• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street was Betting That Microsoft-Activision Deal Will Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's an idiot, makes stuff up to increase his engagement, and pretends to be ITK.

Which is bad for the insider industry as a whole, he isn't doing his peers any favors at all. Not saying it's a glorious profession, but dang it. I like news, leaks, and rumors. It keeps me going, real news is far too depressing.

Ozriel

M$FT
I think it's safe to say that this deal is still going to be a lot to talk about.

What a nightmare Microsoft has gotten themselves into. If this deal doesn't go through they're going to lose billions of dollars for sure.

Nightmare?
they definitely factored in regulatory oversight when they put down that bid.

Hope it fails, there’s still hope for a better future.

Marked departure from your reaction to the Bungie purchase.

Varteras

Gold Member
What I got from the article was not shareholders voting it down. It was the FTC being hard on the deal and forcing it to fail one way or the other. That's what Wall Street is betting. That the FTC either files a lawsuit and gets it successfully struck down in court or has it tied up for so long that one or both parties walk away. I mean, even the shareholder vote doesn't mean the deal is done. It just means Activision is completely onboard with the future transaction. The ball is now completely in the FTC's court.

Please tell me about online gaming on the console space before xbox.
Willy Wonka Smile GIF
Are you kidding me? You really think Xbox introduced online on consoles? Sega alone did it multiple times before. Explain to me how Phantasy Star Online launched before the Xbox was on the market please.

The Xbox just happen to come out when broadband was more popular, hardly a big innovation. Do you give a lot of credit for the PS3 for including Wifi and HDMI as well?

To have that as the great contribution MS had to console gaming in their 20 years is just sad and says it all.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"With Activision shares trading 25% below Microsoft's offer, Wall Street certainly believes the deal will fail"

honklhonk.jpg

Don't worry wall street, it could happen for the best of us. Even a lot of Gaffers believed the same.

Neofire

They may not have been able to read NeoGAF comments on it yet. They're waiting on their accounts to be verified so they can use the special dollar sign reactions EviLore added for them so we can monitor the progress of their investigation.
Oh the investigation will progress smoothly as long as you all keep the threads coming lol.

MScarpa

Besides, this is about the future, after this generation, Xbox and Playstation are just gonna be an app on your TV where you can stream games, at that point.
This right here!!! The future, whether people like it or not is this. Content is king.

This right here!!! The future, whether people like it or not is this. Content is king.
Besides, this is about the future, after this generation, Xbox and Playstation are just gonna be an app on your TV where you can stream games, at that point, whoever got the best exclusives will win.
People said that 10 years ago as well. Yet here we are, PSNow/Stadia/xCloud/GeForce Now are all out there and very few people care. For all intents and purposes these services already work. What is stopping them from being successful now?

Bragr

Banned
People said that 10 years ago as well. Yet here we are, PSNow/Stadia/xCloud/GeForce Now are all out there and very few people care. For all intents and purposes these services already work. What is stopping them from being successful now?
Technology, we are waiting for the point where the streaming experience matches the local experience. Once that hits, streaming will take over. That's what the industry is gearing up for.

That's why Sony needs to get their act together because XCloud is miles ahead of them right now and usable on multiple devices. They simply can't be behind in this regard, because players will flock to the service that nails this first.

Technology, we are waiting for the point where the streaming experience matches the local experience. Once that hits, streaming will take over. That's what the industry is gearing up for.

That's why Sony needs to get their act together because XCloud is miles ahead of them right now and usable on multiple devices. They simply can't be behind in this regard, because players will flock to the service that nails this first.
Keep waiting then, it ain't going to match it anytime soon. Get used to compressed video.

Anyway, it's already pretty good regardless, that's just an excuse to explain why people are jumping into it.

Even VR is more successful than cloud gaming already and VR will improve much faster. People just don't want to play over the cloud, those that say they do don't put their money where their mouth is.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Keep waiting then, it ain't going to match it anytime soon. Get used to compressed video.

Anyway, it's already pretty good regardless, that's just an excuse.
We just don't know how soon it will be but boot up Forza Horizon 5 on xCloud, it boots up decently fast and while the res is lower, it's easy to see that once they improve it a bit it's gonna be something special.

There is a good reason why Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Nvidia are investing so heavily in this, this is the promised land.

The entire philosophy of Phil Spencer revolves around this (i think at least), to one day have Xbox be an app that's everywhere on all devices that boots up hundreds of games flawlessly. You just gonna buy a controller and subscription and boom goes the dynamite.

MScarpa

I would respond to you but unfortunately you're extremely biased and it's very clear to see. If you were open minded and not such a staunch Sony fan I would love to discuss this further. With that said, have a wonderful day. ✌️

We just don't know how soon it will be but boot up Forza Horizon 5 on xCloud, it boots up decently fast and while the res is lower, it's easy to see that once they improve it a bit it's gonna be something special.

There is a good reason why Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Nvidia are investing so heavily in this, this is the promised land.

The entire philosophy of Phil Spencer revolves around this (i think at least), to one day have Xbox be an app that's everywhere on all devices that boots up hundreds of games flawlessly. You just gonna buy a controller and subscription and boom goes the dynamite.
I wonder why they are so committed to pushing this he promise land where they have absolute control over how games are played.

Yes, despite that and despite the technology already working, people don't seem to care. Do you play over the cloud?

Bragr

Banned
I wonder why they are so committed to pushing this he promise land where they have absolute control over how games are played.

Yes, despite that and despite the technology already working, people don't seem to care. Do you play over the cloud?
Yeah, I use xCloud on Game Pass to test out bigger games that I don't wanna install just to test. Since it's packed in with Game Pass, why not. Bigger games suffer a bit, but smaller games can be pretty spot on.

What do you mean they have control over how games are played, why does that matter? it's about becoming the premier gaming service.

Yeah, I use xCloud on Game Pass to test out bigger games that I don't wanna install just to test. Since it's packed in with Game Pass, why not. Bigger games suffer a bit, but smaller games can be pretty spot on.

What do you mean they have control over how games are played, why does that matter? it's about becoming the premier gaming service.
So you already have the hardware, you are not a new client. Where are the 2 billion gamers that were just waiting for cloud gaming to become available?

Precisely. Let me guess, they don't count for [insert reason]?
Lmao, ok bro, massive acquisition of a publisher by Sony. Sony was so ahead of the game they did it in 1993, MS took this long to figure out how to do it.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
So you already have the hardware, you are not a new client. Where are the 2 billion gamers that were just waiting for cloud gaming to become available?
I mean, first cloud must work better, as I mentioned before. That's what we are waiting for, the people will come.

MonarchJT

Banned
Schreier is ten times more reliable than that clown Grubb, regardless of how woke he might be.
other than arrogant presumptuous and which does not allow open debate he is and always will be an anti Ms (Xbox) "journalist"...so he always paint everything Ms with the usual negative tones ... exactly as it continues to do. as for me after the foolishness made of himself at the launch of the PS5 (everything he said was wrong) it should be knocked off the pedestal

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
If you build they'll come, but it's already build and nobody showed up.
It's not built, that's the point, it's a work in progress. But at some point, the work will finish. There are hundreds of thousands using xCloud right now, and that is gonna grow exponentially.

Kssio_Aug

If you build they'll come, but it's already built and nobody showed up.
It's not completely built yet. As far as I know, they plan to launch the app on many other devices, including Smart TV, for example. They also need more tech to reduce input-lag, increase image quality, etc.

And the demand is pretty high already... in Brazil sometimes there are queues because of demand. I use it on my low-end laptop that can barely run a games like Skyrim, and it's amazing to be able to play games like Forza Horizon 5 on it. These streaming services are still being developed, and as things progress I'm pretty sure they will be quite well adopted.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Why does everything xbox end up at gamepass. The last great hope that's always in the future.

If my finances were in a better situation, I'm curious as who would be willing to put some money down on weather the deal goes thru or not.

Last edited:
It's not completely built yet. As far as I know, they plan to launch the app on many other devices, including Smart TV, for example. They also need more tech to reduce input-lag, increase image quality, etc.

And the demand is pretty high already... in Brazil sometimes there are queues because of demand. I use it on my low-end laptop that can barely run a games like Skyrim, and it's amazing to be able to play games like Forza Horizon 5 on it. These streaming services are still being developed, and as things progress I'm pretty sure they will be quite well adopted.
I'm from Brazil too, I get the appeal but my main point is that it's attracting people that already play games, it isn't tapping into this mythical untapped market. It comes down to some people choosing cloud instead of paying for hardware but the games themselves still appeal to the same people.

With the price of PC parts and shortages you'd think that it would've exploded by now, but no, it hasn't.

For cloud to appeal to people that don't play traditional games already, games themselves will have to be completely different just like it happens with mobile.

It's not built, that's the point, it's a work in progress. But at some point, the work will finish. There are hundreds of thousands using xCloud right now, and that is gonna grow exponentially.
I bet, just like we saw with Stadia, PSNow and any other service that came before.

Honest question, where are you getting the xCloud numbers? There are probably 10m+ people that already pay for Gamepass Ultimate but how can you tell who is there because of the streaming?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
What was the risk? MS arriving late to the party and using their size and deep pocket to get a piece of the pie?

Ironically the only risk as that they were so focused on it that they became somehow anti gaming on PC during that time and completely missed the boat on the PC market and allowed Steam to spawn there.

There would be no space for Steam to get so big if MS wasn't so concerned about going after Sony.
I don't get the idea that MS making games for PC would have somehow prevented steam from becoming the giant it has become. Steam is a third party store on an open platform that offered a great product. How would have MS hampered their growth?

I don't get the idea that MS making games for PC would have somehow prevented steam from becoming the giant it has become. Steam is a third party store on an open platform that offered a great product. How would have MS hampered their growth?
By having a store on their own OS? MS is the exception on this one, the fact that they can't have a relevant store on their own ecosystem to this day is impressive.

I just figured that if they weren't so clearly anti PC gaming during that time they would've faired better. All they seemed to care about was Xbox, really weird, I guess they just assumed they would steamroll Sony.

To me it's still absurd what Valve was able to pull off. It was also a slow process MS had plenty of time to react but they didn't only tried something when it was way too late.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
other than arrogant presumptuous and which does not allow open debate he is and always will be an anti Ms (Xbox) "journalist"...so he always paint everything Ms with the usual negative tones ... exactly as it continues to do. as for me after the foolishness made of himself at the launch of the PS5 (everything he said was wrong) it should be knocked off the pedestal
Schreier actually put out lots of stories about how much developers were liking the PS5, how easy it was to develop for.

In essence, he debunked the teraflop = more gaming power myth that some people believed in (and you still cling to 😂).

Now wonder you're triggered about one of the few legitimate investigative journalists in gaming - who incidentally did a big expose on crunch culture at Naughty Dog. So much for being a Sony Stan 💩

MonarchJT

Banned
Schreier actually put out lots of stories about how much developers were liking the PS5, how easy it was to develop for.

In essence, he debunked the teraflop = more gaming power myth that some people believed in (and you still cling to 😂).

Now wonder you're triggered about one of the few legitimate investigative journalists in gaming - who incidentally did a big expose on crunch culture at Naughty Dog. So much for being a Sony Stan 💩
i will not answer this post full of ignorance

Wulfer

You mean paid online? There was online before Xbox. The irony is that servers in that era were almost entirely P2P on consoles. If there is one thing I hold against Xbox fans is how they try to spin this as a positive.

Thanks MS! For starting the trend of charging for something that should be free in the first place...

edit: The irony now, is that paid online is what keeps Sony so far ahead in the gaming subscriptions business and one of the things that gives them such an advantage for having a larger market share.
No, the irony is, that's the thing that will allow MS to purchase Activision/Blizzard and others. However, right now you think it's a plus on the Sony side when it's actually far from it. It's one of those games where your going I'm winning, I'm winning. What the hell happened???

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Network latency and lag.

Nvidia are best placed to produce a successful streaming service, but regardless of how many data centres you have, lag is still going to be there.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
By having a store on their own OS? MS is the exception on this one, the fact that they can't have a relevant store on their own ecosystem to this day is impressive.

I just figured that if they weren't so clearly anti PC gaming during that time they would've faired better. All they seemed to care about was Xbox, really weird, I guess they just assumed they would steamroll Sony.

To me it's still absurd what Valve was able to pull off.
That's easy to say with hindsight. What Valve (Gabe) brought to the PC world in 2003 was visionary. Most people, myself included, could not have predicted that "most people" would be completely ok with not owning a physical copy of the software you purchased. That's just not how it was done in those times. You are basically saying that MS should have predicted the future which is not a reasonable stance to have in my opinion.

Broadband changed the face of commerce and many of industries that were successful with the old way of doing business simply were not ready for it. Look at what happened to the retail industry across most of the globe.

I agree it seems odd that MS has such a lack of content on it's current store front, but when you put into perspective that the success of a digital storefront is derived soley from content created by 3rd parties it makes more sense. Developers won't spend money creating content for a storefront where there isn't much financial incentive and consumers won't use storefronts that don't have content.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

John Wick

I don't see how. 🤷‍♂️

"Xbox has no games" --------------> "We need the government to stop this behemoth from taking all games."

Just hilarious to me. I'll never fully get it.
It's not just about monopoly only. It's the fact MS are using their vast wealth from other sources to obtain an advantage. Also they could be taking games away from consumers of other platforms. There would need to be guarantees for such a big publisher. This isn't just a studio like Bungie.
They don't want another situation like Facebook owning WhatsApp and Instagram

Bragr

Banned
I bet, just like we saw with Stadia, PSNow and any other service that came before.

Honest question, where are you getting the xCloud numbers? There are probably 10m+ people that already pay for Gamepass Ultimate but how can you tell who is there because of the streaming?
Stadia and PSNow are behind xCloud right now. It's gonna take time.

The numbers are from Microsoft, they announced it a while back.

Lmao you couldn’t buy a fail for this deal at wish and this is pathetic at this point Jesus what are some of you going to do the day this goes through finally?

Amazon has killed the High St. They definitely need investigating thoroughly.
They all need to be bought in check including Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook.
The high street killed the high street. Higher prices, more inconvenience because of travel and costs to get there, shitty parking situation in busy crowded towns (in the UK at least).

Just like the car killed the horse and cart. Why do they need investigating because they offered a better, cheaper and more convenient solution that everyone clearly wants?

Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom