished reading David Hone's new book The Tyrannosaur Chronicles. It's absolutely fantastic. It covers the whole clade of tyrannosauroidea dishing out a lot of tyrannosaur anatomy and dishing out facts. There's also some very grounded speculation of tyrannosaur behavior too. My favorite part was Hone trolling (probably NOT intentional) by dropping hints that Zhuchengtyrannus magnus may be as big or bigger than Tyrannosaurus rex. Of course that will require more fossils, but it would be funny to see T.rex knocked off the throne by another tyrannosaurine.

Edit - Oh the pictures I posted of The World's Biggest Dinosaur may not be fully grown. Some speculate it's only 75-80% grown. It's already 122 feet as it is.

It really is a fantastic book. The art is a little lacking. Not because it's bad, but because there's not much art in it. What art that's used in the book is from Scott Hartman.

Amalthea

Banned
I also bought this yesterday, transl.: The History of Life on Earth

It's from 1925. The skeleton is pretty well reconstructed yet the painting is completely ridiculous. You can blame the lack of understanding for a lot pf things but even back then they (the painters) could've done better if they got it served on a silver-plater (the mounted skeleton).

Amalthea

Banned
It's an interesting piece of history at least. You should submit it to Love In The Time of Chasmosaurus.
Absolutely. I actually got it because of being so old and outdated. Understanding the errors made in the past can help avoiding new ones in the future.

Double ceratopsian today!

New Chasmosaurine Ceratopsid Spiclypeus shipporum. This is from Judith River with a spike shield on the back of the head.

FWyfmfk.png

TRkA5Bd.jpg

New Centrosaurine Ceratopsid, Machairoceratops cronusi. This is from Utah with weird forward pointing horns on the top of the frill.

aFCUOgK.jpg

QDNvic7.jpg

Chuckie

The more I look at these the more it reminds me of Hippo skull syndrome.
Edit: crude sketch of what I mean:

Also, what happened to the theory that many ceratopsians were in fact the same species just at different stages of life?

Weren't there really cool artistic impressions of modern day animal skulls with tight skin, making them look like monsters.

Edit: crude sketch of what I mean:

Also, what happened to the theory that many ceratopsians were in fact the same species just at different stages of life?

LOL.

Heads are the least fleshy place on a lot of animals. Of course some artists do still tend to over exaggerate it in their art.

That theory still holds true for some species. Not all of them, but some species are likely to be juveniles. No consensus on Triceratops/Torosaurus though. At least not yet. I heard some rumbling on this issue, but we'll have to wait.

Chuckie

LOL.

Heads are the least fleshy place on a lot of animals. Of course some artists do still tend to over exaggerate it in their art.

That theory still holds true for some species. Not all of them, but some species are likely to be juveniles. No consensus on Triceratops/Torosaurus though. At least not yet. I heard some rumbling on this issue, but we'll have to wait.

Haha. That obese Triceratops is a bit over the top. But I think he was referring to the shrink-wrapped animals phenomenon

vOFx7Ky.jpg

(Hippo)

Oh yeah, definitely. We were all guilty of this in the 90s. A lot of it was inspired by Greg Paul. I shrink wrapped my dinosaurs a lot. Then I found out Paul was a jerk, and stopped admiring his art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom